PDA

View Full Version : Higher Education in Canada and USA

Pages : [1] 2

birbal
November 14th, 2002, 09:01 PM
I would welcome inquiries from jat students who want to come to North America for higher studies. I have a thorough knowledge of the universities in both Canada and USA. Depending on the credentials of a candidate I can suggest which universities are best suited for him/her. I can be of help for M.S. and Ph.D. in Engineering and Business as well as MBA.

Birbal Singh
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Lakehead University
Thunder Bay, Canada

pradeeps
November 15th, 2002, 02:11 PM
hello birbal sir ,thanks for message.i have just completed my B.E in computer science n engg.right now in india market is very tight.pls help me what should i do.
pradeep sehrawat.,delhi,india.

birbal
November 15th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Dear Mr. Sehrawat,

The Computer Science field is in a downturn now but the long term prospects are still good. I need to know where you studied and how well you did in your B.E. If you are a First Class student, I believe you should be able to get into a M.S. program with financial assistance somewhere. Even otherwise it is good idea to upgrade your qualification as immigration to Canada for computer scientists is still not too difficult and future opportunities are excellent. Let me know details of your education.

ajaynehra
November 15th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Sir Namaste

Thanks for your commendable effort atleast to help many JAT students who are willing to study abroad. Eventhough I was looking for someone who can guide me in same direction.

Sir I am B.E in Computer Sc. , 74% marks , topper, from <SIR> Chotu Ram State College of Engineering Murthal, Haryana. I completed my BE in 2000 and I have been working with a well known Telecom MNC as a software engineer since last 2 years.

I have around 2-3 years experiance in the feld of Computer networking also, prior to my BE.

I am seriously looking for an option to persue my higher studies in US. But now a days I am also thinking od PR to Australia or Canada.

Sir , please do advice me in this direction.Although I have a good job in my hand but I always dream to study abroad. I would appreciate if you guide me from where I can get financial assistance and How mush It will cost me. one of my classmate did his MS from Univerity of Southern Claifornia, But it is very costly to persue studies there.

Sir, You are into this education line , so sir , i am sure you are the best guide to me in this regard. It would be so niceof you if you can help me in persuing my higher studies in US.

I can get good recommendations from my college. One of our lecturer , Mr. Punia , he is also in Canada these days.

So sir please guide me ,Will my work experiance help me in getting into a good univeristy with financial assistance.

Sorry sir for asking too many questions, I hope you won't mind.

Please do communicate to me : any further information do you need to give me more accurate guidance, please let me know.

Best Regards

Ajay Nehra

ajay_nehra@yahoo.com
desijaat@lycos.com

Dr. Birbal Singh (Nov 14, 2002 10:31 a.m.):
I would welcome inquiries from jat students who want to come to North America for higher studies. I have a thorough knowledge of the universities in both Canada and USA. Depending on the credentials of a candidate I can suggest which universities are best suited for him/her. I can be of help for M.S. and Ph.D. in Engineering and Business as well as MBA.

Birbal Singh
Lakehead University
Thunder Bay, Canada

birbal
November 15th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Dear Mr. Nehra,

It would be my great pleasure if I can help few good Jat boys and girls in pursuing their goals for higher education.

Your credentials seem excellent. You would have no difficulty in getting Immigration for Canada. But my advice to you is to come to Canada or USA for M.S. in your field next September. It would help you immensly if you put some effort in writing the GRE which you can do on line. I suggest you prepare for it to do your best. If you do very well in GRE your chances of getting financial assistance will improve greatly even though you are not from one of the IITs. Even if you do not do extremely well, I will suggest you some decent universities (other than the top tier) where you can get admission. Some of these may not be very expensive. Most good students who come here without financial assistance initially, usually get some assistance soon. In the meantime after being here for a year as a graduate student you can apply for and obtain immigration.
I am quite optimistic for your future. I will write you more on your personal email but I am writing here to give idea to other students who may read this.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

ajaynehra
November 15th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Thanks a lot sir for your prompt response. I am sure you are going to make my dream come true one day. I appreciate your altruistic nature and ameliorating efforts for JAT community.

It gives me immence pleasure when I come to know any successfull JAt anywahere in world. It would be my pleasure to help JAT community as whole if someday I will at some position. I feel JATs need to do a lot in helping each other and becoming highly educated. There is no end to learning sir , but educational qualifications do metter.

Ok sir , I hope if you don't mind , can I be in touch with you in future also.

Best Regards

Ajay Nehra

birbal
November 16th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Ajay,

Of course, feel free to contact me any time. Right now if you email me a resume with details of work and education, I can give some specific suggestions.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

sandeepbalyan
November 16th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Hi Sir
Iam sandeep ,27yrs ,I did My BE electronics in 1997 with 64 % Since than I started working in Telecom and than switched to Software .I have more than 4 yrs of experience. Right now Iam working in a Government dept of BAHRAIN as a software professional.My Wife is A doctor Did her MBBS From Russia and Was working in INDIA.I want to is the Best Option For Us TO Migrate canada if it is than How much time can it take .Sir Do it help if u have any relative in canada Or shd I try For Admission In any university to get more chances for nice opportunity .Sir U r help is required.
waiting for u r answer

Take Care
Best Regards
sandeep

anurag
November 16th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Hi Sandeep,

For information on immigration to Canada, I would advise you to contact Col. Virendra Tavathia (Retd.) at veeru_tav@yahoo.com. His profile can be found in members list. I read a post from him once, and got in otuch with him as well. He is into vanandian immigration consulting thing i think.

cheers
Anurag

dpdagar
November 16th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Hi Sandeep,
Canadian immigration is a very simple process , i do'nt think, a qualified person like you need any professional consulting help (in my opinion it will be a wastage of money).

make sure u or ur spouse satisfy following criteria
1.Post graduate degree( husband or wife )
2. minimum 4 yrs experience ...any field
3. can speak, read write english
4. under the age of 45

if you satisfy above conditions and you are medically fit...
definitely you can get immigration at you own.

please visit this site
www.cic.gc.ca
and look for indepandant immigrant guides and forms.
go through all documents and prepare your own application.

I am a canadian immigrant... i did my immigration at my own..
if you need any help related to the process or documentation please drop me a mail.

NOTE : ABOVE INFORMATION IS FOR ALL JATS

sandeepbalyan
November 16th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Hi Sir
Thanks for u r answers
Where can I mail u as Iam very keen for this but require guidance.
Best Regards
sandeep

dpdagar
November 16th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Hi Sandeep,
please see ur mail(hotmail)...i have forward u some information.

sandeepbalyan
November 16th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Hi Sir
Thanks for u r help
Regards
sandeep

birbal
November 16th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Sandeep,

As stated in other messages, you are fully qualified for immigration to Canada on your own. You should apply as soon as possible as processing the application may take one year or longer. Just one suggestion, after you aply, just take few lesons in French as it will add marks (you need 75 out of 100).
I see no difficulty in getting immigration. However, the chances of your wife getting anything in Canada are almost zero at present, but you need not worry, as she can write USMLEs (US Medical Licensing Exam) and if she does well there is good chance of getting some residency in US.
So look up at www.gc.ca and click English and then services for non-canadians. You get clear information on skilled worker criteria.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

sandeepbalyan
November 17th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Thanks to all

Best regards

sandeep

rsdalal
November 17th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Dr Birbal Singh ji, Dagar Bhai and Anurag,
Good community service, keep it up.

...Ranvir

birbal
November 17th, 2002, 10:37 PM
I have received many inquiries directly to my office email and I have responded to all so far.

I am President of the Faculty Association at my university and will be away for a meeting in Ottawa from Nov. 20-25 next week. So, if I
do not respond for several days please do not feel that I am ignoring any one. I will respond to all once I come back.

Birbal Singh

rahulgochhwal
November 18th, 2002, 01:05 AM
Dear Doctor Saab,
I cant thank you enough for your help and valuable advice.I am sure your help and advice will go a long way in helping me gain admission into a good grad school. I really wish we had more people like you.
Thanx again,
rahul

ranjitjat
November 18th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Dear Dr Birbal singh
Welcome to the jatland.
You are doing great service to the jat community- many congratulations.
& Best wishes.
Thank you very much.

tajveer
November 29th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Dear Mr. Birbal Singh,
It is good to see your posting on the site for such a noble thinking(helping others to rise in life). Iam a Jat boy from Delhi. My Educational Qualifications are:-

1) B.E (Electronics) from Pune University With second Class.

2) MBA(Diploma) in Marketing and Information Technology from Delhi with First Class.
I did my MBA from FORE SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT after clearing CAT examination for management.

3) Approximately 3(1/2) years of Work Experience in the field of Marketing and Information Technology.

Presently Iam working in a software MNC in CRMG department(Customer Relationship Management Group).

I would to like to proceed for a P.hd program in Management(Marketing). I need your help in this regard. Please comment on my chances of Getting an admission (and Financial Aid ) in America or Canada for the P.hd program.

With Regards,
Tajveer Solanki

birbal
November 29th, 2002, 09:46 PM
Dear Mr. Solanki,

If you are interested in completing a Ph.D. in Business you need to do the following:

First, you have to write GMAT and do extremely well. It can be written on-line from India, but I suggest you prepare thoroughly before writing the test.

Second, you will need excellent letters of recommendations. The people you choose to write reference letters should know what to write. They have to provide evidence for the content of their letter. One thing they have to write certainly is that your Second Division in your B.E. does not reflect your true ability and that you possess intellect, personality, inter-personal skills and leadership skills that are required for acceptance in a good Ph.D. programme.
Third, you will need to write a real good statement of purpose as to why you want to pursue Ph.D. and how it relates to your background and future plans. You can look at few university websites for the kind of things they want you to include in a personal statement.
If you make a concerted effort I think you can be successful. But at the same time I feel you have good chances of succeeding in getting immigration as an independent skilled worker to Canada. If you apply now it may take an year or more, but once you arrive as an immigrant you have lots of rights and entitlements to financial assistance for doing Ph.D.
I hope these comments are of help to you.
Good luck and keep in touch with me.

Birbal Singh

navneet
November 30th, 2002, 01:24 AM
hello sir
i m very glad 2 know that u r showing interest for better upliftment of our community.
m p.g. in mass communication &want 2 do higher study in this area.could u help me sir?now i m working with a leading media organisation of india.tell me sir any institute is there which offers such kind of courses with scholership.thank u sir

birbal
November 30th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Dear Mr. Poonia,

I do not have any personal contacts in this field but I know about the well known Schools in Journalism and Mass Communication.

I suggest you go to the website http://www.jrn.Columbia.edu/ an click on admission and click on the Sample test. You judge yourself how well you do on the last year's test. If yo think you can do really well I will suggest you few Schools in Canada and USA.

Good luck.
Birbal Singh

navneet
December 1st, 2002, 10:35 PM
thank you sir

navneetpoonia

jogi
December 7th, 2002, 11:49 PM
hello sir,
u r doing really good help for jat students..i really appreciate that..

jogi

crsnadar
January 4th, 2003, 05:19 PM
NAME - RAHUL SINGH NADAR

crsnadar
January 4th, 2003, 05:22 PM
NAME - RAHUL SINGH NADAR
B-TECH 7th SEM
75%
ELECTRONICS & COMM.

PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT
-EXPECTED FEE WITH OR WITHOUT SCHOLARSHIP
-PREPERATION
-SCOPE
-FORMALITIES
THANKING YOU

birbal
January 4th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Dear Rahul,
It is difficult to give precise advice without
knowing some more details such as where
you are studying now. But, in general I can
state that a large number of Indian students
come for higher education in engineering to
USA and Canada and I have not known any
one who has not done well because the
standard of engineering education in India
is very good. Of course, the IITs have the
highest reputation.
To come over here with financial assistance
you need to do well on GRE and TOEFL and
have three very good recommendation letters
from your professors. Finally, your rank in your
class is very important. For example the top
student from a Regional Engineering College
will be preferred over a lower ranked student
from an IIT.
I feel the field of electronics/communication is
very good because the economy is cyclic in
nature and although the demand in this field
is depressed at present, it will be very good in
a few years when you complete your M.S. or
Ph.D. When I look at the last 35 years of my
life here I have seen it is better to be in a
field when it is down as it will be up soon.
Regarding costs, most Indian students come
on some sort of financial assistance (at least
in Engineering), but those who come on their
own usually find some marking or research
assistantship after the first semester because
Indian students have a reputaion for being
smart and hard workers. The cost is very high
in US private schools but is reasonable at
many State Universities and in Canada. One
can manage the first year on 6-8 lacs of
Rupees but as I stated most students manage
to have some income within first 4 months. Of
course, if you have some close relative/friend
here, it helps a lot.
I hope this information helps. The time is
running out for application for admission in
Fall 2003 so if you want to make a serous
effort, let me know your details soon and
I will give you specific suggestions.
Good luck.
Birbal Singh

crsnadar
January 5th, 2003, 05:25 PM
HELLO
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2003 TO ALL
NAME->RAHUL SINGH NADAR
AGE-> 21
QUALIFICATION-> B-TECH(ELEC. & C0MM.)7th SEMESTER

PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT THE FEE RANGE WITH OR WITHOUT SCHOLARSHIP
FORMALITIES??
REQUIREMENTS??
GOOD A GRADE COLLEGES??
SUGGESTION.

THANKS

birbal
January 5th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Typical expenses for one year and recent GRE
(quantitaive) scores of entering students in
engineering in USA:

The best universities in Electronics/Communication:
MIT - $45,000 GRE 767
Stanford - $50,000 GRE 770
UC Berkeley - $30,000 GRE 761

Excellent Universities:
University of Michigan - $36,000 GRE 768
University of Illinois - $25,000 GRE 771
Georgia Tech. - $22,000 GRE 760

Good and affordable:

Iowa State - $17,000 GRE 774
Wichita State - $13,000
Louisiana Tech. $12,500 GRE 736
Brigham Young University - $12,000 GRE 735
Univ of Utah - $10,500 GRE 745

Of course, there are a large number of u
univerities in North America and I have to know
details of a student before I suggest specific
schools.

rahulgochhwal
January 5th, 2003, 11:38 PM
Dear doctor saab namashkar.

And Ch. Rahul bhai, I can also help at the india end with some advice for exam prepration and other stuff as I have written my GRE recently and presently I am in the final stages of applying. Doctor saheb is a very good authority in this field and his help and advice is invaluable.
So in case u need any study material or any other information relating to GRE, do conact me at rgochwal@yahoo.com.
bye,
rahul

ajaynehra
January 6th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Respected Dr. Birbal ji

I have already updated u about my profile few days back, I was trying for immigration to Australia, but unfortunately they have changed their rues and now they seek 04 years work ex after graduation and I am only having 02 yeasr work ex in software agter B.Tech. Please guide me If I have any scope in Canada or US....

May be In studies or Permanent Immigration.

Best Regards

Ajay Nehra

ajay_nehra@yahoo.com
desijaat@lycos.com

Birbal Singh
Lakehead University
Thunder Bay, Canada

akdabas
January 6th, 2003, 10:56 PM
Very Educational and Informative.

Thanks of updating the members of the Jatland for this information.

birbal
January 7th, 2003, 04:07 AM
Hi Ajay,

As I wrote you earlier, you have good chances
of immigration to Canada. But, if you want to
come as a student, that should not be very
difficult because you are ranked first in your
class. Your admission to M.S. is certain and
there is some chance you may get financial
assistance if you do very well on GRE and you
have reliable recommendations.

In case you are unable to get scholarship in
advance, and you can afford about $20,000
Canadian (6 lacs Rupees) you can come as a
student and change your status as immigrant
after one year (you get points for having
studied in Canada).

If you want to come as a student, you have to
hurry up as application time for financial aid is
February 1 in most places and even Jan 15 at
some places.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

dramalik
January 7th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Sir,
Thank you for offering your time and expertise. I'm an MBBS from one of the best colleges in India- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune (AFMC) and am interested in studying further in Public Health/Psychopharmacology in the US. I intend to give GRE in a couple of months and would appreciate any tips and advise you feel may be helpful to me. Thank you.

birbal
January 7th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Dear Dr. Malik,

I will be glad to assist you in any manner I can.
In fact, one of our best friends is the Head of
Department of Pharmacology at the University
of Western Ontario in Canada. It is one of the
best universities and of course, I can find from
him the information about US school. also
know people in public health as both of my
children are medical doctors.

Birbal Singh

singh_ranvir
January 11th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Dear Dr. Birbal,

being a student , i would like to thankful to you that you helping the coming community generation at such a point where they need a good guidance and little bit push to achieve goals in there life.
thanks a lot !

dadaharidasji
February 26th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Dear Sir,

I have done my MCA(Masters in Computer Application) from MDUniversity,Rohtak with 74.6% Agg.
I want to further purse studies doin MS(Computer Science) or MBA(IT).Can u plz guide me in this regards with necessary educational and financial requiusites.

birbal
February 26th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Dear Vikas,

I think you would have no problem getting admission to MS in Computer Science but getting financial assistance immediately is difficult. As far as MBA is concerned, you need to have a couple of years of experience to get admission in good MBA programs. Also, for MBA graduates, the job opportunities and starting salary depend a lot on the ranking of the university, while for a M.S. in Computer Science the ranking of the university is not as important although one should try to go to the best possible university.

So, for you, I would suggest M.S. in Computer Science is better option. In judging applicants the rank in the graduating class is more important than the marks. Also, if you prepare hard and do very well on GRE, it will help you a lot. You will need 3 very good recommendation letters.

Usually, those students who come without any financial assistance can get some help after one semester if they work hard and do well. Further, you can earn some money during the Summer.

The cost of education for the first year (hoping that you will get some funding in the second year) varies widely ranging from US $13,000 to $40,000. But just because some university is inexpensive, it does'nt mean the education quality is bad. There are some excellent state universities with reasonable fees.

Depending upon what is your affordibility range I can suggest you few universities. One Jat girl came last month (January semester) on my advice to Wyoming to do MS in computer science and she is doing fine so far. Wyoming is one of the low cost universities.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

kvsiitd
March 1st, 2003, 04:11 AM
Dear Sir,

It is really heartening to know that you are doing thsi kind of service for the community.
My query is in the same regard. First a little bit about me.
I am a final year student of Chemical Engineering at IIT Delhi. I am very interested in pursuig my graduate studies in USA. I will like to join program PHD in one of the reputed university. I have already worked towards achieving this goal of mine.
I have already applied in few universities. I will like to seek your advice as well as help in the same regard.
If you have time I can mail you my resume as well the list of universities where I have applied.
Thanks in advance.

Krishna Veer Singh

mbamal
March 1st, 2003, 06:16 AM
Hello guys....

I see a lot of people talking about studying in US or Canada...I think u guys should also look for options outside us...may b europe...I am doing my PhD from a leading R&D Center in belgium...Places like belgium offer a lot of opputnuties if you are interested in good research career...I did my grad from IIT delhi in Elec Engg..inspite of havin few offers from US i opted for belgium...If u wanna go to us make sure that u land up in some good univ like MIT, StanF, Berkeley, Caltech, UIUC, Irvine...otherwise its no use doin it frm a B grad school in US.....even for guys interested in MBA...europe offers some exciting oppurtunites...specially germany..check out...

http://newdelhi.daad.de

I really like the efforts of ppl like Dr. singh in the wider interest of JAT community...its definitely a gr8 effort...any JAT bhai interested in knowing more abt studying in europe..pls email me at...bamal@india.com

Ram Ram,

birbal
March 1st, 2003, 06:31 AM
Dear Krisnaveer,

I wish you had communicated with me earlier, but I am sure you have taken right steps to go to a good graduate program in USA. As you know IITs always had good reputation (I am IITB 1965 batch), but at present due to the CBS 60 Minutes show everyone wants IIT students. I know IIT students with GPA as low as 7.0 out of 10 and getting 4.0 out of 4.0 here.

Let me know any help you need from my side. It is a great pleasure to know about so many bright Jat boys and girls on this site. Going from a village to IIT Bombay in 1960 (it was 5 years after Higher Secondary then) I missed company of people with complete rural background like me.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

birbal
March 1st, 2003, 06:45 AM
Mandeep,

You are right about opportunities of higher education in many countries. I know of my Canadian friends going to European countries with NATO scholarship and having opportunity of a first rate education. However, the most important advantage we have in USA and Canada is the language. Now it is well recognized that Indians have great communication skills when it comes to written communication. Also, by now we have a large community for social interaction here. Though it was pretty tough almost 35 years ago when I came. Now, we can get all Indian groceries, can go to a variety of Indian restaurants and have good company.

I would agree with you that one should try to go to the best possible place. So first choice is top North American Schools and then better to go to first rate European schools rather than American B schools.

At the same time I would say that if someone is not interested in a Ph.D. and just wants to find a good job after a M.S., there is not much difference where you went to school. It is better to be the top student at Wyoming than bottom student at MIT.

You have made a good choice in Belgium and I hope others learn from you and apply to both American and European schools and choose the best available school.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

dahbal
October 10th, 2003, 10:06 AM

Birbal Singh
Lakehead University
Thunder Bay, Canada

Dear Sir ,
Can you provide me help regarding research project(Phd) in Neural network,artificial Intelligence,Advanced Object-oriented database research project in universities of US/CANADA/AUSTRALIA?I am highly interested in doing Phd in computer science based on space projects.What is the procedure for research project and which one are the universities?
I have done MCA and doing job for last three years.

I am a little bit confused regarding the research materials.Where will I get the text materials for research which no body had done yet in computer science?Any managzine or web site where I'll get the related material?

Actually one of my friend told me that for research project(Phd) you have to find out the topic on which you are doing Phd and then to write that research project in 500 to 1000 words.After that you have to send that to all universities for Phd.I want any project on space.

I hope that I'll do some great for our jat community & for our country like Kalpana Chawla done.

Also scholarship also depends on the project text materials.

Can anybody tell me how I should write the project thesis for phd and where I'll get that materials?

May be there will be few jat members who had done Phd from US/CANADA or Australia?

My personal mail-id is bdahiya@yahoo.com or dahbal@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Balraj Dahiya

anujkumar
October 10th, 2003, 10:55 AM
http://usapply.tripod.com/

This site can be read to have an idea about how the whole thing works. Toughest part is making right selection in which you have to valuate and match your credentials with the Universities. Talking to lot's of people who have been there helps.

ADD: Do a google yourself and you get all the information required (formal and informal).

birbal
October 10th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Dear Balraj,

Your desire to pursue a Ph.D. is commendable and I am sure you will accomplish it soon. The best strategy I can suggest is that you email me your biodata including all details of your courses and marks. As Anuj wrote, it is important to match one's credentials to a university, and I can assist you in doing just that.

In the meantime you prepare for and write GRE. The material for preparing for GRE is easily available in India. It is very important for non-IIT students to do well on GRE. Further, I would strongly recommend writing Advanced GRE as many unversities insist on it for Ph.D. admission. You will also need to write TOEFL, but that is really trivial. I have not known any Indian student doing poorly on TOEFL.

The usual time frame for completing applications is January-February, so you have lot to do in the next 3-4 months. Of course, you will need at least 3 good reference letters, but I feel you will not have any problems in that area.

I have a reliable lab technologist who can do internet search for professors who have research grants in the area of your interest. In Canada, the professors get grants from NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada) and in the USA from NSF (National Science Foundation) and several other funding agencies.

Finally, I appreciate your desire to do Ph.D., but some universities may want you to do M.S. before you are admitted to Ph.D., and it may not be a bad idea, because if you do very well, they will just convert your status to a Ph.D. student after the first year.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

dahbal
October 10th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 10, 2003 07:38 a.m.):
Dear Balraj,

Your desire to pursue a Ph.D. is commendable and I am sure you will accomplish it soon. The best strategy I can suggest is that you email me your biodata including all details of your courses and marks. As Anuj wrote, it is important to match one's credentials to a university, and I can assist you in doing just that.

In the meantime you prepare for and write GRE. The material for preparing for GRE is easily available in India. It is very important for non-IIT students to do well on GRE. Further, I would strongly recommend writing Advanced GRE as many unversities insist on it for Ph.D. admission. You will also need to write TOEFL, but that is really trivial. I have not known any Indian student doing poorly on TOEFL.

The usual time frame for completing applications is January-February, so you have lot to do in the next 3-4 months. Of course, you will need at least 3 good reference letters, but I feel you will not have any problems in that area.

I have a reliable lab technologist who can do internet search for professors who have research grants in the area of your interest. In Canada, the professors get grants from NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada) and in the USA from NSF (National Science Foundation) and several other funding agencies.

Finally, I appreciate your desire to do Ph.D., but some universities may want you to do M.S. before you are admitted to Ph.D., and it may not be a bad idea, because if you do very well, they will just convert your status to a Ph.D. student after the first year.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot for information and nice appreciations.I'll send you my resume tomorrow after complete every thing.

But someone told me that there is no need of GRE for the Canadian/Australia Universities.They only asked for IELTS test for admission.Is it true ? But I don't have any idea about it.

Again thanks for lots of informations.

Regards,
Balraj Dahiya

birbal
October 10th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Balraj,

It is true that some universities do not insist on GRE, but a good GRE score always helps. It is even more important for students who are not from IITs to enhance their credentials.

There is no risk in writing both general and advanced GRE as you decide to choose places to apply after knowing how well you have done.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

dahbal
October 11th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 10, 2003 08:50 a.m.):
Balraj,

It is true that some universities do not insist on GRE, but a good GRE score always helps. It is even more important for students who are not from IITs to enhance their credentials.

There is no risk in writing both general and advanced GRE as you decide to choose places to apply after knowing how well you have done.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dear Sir,

Good Morning!!

Thanks for your lots of effort atleast to help many JAT students who are willing to study abroad.
I am MCA(master of Computer Science & Application). , 67% marks , from Guru Jambeshwar University Hisar,Haryana. I completed my MCA in 2000 and I have been working with a well known us based mnc in New Delhi as a software engineer since last 3 years.
Before that I have done B.Sc(Phy,chem,Math) from Hindu College Sonepat,Haryana with 67% marks under MD University Rohtak in 1997.

I have around 3 years experiance in the field of UNIX & Linux operating system(Development and Testing of operating System)

I am seriously looking for an option to persue my higher studies in US/CANADA. But now a days I am also thinking about PR to Australia or Canada.

Sir , please do advice me in this direction.Although I have a good job in my hand but I always dream to study abroad. I would appreciate if you guide me from where I can get financial assistance and How mush It will cost me. But it is very costly to persue studies there.

Sir, You are into this education line , so sir , i am sure you are the best guide to me in this regard. It would be so niceof you if you can help me in persuing my higher studies in US.

So sir please guide me ,Will my work experiance help me in getting into a good univeristy with financial assistance.

Please do communicate to me : any further information do you need to give me more accurate guidance, please let me know.

I am sorry because due to some time problem I have made the modification of Mr. Nehra's mail.

Thanks & Regards
Balraj Dahiya

dahbal
October 11th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 10, 2003 08:50 a.m.):
Balraj,

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dear Sir,

Again thanks of helping me.
Sir,problem is not of GRE but problem is that I am doing job and not getting time for GRE prep.Without good prep. we couldn't get good scores.For GRE I have to leave my job but that is not possible because I don't belongs to a rich family.

Please suggest me what I'll do in such a situation.

Regards,
Balraj Dahiya

birbal
October 11th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Dear Balraj,

Looking at your credentials and taking into account you desire for higher studies, I suggest you apply for immigration to Canada. Effective Sept 8, 2003 the requirement for immigration to Canada has been reduced to 67 marks instead of the previous 75. You automatically qualify for immigration.

Once you are accepted as an immigrant you will have no difficulty in fulfilling your desire to enhance your qualifications.

These rules may change agai so I suggest you waste no time in applying for immigration.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

dahbal
October 11th, 2003, 11:16 PM
Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 11, 2003 10:13 a.m.):
Dear Balraj,

Looking at your credentials and taking into account you desire for higher studies, I suggest you apply for immigration to Canada. Effective Sept 8, 2003 the requirement for immigration to Canada has been reduced to 67 marks instead of the previous 75. You automatically qualify for immigration.

Once you are accepted as an immigrant you will have no difficulty in fulfilling your desire to enhance your qualifications.

These rules may change agai so I suggest you waste no time in applying for immigration.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dear Sir,

Thanks for information.Can you provide me informations about the documents required for Canada Immigration?

Is IELTS test is must for Canada Immigration?
Is the 10th certificate is enough for proof of date of birth? Because I don't have any birth certificate from hospital.
What about medical certificates? Where will I get contact for this?

I wanna know all details before applying for canada immigration.

Thanks & Regards,
Balraj Dahiya

birbal
October 12th, 2003, 02:01 AM
Dear Balraj,

IELTS will be required but that is just before the interview which may take one and half to two years as there is a big waiting list in New Delhi office of the Canadian High Commission.

The 10th grade certificate is recognized as official birth certificate. Most of us do not have a birth certificate.

To get the complete information and to make sure yourself go to the Canadian Government website http://www.gc.ca and click English, then click the section for Non-Canadians and you will find all the details and a self assessment which you can take to make sure that you meet the qualifications.

I think the current fee (for application in New Delhi) is around Rs. 30,000, which is not much the rights and entitlements for Canadian immigrants are one of the best in the world.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

dahbal
October 12th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 11, 2003 04:31 p.m.):
Dear Balraj,

IELTS will be required but that is just before the interview which may take one and half to two years as there is a big waiting list in New Delhi office of the Canadian High Commission.

The 10th grade certificate is recognized as official birth certificate. Most of us do not have a birth certificate.

To get the complete information and to make sure yourself go to the Canadian Government website http://www.gc.ca and click English, then click the section for Non-Canadians and you will find all the details and a self assessment which you can take to make sure that you meet the qualifications.

I think the current fee (for application in New Delhi) is around Rs. 30,000, which is not much the rights and entitlements for Canadian immigrants are one of the best in the world.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot.

Can you tell me one more thing for how many years IELTS score is valid or recognised after clearing once?

Where from I'll download the application form and to whom I'll contact for checking my application form after complete filling?

Actually I want to proceed carefully so that I'll not loose this chance.

Thanks & Regards,
Balraj Dahiya

birbal
October 12th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Balraj,

If you go on to the Canadian government website Http://www.gc.ca/ and click English, and then Click sevices for non-Canadians, click English again and then click on immigrating, on the left hand frame of the page click on Embassies and Consulates and find all the details from New Delhi site of the Canadian Consulate. It is fairly straightforward.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

dahbal
October 13th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot.

I am a little bit confused regarding the case of skilled worker they have written something like in NOC elligble skilled workers
Computer Engineer(Except Software Engineer)
but my designation is also software engineer in my company.When I'll get the experience certificate my boss will write in my experience letter worked as a "software engineer".
May be it'll create me problem in my immigration to Canada?

What should I enter in the location in "Where do you intend to live in Canada?

1 City/Town :

2. Province :

which one is suitable place in Canada for indian in point of view of jobs as well as livings?

Sir,kindly suggest me what will I do?

Thanks & Regards,
Balraj Dahiya

Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 12, 2003 07:59 a.m.):
Balraj,

If you go on to the Canadian government website Http://www.gc.ca/ and click English, and then Click sevices for non-Canadians, click English again and then click on immigrating, on the left hand frame of the page click on Embassies and Consulates and find all the details from New Delhi site of the Canadian Consulate. It is fairly straightforward.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

birbal
October 13th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Balraj,

Software Engineers are also in demand. They have a different code number which you find under letter "s".

For the location of your choice you can list any place but add that you are flexible. Most immigrants come to Toronto but you will have better chance of getting immigration if you say you are willing to go where my skills are needed.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

dahbal
October 13th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Dear Sir,

Thank you.

I don't know about the demands of skill.I think they haven't mention anywhere on immigration about demands of particular skills in particluar location.
But I'll search it over internet.

Thanks & Regards,
Balraj Dahiya

Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 13, 2003 07:37 a.m.):
Balraj,

Software Engineers are also in demand. They have a different code number which you find under letter "s".

For the location of your choice you can list any place but add that you are flexible. Most immigrants come to Toronto but you will have better chance of getting immigration if you say you are willing to go where my skills are needed.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

dahbal
October 15th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Dear Sir,

Can you tell me individually how I am qualifying 67 points? I am a little bit confused on the way they have given marks.They have given 0 marks in case of age in master degree and 10 in case of bachlor degree.
Please clarify me.

Thanks & Regards,
Balraj Dahiya

Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 11, 2003 10:13 a.m.):
Dear Balraj,

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

birbal
October 15th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Balraj,

You click on the self assessment (take the test) and find for yourself that you meet the requirement.

All applicants between the age of 21 and 49 years get 10 marks for the age; you get at least 22 marks for a Bachelor's degree (25 for those with Bachelor's and Master's); 21 marks for 4 years' experience (19 for 3 years, 17 for 2 years), 16 for fluency in English (additional marks for even the minimum knowledge of French; just take one course in French). So, it is very easy to total up to 67 even for those who have no family member in Canada (5 marks), and those who are single ( up to 5 marks for an educated spouse).

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

dahbal
October 16th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot.

I am highly grateful to you for providing me lots of informations and help.

Thanks & Regards,
Balraj Dahiya

Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 15, 2003 10:40 a.m.):
Balraj,

You click on the self assessment (take the test) and find for yourself that you meet the requirement.

All applicants between the age of 21 and 49 years get 10 marks for the age; you get at least 22 marks for a Bachelor's degree (25 for those with Bachelor's and Master's); 21 marks for 4 years' experience (19 for 3 years, 17 for 2 years), 16 for fluency in English (additional marks for even the minimum knowledge of French; just take one course in French). So, it is very easy to total up to 67 even for those who have no family member in Canada (5 marks), and those who are single ( up to 5 marks for an educated spouse).

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

viresh
October 17th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Respected sir,
sir i have recently completed my MCA from U.P.Technical University with 76%. sir i am intersted in MS course in computer science but i am really confuse how to start with applying and what r the elegiblity criteria for various couse, sir please mail me ur email id so i may send u my detail resume. sir my email id is vireshmor@hotmail.com
sir i hope to hear from u soon
thank you

bhuvanmirdha
October 19th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Dear Birbal Sir

I am Bhuvan and presently am pursuing my M.Tech (like MS) final year in Industrial and Management Engineering (IME) from IIT Kanpur with GPA of 8.5/10 (B.Tech (Hons) in Mechanical Engg. from Rajasthan). I am campus placed in TATA MOTORS (Telco) as Asst. Manager with handsome salery. But due to a zeal of study, a strong desire to boost the career for consultancy and main I wish to settle in US/canada, I am planning to do MS/ PhD (as I can't afford the US MBA expense, and due to some research orientation) from a good university/B-School in supply chain management(SCM)/oprations/finance/O.R. from US after one or two years of my job work ex. But still I am puzzled that whether this would be the best option or I should shuffle the jobs in India to achieve this goal.
Plz reply with your valuable suggestions.
And I wish to continue contacts with you for your valuble advises and guidance in my current studies, as this really benificial to me.

With Regards
Bhuvan

bhuvanmirdha
October 19th, 2003, 11:48 PM
Dear Birbal Sir

I forgot to mention some information about me.

Resume:
http://home.iitk.ac.in/student/bhuvan/bhuvan.html

Home Page: http://home.iitk.ac.in/student/bhuvan

Mail Id: bhuvan@iitk.ac.in

And presently I am working on a project of intellectual property rights and patents information system with technology mapping
as my M.Tech one year acadmic project(Thesis, as in IIT we have one year thesis in which we have to do some research work of one year). In this me and my guide Dr. AK Mittal( http://www.iitk.ac.in/ime/mittal ) are developing a web site for patents for indian researchers and users and then will work on Technology Mapping through patents with some certain rules and huge data base. This will be connected with US, European and Japanese patents sites.
This project is an official project of Ministery Of Information technology, India and funded by the same.

Hope this information will be useful to suggest me for my questions.

With Regards
Bhuvan

birbal
October 20th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Bhuvan,

For those who want to pursue an MBA it is valuable to obtain a couple of experience in a reputed company like Tatas. However, as you rightfully stated MBA in USA is fairly expensive.

For those who want to pursue Ph.D., it is better to complete it as soon as possible because whether you become an assistant professor or join industrial sector, it will be mainly based on your Ph.D. only. Also, if you are admitted to a Ph.D. program you will definitely be fully financed.

You are in a fortunate situation as you already have a position in a highly reputed company. So I would suggest that you accept your job but apply for Ph.D. in the best schools in the field such as Purdue, Georgia Tech., University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin, and University of California Berkeley. Because you have a good job offer, I am saying it is worth going for the top schools only.

I also suggest that you make an effort to publish your M.Tech. work as it will help greatly in getting funding.

Another option is work a couple of years in Tatas and try your best to get into IIM as the reputation of IIM is as good as that of any top US business chools. But I think you will get into Ph.D. anyway.

Good luck.
Birbal Singh

birbal
October 20th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Viresh,

Currently, it is quite tough to get scholarship for MS but getting admission is not that difficult. If you send me your details at birbal.singh@lakeheadu.ca I will suggest you some schools.

Birbal Singh

viresh (Oct 16, 2003 03:35 p.m.):
Respected sir,
sir i have recently completed my MCA from U.P.Technical University with 76%. sir i am intersted in MS course in computer science but i am really confuse how to start with applying and what r the elegiblity criteria for various couse, sir please mail me ur email id so i may send u my detail resume. sir my email id is vireshmor@hotmail.com
sir i hope to hear from u soon
thank you

bhuvanmirdha
October 20th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Dear Birbal Sir
Thank you very much for your valuble advise.

dchhill
October 22nd, 2003, 11:02 PM
Hi! Dr.
With reference to your article, posted on this site, I would like to ask a few questions from you.

I am in US right now.I have not completed my masters but I am doing it at present.It will take me atleast 1 more year to complete it.
My points as skilled worker are 63.

1.If i take a course in french then I will qualify.Is it good for me to take french in the next semester and then qualify.
2.Will it be okay to hire a lawyer or should I do all the processing myself.
3.How much will a good lawyer charge me.
4.Can I put my file and write that I know french in it, before enrolling in the french classes.

I would be grateful to You, If you could help me on this subject.

Thanks for giving Time to Young jat students.

Divya Chhillar

birbal
October 22nd, 2003, 11:30 PM
The time period for processing of Canadian Immigration seems to have increased to more than one year to almost two years so it is better to apply right away. By the time your interview comes along you will likely have your French Course done (it is not too difficult to acquire basic conversational ability, and no one expects you to be fluent in both languages). If you are working as a TA or RA you can count it as legitimate experience and couple of more points.

The bottom line is that the Canadian govt has figured out that they need immigrants to reduce the effects of declining birth rate and who better to accept than those who are already in North America.

Do not waste your money on lawyers. I did all the work myself more than 30 years ago, now the technology makes it so easy.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

choudharysaaab
November 25th, 2003, 10:05 PM
namaskar sir!
i m pursuing my M.Tech . in aquacultural engineering from IIT Kharagpur ,after completion of B.E. in agriculture engineering
from CTAE,Udaipur,Rajasthan.
currently my end sem exams are going on...after my first sem i have to choose some project work ...so ...i m in search of an industry oriented project...though institute will provide me a project itself at institute...but...a project out side..or ..at some industry ll help me in career building...as u know career prospects in agriculture engg/aquaculture engg in India are not better at this time...
im interested specially in food engineering or processing .
the project may be a training type...we can get project at some compenies like Pfizer,which are using fish processing for preparation fo some medicine....
or there may be some long year specialised training at some research institution/organization/university college or so...
if u can help me ???...
i hv consulted my faculty advisor ,he is not having any objection if i can arrange some project out side....

thanks...
Hemant...

birbal
November 30th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Hemant,

I was out of town for few days so read your message late. The only person I know in Agriculture Engineering is Digvir Singh Jayas (who is really well known and is Vice-President, Research in the University of Manitoba), but his area is mainly storage of grain and drying of grain. My suggestion to you is to complete your project and degree at IIT Kgp and try for Ph.D. in USA/Cnada. I will try to find some information about your area of interest nd let you know.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

anujkumar
December 5th, 2003, 11:10 AM
code:

Here (http://www.columbia.edu/~ua2105/files/Guide_to_Applying.pdf) is guide written by a friend for applying to US universities. It is mainly written with reference to studends without work experience.

Anuj

dadaharidasji
December 17th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Hello Sir,

I have dome my MCA(Masters in Computer Applications) from MdUniversity,Rohtak in2002 with 74.6%.
have 2 yrs of work exp in s/w industry.

I'm looking for higher studies.I want to go for MBA(IT/Systems) or a good MS program.

Kindly suggest me in this regard.

Thanks a lot!!

Vikas Dabas

birbal
December 17th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Vikas,

Under the present conditions the chances of financial aid upfront are minimal but admission is not difficult. In that case the matter boils down to what one can afford as there are low cost universities requiring as little as $14.000 per year to universities costing upward of $40,000 per year. You can email to my office (birbal.singh@lakeheadu.ca) to avoid such discussion in public.

Birbal Singh

ndahiya
March 4th, 2004, 08:46 AM
BUMPING topic to the top...

Nitin.

sandeepphogat
March 10th, 2004, 06:33 AM
hello sir
i am pharmacist from india and now i am doing my MBA in marketing from london.
i want immigration to canada so if i got admission in any insitution in canada and than apply for the immigration than can i get it?
can u plz tell me the scope of pharmacy in canada. is there any test to become equivalent?
plz let me know all details.
thankyou.

sushilsehrawat
March 10th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Visit the following link for information in your field of interest:

http://www.pharmacists.ca/content/about_cpha/about_pharmacy_in_can/how_to_become/index.cfm

malik
March 10th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Dear Dr Birbal

thanks for this information. Its a great assistance to the people, who are serious about their future.
I am writing about my son, who has BE (computar science ) from Maulana Azad collage of Technology Bhopal. It use to be a regional Engineering collage than became NIT national institute of Technology and now deemed to be university. He qualified last year with 59% and scored 72% in GRE and at present working in South Africa as a software enginner.
What are the prospect of higher education in USA or canada and can he get any schloarship or finannacial help.
Thanks Dr. malik KPS

birbal
March 10th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Dr. Malik,

Admission to a Masters' program is not too difficult but to get financial assistance up front one has to have fairly high marks. However, most motivated students I have known over 35 years in North America find some form of assistance or job on campus and summer jobs after one semester. Of course, it does involve some risk. Also, these days it is not worth limiting only to USA/Canada because in a field like computer science opportunities are now truly global.

If you need specific information email me at birbal.singh@lakeheadu.ca

Birbal Singh

artikundu
March 10th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Respected Sir,
I am highly thankful to you for your help and guidance.
Best regards,
Arti Kundu

naresh
March 24th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Dera Sir

encl is mu biodata
i want to do ms from good institute
can i get side by side job also as my parents cannot pay much

thanks and regards
naresh
#H.No: 77, First Floor, Ber Sarai, Hauz Khas
New Delhi 110016
Mobile:+91-9818409557
E-mail:nar_kiran@rediffmail.com
Objective:

To make a professional growth oriented carrier in the field of information technology with an organization where I can utilize my knowledge and professional experience in line with organizational objectives.

Work Experience: 1 Years & 3 months
Bharti Cellular Ltd. (AIRTEL)

Resident Engineer New Delhi, India
09/2002 - till date
A telecommunication company provides mobile services to all the clients and has offices in India, and Abroad. The company has 800 nodes, 100 Mbps switched (Cisco) and structured network, leased lines with ISDN backup, Windows 2000 Domain Infrastructure, Domino mail server, Microsoft ISA and Trend Micro AntiVirus.

Responsibilities
Design, Implementation & tuning in LAN, LAN Internetworking.

Installing the required software’s in LAN, configuring and fine tuning them.

Training Customers on Windows/office suits, Internet, Email & its applications.

Installation and Troubleshooting of all range of PCs of IBM, Compaq
Configuring CD-ROM, Printers, Scanners.
Installation & Troubleshooting Modems for Internet
Creation of instruction manuals to facilitate configuration & installation of standard software suit.
Coordination with vendors & other service providers
Documentation.
Can Configure ,Install & Troubleshoot OS Win 9x,Win2000,Xp. Also DHCP, File & Print server
Managing Windows 2000 Domain Active Diresctory,Group Policu,DHCP,and DNS,Terminal services

Certifications : CCNA in 2003(Sept)

Professional Qualification:

TECHANICAL SANT LONGOWAL INSTITUTE OF ENGG. AND TECHNOLOGY (S.L.I.E.T) established and funded by the Govt. of India and is under the direct control of Ministry of Human Resources and Development ACADMIC Qualification and Board Year School/Institute Aggregate
BE P.T.U, Punjab 1999- 2002 SLIET, Sangrur 70.8%
Diploma Board of Technical Examinations Karnataka 1995-1998 B.S.F institute of Technology Bangalore 71.3%
10+2 March 1995 B.S.F School Jammu 62%
Matric March 1993 B.S.F School Jammu 72%

Snap-Shot
Operating Systems : Windows 9X/Xp/2K Prof.
Windows 2000 servers,
Redhat Linux 7.x
Protocols & Concepts : TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, SMTP, DHCP,
DNS, and WINS
Email Client : Lotus Client ,MS Outlook 2000
Web & Proxy Services : Microsoft ISA, Linux Appache,
Security : Trend Antivires

Personal:
Nationality : Indian
Date of Birth : 18-12-1976
Marital Status : Unmarried
Driving License No : 1088/MVD/R-02

References: On Demand.

birbal
March 25th, 2004, 04:40 AM
Naresh,

From your cv I can see that you are a hard working, determined young man and have a good future. However, under the present economic climate it is not worth taking risk of coming to USA/Canada and hope of finding side job. Usually it works but if you do not have financial backing, the risk is too high.

I suggest you keep working hard and keep looking for opportunities. This website is a good source of networking. Get in touch with me towards the end of this year and if things improve I will suggest some places where there may be some chance for the Sept 2005 session.

I can fully understand your situation as I was in the same boat 40 years ago studying at IIT Bombay and having no money to even apply to some places. I did not give up and everything worked out in the long run and I am sure it will work out for you.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

ajaym
April 3rd, 2004, 03:42 PM
Hi Sir,

I too wish to upgrade my qualification, I have done B.Sc (Comp. Sc) , M.Sc (Comp. Sc) & Three years Master Diploma in S/W engg and if every thing goes fine, I shall be in Kansas next month on my company's project initially for one year.

Please guide me , can I pursue MS or MBA from Kansas on part time basis and what is the procedure for that.

Regards,

birbal
April 3rd, 2004, 03:55 PM
Ajay,

I assume you will be on H1 visa which can be renewed after one year. In such situation it is best to put most of your energy in improved job performance and apply for Canadian Immigration immediately. If your H1 visa is renewed then before its end you can get immigrant status in Canada and you have lot more flexibility. Of course, you may think of part time MBA but it will take away from your performance on job which is not desirable at this stage. Once you build a good track record on your job you can think of alternatives.

Birbal Singh

aman_sindhu
April 5th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Hello Sir,
This is Aman from HR. i passed my B.A.(Maths,Geography) from K.U.Kurukshetra with 55% in 1997. Right now my final yr. M.C.A.(U.P. Tech. Lucknow) going on ,which hopefully i m gonna to pass in this june with 65% marks. well i m gonna to give the GRE in this may. I WANNA TO KNOW I HAVE TO GO FOR M.S.(COMP.) OR FOR P.H.D. ? & for that how much i have to score in GRE resp.?

birbal
April 5th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Aman,

Direct admission to a Ph.D. program is highly unlikely in your case. So, you have to apply for MS for which admission is not such a big problem as interest in computer science is declining in USA because of too much news about outsourcing. I do not think GRE should pose any problem for you as all Indian students I have known have done very well in the quantitative part which is the important part for science and engineering.

Good luck and let me know any other info you want.If you can afford it is not a bad idea to come for MS in January 2005 semester ( most admissions in January session are without financial aid) and work hard to get some assistantship by Sept session.

Birbal Singh

aman_sindhu
April 9th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Hello Sir,

This is Aman. I completed my B.A(maths & geography) frm K.U.Kurukshetra in 1997 with 55% marks. Right now this is final yr M.C.A. going on from U.P.Tech.Lucknow.Which i m gonna to complete in cuming june, hopefully with 65% marks. I m gonna to give my GRE in cuming may. I wanna to know i should go for M.S.(comp) or i m elligible for PHD. also? Which is good for me?

aman_sindhu
April 9th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Hello Sir,

This is Aman. I completed my B.A(maths & geography) frm K.U.Kurukshetra in 1997 with 55% marks. Right now this is final yr M.C.A. going on from U.P.Tech.Lucknow.Which i m gonna to complete in cuming june, hopefully with 65% marks. I m gonna to give my GRE in cuming may. I wanna to know i should go for M.S.(comp) or i m elligible for PHD. also? Which is good for me?

arjun
April 20th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Dear sir,
iam sure you must be innundated by emails by now. here is another one.
iam an architect, working as a project manager in an interior desing and contracting firm in Bahrain. i have 12 years experience. now i feel i have to enhance my qualificaiton to do some specialized course in project management preferably in interior contracting or construction in general. i have surfed the net and found a PM certificate course from colorado state univ. for US$ 1650. my queries..
1) does this sound like a good idea ? is this certificate course of any value in Canada ?
2) is it worth the money ?
3) is there any course which you would recommend. which would be closer to my specialization.
thanks for your offer of guidance.
regards,
Arjun.

birbal
April 20th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Arjun,

I replied to your private email.

Birbal Singh

ndahiya
May 23rd, 2004, 10:46 PM
bump

ishwarchhikara22
May 24th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Dear Dr. Balbir singh
I am a graduate student in biochemistry at University of Maryland college Park.
I am planning to apply for jobs starting from this year end as well as for the business schools for fall 2005.My only problem for MBA will be that I won't be able to fund my education if I don't get funding from the school.
I was wondering if you could suggest me something.
Thank you
Ishwar

Email: chhikara@mail.umd.edu

birbal
May 24th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Ishwar,

Biochemistry is good field and with the aging population in the western world it is only going to get better. But, usually an M.S. in biochemistry is not enough and a Ph.D. is needed to have a decent career. However, Ph.D. is always funded and U of Maryland is a good school and if you are doing MS it is better to go for Ph.D., and if you are completing Ph.D. it is better to look for jobs. I do not see a great benefit of MBA (especially, since you have to pay for it) unless you ended up in biochemistry somehow and do not really like it.

The problem with MBA is that the variation in quality of MBA across North America is so great that the degree can be a ticket to success if you are a good student from a top school to not of much value if you are so so student from an ordinary school.

I hope it helps. Feel free to contact me as you need.

Birbal Singh

bab_shinoo
May 24th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Hey Aman,
I just thought of giving u my piece of advise, although the question was not directed to me. But just thought of sharing Dr. Birbal Singh's load of answering the question , a noble thought I hope ...I am a PhD student at Purdue University, Indiana in NanoTech. I have been here for almost two yrs now, n went through the same process. A good GRE score is a must. A good SOP ( statement of pourpose) is the second most imp. thing. The latest trend is that universities are more interested in taking students for PhD (than MS), as the no. of PhD pass outs effects their rankings. Then its also easier to get funding for PhD than for MS. You might want to contact ppl in the univerities (in which u r interested) n ask them to help u, as trends differ from univ. to univ. ...hope I was of some help.
Babita

sanjeevmalik
May 25th, 2004, 02:25 AM
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/693425.cms?headline=Revealed:~hottest~careers~of~t he~future

ajaym
June 3rd, 2004, 05:22 AM
Hi Sir,

I am working with GE - India, and now-a-days tranferred to GE ERC ( Overland Park , Kansas) for next 12 months.

I have done B.Sc (Computer Science) & M.Sc (computer Science) - 76 % from India . Also, have done three yrs Masters Diploma in Software Engg. from Aptech.

Now, I want to pursue some course in US which I can complete in 12 months and can enhance my qualification and can help me in my career .

Requires your valuable comments on it.

Regards,

Ajay

birbal
June 3rd, 2004, 04:22 PM
Ajay,

Some time ago you had sought my advice but had not mentioned the name of the company. Now, after knowing that you work for GE, I can say congratulations. It is certainly one of the best company to work in the world. My advice to you is to maintain superior work performance and GE will take care of you.

Academic qualifications are only one of the tools to get some doors to open for you, but it is not a substitute for proven track record at work. I suggest you make best efforts to utilize in house trainig/seminars offered by your company.

In an earlier reply I had suggested you apply for Canadian immigration. But, now that I know you work for GE I do not think there is need for that. I know a lot about GE because one of my best friends from IIT days worked for GE before he retired and because of him I have been a stockholder of GE for many years (and it has produced great returns in the long term even though the stock is down a lot from the peak in 2000).

So, my suggestion is to do your best at work, do any academic upgrading through GE and enjoy your stay in USA. However, someday if you really feel like changing your career, it is better to do MBA full time from a reputed school and with GE work experience behind you it may not be difficult.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

ajaym
June 4th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Thanks Sir for your suggestion.

Seek suggestion for my brother also.

My younger brother doing MCA final yr from India. I want him to pursue higher studies in US, can he get admission in MBA or MS (Computers). If possible in Overland Park, KS.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Ajay

birbal
June 4th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Ajay,

Overland Park is a suburb of Kansas City (a large city partly on Kansas side and partly on Missouri side). This general area called the Midwest has fairly low cost of living and if you want your brother to get higher education at a low cost and at the same time you have company of each other, then I would say it is a good idea for him to take admission to M.S. in Computer Science program at the University of Missouri - Kansas city (www.umkc.edu). Further, if you perform well and keep your boss happy, your brother may find a good summer job (almost all American/Canadian companies hire summer students, and it is the way most local students finance their education as parents generally do not pay for their children's education over here).

I think it is too late for the Sept. 2004 session now (but you can still try) but Jan. 2005 should not be a problem. Also, the weather in Kansas City is not too cold (at least from my viewpoint as the temperature drops to -40 C in the winter where I am).

Also, as I may have posted earlier, once you exclude the top tier schools like MIT, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, etc. the quality of education is fairly decent at the State university campuses and one should not worry that UMKC is not among the top tier. Also, job prospects in the midwest are good as the younger people want to move to larger cities on both coasts.

Feel free to contact me any time you need.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

sanjeevmalik
June 4th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Dear Ajay,

I am just adding to what Dr. Birbal Singh ji has said. There is a small town, Lawrence, near to Kansas City, which has University of Kansas (http://www.ku.edu/ (www.ku.edu)). Lawrence is about 35-40 miles from Kansas City and is more like as University town.

Thanks.

jtsagi
June 11th, 2004, 03:18 AM
Respected Dr. Birbal Singh,
It was nice to see your post for guiding students who want to pursue higher education in the US and Canada. I am sure the youth in our community will benefit seeking advice from an educated and successful person of your stature.

I just wanted to share my experience about higher education in USA. I have been in USA for a little over 3 years now and came here to do my MS in Computer Science though I wanted to go in for MBA. Since everyone in the Indian community wants their children to be either doctors or engineers, I also ended up getting my B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering. The educational credentials of a candidate do matter to some extent but graduating in second or third division doesnt mean a person is not intelligent. I myself graduated in second division. I personally think everyone is intelligent as it eventually comes down to how much hard work and focus you put into your career. " NO PAIN, NO GAIN". I graduated with a GPA of 3.76 in my MS. When I compare my Masters and Bachelors, I think what had changed in me was my outlook towards my life. Ofcourse the quality of education is much higher and you do get real hands on experience and I treated my education like a full time job. I always wanted to come to US to find out what's so great about this country and higher education was one of the means of turning my dream into reality. Growing up as a kid I used to see all my cousins and family members who would visit and was amazed to see how successful they all were. As they say "Seeing is Believing". Now since I have seen what US is all about, I can sum up the success of all my family members in just two words "HARD WORK". Not that people in India dont work hard. People in India work very hard too but then how many of them get to the enjoy the quality of life that people enjoy in US......US is a land of opportunities and you then get a chance to exercise those opportunities. People who come from India or from anywhere to US, its like a do or die situation. Either you perform or go home. I have always been a pressure guy. I perform well under pressure and that brings out the best in me. Now I work for the state in Pennsylvania and also teach part time at a University in the Department of Computer Science. As a kid teaching was the last profession I ever imagined seeing myself into and now here I am teaching....... Life is full of all sorts of twists and turns and the best way to over come these challenges is by taking on them and putting in all your "HARD WORK". Ofcourse you need mentors who guide you through the right paths in facing all those challenges. I just want to thank my fufaji Late Sh. R.S. Sangwan, my cousins Raghu and Shailey and my parents and family for always being there for me and guiding me through the right paths.

So, in conclusion, I reiterate that one should just put in their hard work in whatever field they want to pursue their career in and stay focused and never give up!

nakul
June 13th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Hello Dr. Birbal,

I am an Electrical Engg. graduated from University of Roorkee (Now IIT-R) with 71% marks. I had over 4 years of work-ex in MNC's like Motorola and currently working with ST MIcro-electronics, Noida.
I have plans for migrating to canada in future. Can you please let me know, what are the prospects of getting job there.
Since i had already made business trips to North America earlier. Will that help me in obtaining work-permits.

warm regards,
Nakul

birbal
June 13th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Nakul,

If you are interested in immigrating to Canada, you already meet the requirements and all you need is to apply for immigration status and wait for the processing of application ( more than two years these days with heavy backlog). As I have written on earlier posts there are several advantages when you come as an immigrant. The most important is the free Canadian health care. Others are access to low cost higher edcation (tuition fees for citizens/immigrants are lot lower), rights to get student loans and/or business start up loans, and preferential treatment for job openings.

Having visited USA/Canada gives one no advantage. You can find all the application details from www.gc.ca the govt of Canada website (details in earlier posts on this topic).

Another way is to come as student first, but these days the emphasis is on Ph.D. when it comes to financial aid for foreign students. It is very competitive and not a good idea if one is really not interested in Ph.D.

I know lot of Indians (mostly Jat Sikhs) who get around the long processing time by coming to Canada to get married to a Canadian citizen/immigrant. But that is too much of a complex topic to be discussed in a short reply here.

In your case I feel the immigration application seems to be the best option.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

ndahiya
August 29th, 2004, 06:52 PM
bump

neha_grewal
September 2nd, 2004, 07:42 AM

achalsingh
September 2nd, 2004, 11:38 AM
hi, I am Achal Singh from noida UP, Mechanical Engineer 1994 passout runing a small engineering work shop. Shortly, Purchasing a CNC VMC for dies, moulds and fixtures.Also , done many projects Of TOLL BOOTHS and PROTECTION BARRIERS in india.Looking forward for some development projects/Topics for study while in india. Can you provide design calculations for Space frame structures.

Regard's
ACHAL SINGH

birbal
September 2nd, 2004, 04:32 PM
Neha,

With your excellent academic background (Gold Medallist) and being a female interested in raising a family, I would suggest a Ph.D. followed by a Tenure Track faculty position to be the best option. Georgia Tech is one of the best universities in USA and since you are already living in the area, I think you will be able to get admission and full funding with a decent GRE score and personal meetings with the graduate coordinator and few professors. I am suggesting this route because I believe once you have a reasonable income, quality of life is more important than making some more money. The demand for Ph.D.s in finance is very good and is expected to remain strong for some time to come. Of course, you can do Ph.D. in Finance and join industry to make lot more money but I do not think that is worth it (though many may disagree with me).

Once you have decided to have children I believe you should make your future choices taking their life in consideration. It is ok to take little longer to complete your Ph.D. as long as you are doing your best to raise the kids right way. You have more flexibility in the academic side as compared to industrial side. Now one may say that there are many stressed up professors, but that is usually their own creation.

I suggest you meet few profs at Georgia Tech and other universities in commuting distance after preparing a good personal portfolio of your credentials. Also, you do not have to limit to Ph.D. in Finance as you may find some prof in other area who you like to work with. A good Ph.D. supervisor is very important and you have the advantage of living in the area, so do some research about the person before meeting him/her.

I hope it helps. Feel free to contact me anytime you need.

Neha & Prashant Sogarwal (Sep 01, 2004 10:12 p.m.):
Hello Balbir Singh ji,
I would like to ask what do u suggest for me to do MBA or PHD or MIS (Masters in Information science).
I did my PGDBM (IT & Finance) from India(Delhi) , finished it in August 2003, and was the Gold medalist.
I mmediately after which I got married & came to US, so I have absolutely no work experience in MBA finance field.
But after coming here, I cleared a few IBM certfication, got my H1 Visa, and worked for 6 months as a database administrator.
I am at home now until November , as we are awaiting our first child very soon.

The dilemma is there at not many openings coming up in my city for the technology i am skilled in, and mostly are for greencard holders or citizens.
Instead of wasting time, job hunting, I would like to start studying here.
I was wondering if I will be able to further my studies as a PHd student in Finance, as i have no experince in finance, just my knowledge.
Or should i go for MBA finance once again.

Many people suggest MIs cource, but my heart is actually in MBA , not in computers. the jobs are there though in computers.
My family has lots of professors and principals, i think thats why i am inclined towards Phd, the only thing is it will take another 4 years and the tution costs are also expensive.
I want to apply in georgia state university or georgia tech for furthering my studies,as these rae the only ones in Atlanta.
What do u suggest , will i be able to get admission in Phd or I have to repeat my MBA here or do MIS. Please help me decide
I am just 22 yeasr old, so i want to make the right decision, that i dont regret later on, and do something that i enjoy doing.

Regards
Neha

birbal
September 2nd, 2004, 04:41 PM
Achal,

Since you are in New Delhi area, I think it would be a good idea to talk to some prof. at IIT Delhi to get your work done. There are few IITD students on this site and they should be able to tell who is the best person to talk to. These days with all kind of Finite Element packages available in all universities, you should be able to find people in Delhi to do your design calculations. Let me know if you can't find any one.

achal singh (Sep 02, 2004 02:08 a.m.):
hi, I am Achal Singh from noida UP, Mechanical Engineer 1994 passout runing a small engineering work shop. Shortly, Purchasing a CNC VMC for dies, moulds and fixtures.Also , done many projects Of TOLL BOOTHS and PROTECTION BARRIERS in india.Looking forward for some development projects/Topics for study while in india. Can you provide design calculations for Space frame structures.

Regard's
ACHAL SINGH

neha_grewal
September 2nd, 2004, 11:22 PM

birbal
September 3rd, 2004, 12:51 AM
Neha,

You have the advantage of living in Atlanta. In a field like finance, the issue is not how many undergraduate courses you took in finance but how smart you are. Just last month one of our best friend's daughter finished her Ph.D. in Materials Engineering from Stanford and now she is working for Fred Alger (a well known firm on the Wall Street) without an MBA or Finance. I am sure you are a very smart girl (otherwise you would'nt be top of your class), so just go though the recent publications of professors you like at Georgia Tech. and Georgia State, and if you like some and think you can contribute meaningfully, just go to the prof and offer to volunteer for a couple of months. About 30 years ago my wife was in a similar situation with just a B.A. from Rajasthan. Today she is a Director in provincial govt. (third highest civil service position).

So, just do not stop after inquiries. Your goal should be to join Ph.D. program in Sept. 2005. To do that prepare well for GRE and get a good score and simultaneously do the search for a suitable prof as I suggest. Do not hesitate to talk to current Ph.D. students even though you are not a student. If you are not working then make effective use of your time to reach your goal. Always maintain high spirits as the results will follow if you maintain determined effort.

In another example, one of my friend who did his Ph.D. from Purdue many years ago got married midway through his Ph.D. and brought his young wife to Purdue. She followed the same strategy to complete her Ph.D. At present he is a Professor of Industrial Engineering and she is the Vice-President and Provost of the University of South Florida (Dr. and Mrs. Dr. Khator).

good luck.

Birbal Singh

achalsingh
September 4th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Dr. Birbal Singh (Sep 02, 2004 07:11 a.m.):
Achal,

Since you are in New Delhi area, I think it would be a good idea to talk to some prof. at IIT Delhi to get your work done. There are few IITD students on this site and they should be able to tell who is the best person to talk to. These days with all kind of Finite Element packages available in all universities, you should be able to find people in Delhi to do your design calculations. Let me know if you can't find any one.

Regard's
ACHAL SINGH

Sir,
Thanks for reply to my request. I being a production man for last 10 years , is keen to study some
a) Development projects / Topics
b) Advancement in production shop / Machine shop technology
c) We are fabricating Alumininum structures / Door / windows here by conventional method of cleats etc.
d) Some study material for CNC milling m/c & software for Moulds , Dies & Fixtures.
e) Design of space frame structure , drawing & fabrication details

I will appeciate if you can send some of the details above & educate us.

Regards
Achal Singh

achalsingh
September 4th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Achal,

Regard's
ACHAL SINGH

Sir,
Thanks for reply to my request. I being a production man for last 10 years , is keen to study some
c) We are fabricating Alumininum structures / Door / windows here by conventional method of cheats etc.
d) Some study material for CNC milling m/c & software for Moulds , Dies & Fixtures.

I will appreciate if you can send some of the details above & educate us.

Regards
Achal Singh

achalsingh
September 4th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Achal,

Regard's
ACHAL SINGH

Sir,
c) We are fabricating Alumininum structures / Door / windows here by conventional method of cheats etc.

I will appreciate if you can send some of the details above & educate us.

Regards
Achal Singh

birbal
September 4th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Achal,

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), probably the best known engineering school in the world has put a large number of courses on the web through their site http://ocw.mit.edu/

You should look at the site and may find lot of useful information.

sandeepdangi
September 12th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Birbal Ji,

Namestay,

I am doing course of C.A. & at present in
C.A.(Final).I want to know about the job
prospect for a C.A. in Canada.

Thanks.

birbal
September 12th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Sandeep,

The best qualified person on this site to provide guidance about C.A. in Canada in my opinion is Shri Ravi Chaudhary who also runs the Jat History group. He has been a C.A. in India, England and now in Canada running his own accounting firm. I also know he has helped many Jats and non-Jats in Toronto, so I suggest you contact him.

Good luck.

jatrix
September 16th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Dear sir,
i am naresh mehta 3rd yr, btech mech engg...basically it is dual degree (btech + mtech(intelligent manufacturing))... IIT madras... cgpa is 8/10...and have very good credentials in sports and management.... coordinating some events in the annual mega cultural festival..., also won some programming contests in annual techfest of iit madras!... (can send proper resume if it is needed!)
basically the problem is that i'm in dual degree , so basically if i pursue higher study , it'll be for ph.d (US hopefully)...n not MS...,or should i do MS again..as some ppl think it is better!
then sir, i would also like to know how to apply for summer projects in western univ.... now again some ppl say that we should rather do practical training of core issues in industries....rather than doing projects abroad... though i personally feel it is better to have exposure of the cool US univ.s
sir please do the needful. i shall be really thankful to you.
naresh mehta
"naresh_iit@hotmail.com"
"naresh.mehtaiit@gmail.com"

Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 20, 2003 08:44 a.m.):
Bhuvan,

For those who want to pursue an MBA it is valuable to obtain a couple of experience in a reputed company like Tatas. However, as you rightfully stated MBA in USA is fairly expensive.

For those who want to pursue Ph.D., it is better to complete it as soon as possible because whether you become an assistant professor or join industrial sector, it will be mainly based on your Ph.D. only. Also, if you are admitted to a Ph.D. program you will definitely be fully financed.

You are in a fortunate situation as you already have a position in a highly reputed company. So I would suggest that you accept your job but apply for Ph.D. in the best schools in the field such as Purdue, Georgia Tech., University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin, and University of California Berkeley. Because you have a good job offer, I am saying it is worth going for the top schools only.

I also suggest that you make an effort to publish your M.Tech. work as it will help greatly in getting funding.

Another option is work a couple of years in Tatas and try your best to get into IIM as the reputation of IIM is as good as that of any top US business chools. But I think you will get into Ph.D. anyway.

Good luck.
Birbal Singh

birbal
September 16th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Naresh,

You have several options but first you have to decide the direction you would like to pursue in the future.

If you like academic life or industrial research then Ph.D. is a good idea, and the fact that you are in a dual program gives you an edge over applicants with B.Tech. If you can publish a paper or two out of your M.Tech. research, it will increase your chances of getting funding substantially. Many American Universities provide a safegaurd for graduate students by giving them another M.S. in case they do not succeed in the Ph.D. candidacy/qualifying examination, but to join another M.S. program after M.Tech. is not a good idea.

If you want to do an MBA, I would suggest making an all out effort for IIM. If you succeed it will be great otherwise you look at other options.

You (and many students in India) seem to have a misconception about "cool" US universities. There is nothing cool about the life of a research assistant in North America. It is shear hard work in hope for a better future. If your family has lots of money you can come as a tourist any time but there is not much fun for a student working in some prof's lab.

However, I have seen profs and students coming from India for presentation of paper at conferences, and that is certainly enjoyable. From your department, I met Prof. Ramesh Babu and couple of his students in Houston in the last Waterjet Conference. So, I would suggest you work with some prof to publish a paper.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

jatrix
September 17th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Sir
It was really nice to gain invaluable advice from u. I fully understand that it 's all about hard work n PhD ....wat i meant by cool was , the encouraging and highly faciliated environment in the western univ.....though in iits too there is huge funding but we being in undergrad prog only.,,don't get the enthusiasm to work in projects......some people do go for it.
i am doing a project in product designing.... transient heat transfer cond in gears in function,thus calc the temp gradient and finally giving better design options for gears!!
but it is in preliminary state as for now.... under Prof Gnanmoorthy (mech deptt).... Prof ramesh babu is in energy technology,mech deptt.... never happened to interact wid him.
anyways afte this project is over,say by summer 2005, i'll have to take a project in Energy tech..... there is one Mr. A Ramesh too(again energy tech) has very recognised recommendation for phd....
The basic prob with iit (madras esp) is that these profs dont recommend u to western univ.....esp not for summer projects over there... they want mechies to rather go for practical training.... so I will be putting fight by myselves , one can mention projects he is doing... but the profs seldom do anyth more than verifying that u working with him!
once again ,thank you very much sir for having bothered to reply...
naresh

quote]Dr. Birbal Singh (Sep 16, 2004 07:11 a.m.):
Naresh,

You have several options but first you have to decide the direction you would like to pursue in the future.

If you like academic life or industrial research then Ph.D. is a good idea, and the fact that you are in a dual program gives you an edge over applicants with B.Tech. If you can publish a paper or two out of your M.Tech. research, it will increase your chances of getting funding substantially. Many American Universities provide a safegaurd for graduate students by giving them another M.S. in case they do not succeed in the Ph.D. candidacy/qualifying examination, but to join another M.S. program after M.Tech. is not a good idea.

If you want to do an MBA, I would suggest making an all out effort for IIM. If you succeed it will be great otherwise you look at other options.

You (and many students in India) seem to have a misconception about "cool" US universities. There is nothing cool about the life of a research assistant in North America. It is shear hard work in hope for a better future. If your family has lots of money you can come as a tourist any time but there is not much fun for a student working in some prof's lab.

However, I have seen profs and students coming from India for presentation of paper at conferences, and that is certainly enjoyable. From your department, I met Prof. Ramesh Babu and couple of his students in Houston in the last Waterjet Conference. So, I would suggest you work with some prof to publish a paper.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh[/quote]

sandycivil
November 28th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Respected Sir,
It is nice that you people care for the JAT Bhais even when sitting miles away. All the best for ur efforts
Sandeep
JAI JAT

bsmanderna
January 3rd, 2005, 08:49 PM
Dear Sir,
I am working with United Nations peace keeping mission in Kosovo. I need guidlines for my sister who has just completed her MBBS. She has been first class throughout and interested to pursue higher education from US/Canada.
what steps it take to get admission from this level and what are possibilities to get residency?
Is it good to try after completion of PG degree from India itself?
What is expected expediture in some of the decent universities?
over and above this pl suggest some sourse/sites wherefrom information can be solcited.
thanks,

balwan

birbal
January 4th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Balwant,

There are lot of people on this website who did their MBBS from India and came to USA for residency. The procedure is also clear cut and known to most medical students in India as talked to several students in my visit to India.

To get a residency in USA, one can write the USMLE (US Medical Licencing Exam) step I and II in India, and has come to USA for the step III. It is better to write USMLE I and II as soon as possible as there is no credit for the PG residency in India.

After 9-11-2001 the visa process for students coming for USMLE step III was tightened and some were denied the tourist visa to come to USA for step III. To circumvent this problem, many doctors took admissions to programs like Masters of Public Health.

Information about USMLE is available easily in India and there are coaching classes as well. I am sure those youn doctors who came recently for USMLE step III can shed more light on this.

I hope it helps.

bsmanderna
January 4th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Dear Sir,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I would like to know about the expected expediture envolved in all the three stages and some related links.
Is there any member on the site who has completed the part III of USMLE in recent past and doing residency, for further guidance?

best regards,
balwan

birbal
January 5th, 2005, 04:02 AM
Balwan,

You can find all the details of USMLE exams at http://www.usmle.org/ and about coaching programs and costs at http://www.kaplan.com

I found while in India that medical students in India know a lot about USMLE.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

dranujkumar
February 2nd, 2005, 12:01 PM
Dear sir
you are doing excellent job for our community, Efforts are needed to put the name of Prof. as well students who are in US and Canadian Universities, So that needy stidents can get some help. Well about me I am Veterinarian by Profession and Possibly getting admission in PhD in Canada because of the help of a jat student in canada. So much more can be done if we help each other in this regard

Birbal Singh
Lakehead University
Thunder Bay, Canada

arunitbhu
February 3rd, 2005, 07:41 PM
dear sir , i have complete my master degree by biotech and now want further study abroad , anyone can help me
looking for guidence
a jat student

birbal
February 3rd, 2005, 08:46 PM
dear sir , i have complete my master degree by biotech and now want further study abroad , anyone can help me
looking for guidence
a jat student

Arun,

email your detailed cv to me and I will provide some suggestions.

rajeshsolanki
February 7th, 2005, 01:35 PM
hello sir .. i have done engg. in c.s. this year 2004. with 73% form agra(govt).. i am looking for gre. how can u help me sir... sholud i come near to u or canada ... where should i go for higher education..... rajesh solanki... my id ,, rajesh_solanki1982@rediffmail.com

birbal
February 7th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Rajesh,

If you want a graduate degree from USA it is not very difficult to get admission somewhere. However, the question is of affordability as well as whether it is worth to get a degree from anywhere? Answer to such questions is not same for all and you are better off to correspond privately through my office email ( birbal.singh@lakeheadu.ca).

meetmanu
February 13th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Dear Dr. Singh,

I have just joined this portal and am really glad to see this thread here. I am currently pursuing my MBA from one of the top 20 universities in the U.S. and would be more than willing to help you field questions from Jat boys and girls interested in doing MBA from the U.S. As far as my background is concerned, I did my engineering from state college of Haryana and was involved in creation of three organizations back home. Just before coming to the U.S., I was launching the operations of a Kuwaiti company in India and Kuwait in the capacity of a General Manager.

I am headed to NYC after the completion of my MBA and shall be working with a top Investment Bank there.

Again, kudos for your time and excellent efforts!! I would be glad if I could be of some help.

Manu

hamendra
February 22nd, 2005, 09:55 AM
Namaste Birabl Jee,
I have done M.Sc.(Maths), M.Tech.(C.S.) and currently doing M.B.A(Final Year(Evening Course(Regular))) from Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi and i have around three years of Software Development experience working with UK MNC as Software Specialist. I want to do P.hd.(Management) then after I would like to go in teaching. I like teaching.
Please guide me to do my P.hd. from U.S. or Canada.

Thanks,
Hamendra

birbal
February 22nd, 2005, 05:25 PM
Hamendra,

If you have excellent academic background and think you can do very well on GMAT then it is worth trying for Ph.D.

hamendra
February 23rd, 2005, 02:59 PM
Hamendra,

If you have excellent academic background and think you can do very well on GMAT then it is worth trying for Ph.D.

Thanks at lot Sir.

*preeti*
February 27th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Respected sir

I have applied to few universities in U.s for M.S in C.S and hav egot reply fm 2 colleges:
1. UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS - DARTMOUTH
2. UNIVERSITY OF Missouri - Kansas city.
my gre score was 1260(790 Q, 470 V) andAWA 4.5
I have done my engineering fm mumbai university with 62%

PLZZZZZZZ help me decide one of the 2 colleges on th ebasis of academics, aid scene n job prospects

Thanks in advance

birbal
February 28th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Preeti,

I will prefer UMKC over UM Dartmouth because of location, cost of living, and job competition. Kansas City is a large city with reasonable cost of living. But dartmouth is a small town in Massachusetts and there are many many top notch educational institutions in and around Boston, Massachusetts making it an extremely competitive region though there are lots of jobs as well. However, you should look from your point of view because these two places are quite different. Boston area is truly dynamic and cosmopolitan while the midwest (Kansas city area) is somewhat laid back and provincial.

Birbal Singh

*preeti*
March 10th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Respected sir

I have admits from all the 5 universities to which I had applied so now the task becomes more harder. I request you to advice me in selection one of the five.

1. University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth
No news of aid yet, they are saying the aid decision is still pending. Tuition Fees - $12,976 for one year( 9 credits/sem)
2. University of Missouri - Kansas city.
No aid granted as of now.They have sent me the I-20
Tuition Fees - $13,087

3. New Jersey Institute of Technology
They have sent me the I-20 and have awarded me Provost Fellowship of $2000 per sem.
Tuition Fees - $15,122 - $4,000 = $11,122.

4. Illinois Institute of Technology(applied for computer engineering)

Received the I-20 today, no news about aid but they have some Co-op prog where u can study for one
year and then wk for one year as internship and then cm agn n complete ur studies.
Tuition Fees - $12,500

5. Illinois state university ( applied for masters in information science)
Tuition Fees- $10,000

Please help me decide one of those five colleges on the basis of
- Academics
- Aid situation
- Job prospects after graduation.

birbal
March 10th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Preeti,

My first choice from your list is Illinois Institute of Technology mainly because of the Co-Op program. If you work hard you will have a fair chance to get a professional job at decent pay for one year. If you perform well at the job it will give you a head start for the future. At the same time you should know that the Co-Op program exists, it does not guarantee you a job but gives you a fair chance. Once upon a time Illinois Institute of Technology was a premier institute in the USA but because of its location in the middle of the ghetto it has lost some its allure but it still is an excellent institution.

My second choice is NJIT because of its location near the New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia triangle. UMKC is my third choice and I would discard Illinois State. Consider UM Dartmouth only if you get funding.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Respected sir

I have admits from all the 5 universities to which I had applied so now the task becomes more harder. I request you to advice me in selection one of the five.

1. University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth
No news of aid yet, they are saying the aid decision is still pending. Tuition Fees - $12,976 for one year( 9 credits/sem)
2. University of Missouri - Kansas city.
No aid granted as of now.They have sent me the I-20
Tuition Fees - $13,087

3. New Jersey Institute of Technology
They have sent me the I-20 and have awarded me Provost Fellowship of $2000 per sem.
Tuition Fees - $15,122 - $4,000 = $11,122.

4. Illinois Institute of Technology(applied for computer engineering)

Received the I-20 today, no news about aid but they have some Co-op prog where u can study for one
year and then wk for one year as internship and then cm agn n complete ur studies.
Tuition Fees - $12,500

5. Illinois state university ( applied for masters in information science)
Tuition Fees- $10,000

Please help me decide one of those five colleges on the basis of
- Academics
- Aid situation
- Job prospects after graduation.

vineshkumar
March 24th, 2005, 09:02 AM
hello sir
namaste
i m a post graduate student in pharmaceutical sciences.
sir i want to continue my study by takin admission in P h D programme over there. sir plz guide me.
thanx
regards
vinesh

birbal
March 24th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Vinesh,

You are too late for Sept. 2005, so you are now looking at Sept. 2006. Send me your resume by email and I will give you suggestions. Just to remind you that my university's spam filter blocks emails from some addresses if it seems spam to it. If I get an email from a Jatland member, I always respond.

rose29
April 5th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Hello n thanx for that concern to all jats. wellabout me , I am Msc(comp science) along with MBA ( IT AND Marketing) from India,Rohtak(MDU)
HARAYANA. Basically i m looking out for phd in Comp. Science.Any possible support that could be extended from you would be acknowledged.

birbal
April 6th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Monica,

If you have a decent academic record and do well in
GRE, you have good chances for Ph.d., and if lucky
to get admission, all Ph.D.s in North America are fully
funded. You have slight advantage as many universities
are under pressure to have more women in scinces and
engineering.

You send me your resume including marks and rank in
class at each level. For a women, Ph.D. in Business may
offer better chances too.

vedarya
April 23rd, 2005, 10:10 PM
Hello Birbal Sir,
First of all let me thank you for the efforts you have been putting by providing
your valuable guidence and direction to all jatland youth community.
I have been working with TATA Consultancy Services for last about 8 years. Out of these 8 years, for last 5 years i am on deputation in canada to lead a s/w development project for a canadian steel company.
I have a great desire to go for a PhD in engineering. I did my MS(Computer Engineering) from Ukraine in 1996.
Now at the age of 35 with two kids, i am finding it too difficult to go for a full time PhD programme. Do i have an option for a Part time PhD program in Canada along with my project manager's job?
My work location is Mississauga (Greater Toronto Area), would prefer a part time PhD programm accesable from my location.

With regards
Ved.

birbal
April 24th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Ved,

Ph.D. is modern form of slavery where a slave hopes to get freedom after 3-5 years of hard work. Even then lot of people complete all the course work, pass the candidacy/qualifying exam and complete most of the thesis, and take up a job hoping to complete the Ph.D. in few months but never complete it. So, I suggest you abandon the idea of a part-time Ph.D.

I would suggest you something completely different. Since you are a smart fellow with steady income and some regular saving, I suggest you look at http://www.csi.ca/ and write the Canadian Securities course and the Financial Planning course exams. It is not that I am suggesting you to become a stock broker or a Certified Financial Analyst right now, but these will be good for you in the long run. I suggest these two for any upper middle class professional with a decent income and regular saving. If you do exceedingly well in these, who knows you may change career otherwise it will benefit you personally anyway.

Good luck.

sandeepbalyan
April 24th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Dear Sir,

This is an awesome advise.Sir Iam B.E Electronics working in IT since last six years with one of the largest bank in Bahrain,Do u think this course can be sutable for me also?.
Sir how much this course can be helpful for me to hunt a job in canada.

Thanks a ton
Many Regards,
Sandeep

birbal
April 25th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Sandeep,

When we look at the retirement scenario around the world, until now the government/employer sponsored pension has been the main vehicle for retirement income because most people in the previous generation had stable jobs. Things have changed dramatically in recent years. As people are forced to change careers as they go along in life, they need to plan for their retirement without those old civil service type pensions. In Canada we have to use Registered Retirement Saving Plans (RRSP), and in the USA they have 401K etc. I have seen very well educated people with good incomes including Doctors, Lawyers, and Professors worrying about their retirement because they do not have good understanding of personal finances.

So, if you do well in the type of courses I suggested, you have good chance of landing a job in the rapidly growing financial advice/planning field, or at least you will be able to manage your own finances without unnecessary stress. If you talk to some of the financial advisors, you realize they are not very smart. For the same reason I passed these exams several years ago not because I was interested in leaving a prof's position but it was very useful anyway. It is a growing field in North America and I am sure in India it will be a rapidly growing field as well. Also, such courses are good use of spare time in my opinion.

sandeepbalyan
April 25th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Sir You are very correct.I went through the website and was able to know in
and out .This seems to be a good exam.For me only thing is this if I go ahead I have to give exam in toronto itself, At present they don't have exam centers in Middle East or bahrain.I will be landing to canada sooner may be in a month or two and then will try to figure out.

Thanks for your great advise.

Many Regards
Sandeep Baliyan

manishsheoran
May 8th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Hi Sir,
I m mech engineer, BITS Pilani, with 4 yrs exp of Mkttg in automobile industry. I wish to persue MBA. Please guide me about stream & good institutes from where i should persue MBA to boost my carrier prospects.
Regards
Manish Sheoran

birbal
May 9th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Manish,

MBA from North America is fairly expensive. So, either you try for some good program in India, and there are many, or apply for immigration to both Canada and Australia, and you will get both in due time. Your will have a lot easier time as an immigrant. However, if you can afford and you have a very strong academc background, an MBA from some higly ranked US university is a worthwhile option. So, first write GMAT/CAT and I will be in a better position to suggest a program.

vikasrana77
May 13th, 2005, 03:41 PM

Birbal Singh
Lakehead University
Thunder Bay, Canada

Hello Birbal Sir,
I am vikas rana, a JAT boy. Right now i am doing my phd in netherland at technical university of delft, TUdelft. in India, i finish my education form IIT delhi. The research field of mine is related to processing and characterisation of Si based transistor. This is my last year of the reseach. I appreiciate the efforts of the educated people of our communinity who are directing the younger people in their career. Right now, i am looking for some opportunity either in education or industry.As having immense experience, you could supervise me to find some positions realted to this field. if you don't mind i can forward you my latest CV.
I am looking for some valuable suggestion.

Thanks

CHARAN SPERS
Vikas Rana

birbal
May 13th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Vikas,

Delft is a highly reputed university and the demand for qualified faculty is strong worldwide these days, so I see good future for you. It is good idea to start sending resumes to professors in your field. Your options are - a faculty position, postdoc, or industrial research. Send me a cv too.

Good luck.

mansi1218
May 25th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Respected Sir,

Iam an architecture student,studyin in IP University,Delhi.Plz guide me about d scope for architects abroad.And also I want to know which course should I opt for after completing B.Arch. as im inclined more towards creativity and do better in architectural design than other subjects.I have read about landscape architecture and few other upcoming fileds ,so I want to know about these courses in detail.Kindly guide.I shall be very thankful to u.

birbal
May 25th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Architecture is one of the highly regulated professions in North America. So, one has to get a Licence to practice and the requirements are quite tough. However, if you have a very strong academic background, you can get admission for graduate programs and go through the licencing process. Essentially, if one does not get the licence to practice, the degree alone is not of much use but, licenced architects do very well in general. I am sure we have some architects on this site and you should correspond with them.

Good luck.

rajeshrathee
May 26th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Sir
I am a sub inspector working in Delhi Police, aged 36. I have done B.Sc (H) Anthropology from DElhi University and a post graduate certificate course in Forensic Science from DU. Now i am intrested in further studies in Computer forensic as i have basic knowledge of computers, database & QA.

I am in process of reloocating to Canada on permanent immigration which can come any day. I wish to ask as how i should preapare myself there for best job prospects, which courses should i do there or in India. I will focuss on Police, Forensic or administrative jobs in Canada. My wife is a Teacher.

birbal
May 26th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Ratheeji,

I suggest that you take a leave of absence from your job in India when you come to Canada. Things have changed a lot over years and published studies show that new immigrants are not doing too well these days except bright fresh graduates who come for higher studies.

From your post it is clear that you are well settlled in life. However, you will end up on square one here in Canada. The main problem is that your wife may find a well paying job as a teacher in a smaller community where your job prospects are very poor. But in major cities like Toronto and Vancouver it is tough to find a teaching position. I have seen too many middle aged immigrants who were successful professionals in India but are struggling here working low level jobs. Of course, those who are willing to tough it out always succeed in the end but the initial experience can be quite painful. It is quite tough for a new immigrant to find a job in your area. Any additional courses in India are not of much relevance in areas like forensics as certification can not be obtained on that basis.

I have seen that those in position of authority in India have the most difficult time adjusting to new realities here.

bargoti10
June 3rd, 2005, 01:40 PM
My ward got 89% & secured 95% in science in X CBSE . He is interested in Biology & got admitted in Kota for Medical entrance coaching. Pl. advise in Bio. related field .
Regards
Sushil Kumar

birbal
June 3rd, 2005, 04:16 PM
I do not think it is a great idea to leave home in New Delhi for a High School student to go to Kota for pre-medical coaching. I was in Rajasthan for 3 months last year and saw first hand what goes on these coaching schools. Over 100,000 students come to Kota each year for coaching to get into IIT or medical programs and the success rate is less than 2%. A large number of students have serious health problems like jaundice because of the lack of sanitation facilities.

In my opinion a good student is better off at home especially in a place like New Delhi where there are ample opportunities for coaching if needed.

shailendra
June 3rd, 2005, 09:10 PM
Respected Sir,

Iam an architecture student,studyin in IP University,Delhi.Plz guide me about d scope for architects abroad.And also I want to know which course should I opt for after completing B.Arch. as im inclined more towards creativity and do better in architectural design than other subjects.I have read about landscape architecture and few other upcoming fileds ,so I want to know about these courses in detail.Kindly guide.I shall be very thankful to u.

Hi Mansi,

I apologize for the late reaction on this post as I only saw it today after long having given up hope of finding anyone within us going down this similar line as mine...(don't get me wrong guys, I had always come and read this post when it had just started, but had just faded away when most of it was about the IT industry!)

Ok, here is my two cents for you Mansi:
Architecture/Urban Design is a very-very cool job here in US...but of course no one will grab you with open arms if the only background you boast of is from having worked/practised in India!

I would suggest applying for a Master's here first, and getting a Amreeki university ka thappa... (which is not difficult to get into for us who did their BArch in India; as our portflio's are some of the best in the world)...if you can do that first and endure another 1 to one and a half years of more studies (I know 5 years is already enough for us!) then you are in...
You get pulled by Architectural/Urban Planning firms almost as soon you are finishing up!
Don't worry about the licensing part...if you want you can always give that test here... (which by the way requires at least three years of experience here first!) but then you only need that if you are planning to open your own office and shall be signing the plans yourself! If you are simply gonna be working for somebody in an office; they don't require you to have that to hire you (of course if you do have one, you can charge a fatter payscale! ;) )...also to do masterplans and be a planner you don't need a license- and there are so many wonderful new town planning projects going on all the time!

I did the same and came here to do my Master's in Urban Design (at Univ. of Miami) it was a superb nice and intense one year program and after that started working with a private firm on Urban planning projects right away...

Hope this helps and best of luck...

If you need more input please feel free to ask me...I feel happy that I can be finally be useful on this post!!! :)

shailendra
June 3rd, 2005, 09:22 PM
Architecture is one of the highly regulated professions in North America. So, one has to get a Licence to practice and the requirements are quite tough. However, if you have a very strong academic background, you can get admission for graduate programs and go through the licencing process. Essentially, if one does not get the licence to practice, the degree alone is not of much use but, licenced architects do very well in general. I am sure we have some architects on this site and you should correspond with them.

Good luck.

Birbalji/Mansi,

License in Architecture is only necessary if one plans to open their own office and practise independently right away! (a very good idea, except highly unlikely if you are new into this country!)

Getting a higher degree first (which are usually short one to one and a half year programs) like you already mentioned is the best way to go. It's easier to get accepted into the system that way (plus it is useful to learn the ways of Romans when you are in Rome!)...

Start looking for graduate schools (and the programs they offer) right away Mansi and then make sure you also have a good portfolio of all your work ready to be sent to all the Univ. that you are interested in. Believe me they will base their decision more than anything else on how your portfolio is!

Let me know if you need any more directions about the same!

ravinderkundu
June 11th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Res/sir

I am ravinder singh kundu.I am teacher in a school and i also run a education concultancy center in sonepat.My brother is also in usa. He is scientist(ra)in chicgo.I want to help for students.Pls guide me.

namsta.

gaganjat
June 14th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Ravinder saab,aap bachon ko kya padhate ho. Adhi spelings to apne galat kar rakhi hai! Jab consultancy ki hi spelling galat kar rakhi hai , to consultancy kya kaam karti hogi. Bhai in saab chijo ko sudharo.

Res/sir

I am ravinder singh kundu.I am teacher in a school and i also run a education concultancy center in sonepat.My brother is also in usa. He is scientist(ra)in chicgo.I want to help for students.Pls guide me.

namsta.

kapilmalik84
June 16th, 2005, 08:13 PM
hello dr. singh
i m kapil malik from muzaffarnagar (UP)now doing my BE in computer science from manipal institute of technology manipal karnataka.....
sir i have only 56% marks till my third year and i want to do MBA after that is it possible for me to get admission anywhere in us or can.
my real brother is working in TCS as software engg in indiana(US) from 2-3 years ..
he also want me to do MBA from us or can.....
sir i will make my % to 65% till my last semester.
it will not be a problem for me as previously i got less marks because of some health problems and i m perfect now.......
please guide me sir......
my email id is- kapilmalik84@rediffmail.com
my phone no is +919845426595

kapilmalik84
June 16th, 2005, 11:46 PM
hello dr. singh
i m kapil malik from muzaffarnagar (UP)now doing my BE in computer science from manipal institute of technology manipal karnataka.....
sir i have only 56% marks till my third year and i want to do MBA after that is it possible for me to get admission anywhere in us or can.
my real brother is working in TCS as software engg in indiana(US) from 2-3 years ..
he also want me to do MBA from us or can.....
sir i will make my % to 65% till my last semester.
it will not be a problem for me as previously i got less marks because of some health problems and i m perfect now.......
please guide me sir......
my email id is- kapilmalik84@rediffmail.com
my phone no is +919845426595

birbal
June 17th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Kapil,

There are so many MBA programs in USA that admission is not a problem. If one can afford, admission for higher education in USA is rather easy. So, if that is your desire and you have your brother already in Indiana, you can join some MBA program nearby. You are now looking at Sept. 2006 session.

kapilmalik84
June 18th, 2005, 12:49 AM
thank u sir for ur reply....
ya i want to join MBA there but is there any problem if i have marks less then 65% in my grad?
my brother is there for some limited period he will come back to delhi in 1 or 2 year it depends on his project there.....
can u give me a rough amount for my complete MBA there????
just an idea not the exact amount,,,
fee's
hostel's ETC.....
thanks again for ur reply......

jatputra
June 29th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Dear Sir,

My name is Aditya Rana and I am studying BA (Hons) Economics from Hindu Collge, University of Delhi and would complete graduation next year in July 2006. I have excellent academic record till now.

I want to do MSc Finance after it. Please guide me by giving me information about the college offering this course and the tuition fee and other financial assistance for the same.

Regards,

Aditya Rana

Birbal Singh
Lakehead University
Thunder Bay, Canada

birbal
June 29th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Aditya,

There are many universities offering Masters in Finance, but the three programs I know well are:

Vanderbilt University - 9 month intensive program for Masters in Finance,

Illinois Institute of Technology - 2 year program with good chance of a highly paid summer job in between,

University of Wisconsin, Madison - QMF, 2 years Masters in Finance for those with strong analytical skills.

jatputra
June 30th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I looked at the program of IIT, IL and University of Wisconsin. I would look forward to get infrmation about other universities offering MSc Finance.

Further, I have 2 queries;

1. All the universities want to know why a student want to pursue higher studies. Why is it so ? ( I mean what do they want to know actually from this question)

2. Can you bring out the difference between Quantitative Master in Finance a (as offered by University of Wisconsin) and other MSc Finance?

I look forward to your reply. (And all JAT who can help me)

Regards,

Aditya Rana

Aditya,

There are many universities offering Masters in Finance, but the three programs I know well are:

Vanderbilt University - 9 month intensive program for Masters in Finance,

Illinois Institute of Technology - 2 year program with good chance of a highly paid summer job in between,

University of Wisconsin, Madison - QMF, 2 years Masters in Finance for those with strong analytical skills.

anujkumar
July 1st, 2005, 09:42 AM
I would like to add:

MS in Finace (and it aliases) is offered at

Engineering Schools (MSFE and likes)
Business Schools ( many names)
Mathematics Departments (Masters in Quantitave Finance and likes)

I think the one offered by engineering schools are most reputed as technically it's an engineering field.

Among the engineering ones, I think the most reputed are

UCB IEOR
COLUMBIA IEOR
COUTANT NYU
CMU MATH FIN

CU was raked number 2 in the world recently, also the placement here is 100% (as I know) with people getting 60-70 K job. But I think there is no possibility of getting any financial aid at these programs, almost none at CU.

If you decide to apply, CU MSFE is higly recommended. I think they would be OK with the econ background.

jatputra
July 16th, 2005, 03:56 PM
I have been to many website in US universities and maximum of them needs a 4 years prior education after school. That is 4 years after you complete 12 standard.

So, I want to know that can I apply to MSc in Finance in US after completing BA (Hons) Economics because it is only a 3 year course ?

(To Shri Anuj Kumar-> Could you please send me the complete name of the programme and universities you have mentioned in your earlier reply to my query for programmes on MSc Finance)

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Aditya Rana

ajaytewatia
July 17th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Dear Sir
i am doing my my BBA from Western Michigan University, Michigan. i am majoring in Marketing. Sir i just became a member of Jatland. Sir i am highly influced with the way you have been helping students from overseas. you are doing a great work for our community. Sir like other students i ve been going thru the same problem about my master's program. i would highly Appreciate it if can help me sortingout some good universities.
thank you sir once again
Ajay Tewatia

anujkumar
July 18th, 2005, 08:10 AM
I have been to many website in US universities and maximum of them needs a 4 years prior education after school. That is 4 years after you complete 12 standard.

So, I want to know that can I apply to MSc in Finance in US after completing BA (Hons) Economics because it is only a 3 year course ?

(To Shri Anuj Kumar-> Could you please send me the complete name of the programme and universities you have mentioned in your earlier reply to my query for programmes on MSc Finance)

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Aditya Rana

The question of 3/4 year degree is a technical one. You drop an e-mail to the contact person of the departments.

The departments I mentioned were:

Industrial Engineering and Operations Research - Columbia University - New York City

2 programs -
http://www.math.columbia.edu/department/masters_finance.shtml
and
http://www.ieor.columbia.edu/grad_fe.html

Courant Institute - New York University - New York City

http://www.math.nyu.edu/financial_mathematics/

Carnegie Mellon University - Math Department + Business School

http://www.math.cmu.edu/grad/degree/ms.html
http://business.tepper.cmu.edu/

jatputra
August 10th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Thank you very much for such valuable information.

Regards,

Aditya Rana

Aditya
The question of 3/4 year degree is a technical one. You drop an e-mail to the contact person of the departments.

The departments I mentioned were:

Industrial Engineering and Operations Research - Columbia University - New York City

2 programs -
http://www.math.columbia.edu/department/masters_finance.shtml
and
http://www.ieor.columbia.edu/grad_fe.html

Courant Institute - New York University - New York City

http://www.math.nyu.edu/financial_mathematics/

Carnegie Mellon University - Math Department + Business School

http://www.math.cmu.edu/grad/degree/ms.html
http://business.tepper.cmu.edu/

rajeev_dahiya
September 11th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Respected Sir,

I really respect you for the way you are helping our community in its upliftment.
You are doing great effort sir.
Sir,i am a student of 7th sem BE in Elec & comm. from MD university Rohtak.
I think that my overall degree will be between 60-65% at the completion of my course.
With such a bad performance in my graduation can i expect a good career abroad?if yes then which field do you suggest i should further study in?
In one of your replies to some other member you've mentioned that it helps if you have relative in US. I have my mamaji there in CHASKA ,can you tell me how can he help me ?
Right now i m taking coaching for B-school entrance exams but for the next year i.e. 2006, that means i will have to drop a year.
waiting for your reply.

Rajeev Dahiya

birbal
September 11th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Rajeev,

One can not judge a student by marks alone. First, you have to be honest with yourself to correctly assess your future prospects. Did you get not so good marks because you did not make good effort or was it your best effort? I have known lot of people who graduated with second division but went on to have outstanding academic careers because they decided to put their act together. You should read one of the post on this thread by Jatin Singh to realize the impact of changing one's habits and priorities.

Coming back to your situation, if you honestly believe you can do better than you have done so far in school, and you can afford to attend graduate school in USA for one year, then it is possible to get your future on track. There are many graduate programs in USA and it is possible to find one where you can get admission with poor marks but a decent GRE score. Of course, you do not get any financial aid up front. Since you have an uncle here, you may be able to find a program where he lives and your expenses may be reduced considerably. He may also be able to provide financial help.

However, if you think this is your best effort and you can not do any better, I would say it is not a good idea to join a graduate program.

aakanksha
September 12th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Hello Dr Singh,

What are your thoughts on Actuarial Science?

Regards
Aakanksha

birbal
September 12th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Aakanksha,

Actuarial Science offers great potential at least in Canada and USA. University of Waterloo in Canada has one of the best programs in Acturial Science.

rajeev_dahiya
September 12th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Rajeev,

One can not judge a student by marks alone. First, you have to be honest with yourself to correctly assess your future prospects. Did you get not so good marks because you did not make good effort or was it your best effort? I have known lot of people who graduated with second division but went on to have outstanding academic careers because they decided to put their act together. You should read one of the post on this thread by Jatin Singh to realize the impact of changing one's habits and priorities.

Coming back to your situation, if you honestly believe you can do better than you have done so far in school, and you can afford to attend graduate school in USA for one year, then it is possible to get your future on track. There are many graduate programs in USA and it is possible to find one where you can get admission with poor marks but a decent GRE score. Of course, you do not get any financial aid up front. Since you have an uncle here, you may be able to find a program where he lives and your expenses may be reduced considerably. He may also be able to provide financial help.

However, if you think this is your best effort and you can not do any better, I would say it is not a good idea to join a graduate program.

Respected sir,
Thank you for such an early response.

My performance in graduation is certainly not a true measure of my abilities.my Low score is because of persistant family problemsBut now i've realized that to take care of my family well in future i'll have to concentrate on my studies.
in my first message to you I mentioned my marks just to ask you that whether my poor performance in grad will give me a great set back while getting admission in any post grad programme.
I've confidence in me that if given a chance i can do lot better in higher studies.The question is can i get admission in some decent PG programme?

If yes then what is the procedure and how should i go about it as i m in 7th sem of BE?

Rajeev

aakanksha
September 12th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Dr Singh,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Im already studying towards becoming an actuary at Univ of Cape Town. I still have some time before I graduate. Lately, though I have been doubting my field as there are many more people graduating (and eventually gaining fellowship) then there were before!

I am not really interested in studying in the US or Canada but would like to know what the situation is there regarding actuaries! and if I ever feel the need to get a job there how possible would it be? I am currently getting my exemptions through the Faculty and not the Institute (US). Hopefully by the time I graduate I should have the 100 series under my belt. If I do want to further my studies in the US or Canada for that matter what kind of scholarships can I recieve? Do you by any chance have website addresses that I can visit?

I am also planning to major in Statistics and Finance. I was also going to major in Mathematics (which I am still thinking about) and Economics (which I dont find is useful enough). How do you feel about the above mentioned majors?

What are your thoughts about the degree of Quantitative Finance?

Thanks
Akanksha

karams
September 12th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Hello! Friends..
I have been around for a while, and its good to see people helping each other, So I thought I too should share my mind with you all...

First, Actuarial Sciences, well if you possess Keen analytical, project management and problem solving skills, Have Specialized math knowledge in Calculus, statistics, probability, a Good business sense in Finance, accounting, economics, this is for you. Don't be afraid a right course can help you get all this... besides what’s more important are your soft skills, be it ant industry, this tools is very important for you success in career, I mean you need to cultivate Solid communication skills (oral & written)

Besides Strong computer skills.....word processing programs, spreadsheets, statistical analysis programs, database manipulation, programming languages can be picked up during the course period...

Good News ia that Wall street Journal has named Actuary are the best job option and one of the high grossing careers..... So all those who are into this or plan to do it ...have a gr8 future ahead....

Well... stop dreaming now as there are thounsand out there dreaming too... and will give to a stiff competition when you embark on the real corporate ladder...

Second, MBA. All top Universities abroad require a work exp. of atleast 2 yrs to enrol apart from a good GMAT score, 10+ 2+ 4 yrs of minimum education and need a lot of money.
In fact Scholarships are not easy ...but getting in is some what easy for Asian Women as they have reservation.... Men are not that fortunate you can say... Well I know of a co-worker with a good exp. getting into MIT solan for a score of 640, she got the reservation advantage...... Good Statement of purpose and solid recommendations will only make your chances bright...

Well friends, If you are wondering… , I am none of these …. A young s/w engineer with a Dip. In Mgmt...and hunger for knowledge ….I have some awareness about careers after 10+2, as counselling and career guidance is a passion for me…

As I always say "IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING" so keep trying…. I too am with you all.
I know I have missed out on lot of points in this mail, In case you need any further information on any specific, feel free to get in touch at karamveer.singh @tcs.com, It will be a pleasure to know and help you….

birbal
September 12th, 2005, 09:14 PM
what is the procedure and how should i go about it as i m in 7th sem of BE?

Rajeev[/QUOTE]

Rajeev,

There are many universities offering a Masters in Engineering and at this stage you should not be too worried about getting into a good program. Your objective must be to do well wherever you get in. I have written before on this thread that it is better to be near the top in an ordinary program rather than bottom in a great program.

Further, because of your marks so far I suggest you need to apply to at least 10 schools. You have to write GRE before the end of December and you should do reasonably well (it is not too difficult). Applications have to be completed by the end of January 2006 for most schools. You will need to provide proof of funds before getting your visa as you should not expect any financial aid. It is better to choose few schools near or where your uncle lives. Information about all engineering schools is available at http://www.asee.org/ or if you can not figure out for yourself, I can suggest few schools but let me know where your uncle lives.

birbal
September 12th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Dr Singh,

I am also planning to major in Statistics and Finance. I was also going to major in Mathematics (which I am still thinking about) and Economics (which I dont find is useful enough). How do you feel about the above mentioned majors?

What are your thoughts about the degree of Quantitative Finance?

Thanks
Akanksha

Aakanksha,

Masters in Quantitative finance also offers great career opportunities. What Karamveer has wriiten in the previous post is a fairly good summarization.

rajeev_dahiya
September 13th, 2005, 07:01 PM
what is the procedure and how should i go about it as i m in 7th sem of BE?

Rajeev

Rajeev,

There are many universities offering a Masters in Engineering and at this stage you should not be too worried about getting into a good program. Your objective must be to do well wherever you get in. I have written before on this thread that it is better to be near the top in an ordinary program rather than bottom in a great program.

Further, because of your marks so far I suggest you need to apply to at least 10 schools. You have to write GRE before the end of December and you should do reasonably well (it is not too difficult). Applications have to be completed by the end of January 2006 for most schools. You will need to provide proof of funds before getting your visa as you should not expect any financial aid. It is better to choose few schools near or where your uncle lives. Information about all engineering schools is available at http://www.asee.org/ or if you can not figure out for yourself, I can suggest few schools but let me know where your uncle lives.[/QUOTE]

Respected sir,

The way you are helping me has definately inspired me to serve my community with whatever abilty i possess or will possess in future.

Sir i will apreciate it if you could help me figure out few colleges near my uncle's house. He lives at
Hill top Drive
CHASKA
MINISOTA
MN-55318
USA

And can you tell me about the approx. cost which i may have to bear.

Rajeev

birbal
September 14th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Rajeev,

Your first step should be write GRE soon. Once you know your GRE score and undergraduate marks I will suggest several schools that may admit you in Masters program.

rajeev_dahiya
September 14th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Rajeev,

Your first step should be write GRE soon. Once you know your GRE score and undergraduate marks I will suggest several schools that may admit you in Masters program.

Respected sir.

thank you very much for the guidance so far.

Now i'll do as you've told me.

Thanks a lot

Rajeev

abhinain2003
September 25th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Respected Sir,

i am a student of B.TECH 3rd year IIT Roorkee,civil engeneering and i am thinking to start preparation for GRE but the problem is that i have not done any projects till now and my CGPA is 7.78 ,which is although above average but not as of toppers,so i want to know that if i would be able to get some good university or not?also what about scholarship and what should be my approach from now on,so please help me regarding this.

Abhishek Chaudhary

Birbal Singh
Lakehead University
Thunder Bay, Canada

birbal
September 25th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Abhishek,

The overall GPA does not tell the whole story. With 7.78 overall GPA, if you get consistently higher grades in courses in certain field of Civil Eng. (structures, transportation, water resources etc.), do very well in GRE, and have strong reccomendations, you may get funding in a decent university. So, right now try to do your best.

sdnain
September 28th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Dear Sir;

I’m working with C-Dot (Centre for development of Telematics), one of principle telecom company of government of India. I had joined organization about 6 months back. I’m finding this monetary as well intelligently not that fruitful. I want to explore the possibility of employment or research in the field of Telecommunication Engineering in USA and Canada. On education front, I had done my master in Electronics and communication from IIT Delhi.

I want to work in some reputed industry, research lab or pursue PhD in above mention field.
In fact, as you mention in one of reply that PhD is modern form of slavery, yes I too feel that way and some-how shy away from the name of PhD.

I shall be highly thankful if you can suggest me…

1. Please suggest some good Research lab or University in the field of telecommunication Engineering?

2. Is it possible to enroll in PhD at some university and then opt out to work in the industry?

3 Is it now possible to get admission in spring 2006, beginning in January?

Any help from your side will be highly appreciated

birbal
September 28th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Sandeep,

Unless some MNC hires you and transfers you to North America, you can not be employed as non-citizen, non-immigrant here. Admission to Ph.D. is a long process and one has to go through it. Write GRE now, apply by January 2006 or so to get into Sept 2006 session. With M.Tech. from IIT and if you have some publication based on your thesis you may get admission which comes with full funding usually.

Lot of students drop out of Ph.D. programs as the completion rate of Ph.D. is only about 40%. Every time a student does not complete Ph.D., it counts against the Professor so most Profs try to take on students they feel have completion potential. However, few years ago during the hot internet market, so many Indian (mostly IIT) bright students left Ph.D. programs at Stanford to start their own companies that Stanford reduced the intake from IITs considerably.

Your situation is not easy to resolve. The only thing I can suggest is to apply for immigration to Canada which you will surely get in due time. Then you have lot of flexibility to try various options. However, you might have read articles detailing tough situation of new immigrants in Canada recently as opposed to great successes about 30 years ago. I can explain it somewhat. Many years ago when the Indian economy was stagnant lot of very good people had no choice but to leave country and did very well in North America. But these days the Indian economic growth is more than double of North America and obviously those who can not compete in an economy that is growing at 6 to 9% annually, are going to have tough time in North America where the economy is growing at about 2-3% annually. But even now I feel there are plenty of opportunities for new immigrants in Canada for those who are competent and are willing to tough it out and compete in a reasonably fair job market.

Dear Sir;

I’m working with C-Dot (Centre for development of Telematics), one of principle telecom company of government of India. I had joined organization about 6 months back. I’m finding this monetary as well intelligently not that fruitful. I want to explore the possibility of employment or research in the field of Telecommunication Engineering in USA and Canada. On education front, I had done my master in Electronics and communication from IIT Delhi.

I want to work in some reputed industry, research lab or pursue PhD in above mention field.
In fact, as you mention in one of reply that PhD is modern form of slavery, yes I too feel that way and some-how shy away from the name of PhD.

I shall be highly thankful if you can suggest me…

1. Please suggest some good Research lab or University in the field of telecommunication Engineering?

2. Is it possible to enroll in PhD at some university and then opt out to work in the industry?

3 Is it now possible to get admission in spring 2006, beginning in January?

Any help from your side will be highly appreciated

dabas_s23
October 3rd, 2005, 04:17 AM
Dear Dr. Birbal,

I highly appreciate your efforts in guiding students from our community,
so that they can fulfill their higher education goals. Its really praise-worthy.

I am Sandeep Dabas, basically from Delhi, but right now pursuing my
MS at University of Minnesota,MN. I came here two months back, and so
I am still not settled fully yet, to this new culture. But one thing is for
sure, and that is the good quality of education here, its really worth
experiencing by our fellow Jat members.

I am also eager to help prospective students. I did my BE from Univ. of Delhi,
in Electronics & Communication, and right now carrying on with Electrical
Engg. So, if someone, is planning for higher studies in this/related fields,
I may be able to help/guide a bit. Though the education here demands
constant efforts from a student, and I have started to feel this pressure,
but still I would try my best to respond asap.

All the Best to all students,
ps : I have hardly seen/met any Jat student on campus, and so feels that
had there been some Jat presence here, it would have been great thing.
If so many other community's student can make it, why cann;t we.

gpilania
October 5th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Dear Sir ,
I hope that you remember me so I m not giving my details again.
(Let me remined u that i m from IIt Roorkee...we talked about GRE) . I am in third year and in this summer i want to do my internship
in any US university. Can you help me in this regard?

yours sincerely,
Ghanshyam Pilania

a.rana
October 6th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Hi Sir
How R U?
I Will Complete My B.tech-ce,in June2006 With A Frst Class.
But Before Thet I Had To Undergo A 6 Months Training In Some Software Company As Part Of My 8th Semester.only After That I Can Think Of Migrating To Canada.
If U Can Plzz Arrange For My Training There .then It Would Be Easy For Me Also To Continue Further.
Thank U
Tc

dahiya555
October 6th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Dear sir,
I've done my B.Tech in information technology with 70% marks and i'm also having one year of experience in software development.
Now i'm through my GRE and i scored 1260.
I'm planning to do my M.S. in network security from New York Institute of Technology. Kindly suggest me the details about this course from NYIT>
Regards,
Satyender Dahiya

birbal
October 12th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Satyender,

As long as you can afford it NYIT is perfectly ok. As I have written many times before, once you decide to join an institution do not worry about its rank etc. Just do your best and try to be among the top students and things will work out.

QUOTE=dahiya555]Dear sir,
I've done my B.Tech in information technology with 70% marks and i'm also having one year of experience in software development.
Now i'm through my GRE and i scored 1260.
I'm planning to do my M.S. in network security from New York Institute of Technology. Kindly suggest me the details about this course from NYIT>
Regards,
Satyender Dahiya[/QUOTE]

raj_rathee
October 13th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Just got reminded of an old email I had responded to. I figured
I might as well post it here in case someone might find it useful.

> Respected Sir;
>
> Hope Things are great at your end....I need certain
> advice. Can u
> suggest university or orgainsation In Canada (US)
> for PhD in
> Electroncs or related field which impart finacial
> assistance and
> most important is that it take without GRE Exam...I
> mean IIT tag
> will suffice....and more over procedure is ease as
> time is last
> thing ....any damm 3 Grade University you can
> suggeset As we want
> only PhD tag ....so looking for easy and nice way
> .....Can help
> from your side is highly appreciated
>
> Regards and Respect
> XYZ

Hi XYZ:

Last time I checked, and this was a few years ago,
Canadian Universities did not require GRE (certainly
not for Canadian residents), but unlike the
US ones they required you to have a master's degree
before you could apply to a PhD program. In US
you could directly apply for a PhD program.

Pretty much all PhD programs in the hard sciences
and engineering fields should provide
you with financial support...so that is unlikely to be
an issue once you get in.

Now, Canadian Universities are fairly homegenous
as compared to US ones. They are all federally funded
and there is usually not a huge difference in
quality of education. ALl provide a pretty
solid education.

There are some bigger name onces such as
University of Toronto, Univ. of British Columbia,
University of Waterloo that are somewhat better known
(maybe because they are larger and are located in
larger, more densely populated regions). But
smaller lesser well known ones are pretty good
too and perhaps easier to get into.
These can be found in the provinces of ALberta,
Saskatchewan and Manitoba (Univ. of Alberta,
Univ. of Regina, Univ of Saskatewan, Univ. of Manitoba
and so on).

However, no University will provide you a cakewalk
in any of these PhD programs. That is pretty much
sure.
I think if you are interested in a PhD you'd probably
want to be pretty sure you want to do it. These
programs take 4+ years after the masters and are
demanding and require a lot of effort and dedication.
I am not aware of a a no name PhD program that
gives away PhD degrees just like that. Certainly not
in Canada.

Following are some links I found off the web.
Look at the Macleans article for some rankings
info. You can use that to determine the lesser
known and smaller Universities.

http://www.uwaterloo.ca/canu/
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1278/canuniv.html
http://www.macleans.ca/universities/article.jsp?content=20041104_163511_5512

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Raj Rathee

Use this Link for the Macleans article on
Canadian Universities and its rankings.

http://www.macleans.ca/universities/

raj_rathee
October 13th, 2005, 09:50 AM
> But yaar I’m finding my government job this monetary
> as well intelligently not that fruitful. I want to
> explore the possibility of employment or research in
> the field of Telecommunication Engineering or Solid
> State Electronics in USA and Canada. I want to work
> in some reputed industry, research lab or pursue PhD
> in above mention field.
>
> I shall be highly thankful if you can suggest me…
>
> 1. Please suggest some good Research lab or
> University in the field of telecommunication
> Engineering?
>
> 2. Is it possible to enroll in PhD at some
> university and then opt out to work in the industry?
>
> 3 Is it now possible to get admission in spring
> 2006, beginning in January?
>
> 4 As I think situation is not easy to resolve. Can
> you suggest immigration to Canada or USA. Then I
> have lot of flexibility to try various options
>
> I had registered for my GRE examination.
>

Hi:

1) It is highly unlikely that you will get directly hired by some research lab
while you are in India...unless maybe you are some exceptional researcher/
scientist. Regarding Universities, please check my previous post and the
Macleans link. The websites of these Universities should provide all the
info about the departments and courses they offer.

Here is a link that has websites of various Universities. Navigate to their
Engineering/Comp. Science departments and you should get all the info
you need:

http://www.uwaterloo.ca/canu/

In terms of good Canadian Universities here are some of the well known ones
for engineering (but again, read my previous post):

o University of Waterloo ( I attended this one so can provide some
more info if you need. ) Try http://www.uwaterloo.ca/facultiesandcolleges/index.php

o University of Toronto

o University of British Columbia

o McGill, Western Ontario, Queens Universities

(but then again...Candian Universities in general are pretty good no matter
what).

For US ones I guess you can just search on your own. There are
so many here its hard to suggest ones. Many of the good ones might
be long shot unless you have excellent academic credentials.

2) It is probably possible to enroll in a PhD program and then opt for industry
as a way to cheat the system. And I am sure some folks do that. I just hope
you don't.

Personally I find it offensive that someone would cheat the system like that.
This is really cheating in multile ways: a) you are cheating the proffessor
who spends time and his/her grant money on you b) you are depriving
some other well deserving and dedicated student the opportunity to get a
PhD since you end up taking that space. c) you are eating of the tax
payers money (that included me when I was in Canada) and providing
no returns to society or the economy for the money spent on you.
....well I could go on but you got my take on this issue.

Some Universities do allow the student to opt out with a Masters degree
if they no longer pursue or are incapable of meeting the standards
demanded by the PhD...but that depends on University to University.
(BTW most (probably all) Canadian Universities require you to have a masters
before you can be admitted to PhD programs. This is different from US
ones.)

3) Admission of Jan 2006 is highly unlikely...usually you need to apply a
year in advance. But again, a lot of this is dependent on the University.
Send the department an email and see what they say. Of course, read
their web site before you communicate. Most of this kind of information
should be there on the web (FAQs etc).

4) Yeh Immigration is a good move. Very difficult to get US immigration
(unless you have mum/pop as American citizens, or American spouse,
or are already working here and company sponsors you for the green card).

Similer issues are true for Canada as well, except that Canada allows
Independent Immigration application where qualified applicants apply directly
for Immigration. See some other threads regarding this that prove some links
on the subject. But this will likely take time (1-3 years I guess but I am
not current on all this).

Hope this helps....

Raj Rathee

sumer77
November 2nd, 2005, 12:36 PM
Hello Every one.

I’m back after some impediment. Well I’m fine got some of unsolicited mails from some members.

Yes Birbal and Rathee Ji has rightly suggested regarding PhD and others avenue.

Let me add my views:-

Research labs in US are very competitive. Only PhDs from very good colleges get into research labs. Not to discourage you from applying there but in my view, your chances are very slim considering that I having graduated from IIT and doing masters from here and working here for 5 years will find it difficult to get a job in a research lab of repute. Some good research labs here are – Microsoft, NEC, IBM, and Cisco. There are many others. Among universities, see what your GRE score is and try to get into the best you can. Refer to usnews.com for rankings of various universities to get a clue.
Yes you can try this like, get into a job like TCS or Infosys and you will be in US within 4 months for a project (short term). My only problem with that kind of short-term job is that it won’t be technically very challenging as your core technology job like telecom.
Let me add for me, it doesn’t matter where I work, in US or in India. The only thing different in US is the quality of living is much better. I won’t age fast because of pollution and commute here in US. You wont like US if that is not a high priority thing in your life.
Hiring in US is very low these days so your best bet is to come through your MNC Company or outsourcers like Patni, Infosys, Wipro, and TCS.

Hope this helps. Meet me if you want to talk in detail about all this Mail me
sumersingh99@rediffmail.com

Dudi

choudharydeepti
November 4th, 2005, 11:40 AM
hello Sir,

My name is Deepti Choudhary, I did my BE in 2004, with aggr,76.6 % from Rajasthan University.., i always wanted to study abroad ..but due to some reasons i cud not....
Currently m working with Bharti in New Delhi...i wud like to know about some financial aids that i can get to study abroad...

I have my friend ( BE 2004 - 73% from Punjab Tech Univ- currently working with Bharti in New Delhi ) who also wants to go for GRE but is not sure abt the Universities...
She wants to know abt the University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA 301.405.1000
And the course is www.ents.umd.edu (http://www.ents.umd.edu)
She has gone thru the site but wants to know if the course n the univ are worth going for....

waiting for ur response....

Regards
Deepti Choudhary
choudhary_deepti@rediffmail.com

taransandhu
December 26th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Dear Sir,

I was looking out for guidance to get admission in Ph. D. computer science in canada and then while surfing, your message appeared to me nonetheless from an angel who is ready to help people.
Sir, I am giving my brief introduction and then if you say, I will mail my resume

1. I had done MCA (thru Distance Education ) from Maharshi Dayananda University, Rohtak scoring 69.7%.

2. I stood first in the Ph.D. Enterance exam ( Computer Scinece) conducted by Panjab university Chandigarh this year. Though I have an option to get myself register in this university. But I want to purse this degree from abroad.

I am working as a computer science lecturer in a reputed college in Chandigarh for the past five years.

Regards,

Tarandeep Kaur Sandhu
(28 yrs)
Chandigarh

birbal
December 28th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Anyone interested in contacting me for possible assistance/guidance should email me at Birbal.singh@lakeheadu.ca

I get lot of emails and answer them all but sometimes there may be a delay of a few days as the number of messages keeps on increasing. There is no point in posting personal details on this website.

I do not log on this site frequently as it seems to have been polluted by BJP/RSS types.

amitrangi
February 19th, 2006, 04:16 PM
SIR JAI RAM JI KI

Its really a great act of you, who is ready to offer his knowledge and putting is efforts for upliftment for JAT community. My profile is as follow:

B.com (Pass course), M.D. Univ. 59 %.
Diploma in tourism studies IGNOU, 58%
P.G. Diploma in Hotel Management ANNAMALAI UNIV.

2 YEARS OF WORK EXP IN 5 STAR HOTEL.
6 months in EVENT aand MARKETING.

NOW looking for MBA Hospitality. Can't go for GMAT, Toefl is on 28th Feb 06. Looking for a DECENT Degree which help me in CAREER GROWTH.3

Presently applying for LES-ROCHES, Switzerland
Cesar Ritz, Switzerland
Le Corden Bleu, Australia

Regards
Amit Rangi

birbal
February 20th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Amit,

I do not know anything about Hotel Management. However, we all know that in the coming years the growth of Indian economy will most likely be far greater than that of the developed world (these days India and China are beating them by 8-9% versus 2-4%). So, the prospectus for the hotel industry appear to be much better in India because of the greatly increasing business travel, travel for medical reasons, and increasing tourism. So, focusing on India seems to be better option to me. Howeer, as I said in the beginning, I do not know much in this field.

I suggest you contact someone with expertize in Hotel Management. I forgot but I think we have someone in this field as an active member on this site.

Good luck.

vinodks
February 21st, 2006, 08:56 AM
Deepti, ask yr friend to contact me... I am college park campus and can give her some info/contacts about ENTS course...
sangwan.vinod@gmail.com

-Vinod

hello Sir,

My name is Deepti Choudhary, I did my BE in 2004, with aggr,76.6 % from Rajasthan University.., i always wanted to study abroad ..but due to some reasons i cud not....
Currently m working with Bharti in New Delhi...i wud like to know about some financial aids that i can get to study abroad...

I have my friend ( BE 2004 - 73% from Punjab Tech Univ- currently working with Bharti in New Delhi ) who also wants to go for GRE but is not sure abt the Universities...
She wants to know abt the University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA 301.405.1000
And the course is www.ents.umd.edu (http://www.ents.umd.edu)
She has gone thru the site but wants to know if the course n the univ are worth going for....

waiting for ur response....

Regards
Deepti Choudhary
choudhary_deepti@rediffmail.com

VPannu
February 22nd, 2006, 05:43 AM
I havent seen a person doing such a voluntary work on internet.I would have been too pissed with so many emails to reply.Thats a great work sir,really.

amitjanghoo
February 24th, 2006, 06:35 PM
:) namaste sir,
myself amit janghoo from jaipur, i m new at this site & feel greate to find a wellwisher & guide here for your Indian family mambers.
sir i have done m.sc. in biotechnology from rajasthan university, jaipur & want to study & work as a trainee in the field of bioinformatics or biomedical science, please guide me for M.Tech. or Ph.d. in those fields at north america.
some time ago i came to know about one year course in bioinformatics at Nortingham university, U.K. but the charges was very high ( 7 lakh Rs. for one year).

waiting for your kind guidance.
THANK YOU.

Birbal Singh
Lakehead University
Thunder Bay, Canada

spankaj
March 8th, 2006, 06:06 PM
sir,
i am pankaj malik passed MCA in 2005 , with 76.03% from UP Technical Univ. Lucknow (Uttar prasesh) affiliated college BIT Muzaffarnagar,
i want study for MS in compures science
please give me information how can i come us for study,
with regards
pankaj malik

birbal
March 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM
sir,
i am pankaj malik passed MCA in 2005 , with 76.03% from UP Technical Univ. Lucknow (Uttar prasesh) affiliated college BIT Muzaffarnagar,
i want study for MS in compures science
please give me information how can i come us for study,
with regards
pankaj malik

Pankaj,

It is fairly late for applications for admission for Sept. 2006 semester. With a decent score in GRE you will be able to get admission somewhere for Sept. 2007, but at your own expense. I do not think it is a great idea to get into a low ranked program and spend lot of money to study in a field that has better future in India.

dhakasahib
March 10th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Sir ji Pranam,
ME Somesh Dhaka n i hav done Bsc I.T. in 2003, n after tht i hv done M.B.A from CH. DEVILAL UNIVERSITY, SIRSA. HARYANA(INDIA).
Just after completion of my degree i got job in ICICI BANK LTD. as a Sales Team manager. still im doing thia job, Sir one of mine freind is studing in canada he advised me 2 apply for canada, So i want to do M.I.T. from some of Reputed university in canada, So as per my profile please guide me if it is helpful me for getting P.R. there if it is not much What other requirements that i hv to fulfill 2get P.R. there, The M.I.T course duration is 4 two years, within this period will my previous M.B.A degree help me for immigrant. or except M.I.T wht course u advise me to do. which is helpful me in achieving my targets.

PLEASE HELP ME SIR I M VERY CONFUSED REGARDING THIS POBLEM

Iam very keen for this but require guidance.

thnx n regards
SOMESH DHAKA

dhakasahib
March 10th, 2006, 10:57 PM
hello DALAL Saab how ru boss,

howz life going on??

me SOMESH DHAKA im also frm Rohtak city, its our pleasure that our jat bhai are all well settled out of our country,
keep it up.
and help us also,,,,

we realy need ur advices.

thnx n regards.

abhimanyusindhu
March 18th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Birbal Singh
Lakehead University
Thunder Bay, Canada
hello sir i m abhimanyu sindhu presently studing in iit madras 2 nd yr mechanical engg......i slowly loosing interest in engg ...slowly deviating towards manegment job...wat i think engg is more of equation base rather evolving.......new technology....may be i m doing b tech so i dont know much in subject..............plz guide me sir.......as i m confused.......i applied in couple of us universities for project this sem....but didnt got reply frm them......i m doing some project in maruti....and iit madras itself..................plz do guide sir

atul.jhajhria
March 21st, 2006, 07:05 PM
hello sir i m abhimanyu sindhu presently studing in iit madras 2 nd yr mechanical engg......i slowly loosing interest in engg ...slowly deviating towards manegment job...wat i think engg is more of equation base rather evolving.......new technology....may be i m doing b tech so i dont know much in subject..............plz guide me sir.......as i m confused.......i applied in couple of us universities for project this sem....but didnt got reply frm them......i m doing some project in maruti....and iit madras itself..................plz do guide sir

Hi abhimanyu i have done my education from IIT Kharagpur! I am doing masters from univ of saskatchewan, canada. Before Mr. Birbal Singh gives you some input let me add mine experience.

In india education is more towards theoretical side then its application/Development. If you are really interested in something new in your field you have to do masters, preferably from some good US university. Here universities have much more facilities and reserch group is really good. You will get loads of chances to do innovative work. You will like it here.

I never hear anyone from mechanical(IIT KGP) getting summer project in US university. Is it common in IIT Madras?

alok123
March 22nd, 2006, 06:02 PM
i want to go for higher studies in canada

vinodks
March 25th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Actually its not difficult to do summer PT in US during undergrad... my batchmate(IITB) did PT in long island in 3rd year and got good reco... Abhimanyu, look out for options and keep in touch with seniors... that helps a lot...

-vinod

Hi abhimanyu i have done my education from IIT Kharagpur! I am doing masters from univ of saskatchewan, canada. Before Mr. Birbal Singh gives you some input let me add mine experience.

In india education is more towards theoretical side then its application/Development. If you are really interested in something new in your field you have to do masters, preferably from some good US university. Here universities have much more facilities and reserch group is really good. You will get loads of chances to do innovative work. You will like it here.

I never hear anyone from mechanical(IIT KGP) getting summer project in US university. Is it common in IIT Madras?

surajchauhan
March 25th, 2006, 10:07 AM
RESPECTED BIRBAL SIR

HEARTLY THANK YOU FOR PROVIDING VALUABLE GUIDANCE TO MILLIONS OF JATS WORLDWIDE.IN THIS MATERIALISTIC AGE VERY FEW PEOPLE ARE LIKE YOU WHO SPARE TIME TO GUIDE FELLOW GENERATIONS.
PLS KEEP IT UP.
WITH HIGH REGARDS
PROF. SURAJPAL
BARAUT-BAGHPAT
INDIA

Birbal Singh
Lakehead University
Thunder Bay, Canada

tomar10
April 4th, 2006, 12:21 PM
My regards to Prof Suraj Pal Ji and Prof Birbal Singh Ji. I am originally from Kandera near Baraut so it is good to see your post. And Prof Birbal Singh Ji I echo the sentiments of Prof Chauhan that you are providing an invaluable service to the community. You have been selflessly devoting so much of your time that I felt like paying my regards. Namaste!!

This is the second time I have chanced upon this site and came across your advice to someone about doing a course about financial management in Canada. I thought what you had to say was very interesting. I am working as a consultant with a top consulting firm but I feel my personal finances could be better managed. I am an engineer by training and am working as a SAP Consultant. If I may, I would like to seek your advice too. What course would you advise that I do, which would be a value add to me in my career and otherwise too. I have even thought about doing CFA part time (only in passing) but don't know how practical that would be.

I was fortunate to get funding earlier on at a state college in the US and did my MBA there. Though I enjoy Maths and enjoyed finance classes in the Program, I didn't really pay as much attention as I should have. I was carrying on the mentality of studying right before the exams.

On a different note if there are people in the US who are looking for a job in the SAP/Oracle/Siebel area please email me your resume and I will forward it to the right people.

abhimanyusindhu
April 25th, 2006, 04:39 PM
hi sangwan bhai..........ager bhar se mba karei to kitne tak ka loan lena peta hai......just rough idea........ms mei aid mil jaati hai iitns ko mager shayad mba mei nahin miltei.........vinod if u hav rough idea plz mssg

vishalbalhara
May 30th, 2006, 10:39 PM
sir im learning animations(3ds max software) from an institute in south delhi and i want to do some specialised course from canada or somewhere in U.S. bohut daya hogi aapki marg darshan karen
VISHAL BALHARA

ranbirsheoran
June 4th, 2006, 11:36 AM
respected sir
i have done B.E. in mechanical engineering currently. i want to do MBA. could you help me. i am from agriculture background. i could not afford such a high money investment. sir could you please help me out. i am from haryana, distt. bhiwani., village kashni kalan.

i have done two projects- lawn mower vehicle as minor project
- cnc air gun

ranbirsheoran
June 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM
mobile no.- +919813043366

ranbirsheoran@yahoo.com

birbal
June 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
mobile no.- +919813043366

ranbirsheoran@yahoo.com

Ranbir,

Send e your detailed cv at birbal.singh@lakeheadu.ca

abhimanyu09
June 13th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Hello sir,
After going through this thread all i can say is u are a boon to our community.
Im working as a software consultant with Tata Consultancy Services,Bangalore.
I work on a technology called Citrix and have around 2 years of work ex in IT.

Now im planning for higher education,cud be Australia,Cananda or USA.
There are a few things id like to know before i make my decision.
1.Can i apply for a work visa directly and move there to work?
2.If not what would be more feasable,an MBA or an MS in something technical?
3.If i do an MBA (which im most keen on)in marketing/finance would they consider my IT exp as relevant?
4.Im starting to prepare for my GMAT so by the time ill finish i will have 3yrs of work ex,is it sufficient or should i wait before i start sending applications.
5.Im looking at Australia also since education will be more affordable there.

Will be very grateful to you if you could take some time out and answer my queries.
Thank you

dolly2003
June 14th, 2006, 12:25 AM
dear sir.....i waz going thru ..ur msg regarding the higher studies in US and Cannada.well it would be great if u can help me out in getting some information regarding PHd programs there .I m right now working as a lecturer in india...i wanna pursue my Phd....so lemme know how can v apply for it...n wat is basic requirement.....i wanna pursue my PHD in environmental sciences....or it cuold be in environmental geography....plz lemme know.....thanking u....wid regards dolly

ajaychauhan
June 14th, 2006, 02:22 AM
As far as studying in US is concerned, DON'T try to come here until and unless you get a good funding from the university. Now the million dollar question, how to get funding ? Well, it depends upon:

1) Your eductaional background in India, if you are from IIT's or IIM's, your life is all set.

2) Your GRE score, if it's good and you are not from any reputed institute in India, it "might" help you in getting a funding.

Please don't come under the impression that some how you will manage to get funding in the second semester, if you don't get in the first. If that doesn't happen, you might find yourself in some sort of financial trouble.

My comments might sound discouraging, but that's the truth. But, if you are one of those who can survive in any condition, who believe in "never say die" attitude, you will have a good future, funding or no funding.

The best thing about this country is that your hard work never goes in vain. Some point in time, you will be successful and happy, but be prepared for the initial struggle.

Its all about destiny:D

`Ajay

ajaychauhan
June 14th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Abhi,

I know this question is for Birbal Sir, but I would like to make few suggestions( For USA ):

Ans: You can do that, if you can find a company to sponsor your H1B. But DON'T pay anyone for your H1B, there are realy good firms to sponsor it.

2. If not what would be more feasable,an MBA or an MS in something technical?
Ans: Abhi, first of all make your mind, whether to do MBA or MS. It all depends upon your liking, both are feasible. But MBA is costlier than MS.

3.If i do an MBA (which im most keen on)in marketing/finance would they consider my IT exp as relevant?
Ans: Yes, and most of the MBA institutes consider work ex as a criteria for selection.

4.Im starting to prepare for my GMAT so by the time ill finish i will have 3yrs of work ex,is it sufficient or should i wait before i start sending applications.
Ans: 3 years is a good time, so don't wait any further unless you want to because of some other reason.

Ans: No idea about Australia.

I hope this helps.

Ajay

Hello sir,

Will be very grateful to you if you could take some time out and answer my queries.
Thank you

birbal
June 14th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Abhimanyu,

Ajay has answered your questions. The one thing I can add that recently, the Canadian Govt. changed regulation allowing students to get work permit for off campus work. It has really changed the situation and now if someone is hard working and determined, higher education in Canada is advantageous.

Also, for MBA, it is important to get admission in the highest ranked program possible. One of my nephews came to Univ of Michigan (very high tuition fees) but it paid off big time as he got a great summer job and job after graduation with signing bonus. Some of the Canadian MBA programs are fairly high ranked in international rankings too.

Hello sir,

Thank you

birbal
June 14th, 2006, 05:08 AM
dear sir.....i waz going thru ..ur msg regarding the higher studies in US and Cannada.well it would be great if u can help me out in getting some information regarding PHd programs there .I m right now working as a lecturer in india...i wanna pursue my Phd....so lemme know how can v apply for it...n wat is basic requirement.....i wanna pursue my PHD in environmental sciences....or it cuold be in environmental geography....plz lemme know.....thanking u....wid regards dolly

Dolly,

The fact that you are working as a Lecturer in India can be helpful in improving your chances of a teaching assistantship while doing Ph.D. Send me your cv at my office email birbal.singh@lakeheadu.ca

abhimanyu09
June 15th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Ajay sir,
Thank you for taking the efforts to clarify all my doubts,
your answers have been very crisp n have helped me get a better vision of the scenario ahead.
I will take off with my GMAT preps and try n make it by next year.

The only other thing is that im not from the IITs and my acads have been average through my Engineering and i only got into the momentum after i started working.
But like u said Work Ex is a big criteria for selection,im hoping i can make it up with this as i have names like IBM n TCS to boast of in my resume.

Im sure i can manage an eduation loan for as much as 15lakhs,plus if i get some aid it will be a bonus..but nething beyond that would be unaffordable to be honest.
I am firm on an MBA,just want to be sure it'll pay off and give me a standing keeping my past work ex in consideration.

Thanks again for you help.

abhimanyu09
June 15th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Birbal sir,
Thank you for your time and effort.I truly appreciate your guidance.
Since you mentioned about an MBA in Canada,i have a new set of queries

1.I have been told there are 2 kinds of MBA's one from the univ. and the other from the college.The college MBA is a 1 yr programme and the univ a 2 yrs programme.I dont know what the difference is n which is better.

2.One of my friends has done a 1 yr MBA from Sheridan college in Toronto,and he has picked up a good job there and doing well for himself,so he has been encouraging me also to take up a course in a college.

3.Is an MBA from Canada any cheaper than it is from US and do both require the same GMAT scores?

4.I was also told that u get a job based on your MBA and u have to start from scratch as a trainee not taking into consideration ur past work ex.dont think thats true but i woould still like a confirmation from you.

Thank you once again sir.

birbal
June 15th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Birbal sir,
Thank you for your time and effort.I truly appreciate your guidance.
Since you mentioned about an MBA in Canada,i have a new set of queries

1.I have been told there are 2 kinds of MBA's one from the univ. and the other from the college.The college MBA is a 1 yr programme and the univ a 2 yrs programme.I dont know what the difference is n which is better.

2.One of my friends has done a 1 yr MBA from Sheridan college in Toronto,and he has picked up a good job there and doing well for himself,so he has been encouraging me also to take up a course in a college.

3.Is an MBA from Canada any cheaper than it is from US and do both require the same GMAT scores?

4.I was also told that u get a job based on your MBA and u have to start from scratch as a trainee not taking into consideration ur past work ex.dont think thats true but i woould still like a confirmation from you.

Thank you once again sir.

Abhimanyu,

Stay away from the so called MBAs offered through Community Colleges. So, try only reputed university MBAs. If you go through the Financial Times (UK) ranking of MBA programs throughout world, several Canadian Schools like York, Queens, Western Ontario, Calgary, and Alberta appear in the list. Write GMAT after a thorough preparation, and make sure you have solid references who can write detailed recommendation letters.

The average salaries after graduation from MBA in Canada are comparable with USA from similar schools (I mean leave the top few like Wharton, Harvard, Stanford etc. out and the good Canadian schools are as good as the rest of US schools).

The cost in Canada is somewhat lower, but it used to be lot cheaper till recently. It may become similar in another 5-10 years.

Whether the past experience counts, depends on individual circumstances and what kind of reputation you establish while in the program. I am sure you know the range of salaries in programs like MBA can be wide as few top people get huge sign up bonuses and salaries and some at the bottom get pittance.

skhatri4321
June 15th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Hi Birbal,

I am a software developer working in Alcatel and have around 2 yr. of experience in software develpoment.
I am very much interested in higher education in USA or Europe.
I am planning for M.S. or M.Tech.
Can you please suggest me how to proceed in that way?

Thanks
Sumit

birbal
June 15th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Sumit,

send me your cv.

ajaychauhan
June 15th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Abhi,

1) IIT or no IIT, if you have a good GMAT score and a good work ex, you stand a good chance of getting through. Obvisiouly, being from IIT helps but that's not the sole criteria.

2) Loan of 15 lakhs, looks like my story!! Abhi, always remember, there would be lot of things at stake and till the time you repay the loan, you won't find peace. ( My words might sound harsh but I want to tell you the truth)

3) Lot of people go for MBA or MS just to get an entry to a foreign country. There is nothing wrong with this, but why to spend so much of money on MBA if there are so many firms who can sponsor your H1B ( thus you get a taste of a foreign country). I think you are looking for good education but you can get that in India too, so again why to spend 15 lakhs ?

4) Lets say you get admission to a good MBA school outside India, you get some sort of aid, you finish your MBA and get a job too. Now, you will like to stay in that country untill you repay your loan of 15 lakhs and it might take you couple of years. So, whats the problem ? the problem is, after staying in that foreign country for few years, it would be difficult for you to go back to India and work in some sort of hostile enviornment. There is a hugeeeeeeeee difference between the work env we have here and what we have in India. Then your heart will say "go to India" to be with your family but mind will say "stick to this country" and its very hard to decide ( I haven't been able to decide since the last 5 years).

Some day ( after your MBA ), you will be earning very good money but at that time you might have to take a decision between staying abroad or to go back to India.

I am in no mood to discourage you but if you are taking such a big step in your life, it's my duty to tell you about all the pros and cons. I have been through the same situation.

One last thing, hard work always pay and specially in this country and you will earn good money ( I mean really good!! ) but be prepared for the initial hardships ( if they come ).

Good luck and always remember, destiny rules.

Ajay

Ajay sir,
Thank you for taking the efforts to clarify all my doubts,
your answers have been very crisp n have helped me get a better vision of the scenario ahead.
I will take off with my GMAT preps and try n make it by next year.

The only other thing is that im not from the IITs and my acads have been average through my Engineering and i only got into the momentum after i started working.
But like u said Work Ex is a big criteria for selection,im hoping i can make it up with this as i have names like IBM n TCS to boast of in my resume.

Im sure i can manage an eduation loan for as much as 15lakhs,plus if i get some aid it will be a bonus..but nething beyond that would be unaffordable to be honest.
I am firm on an MBA,just want to be sure it'll pay off and give me a standing keeping my past work ex in consideration.

Thanks again for you help.

dolly2003
June 15th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Dear sir,

I really thank you for going through my query regarding higher studies.

I m very soon going to send u my detail Cv.

thanking you
wid regards
dolly

vikaskundu
June 16th, 2006, 03:31 AM
ajay chauhan ji ye dileema to hamesha hi bani rahti hai....those who live abroad want to cum to india

those who live in india want to go abroad coz of hell wrk env here nd also politics baji nd castesim nd all

so it is a catch 22 situation here

atleast u r being paid for what u do not for what u belong to

par dil to manega nahi itni aram se

anishamalhan
June 17th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Sir
I want to go for MBA toCanada.give me information about scholarships.i am an engineering graduate in ECE.

abhimanyu09
June 20th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Birbal sir,
Thanks a ton for your words of wisdom.Makes most of the things very clear for me so i know what i have to do n whats in store thereafter.
It has been an honour interacting with you and i would like to take the liberty to bother you again also if n when im doubtful about anything in this regard.
I think thts the reason why an advice from someone with so much experience is more valuable.

Abhi

abhimanyu09
June 20th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Ajay sir,
I cant help but express my gratitude to you for being so honestly helpful in your guidance.Not a single word u say sounds discouraging,infact it just makes me and a lot others make an informed decision about our MBA.

I now clearly understand that its not about choosing an MBA but about choosing a lifestyle,an environment and deciding what/who we want around us besides all the money that comes with any good MBA.
Its a priceless piece of advice that comes from ur personal experience and i think i have a lot of thinking to do before i take my stand about an MBA abroad so once i do i would'nt ever look back.
Thank you sir,

abhi

kabeer
June 30th, 2006, 05:15 PM
hallo birbal sir how are you. iam a new member of this site. i wanna know how much beneficial is mba from canada. which are the main universities? and what is the procedure of admission? how much score of ielts is required? presently i am in final year of my graduation.

cheelu
July 19th, 2006, 03:50 AM
hello Birbal ji

Im new member on this site. u r really doing a very great job.
Im a new immigrant in Canada (Ontario). I did B.Comm from Punjab University. Could you please tell me the accounting opportunities or some courses which I can persue here??
Thank You in advance

Monika

birbal
July 19th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Monika,

As an immigrant, you have the same rights and opportunities as Canadian born citizens. So, first try to establish a network of friends in your new place. There are enough Jats and many other nice Indian/Pakistanis in ebery city. Where you are now?

For accounting designation, you have to write some exams. Mr. Ravi Chaudhary, who is very active on Jatland is a very succesful accountant and helpful to all. If you are in Toronto, he is the best person to contact.

Send me more details at my email at birbal.singh@lakeheadu.ca

hello Birbal ji

Im new member on this site. u r really doing a very great job.
Im a new immigrant in Canada (Ontario). I did B.Comm from Punjab University. Could you please tell me the accounting opportunities or some courses which I can persue here??
Thank You in advance

Monika

dev
July 25th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Respected Birbal Sir,
I have been to canada as an immigrant in 2004 and stayed there for 1&1/2 years with my kids and wife but had to come back in feb this year as i want my kids to get their basic education from india (i have admitted them to the DPS) As per my educational back ground I am law graduate from india ,but when in canada i had to do the ordinary jobs as i donot have the essential division for the accrediation from the law society.
Sir i would appreciate if you can suggest me any other related course or any other field (i m ready to change the track) where i can gain some educ. and start afresh or anythinf else that you can suggest. at the moment I ma in india and want to come back at the earliest.
i would be obliged for youe advise.
dev kadian

birbal
July 25th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Kadianji,

It is not easy for new immigrants to get good jobs immediately (not easy for Canadian born citizens either), but if one persists, sooner or later a decent career will come along. I have not dealt with a Indian Lawyer recently, but almost 20 years ago I had dealt with one in Alberta. I had his transcripts evaluated by a Law professor (who was my friend), and then he gave some suggestions as how to procede with the Alberta Law Society. Essentially, the fellow was asked to pass 3 courses and the Bar Exam (that has to be passed by all Canadian lawyers as well).

So, you can not expect outright accreditation but I do not think an Indian Lawyer has to go through Law School in Canada again. Because both Indian and Canadian legal systems are British based, one may need few courses only. Even Law graduates of Oxford and Cambridge have to take few courses to be allowed to practice in Canada.

On the other hand, one needs initiative to succeed in a new land. One of the most successful Jat in Toronto, is Mr. Kam Rathee, who is a lawyer from India but he has made a name for himself as an Insurance Fraud investigator in Canada and USA for cases dealing mainly with insurance fraud by Indians in North America (Indians, especially Hindus are good at it), and I have read articles about his successes in tracking down fraud, and he has been compared to one of the characters in Agatha Christie novels.

I also think the Canadian School system is far better than USA or India and it is basically free.

I can not think of other courses since Law degree is a fairly good qualification by itself and there are other jobs for law degree holders.

vikramd
July 30th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Hi ajay and Dr.Birbal,
I was reading your replies to Abhimanyu's posts, and thought I'll ask some questions myself. I am an engineer and I'm completing 1 year in a software company this august. I am really keen on doing MBA from the US. Also, I want to apply only to the top 20 colleges. I have a couple of queries:
1. Round 1 application deadlines for most colleges are in October. Is it advisable to rush the application (and advance my GMAT date) so that it reaches them in time for Round 1, OR is it advisable to take more time and apply in Round 2? In the first case, I have better chances of admission, while in the second, i get more time to prepare..

2. I am aware that I should try to get recommendations from those people who are recognised in the colleges i am applying to. The problem is that none of my bosses is that sort of a guy. My HOD and teachers in college have some visibility in engineering colleges, but none in a business school. What do i do for the recommendations??

Thanks,
Vikram

bhuwan
August 5th, 2006, 10:00 PM
hello sir
i m bhuwan ,i hav doen my graduation with Bacholar of computer application(B.C.A) with 65% marks,now i want to do study in usa,could u tell me plz
what should i do...
i want to do MCA, but i don,t know where to start ,where to consult abt unversityes that which unversity is best for me
plz guide me sir,what shoul i do....
:)

rakeshmalik
August 6th, 2006, 05:33 PM
would anybody ve information about harverd law school....
or knowing anybody who is studing thr,,, plz share d info...

birbal
August 7th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Hi ajay and Dr.Birbal,
I was reading your replies to Abhimanyu's posts, and thought I'll ask some questions myself. I am an engineer and I'm completing 1 year in a software company this august. I am really keen on doing MBA from the US. Also, I want to apply only to the top 20 colleges. I have a couple of queries:
1. Round 1 application deadlines for most colleges are in October. Is it advisable to rush the application (and advance my GMAT date) so that it reaches them in time for Round 1, OR is it advisable to take more time and apply in Round 2? In the first case, I have better chances of admission, while in the second, i get more time to prepare..

2. I am aware that I should try to get recommendations from those people who are recognised in the colleges i am applying to. The problem is that none of my bosses is that sort of a guy. My HOD and teachers in college have some visibility in engineering colleges, but none in a business school. What do i do for the recommendations??

Thanks,
Vikram

Vikram,

If you want to get into any of the top 20 MBA programs, you need to do extremely well in GMAT and have very solid references from both your manager and professors. It is not necessary for your referees to be well known but they should be able to write the recommendation letters very well. It is not enough to write very nice things about you but the letters should clearly show why you are a candidate suitable for such places of higher education. In addition, your own personal statement has to be as good as well. When you apply is not the major issue as long as you meet application deadlines.

birbal
August 7th, 2006, 05:49 PM
hello sir
i m bhuwan ,i hav doen my graduation with Bacholar of computer application(B.C.A) with 65% marks,now i want to do study in usa,could u tell me plz
what should i do...
i want to do MCA, but i don,t know where to start ,where to consult abt unversityes that which unversity is best for me
plz guide me sir,what shoul i do....
:)

Bhuwan,

Your inquiry is too general to be answered easily. But, just to repeat something that has been discussed enough times on this thread, it is not difficult to get admission to a graduate program but the main issue is that it may not be worth for everyone. If one is determined to get a higher degree from USA, it can always be managed. You can get most of the info from the U.S. News and World Report's annual rating of Graduate programs.

kabeer
August 7th, 2006, 06:54 PM
respected birbal sir.
i am a final year student of ba. from panjab university chandigarh. i want to do my mba from canada(vancouver) from next session. can u suggest me the good colleges or universities
i shall be highly thankful to you

birbal
August 7th, 2006, 08:44 PM
respected birbal sir.
i am a final year student of ba. from panjab university chandigarh. i want to do my mba from canada(vancouver) from next session. can u suggest me the good colleges or universities
i shall be highly thankful to you

Vikrant,

There are only two universities in Vancouver - The University of British Columbia, and Simon Fraser University. Both are highly rated and admission to MBA is very competitive. These days Community Colleges offer MBA programs through collaboration, but I do not think those degrees are worth much unless one just wants a Canadian degree.

dineshgrewal
August 10th, 2006, 07:03 PM
hello birbal sir,

my name is dinesh and i wonder if you could hel me out.....i am a graduate from oxford brookes university in hotel and restaurant mgt....i have completed an internship of 1 year in london and two year of studies were undertaken in india for the same

now i aplied for us student visa but they rejected my application.......what i am planning to do is that there is an institute in india...precisly in gurgaon near delhi it called ansals institute for higher education........what they do is that a student needs to complete 1st year of education in india and then second year the credits are transfered to an american university......and one has to complete the second year in america.......

now my question is that if i get admission in this uninversity then would that help me in getting the us visa at all....or would that make my case a little stronger?????

please help

birbal
August 10th, 2006, 07:41 PM
hello birbal sir,

my name is dinesh and i wonder if you could hel me out.....i am a graduate from oxford brookes university in hotel and restaurant mgt....i have completed an internship of 1 year in london and two year of studies were undertaken in india for the same

now i aplied for us student visa but they rejected my application.......what i am planning to do is that there is an institute in india...precisly in gurgaon near delhi it called ansals institute for higher education........what they do is that a student needs to complete 1st year of education in india and then second year the credits are transfered to an american university......and one has to complete the second year in america.......

now my question is that if i get admission in this uninversity then would that help me in getting the us visa at all....or would that make my case a little stronger?????

please help

Dinesh,

When it comes to student visas, the immigration officer has lot of discretion. It seems you ended up with someone in bad mood for some reason. I have known foreign students on student visa in Canada and USA in almost phoney programs. So, my feeling is that all you need next time is to get an immigration officer in a better mood. I had posted on Jatland an article "The Student Visa Crapshoot" from an American Magazine a couple of years ago, basically giving the similar explanation.

So, better luck next time.