PDA

View Full Version : Saving the Girl Child - My article in Indian Express

neels
December 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Hi, my article on the Female Foeticide issue appeared in Indian Express today. Here's the link of the article to share with all.

http://epaper.indianexpress.com/IE/IEH/2008/12/16/ArticleHtmls/16_12_2008_543_004.shtml?Mode=0

To make the article look alike the newspaper format, can change the option of text view to newspaper view in the links given above.

Also attaching the picture format, if the link doesnt work.

cooljat
December 16th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Hey Neels,

Wonderful article indeed, quite an eye opening and thought provoking !

Keep up the good work, am proud of you !! :)

Rock on
Jit

Hi, my article on the Female Foeticide issue appeared in Indian Express today. Here's the link of the article to share with all.

http://epaper.indianexpress.com/IE/IEH/2008/12/16/ArticleHtmls/16_12_2008_543_004.shtml?Mode=0

To make the article look alike the newspaper format, can change the option of text view to newspaper view in the links given above.

Also attaching the picture format, if the link doesnt work.

jitendershooda
December 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Good article Neelam Ji. You have mentioned Rohtak being good in Sex ratio ... people like Dr Ranbir Dahiya our JL member have played an important role for the same. I have seen him in seminars and his ragnis for the same.

Also I feel that this will come down in new generation means within next 10 years we will see some considerable improvement. There are many couples who prefer to stop after two girls.

Good write Up, keep it up.

dkumars
December 16th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Good article Neelam ji ... and was informative for me ... I didn know the sex ratio in Rohtak is too high and ppl have taken this issue seriously ...
Hats off Rohtak for hiting the root cause of many problems.

Keep it up Neelam ji and write more. Good constructive work :)

anilsangwan
December 16th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks for sharing the Great article Neelam ji!

A lot of work has been / being done in this direction but still way long to go!

skarmveer
December 16th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks Dr. Neelam for sharing it here. Good for the people working on Men-women ratio specially in north India.

devdahiya
December 16th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Nice take Dr sahiba.Timely article on a burning issue.Keep doing a good job.God bless!

ratheetheraist
December 16th, 2008, 10:00 PM
tht was great seein ur article there tday sis..you n your thoughts really make feel Proud..!! May the word spread all over sis..!!
God bless..!!

neels
December 16th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks a lot to all.
Yes Jitender ji I know that Dr Dahiya Sir is doing a lot in this field. Yes if proper awareness programs will be implemented, hopefully we ll be able to tackle this issue in coming years.
We can not expect instant results, fighting female foeticide is different from playing T 20 cricket matches.

Vikas...m following you :)... roz tumhari fotos dekh dekh ker inspire ho gayi main bhi...;)

nysa
December 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Gud job Di...keep it up !! :)

Nishantrathi82
December 17th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Very good article Di thanks for sharing with us :)

navingulia
December 17th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Very good and purposeful article neelam ji.

it needs a change of mindset. what usually happens is that the father may want a girl child too but i see that most women want a son. son gives the parents a sense of achievement that the son is going to help them realise their dreams and also it gives them a false sense of security. alas, facts speak the opposite.

respect is the answer, respecting the girl childs right to life and its opportunities. right of a girl child to respect.

we need to do all to change mindsets.

poonamchaudhary
December 18th, 2008, 10:59 PM
A very good article indeed ! Neelam ji has rightly said that female foeticide is too complex a crisis to be tackled alone by law. Laws are there but still female foeticide is rampant. It is due to the fact that female foeticide entails many issues, attitudes and biases and so requires an encompassing approach to tackle it. Gender inequality, social biases, legal loopholes, ignorance and many such things feed this demon that is just refusing to die down. The practice of sex selective abortions increased with introduction of techniques like amniocentesis, ultrasound scanning etc. And surprisingly this malpractice exists more in better off states like Panjab and Delhi. The reason is that the access to private sex determination clinics is easier in such states. Further gender discrimination, dowry etc make people biased and lean towards such heinous acts.

It has been observed that given similar healthcare and nutrition women have better chances of survival than men. Even more interesting is the fact that female foetuses have lesser probability of miscarriage than male foetuses. In the places where women are given equal chances of survival, they outnumber men like in regions such as Europe and North America. This anti-female bias is largely responsible for the screwed sex ratios that we see in our country.

sumitsehrawat
December 19th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Neelamji, it's a good article. Hoping to read more from you in future.

ranjitjat
December 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Doctor Neelam Ji. Thanks
I must congratulation to you for writing such a inspiring article. keep up good work-carry on writing.
Things are changing. People started naming Girl Khusi in stead of dhapli-Bhateri.
Kuan Pujan also started on girl birth. It used to happened at boy birth.
Pila ranga de ho.
Mae tao -Boy Holar Jayo
Kuan pujan chale mhari jacha
Pila ranga de ho----- holar ky babu
that was old traditions.

Now The Efforts of the state government to check female foeticide and raise the socio-economic status of women in the state have started yielding results, as ‘kuan pujan’ ceremony, which is performed only to hail the birth of a male child, was performed by a family of Kudal village in Bhiwani district yesterday to celebrate the birth of their newly born daughter.

The ceremony on the birth of a girl child is a trend setting initiative, which marks change in the mindset of Haryanvi people who by nature love to have only male child. The girl has been named Khushi by her parents as they say she has brought happiness in their family.