January 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
A Soldier’s Journey through Life

With

Two Wives

A Book by
Brig Lakshman Singh VSM (Retd)

MSc, PTSC, LDMC, FIETE,
FNTF, MSEMC, DIP AAFT

He was commissioned, post Independence, from IMA Dehradun in Jun 1955.The officers of that vintage were trying to come to terms with the life style of the bygone era, a legacy left by the British Army, albeit with a drastically reduced pay-packet in hand. Thanks to the first pay commission, life was managed by the magic of post-dated cheques, payments by installments, supplemented by frequent withdrawals from the provident fund. A technical graduate, competing with ex NDA and Direct entry compatriots, managed well to overcome the numerous obstacles faced during training and later in service. He has had a chequered career including a long tenure with DRDO while in service and later in R&AW followed by a stint with ECIL, a PSU, as their Defence advisor. Council member of IETE, these days he spends his time in painting, writing and at times interacting with Management and IT students on the topic of Soft- Skills his area of interes

The reader joins the author in his ‘Journey through Life’ some times in 1935-36, following him through the simple ways of life in Western UP villages as perceived by a child of five and six, then to Delhi of yore and the small towns of the province. He feels the cultural shock of the move to Lucknow in the 50’s and the freewheeling life in the university is introduced to the new concept of 'Love at Far Site. Next on to Indian Military Academy at Dehradun in the foothills of Shiwaliks with its dreaded Drill Square and the Obstacle Course, passing-out with the proud but shaky 2nd Lieutenant married to his new, but virtual wife; the ‘Army, to face the pains of growing up in the post Independence Army, a blend of the British traditions and the Indian value system. Soon the reader is introduced with the new 'Babbler', post facing the young officer’s ‘Love at First Sight', feels the pangs of separation in married life and the author’s mental agony due to the conflicting needs and demands of the two wives, one loving and demanding; the other just demanding. Moves with him in the battle ground on entering the 'Valley of Death' to soon face the uncertainties to life and limb, during the 1962 Sino-Indian Conflict, As the author climbs his career ladder, the reader has a chance to look at the intricacies of Command and Staff at Army HQ and the student – instructor relationship in a service environment, so different from traditional institutions. The reader is saddened watching the author's trauma on being a helpless witness to his wife's tenacious fight with cancer, with his only partly successful efforts, to minimise her pains through the long struggle, culminating in her untimely demise, finally to sympathise with his efforts to cope with remorse, pain and guilt of living without her.
Excerpts from which have been read by a large number friend on Jatland under the thread ‘My New Book. The book is going in print soon and is scheduled to be released on 1 March 2009 at Delhi.

Those conveniently located near Delhi and others so interested are cordially invited to the book release function and may kindly confirm attendance by E- mail so that an invitation can be sent to them.

The book is priced at Rs 450/$11. However, it is my pleasure and privilege to offer it at a pre-publication price of Rs 350 to all Jatlanders.
Order can be placed by e- mail followed by a DD for Rs 350 in the name of Brig Lakshman Singh, payable at Noida/Delhi or a local crossed cheque. On the following address

Brig Lakshman Singh VSM
539 Sector 21 Noida
Tele 0120 4267161
E mail lakshman31@gmail.com

The book is written in English UK

PS I have posted this as many Jatland Friends had made queries about this book

sachinb
January 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
Excellent work sir, great to read the text.

sunitahooda
January 23rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
Sir....wonderful....thanks for posting:)

narendra81
January 24th, 2009, 03:07 AM
dear sir,
Itz really nice to read the extract. I am looking forward for the book. I ve heard a lot about you from my dad (a retired Air Force personal) and I wish to know much about u as a person and as an Army Officer. I have always been fascinated about the army life and eager to know much more about it.
In fact i ve spent my childhood hearing the war stories (rather real incidences) from my nanaji :).

I am sure your book will fullfill my desire to know about 'Life of a soldier'.

Sir, I am coming to India on 14feb and wondering if I can get your book that day (I'll be in delhi on 14th feb) and it will be a gr8 day for me if I can get a chance to meet u.

Again, congratulations a lot sir for this book which will definatly be a nice experience for us.

regards,
narendra singh mandiwal

bls31
January 24th, 2009, 08:32 AM
It will be qa pleasure to meet you .let us see what the printer can do . Brig lakshman

mittu
January 24th, 2009, 06:00 PM
This is first Auto-biography i am going to read....Congrats sir...

deependra
January 24th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hi Sir,
I am thrilled after reading the text and eagerly waiting for the book. Right now I am in US, will try to get the book soon once I m back.

trueblueindian
January 24th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Sir,

Many congratulations and wishes for successful print run .. .

wouldnt it be nice if you can post a 16 digit A/C No. so that people can directly deposit the money @350 into your bank A/C and mail you the receipt or better Transaction ID. and you can arrange the dispatch later upon.

:) just an idea as it seems way too comfortable then going in for draft.

regards

sandesh

bls31
January 25th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. will do Brig Lakshman

bls31
January 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Up date .
To day the book has gone to the printer. Bls31

sachinb
January 29th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Congratulations sir. Will surely proved to be a nice reading material

Up date .
To day the book has gone to the printer. Bls31

bls31
February 6th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Dear Friends
The book release has been rescheduled for release on 2 March 2009 .
those interested to attend may kindly confirm by e mail ,Brig lakshman

sachinb
February 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the update sir

Dear Friends

sunitahooda
February 6th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Where is it going to be organized, i'll see if possible to attend. Do I need a pass/ ticket for the ceremony?
Dear Friends

bls31
February 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
You will be my honoured guest, No pass No ticket.
Kindly send me an e mail lakshman31@ gmail.com and i will mail you an invitation.

Release function is planned in Signal Enclave Rao Tula Marg 6 PM 2 March'

Others friends are also invited but must confirm by E mail as it is a military area.

Brig Lakshman

bls31
February 10th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Invitation cards are under print, I will send one to you soon , BLS31

bls31
February 24th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Programme

A Soldier's Journey through Life with Two Wives

Book release Function

2nd March 2009

Welcome of Guests on the dais

Programme Highlights

Welcome address by Brig Lakshman Singh

Release of the book and address by the President

Lt Gen Mohapatra

Readings from the book

Col Vikram Tiwathia

Address by Guest of honour

Lt Gen DP Sehgal

Address by Chief Guest

Lt Gen VC Khanna

Vote of Thanks

Maj Gen N NGupta

bls31
March 1st, 2009, 05:39 PM
Just to remind .

The book release function starts at 6 PM tomorrow the 2 March 2009. bls31

sunitahooda
March 1st, 2009, 05:52 PM
Sir, i'll be there in time:)
Just to remind .

The book release function starts at 6 PM tomorrow the 2 March 2009. bls31

bls31
March 3rd, 2009, 05:26 AM
what happened , waited for you. It was a grand function .missed all friends of Jat Land . Brig lkashman

bls31
March 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
The book release function was a grand success , with more than 100 Guests. the tea was really high , the speeches: inspiring at least to me.It was followed by dinner for the select few , Those who could not join were badly missed . Bls31

sachinb
March 3rd, 2009, 06:40 PM
Congratulations Sir.:rock

The book release function was a grand success , with more than 1000 Guests. the tea was really , the speeches: inspiring at least to me.It was followed by dinner for the select few , Those who could not join were badly missed . Bls31

bls31
March 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM
The book is now available fore sale. Though priced at Rs 450 to friends of Jat Land it is offered for Rs 300. post paid.

Demand can be placed on following address

Brig Lakshman Singh VSM (Retd)

P 539 Sector 21 Noida 201 301
lakshman31@gmail.com

bls31
March 10th, 2009, 08:18 AM
BOOK REVIEW
A Soldier’s Journey through Life with Two Wives. By Brigadier Lakshman Singh VSM (Retd) (NOIDA : BLS Publishers, 2009) pp..306, Rs. 450, ISBN 978-81-901855-1-6.
It is difficult to classify this book – it is neither a love story, nor an autobiography, nor an historical saga, nor a personal narrative. Perhaps, it is a combination of all these and more. In spite of the suggestive title, it is in essence the tale of a man torn between his two loves – his wife and his calling, a dilemma faced not only by soldiers but many others who are wedded to their careers, some even more demanding than the profession of arms. It is not easy to reconcile the demands of one’s family and his job, a point the author has highlighted in his narrative.
Written in an earthy style, the book traces the story of a young boy born in a middle class family in Western Uttar Pradesh, his early education, graduation from college and university, training at the Indian Military Academy, service in various units and training establishments, stints in the DRDO and RAW, retirement from the Army and life thereafter. There are vignettes of village life, ‘boot camp’ during cadet training, the first experience of battle during 1962, and the slow but steady rise up the ladder in the military hierarchy. To keep the reader’s interest alive, the author has peppered the narrative with personal anecdotes. A parallel theme is the poignant story of two people deeply in love - the author and his wife Rosie, also called Jeet. Starting from their courtship and marriage, the book takes us through their intimate moments, separations, reunions, tribulations, the pain suffered by both in her fight with cancer, and her death in his arms.
Though it is a commonplace tale of an ordinary person, there are a few things that make it extraordinary. The book gives an insight into the challenges faced by a military leader, the strong bonds between an officer and his men and the loyalty and grit of the Indian Jawan in the face of adversity.
The only jarring note is the presence of numerous grammatical mistakes and mis-spelt words, which detract from the readability of the book. Notwithstanding this flaw, the book will interest both soldiers and civilians, and will be a valuable addition to libraries as well as personal collections. It is especially recommended for young officers, who will find valuable lessons in command at a sub unit level.
Maj Gen VK Singh
posted by BLS31

bls31
March 15th, 2009, 12:06 PM
For my dear friends who had shown interest in the book

The inaugural offer of the book for Rs 300, post paid, is valid up to March 31, after which it sells for Rs 450.
Brig lakshman singh

bls31
March 18th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Sir,

Many congratulations and wishes for successful print run .. .

wouldnt it be nice if you can post a 16 digit A/C No. so that people can directly deposit the money @350 into your bank A/C and mail you the receipt or better Transaction ID. and you can arrange the dispatch later upon.

:) just an idea as it seems way too comfortable then going in for draft.

regards

sandesh

As suggested by you the account details are as under

Brig Lakshman Singh

A/c no 87782010022304

Syndicate Bank Sector 18 Noida

Brig Lakshman

bls31
March 30th, 2009, 08:09 AM
VIEWS AND REVIEWS
Lt Gen P Mohapatra (SO-in-C)
It is a commendable effort to compile a long Journey in life in such a concise manner …. am sure that this book will be as well received as the earlier one ”Letters from the Border and Other Less Told Stories.” 14 Jan 2009

Lt Gen Sree K umar (SO-in-C)
… A commendable effort…. The book though targeted at the general reader would be of equal interest to service officers especially the Signallers. 15 February 2008

Maj Gen Nanden Pande (Deputy Commandant of MCTE)
I have gone through the chapter, it has come out nicely. Actually at that point in time, I had not realised your problems and were happy to do our own work. You had really insulated us from the environment so that we could work, teach and carry out our part without any hassles. - The then Capt Pande the staff officer.

Lt Col Gautam Mahajan ( Staff Officer to SO-in -C)
I am indeed thankful to you and the SO-in- C for an opportunity to read your book….
….Your friends who forced you to write this book also need to be thanked, lest an apt tribute to Mrs Lakshman Singh and a good reading for us in uniform would have been missed. The book has also a lot of lessons for young officers and young brides…. For Signal Officers, it is a must read book….

H. O. Agarwal (Council member IETE and former Chief engineer of A.I.R. & Doordarshan)
In ‘A Soldiers Journey through life’ the author’s biography, he has expressed his feelings from the heart and how he maintained the act between his career in the Army and his responsibilities to his dear wife children and the family. His description of the Sino –Indian conflict of 1962.which he had witnessed from close quarters, takes the readers to live scenes of the losing war and difficulties faced by our Army Personnel. The book revels much more than written

Comments on the excerpts from the book posted on the Internet

RITU TOMAR
thanks …for sharing the excerpts from ur book pyar anant aseem hota hai suna tha par jindagi me pahli baaar sach me dekha hai.umar ke is padav par saathi ke jaane ke bad ke khalipan ko aapne jis bhavna ke saath ateet ki yaado ke taane baane ke sath apni rachna me buna hai ose pad kar man bhav vibhor ho uttha.

Dr Shashi Verma
After going through all these mails about the book …all i can say is I enjoyed reading it and i am really excited to be a part of this journey. Looking forward for the published version. Wishing you all the very best.

Shallandra Singh Hooda
Congratulations on taking another brave step (well, getting involved with your first and only mistress- Indian Army, of course being the other) by deciding to pen down your life and experiences!!!...… Being the son of an Army Colonel (Late Col. Rajendra Singhji of the 4 Jats regiment) and having enjoyed a joyous childhood living in the awesome army campus Cantonments where ever he was posted...I feel part of the culture and am enjoying the excerpts very much…. A book like this always intrigues the reader about the author and even about some of the associated names, incidents and events in there (or simply the ambiance of those times and places).... therefore I would greatly suggest that you should plan to take some time and rife thru all the wonderful Black and white pictures you must have clicked, archived,…

Jitender Singh Hooda
You have written it superbly ... words stringed into sentences with so much of feeling involved that while I was reading your extracts ... I was feeling like it was before my eyes and I am with you at that moment ... you have poured all your feelings in such a way that its just like illustrative ..... and for the part of her departure my eyes gone wet with the feel of it on... this is the inevitable truth and we all have to accept it ...
Sure sir ... please post few more ... and surely will read this one when published. ... Dont feel that who will read it.... you have done a great job

Dharampal Singh Dudee
Many congratulations for your new book, look forward to read it soon….

bls31
April 15th, 2009, 01:37 PM
some pictures from the book release function BLS31

bls31
April 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM
book release picture

shailendra
April 16th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Congratulations and the Best of luck in the future successes of the book!

Taking that immensely huge step of creating a written memoir, or for that matter even getting a book published is a feat in itself; now I guess you can proudly add another such feather to your already full cap, sir!... :p

bls31
April 16th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks and some more pictures BLS31

bls31
April 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Author signing the book bls31

bls31
May 1st, 2009, 08:54 AM
author with his grand niece who came all the way from UK BLS31