PDA

View Full Version : Do you think LEDs are a good idea?

Sonia1
March 2nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
When we work for long hours under a CFL Lamp, it weakens our eyes and affects our health.It contains toxic substances like mercury which can lead to cancer. Guess its time for us to replace CFL bulbs forLEDs

richi
March 2nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
r u sure that it emits mercury compounds..???if it does then led can be a gd option as then the power consumption will be less i guess ,but may be the quality of light gets a little poor..

ajayrohtak
March 13th, 2009, 01:16 AM
When we work for long hours under a CFL Lamp, it weakens our eyes and affects our health.It contains toxic substances like mercury which can lead to cancer. Guess its time for us to replace CFL bulbs forLEDs
LEDs are good for the mankind in economic terms but could be bad in terms of healthwise:o

rakeshsehrawat
March 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM
CFL contains mercury so we need to find a safe way for its desposal, but during lightening it emits mercury is not possible. Weakning of eyes is also not seen by me as i am using CFL from last 4-5 years. LED is a good solution Cheap and less power consuming but LED light is more concentrated (Chances of eye weakning is more). Illumination by LED is not equally distrbuted at every place. It is better for torch. If we want to use it for home then we need to buy complete set which is costlier i think as it needs chrome plates enclosure. Let's hope this comes out better and cheaper solution.

Sonia1
March 18th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I do agree that Leds are a bit costlier but we can't play with our lives.Had read an article that states CFls harmful for newbies and children..
Rest the decision is up to you...:-)

rocky0036
March 18th, 2009, 04:44 PM
yeap u r right

satyenderdeswal
March 18th, 2009, 06:01 PM
CFL contains mercury so we need to find a safe way for its desposal, but during lightening it emits mercury is not possible (Absolutely right as mercury emmission possibility is just a joke because for mercury emmission , temp. required is even more then 1500 deg c) . Weakning of eyes is also not seen by me as i am using CFL from last 4-5 years. LED is a good solution Cheap and less power consuming but LED light is more concentrated (Chances of eye weakning is more). Illumination by LED is not equally distrbuted at every place.Equal distribution is a very small issue.Can be resolved by merely putting Prism glass on LED set (Already in use in western countries for domestic purpose as well as for head lights and tail lights of vehicles) .Equal distribution It is better for torch. If we want to use it for home then we need to buy complete set which is costlier i think as it needs chrome plates enclosure.(One time Cost as LED life is 100 times,even more then 100 times life as compared to CFL) Let's hope this comes out better and cheaper solution.

I do agree that Leds are a bit costlier but we can't play with our lives.Had read an article that states CFls harmful for newbies and children..
Rest the decision is up to you...:-)
I do agreee with you Sonia that its costly but in long term it is very usefull and I am sure that in future it will replace the CFL also. but CFL also is not so harmfull (Very little effect on new born babies which is nearabout equals the normal light effect) as described by you.