PDA

View Full Version : Exams, children, suicides

navingulia
March 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Dear Friends,
According to National crime records around 5-6000 students commit suicides succumbing to pressure of exams and bad results.(and this is only official recorded figure, real figure could be much higher)
In almost all cases, parental pressure is the chief reason.
With annual exams and results season just around the corner, we at ADAA thought of sending and circulating this reminder.
Have a talk with your child. Encourage him to do well but at the same time tell him that bad results can happen and should be taken in the stride.
Please dont emphasize on the child that bad results means 'end of the world for them'.
You can talk to school counselors on this. Spread this message among all parents.
Thanks
navin gulia

satyenderdeswal
March 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Navin ji,

One more thing which our govt.can take care is to implement grading system in schools and board exams in place of % or ranking system..

This will reduce the level of competetion.
My view is that till senior secondary, children are not so mature to understand that good results or bad results is not a criteria or a reason to end up there life.
Dear Friends,
According to National crime records around 5-6000 students commit suicides succumbing to pressure of exams and bad results.(and this is only official recorded figure, real figure could be much higher)
With annual exams and results season just around the corner, we at ADAA thought of sending and circulating this reminder.
Have a talk with your child. Encourage him to do well but at the same time tell him that bad results can happen and should be taken in the stride.
Please dont emphasize on the child that bad results means 'end of the world for them'.
You can talk to school counselors on this. Spread this message among all parents.
Thanks
navin gulia

SANDEEP5
March 4th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Dear Friends,
Thanks
navin gulia

Nice work Gulia ji,

Yeah parental pressure is the main cause for this. Because as per my view one side is this that the parents who have achieved a high in their life they expect from their child to grow them more than that. And the second is this that the parents who have not achieved high in their life they expect from their child to grow them more and more than others child. But this is not good for student's future. Because right now the situation is more worst in competition as compare to a decade back. That time parents dont have too much expectation from their child but now situation has been changed and parents need their child to grow more than others and they relate this to their prestige.

So as per conclusion parents think twice before saying anything rude to their child due to their exam result. :)

Thanks.....

deepika
March 4th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Naveen jee thanks for picking up such a lovely issue and to bring it here.This is one issue which needs attention.Parents push their kids to score good marks.Very often parents compare kids with other kids who are doing academically well.Which is tend to develop inferiority complex within the child.
Things have changed now in my schooltime i remember i had to carry a heavy bag only 5th or may be 6th class onwards and today if u hold a bag of a kid who is in 2nd u might faint as its so heavy:eek:My niece is in 2nd standard and i was surprised to see her book in which there were names of such birds i hadn't seen and hadn't heard of:confused:I wonder why such things make a part of syllabus?i mean if a kid is interested in a particular field he/she can opt in later part of life but why to make kids learn so much which actually is not required.I do agree that knowledge is power and one should try to grab more and more of it.But look at those small kids they have a small world of their own.Don't just push them to only study.Let them explore the place around,let them weave their own dreams,let them play and let them be a free bird till the time they need to spread their wings to learn how to fly.Parents are too demanding sometimes.They want their kids to study and pursue the profession of their choice.So many school going teenagers are forced to take stream of their parents' choice.When they have nobody to share their problem with and nobody understands them they give up as they cannot see even a hope.When children are pressed so much and even parents also dont try to understand them ofcourse they are tend to get depressed.I think in every school there should be a child counsellor to hear their problem.Sometimes its not only exam or studies which can lead a child to depression but could be any personal problem like ill treatment by parents,frequent quarrels between parents or may be child abuse.If you have watched the movie'Taare Zameen Par'(those parents who havn't please u must watch it) and thinking that the movie was only about Dyslexia then think again.It also conveyed how parents who expect their kids to excel and conquer the world at any cost are killing the dreams of the kids.Inspiring a child for a healthy competition is o.k but forcing them is not fair at all.Everyone has a dream,its not necessary that if one is not doing good academically he/she is good for nothing.Bill Gates,Micheal Dell,Richard Branson and there are so many examples.This world has so much apart from studies but parents dont really consider sometimes.For example we all like sport personalities and are aware of the fact that its a good profession to get into.But still most of the parents like to see their kids good in studies,for them a kids world should begin from studies and should end with studies which is unfair.Parents should support child in whatever child wants to pursue(if its not illegal).To be precise Parents should try to be a child's strength rather than a just one of those stress giving element.

Dear Friends,
Thanks
navin gulia

navingulia
March 5th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Satyendar Bro,
Yes, grading system will be less stressfull. Hope it is implemented soon.

Parental pressure is a major factor here. Child is not mature enough to deal with it.

Deepika, You have brought out a number of important observations, which people dont usually discuss.

1. donkey work kind of hard work can bring good marks but it kills creativity. I remember a girl one year my senior who topped tenth board but lost her mental balance after that and had to be shifted from science to arts in a bid to pass her twelth.
2. pressurising kids to realise your own dreams of excellence is unjust. Yes, children need to be disciplined and should know what hard work means but parents should know where to draw the line.
be watchful if you see your child brooding over a scolding for long or if he/she is depressed by preparation or results
3. Counselor to whom a child can speak is a must. There was no such concept when i was in school, but its a must.
School and peer pressure can also pressurise a child, so a parent should be watchfull if the child is himself/herself getting into a pressure situation.

'children dont need critiques as much as they need ideals' parents and elders have to be the role models themselves.

sidchhikara
March 5th, 2009, 11:23 AM
In our country there is a nasty fight to the death for survival.
All these children know that the exam results can make or break their future. This is a very sad situation.

Government is responsible for it. It maintains a vice like grip on higher education because it can use it to extract political mileage - through reservations. This is a matter of great shame ...... we should all realize that the blood of these kids is on governemnt's hand - nothing more nothing less - this is the only truth.

mukeshkumar007
March 5th, 2009, 11:40 AM
baat yeh hai ki ya janta ghani hypocrate hai.. dusro ke liye to gyaan de degi ki bacho par pressure nai dalna chaiye aur wo nai karna chaiye..lakin ghare ake khud ale chore ya chori ke kainch ke rapta bajwenge je wo khelta paya gaya to.. :D unko bi dar rehe hai ki padosi ke chora jyada pad jyaga to jeen na denge..:D

wesye bacho ko agar unke hisab se rehne diya jaye to ade se jyada to property dealer banna chawe hai :D ib aise time maie parents bi ke kare..

ssgoyat
March 5th, 2009, 04:29 PM
baat yeh hai ki ya janta ghani hypocrate hai.. dusro ke liye to gyaan de degi ki bacho par pressure nai dalna chaiye aur wo nai karna chaiye..lakin ghare ake khud ale chore ya chori ke kainch ke rapta bajwenge je wo khelta paya gaya to.. :D unko bi dar rehe hai ki padosi ke chora jyada pad jyaga to jeen na denge..:D

wesye bacho ko agar unke hisab se rehne diya jaye to ade se jyada to property dealer banna chawe hai :D ib aise time maie parents bi ke kare..

mukki bhai & all

jattan ke balkaan ne ya azaadi de di jaa to we kimme na kare....(pls: me gaam ke balkan ki baat karu su)

na te we khet me kaam kar ke rajji na we paddh likkh ke rajji....

khet me kaam unpe bane nahi, nashe (bidi, siggrat, daru..) ne unke kharab kar diya hai...

kalleej me pehli bas te, chhorriyan ne chhedte hod avenge.....class bunk maar ke kallej me taas khellenge.....ar saanjh ali last bus me oppar tanngh ke javenge...

dhanya ho unka jo reservation ka jhunjhuna pakda ke unhe aur nukamma ban ne ko prerit karenge...please don't kill merit...don't make jat balaks more nikkamma....

aaj bhi gaam me dasmi (10th) baramhi (12th) karna bahut badi uplabdhi mana jaata hai...:eek:

mere yaad se, kyukkar manne pacche pe dande khaye the, arr mere tau ale balak paas karvae the...kaandh par ko kood ke, parchi pakda ke aya karta tha...:p

in susran pe kimme farak na pade, ye bairi na jhelle padhai ka paressar.......chahe borad ke papper me 5 baar fel ho jyah...:D

jaat ka balak kade tension naa leve...chahe gaam ka ho ya shehar ka...haan par baad me 5~10 saal baad in dina ne yaad karke, daru pee ke fer roya kare in dinaa ne, ak kimme do akshar paddh letta to ke jaa tha...

mukeshkumar007
March 5th, 2009, 05:29 PM
mukki bhai & all

jattan ke balkaan ne ya azaadi de di jaa to we kimme na kare....(pls: me gaam ke balkan ki baat karu su)

khet me kaam unpe bane nahi, nashe (bidi, siggrat, daru..) ne unke kharab kar diya hai...

kalleej me pehli bas te, chhorriyan ne chhedte hod avenge.....class bunk maar ke kallej me taas khellenge.....ar saanjh ali last bus me oppar tanngh ke javenge...

dhanya ho unka jo reservation ka jhunjhuna pakda ke unhe aur nukamma ban ne ko prerit karenge...please don't kill merit...don't make jat balaks more nikkamma....

aaj bhi gaam me dasmi (10th) baramhi (12th) karna bahut badi uplabdhi mana jaata hai...:eek:

mere yaad se, kyukkar manne pacche pe dande khaye the, arr mere tau ale balak paas karvae the...kaandh par ko kood ke, parchi pakda ke aya karta tha...:p

in susran pe kimme farak na pade, ye bairi na jhelle padhai ka paressar.......chahe borad ke papper me 5 baar fel ho jyah...:D

jaat ka balak kade tension naa leve...chahe gaam ka ho ya shehar ka...haan par baad me 5~10 saal baad in dina ne yaad karke, daru pee ke fer roya kare in dinaa ne, ak kimme do akshar paddh letta to ke jaa tha...

shabd nai milre parsansa karan ko mujhe abi..

wesye yo exam ka stress, padai ka pressure yeh sab ajkal hi sunn ko milte hai.. pehli koni hoti isi baata..
exam ale din bi khet maie thodi dair kaam kara ke pher bhagte bhagte jate the pher bi pressure na ata tha :D
kimi to loga ne howa bi jyada bana diya..aur is wajeh se ghane k bache kashkar sehra maie ghane mentally darpok hote ja hai..

bache to ho jo hoo bade bade kungar bi bera na kye ho jya hai..

abi thodi din pehli exam dene gaya to weha mere se age ali seat par ek chora beta tha.. us yaar ne ankhe to band kar rakhi thi aur badbada reha tha.. cool gorav cool.. take it easy cool cool.. :D

maie dar gya ki iske kye ho liya..ja ke poocha ki bhaishab theek ho.. bola yaar plz don't disturb me.. pher wapis saru hoga.. usne dekh ke sare jane tension maie aa liye the.. :D

ab ise kye nyaal karenge !!

achi samsya hai..parents bacho ko khule chod de to bache ite samjdar to hai na ki wo dang ka kaam karenge.. aur agar parents dara dhamka ke padan ke kehwe to unke stress ajya hai !! ib kye ho sake hai inka

ssgoyat
March 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
shabd nai milre parsansa karan ko mujhe abi..

wesye yo exam ka stress, padai ka pressure yeh sab ajkal hi sunn ko milte hai.. pehli koni hoti isi baata..
exam ale din bi khet maie thodi dair kaam kara ke pher bhagte bhagte jate the pher bi pressure na ata tha :D
kimi to loga ne howa bi jyada bana diya..aur is wajeh se ghane k bache kashkar sehra maie ghane mentally darpok hote ja hai..

bache to ho jo hoo bade bade kungar bi bera na kye ho jya hai..

abi thodi din pehli exam dene gaya to weha mere se age ali seat par ek chora beta tha.. us yaar ne ankhe to band kar rakhi thi aur badbada reha tha.. cool gorav cool.. take it easy cool cool.. :D

maie dar gya ki iske kye ho liya..ja ke poocha ki bhaishab theek ho.. bola yaar plz don't disturb me.. pher wapis saru hoga.. usne dekh ke sare jane tension maie aa liye the.. :D

ab ise kye nyaal karenge !!

achi samsya hai..parents bacho ko khule chod de to bache ite samjdar to hai na ki wo dang ka kaam karenge.. aur agar parents dara dhamka ke padan ke kehwe to unke stress ajya hai !! ib kye ho sake hai inka

mukki bhai

engg ke dino me mera ek room mate tha , jat e tha (me kise aur ne room mate na banaya karu tha, bhaja diya karta...:-p)

uss saand ne 7 saal ho gaye engg. karte hod, arr katti bhi tension na letta bairee.....kai rohtak arr hisar ke the mere gel, jo papperan ki katti bhi tension na liya karte the...

ek saand to palwal ke MLA ka chhora tha, bairee papper kadhwa ke admssion le liya, babbu dhakke te engineering karwave tha, ak chhore ka suthra byah ho jyaga....gaam guhaand me naam ho jyaga...
o bairee , mere kamre me coller agge maskode mar ke so jaya karta.....ak me na jatta papar den, jaddyan me deunga, garmi se aaj...

arr aakkhar me 3-4 saal mauj le ke ghar kyanh ne enggg chhudva e di......par patthe ne kade tension na li....

kai rohtak arr hisarr ke ghane balak hoya karte the, ek te badh ke eek....:-p

2002 ki baat hai, me govt. kallej Hisar, Bsc 1st year ke papper den laag raha tha, mere gel ek 26~27 saal ki katti dessi guhaand ki chhori baithi thi, wa BA-IInd ke deve thi, arr bayhi hod, balkaan ali...

me arr wo donnu apni parchi kaadh kaddh nakal maaran laag rahe the....itne me flying aa gi...mera pehle experience tha nakal maran ka, mere passine chaddh ge, arr haath kamman laag rahe...makha gaya aaj to....

wa bolli..lya bhai ura ne de teri parchi....arr usne meri ekloti parchi, apne parchiyon ke bhandaar gel, daab li...(batan ki jarurat nahi kitt...:-P)

manne te fer ulti bhi na maangi uspe sharam ke mare, arr wa unke jatte e fer dabb ke shuru ho gayiii....

bhai papperan ki tension...to mhara jaat balak, ar baalikaen katti bhi na lette...

ye to shahar ale balak sain, jin ne padossi ke balak ki dhaal 90% te uppar lyane e sain.....na te babbu cycle, mottor cycle na lyaa ke de...:p

deepika
March 10th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Yes you are right....yeh reservation ka jhunjhuna problem ko bad se worse kar dega.....in villages kids neither want to study now want to work n help their family in agriculture....Aise ladko ko kisi jaankaar ke akhaade me chood dena chaiye kuch dinn...i guess akal theekane aa jaayegi unki....Sometimes children are tempted to go for some profession where they think people make easy money without any hard work....In such cases i suppose best thing to do is that parents should ask the kid what profession he/she wants to take in later part of life.Now even if a kid says he/she wants to be a propery dealer ask again why he/she wants to be a property dealer or something else.There's nothing wrong with any profession be it a property dealer but one should have right approach towards the same...If a kid gives u a reason which suggests that he/she doesn't want to work hard and want to make big money(though money is deriving force for many professions) then parents can tell them to think of some other profession except the one kid has mentioned....this world has a lot to explored and given...every profession has a scope....be it choreography,shoe designing,jewellery designing,accessories designing,interior designing,fashion designing,pot designers,chef,Disco jockey and even wrestling:DSo of one is really passionate about any of the profession and can excel in that feild then one should just go ahead.But still i think if a person doesn't have any specific dream and even choose to be a farmer still he should study and get good education because in agriculture itself there's so much to to study.One can get knoweledge of agricultural products which havn't been cultivated in and around the areas where he stays.I believe knowledge is the most precious posession of a person.So knoweldge about anything never goes waste.

mukki bhai & all

narendersingh
March 10th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Keep the child away from the pressure.NEVER PRESSURISE THEM with your thoughts,views.Teach him to tackle and handle .Child are too fragile.handle them with care.They will give excellent results when they get open mental enviro. Proper guidance,proper methodology,proper diet,proper sleep will boost your kid like the nitro boosters.