PDA

View Full Version : Again a question for moderators

VPannu
March 7th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Deshwal ji and Narwal bhai saab, Sidchhikara raised a question (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26887) which I too believe was legitimate and the way both of you locked down his threads was totally inappropriate. Since the policy on jatland.com is not to entertain any thread constituted of copy-paste material. Now I ask you (moderators) why don't you apply the same policy unanimously to each and every thread.
For the time being as an example I can bring out this thread by Satyendar Deswal http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26794 . Whats happening here? Why did you condone this thread? Why only Sid's threads? Deswal ji, Narwal bhai saab chuggarrde ke aankh ghumaa ke dekhi hoti to yo thread bhi dikh jaata.
PS: Bhai Satyendar sorry to bring out your thread. I really mean no offense to you. I just brought this out to question the working of moderators, hope you take it in all good spirits.

sunitahooda
March 7th, 2009, 11:40 AM
IF we talk about COPY/PASTE stuff then these thread should have been closed as soon they were started> Meri pasand ka Hindi Song/ Meri pasand ka Angrezi Geet/ Hindi Kavita/ Gazlas- the finest ever/ SHAYARI and soooooooooo many:confused: THese delivered NO KNOWLEDGE but these were GOOD TO INCREASE POST COUNT;) i also contributed. Sid's thread was good and more so an eye-opener:)
Deshwal ji and Narwal bhai saab, Sidchhikara raised a question (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26887) which I too believe was legitimate and the way both of you locked down his threads was totally inappropriate. Since the policy on jatland.com is not to entertain any thread constituted of copy-paste material. Now I ask you (moderators) why don't you apply the same policy unanimously to each and every thread.
For the time being as an example I can bring out this thread by Satyendar Deswal http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26794 . Whats happening here? Why did you condone this thread? Why only Sid's threads? Deswal ji, Narwal bhai saab chuggarrde ke aankh ghumaa ke dekhi hoti to yo thread bhi dikh jaata.
PS: Bhai Satyendar sorry to bring out your thread. I really mean no offense to you. I just brought this out to question the working of moderators, hope you take it in all good spirits.

VPannu
March 7th, 2009, 11:47 AM
IF we talk about COPY/PASTE stuff then these thread should have been closed as soon they were started> Meri pasand ka Hindi Song/ Meri pasand ka Angrezi Geet/ Hindi Kavita/ Gazlas- the finest ever/ SHAYARI and soooooooooo many:confused: THese delivered NO KNOWLEDGE but these were GOOD TO INCREASE POST COUNT;) i also contributed. Sid's thread was good and more so an eye-opener:)
Yes why not lock them too. meri pasand ke songs threads are height of copy paste, instead of pasting the whole lyrics we can just paste the URL. just click and read the lyrics or watch the video

sunitahooda
March 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM
List doesn't end here- Catch the word/ Antakshri/ Jatland Community mailbox....Hmm meri yaadasht tai theeke sai:o
Yes why not lock them too. meri pasand ke songs threads are height of copy paste, instead of pasting the whole lyrics we can just paste the URL. just click and read the lyrics or watch the video

satyeshwar
March 7th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hi Vivek,
I agree that we shouldn't just copy paste. Unless you have something from your own side to add, it simply doesn't provide any value to just put the lyrics of an entire song. Same goes for news articles, medical/technical information etc.
Therefore, I have put a warning in those English/Hindi threads for members to refrain from this practice.
-Satyeshwar

spdeshwal
March 7th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Dear vivek

I just looked for some new threads and it was incidentle with no intention to pick on Siddarth's threads. I am sorry for missing other threads you have mentioned!

I would be the last person to discourage unnessessarily any member and that too a worthy member like Siddharth Chhikara.

Cheers!

sidchhikara
March 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Vivek,
Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Why do the moderators have an aversion to material from other sources? Moderators should only be concerned about the fact that the sources are cited and credit given to the source of the material that is presented on this portal. Giving credit to the original source is ethical and should be encouraged. I personally always make sure that I include the original link in my post.

It amazes me that this is even an issue. Have the moderators ever hear of digg, reddit, aggregators. If everybody followed the policy currently on Jatland then the internet would stop functioning. All major blogs have options where you can post material from other portals/blogs and the source will be notified in the form of a comment. This is the only mechanism by which good blogs become popular .......

C'mon guys step into the 21st century and raise your standards for God's sake. This is not 5th class hindi essay competition where you have make sure nobody is copying.

Here is a list of some of the most popular aggregators and they all COPY_PASTE .. they are quite popular and the first one in the list also has a permanent seat at President Obama's press conferences......

www.huffingtonpost.com
www.drudgereport.com
www.marginalrevolution.com - they cross-reference extensively

Oh man I can't list all of them . It will take me a few years... I think there are millions of blogs on the internet .. they all cross-reference. The onnly caveat is to make sure CREDIT IS GIVEN to the source. Thats it ... nothing more nothing less.

satyenderdeswal
March 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Vivek ji,

I am agree with u that rules are rules, but as much I hv realised the things are like "Its very easy to find the loop holes in every strong system but the tough thing is to appreciate the strong points".

10 -12 moderator hongey, 1000on kaam hongey...karey odd kaama ne te koi dekhey na, per koi cheese miss ho jya te unki taang khinch khinch ke lathha de dyo...

sumitteotia
March 7th, 2009, 05:48 PM
My suggestion is to let moderators know by messaging them or mailling them about the threads which are just copy-paste stuff....also u should mention the appropriate reason why to block or close that thread...then i dont think so moderators willhave any problem in stopping those threads....i beleive that moderators are doing good job..may be sometimes they missed out some thread which is a copy paste stuff....
Wat i can see moderators are more concentrated on the new stuff..new threads started by the members....baby sitting those threads ..so that copy-paste stuff should not be there..only the relevant threads should be cross through...
Regarding the Old Threads ..i think they will be analysing...it wont happen in a day or two..that all the copy-paste threads should be closed..its a continuous process, so will take time....

And our job is to trust the moderators for doin their good work....and if smthing is bothering us then we should let them know...i dont think so starting a new thread like "Questions for moderators" will solve the things we actually want. best way is to mail themwith the appropriate reason.

sachinb
March 7th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Bhai Sateyshwar,,,just a request sab te pahlyaa is Meri Pasand ko Angreji gaane aale thread ka rog kaat dyo,,,,,its really irritating when people paste the whole song after searching through google,,,,,aur what is the guarranty that a person has really listened to that:D,,,,,,though i tried to give Nayi Deesha to that thread by giving some input,,,,,,,,,leking bhai mere khyaal se Jatland par Haryanvi raagnis, and other folks song which are listned by Jats in the different part of Rajasthan and UP should be written:rock

Hi Vivek,
I agree that we shouldn't just copy paste. Unless you have something from your own side to add, it simply doesn't provide any value to just put the lyrics of an entire song. Same goes for news articles, medical/technical information etc.
Therefore, I have put a warning in those English/Hindi threads for members to refrain from this practice.
-Satyeshwar

rocky0036
March 7th, 2009, 08:05 PM

sunita ji pura india copy paste hai okey

her chiz dusre desho ki dhek kar banta hai

waise b her chiz copy paste hoti hai

aap jo word likkte ho na wo bhi copy paste hai ji

aapne nhi banya inhe so

sachinb
March 8th, 2009, 12:11 PM
If we go with your view point and in addition to my view point,,,,then our thoughts are influenced by our forefather, colleagues, surrounding environment,,,etc etc etc etc & etc,,,,that way the thoughts of an individual also come under that category and no new thought or initiative can be termed as original,,,,,,,,,

Here we are talking about typical kaapi paste,,,,,,,

There are certain things which are beyond and above Logic,,,,and they can not be bridled with reasoning/logic, facts, statistics etc etc etc & etc,,,,,generally I prefer to talk and give my view which at times are above and beyond the reach of Logic:rock

sunita ji pura india copy paste hai okey

aapne nhi banya inhe so

sunitahooda
March 8th, 2009, 08:20 PM
ACHA:eek:mujhe nahi pata tha Manjeet Ji....waise INDIA KO KAHAN SE COPY/CUT/PASTE KIYA GAYA HAI....Kya ye pehley kisi aur CONTINENT ka hissa hota tha....kripya prakash daalein mujhe behad utsukta ho rahi hai:olagta hai aap aur mai bhi copy/paste hain....hum kahin aur paida huay they par INDIA mein copy/paste kar diye gaye hain....:D:p

India se kafi s/w engineers/ doctor/ scholars videsh gaye hain Ji to poori technology copy/paste nahi hai aur kisi cheez ko nakal karney mein bhi akal lagti hai aur AKAL KO COPY/PASTE NAHI KAR SAKTEY JI:)
sunita ji pura india copy paste hai key

aapne nhi banya inhe so

kapdal
March 9th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Strong agreer. Point is not which thread was missed and which was locked. Point is why lock any thread as long as appropriate referencing was done. I may want to discuss a topic which has been dealt with in a newspaper article of blog. If you want others to see anything that you have seen, you got to provide the link with due credits!

Ironically, the threads that survive are where people just copy paste without even giving credit to the original source. As it would be very difficult to google search phrases of each post to check out if it is original or copy-paste.

Vivek,
Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Why do the moderators have an aversion to material from other sources? Moderators should only be concerned about the fact that the sources are cited and credit given to the source of the material that is presented on this portal. Giving credit to the original source is ethical and should be encouraged. I personally always make sure that I include the original link in my post.

It amazes me that this is even an issue. Have the moderators ever hear of digg, reddit, aggregators. If everybody followed the policy currently on Jatland then the internet would stop functioning. All major blogs have options where you can post material from other portals/blogs and the source will be notified in the form of a comment. This is the only mechanism by which good blogs become popular .......

C'mon guys step into the 21st century and raise your standards for God's sake. This is not 5th class hindi essay competition where you have make sure nobody is copying.

Here is a list of some of the most popular aggregators and they all COPY_PASTE .. they are quite popular and the first one in the list also has a permanent seat at President Obama's press conferences......

www.huffingtonpost.com (http://www.huffingtonpost.com)
www.drudgereport.com (http://www.drudgereport.com)
www.marginalrevolution.com (http://www.marginalrevolution.com) - they cross-reference extensively

Oh man I can't list all of them . It will take me a few years... I think there are millions of blogs on the internet .. they all cross-reference. The onnly caveat is to make sure CREDIT IS GIVEN to the source. Thats it ... nothing more nothing less.

satyeshwar
March 9th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Siddharth/Kapil,
I think you are not getting the point. We are not against members discussing material from other places, what we ARE against is they just putting up a link or just copy pasting something without saying anything else from their own side. There are a thousand other sites (like Siddharth mentioned) where you can go do that if you are only interested in pasting links! We need some input from our members as well.
-Satyeshwar

poonam
March 9th, 2009, 11:09 PM
We need some input from our members as well.
-Satyeshwar

Now, thats not fair Satye..:p

(Kisse dhore time naa ho tae...and topic interesting/hot ho tae..:confused:)

sidchhikara
March 9th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Siddharth/Kapil,
I think you are not getting the point. We are not against members discussing material from other places, what we ARE against is they just putting up a link or just copy pasting something without saying anything else from their own side. There are a thousand other sites (like Siddharth mentioned) where you can go do that if you are only interested in pasting links! We need some input from our members as well.
-Satyeshwar

If you wait for a few minutes before closing the thread, people will discuss it and leave comments. Maybe the referenced material is good enough to where it represents what the thread starter wanted to say.
I am sorry but I still cannot wrap my head around this .... people can quibble over anything ... I guess this time its copy-paste.

kapdal
March 10th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Siddharth/Kapil,
-Satyeshwar

Satyeshwar,

Thanks for clarifying. I had got that point earlier, but my own argument is that it is needless and probably counterproductive policing. If it is a ridiculous copy paste not worth debating, people won't debate it. Market forces would eventually prevail. In fact, it is a very legitimate form of discussion where a moderator actually throws a topic by giving a write-up from some source to the group, and then leaves the house open for debate, while participating himself later. In my opinion, the right question for an administrator to ask is- what harm does it cause OR what's the cost/benefit? And it should be evaluated in context of all other material that's present on the forum.

Kapil

kapdal
March 10th, 2009, 02:53 AM
If you wait for a few minutes before closing the thread, people will discuss it and leave comments. Maybe the referenced material is good enough to where it represents what the thread starter wanted to say.
I am sorry but I still cannot wrap my head around this .... people can quibble over anything ... I guess this time its copy-paste.

Sid,
The policy is what it is. I won't blame anyone for enforcing a policy but rather the policy itself. The only way to influence policy is to give feedback and hope for flexibility. But in case you can't change it, you can work around it. You can still copy paste an article you found interesting and put your 2 cents along with it. From Satyeshwar's comments, I am assuming that you can do that as long as you add your views with it. In my opinion, it makes the policy redundant. But then that's probably the best thing that can happen to it.

spdeshwal
March 10th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Personally, I have no problem with some quality information in the form of copy/ paste! I did close a couple of threads while following the norms! But, I would still suggest that a member who provides a link/ copy paste information should also give his or her opinion before asking other members to participate and contribute!

Cheer!

sidchhikara
March 10th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Sid,
The policy is what it is. I won't blame anyone for enforcing a policy but rather the policy itself. The only way to influence policy is to give feedback and hope for flexibility. But in case you can't change it, you can work around it. You can still copy paste an article you found interesting and put your 2 cents along with it. From Satyeshwar's comments, I am assuming that you can do that as long as you add your views with it. In my opinion, it makes the policy redundant. But then that's probably the best thing that can happen to it.

Well ... it is what it is ... the caretakers here don't want it to change. These things shouldn't be so hard. It is like everything else with us as a people ... dimaag ki dahi karna, bheja fry, magaj ka halwa, dimag ki rabdi .......... whatever......

vijay
March 10th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Sid,

First of all i would like to say that the thread started by you was good enough to start and was worth discussing. But then policy is a policy. Didn't you came across so many copy paste materials with no response. No, i don't want to say that copy paste material is not good to discuss. But allowing these type of copy paste material for a thread invites a lot of garbage new threads without having any substantial thoughts.

In past, there were lot of threads being started almost everyday with a news clipping ( sometime just a link only ... and without a single sentence from the thread starter ). To avoid that scenario only, this policy was/is introduced and its not that bad if you see the overall situation of copy paste threads a whole.

So, i would like to say, you should start the thread again with some valuable input from your side and we can discuss that here instead of talking about policies and other issues.

Only some positive results can convince the Admins/Moderators to change or amend the policies but not arguments. :)

sachinb
March 10th, 2009, 03:14 PM
in agreement with you Deshwal ji:rock

Personally, I have no problem with some quality information in the form of copy/ paste! I did close a couple of threads while following the norms! But, I would still suggest that a member who provides a link/ copy paste information should also give his or her opinion before asking other members to participate and contribute!

Cheer!

anilsinghd
March 10th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Now, thats not fair Satye..:p

(Kisse dhore time naa ho tae...and topic interesting/hot ho tae..:confused:)

and agar moderators ke paas time na ho Poonam ji to ? :confused:

Well I know it is hard for Sid and others to digest a quality thread going down , but I am pretty sure all will appreciate that there cannot be absolute policies.

Yes , Mods can be a bit flexible but then you will see people crying over their own nonsense threads te rming them as "quality" ! And that would be a waste of everyone's time and energy.

I guess there is a workaround which Satyeshwar suggested , try and put a few lines of your own views , I am pretty sure that is worth if you sicnerely think the material is worth a read for everyone!

@ Kapil : Market forces :D was funny but true!

-- Anil

poonam
March 12th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I still have the same opinion if the topic seems to be interesting enough to share, I see no issues but anyway.....

and agar moderators ke paas time na ho

Saare sapne sach naa hoya kare baawle..:D