PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging negative Stereo types

deepakchoudhry
March 7th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Dear Friends,

Do we encourage negative stereo types of certain communities when we constantly joke about them eg chamar, chudaa, nai, baniya etc etc

Don't you find use of these terms offensive or derogatory?

Yes we have every right to laugh at ourselves but Don't you think it's wrong to put down other communities?

If someone used these kinds stereo types against Jats, I'm sure we will a have great debate about it.

I'm not liberal left or being Politically correct here but surely if we expect the society to respect us, we should do the same to others.

I encourage our fine jatlanders for a response.

God bless,

Deepak

anilsinghd
March 8th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Do we encourage negative stereo types of certain communities when we constantly joke about them eg chamar, chudaa, nai, baniya etc etc

A quality topic , Kudos and Thanks for the same.

As is clear from the post of yourself that you are expecting a backlash , and so am I because I am the first one to reply! :)

I always and i repeat it , always find it wrong to say s tatements like the ones you mentioned. The credentials I want to add is from a thread "Vision for Jats -- ... " from the Editorial section where I pointed out a statement from a fellow JLer about Baniyas because I found that derogatory.
People might be tempted to call me "Angrej" or "Softist" or whatever but I have always had a strong disliking for usage of these kind of words! Same goes for the use of lets say "Bihari". Again as was mentioned on a thread called "Can Words express ... " , I am not hypothesising that I never used them but surely I dont use them as often as I have seen some do.
As often r ep eat ed on this portal and on an orkut community (which I am currently moderating and doing it for last 3 years ) , Jat-ish-ness should not be used as a protection for saying these bad words. Also inheritance or heritage is no use in just ifying this kind of language. We certainly do not do the same thing as our parents and grand parents so if we can change for good for our education and professional development why not in this regard ? Its all about building on the inherited culture , is not it ?
:)

I have tried my level best to reduce and eliminate such form of language from my life and is very satisfied on the level which is next to nothing. And I can only improve , my suggestion to everyone would be to follow the same for good! Rest I always respect the axiom of choice! :)

Regards,
Anil

amans
March 8th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Dear Friends,

Yes we have every right to laugh at ourselves but Don't you think it's wrong to put down other communities?

If someone used these kinds stereo types against Jats, I'm sure we will a have great debate about it.

I'm not liberal left or being Politically correct here but surely if we expect the society to respect us, we should do the same to others.

I encourage our fine jatlanders for a response.

God bless,

Deepak

It is convenient to compartmentalize people. Many times people don't even know they are stereotyping. Jats also stereotype other jats - delhi walla jat, sonepat walla jat, up jat vs harayan jat vs rajasthan jat. There are all sorts of stereotyping. People are stereoyped on the basis of their occupation, place of origin, caste, gender, race, country of origin etc. Besides Indians, people all around the World do that too. Stereotyping is prevalent in every society. Take the example of Jewish people - in Europe they were restricted from all occupations except money lending. That helped to create the particular stereotype of jews. The only way I see to control stereotyping to interact with people of those communities(not being kuween ka mendak) and make a conscious effort to control it.

deepika
March 8th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Absolutely correct.I also crack jokes about chudda,chamars sometimes but to be honest i have nothing against them personally.It comes naturally for example if we talk about "Sardars"i know they are really nice people and good at heart but still if someone utters this word"Sardar' we know that the person is going to crack a joke.Sometimes we dont even need to use this word coz' tere baraa baj gaye' is enough to suggest the same.If i crack a joke about them i dont think it makes me a stereotype(may be i am in real).Surprisingly a few of my surd friends laugh if someone cracks jokes about sardars and they dont feel bad at all.Ofcourse this stereotyping is not just limited to others we are stereotypes even within our community i.e jats(as mentioned by Aman Hooda).So i would say its all in ur mind.We all are stereotypes,knowingly or unknowingly,completely or partially.We tend to make image of a community or religion or residents of a particular place on the basis of what we hear from people around us.Though i know its bad on my part to make fun of or crack a joke but i dont think anything of that sort or have such views about them in real.Its not that only we(Jats) do it people from other communities and religion also do the same.I am sure we all know baniyas and other communities and castes do the same about us(Jats).For example they say"jat re jat solah dunni aath" or'Tanne toh jatta aali kardi" and i am sure there will be many more.But i think we shouldn't do it in some public forum or thread which is read by lot of people.Cracking jokes with close friends is o.k but not when we have such platform which would make lot of people notice our words.

It is convenient to compartmentalize people. Many times people don't even know they are stereotyping. Jats also stereotype other jats - delhi walla jat, sonepat walla jat, up jat vs harayan jat vs rajasthan jat. There are all sorts of stereotyping. People are stereoyped on the basis of their occupation, place of origin, caste, gender, race, country of origin etc. Besides Indians, people all around the World do that too. Stereotyping is prevalent in every society. Take the example of Jewish people - in Europe they were restricted from all occupations except money lending. That helped to create the particular stereotype of jews. The only way I see to control stereotyping to interact with people of those communities(not being kuween ka mendak) and make a conscious effort to control it.

devendramalik
March 8th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I would like to strogly recommend here that the words like chamar, chuda etc should not be allowed in this forum.

I believe it is an offense to use these "Jaatisuchak words" like these for those communities. I remember few people got prosecuted in recent past in UP.

My request to all moderators to please dont allow the jokes where there is a mention of these kind of words. Please remove the few recently posted jokes also from the site.

Many people are reading Jatland.com, better to keep this a clean and fair site.

Dev Malik

deepakchoudhry
March 8th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Absolutely correct.I also crack jokes about chudda,chamars sometimes but to be honest i have nothing against them personally.It comes naturally for example if we talk about "Sardars"i know they are really nice people and good at heart but still if someone utters this word"Sardar' we know that the person is going to crack a joke.Sometimes we dont even need to use this word coz' tere baraa baj gaye' is enough to suggest the same.If i crack a joke about them i dont think it makes me a stereotype(may be i am in real).Surprisingly a few of my surd friends laugh if someone cracks jokes about sardars and they dont feel bad at all.Ofcourse this stereotyping is not just limited to others we are stereotypes even within our community i.e jats(as mentioned by Aman Hooda).So i would say its all in ur mind.We all are stereotypes,knowingly or unknowingly,completely or partially.We tend to make image of a community or religion or residents of a particular place on the basis of what we hear from people around us.Though i know its bad on my part to make fun of or crack a joke but i dont think anything of that sort or have such views about them in real.Its not that only we(Jats) do it people from other communities and religion also do the same.I am sure we all know baniyas and other communities and castes do the same about us(Jats).For example they say"jat re jat solah dunni aath" or'Tanne toh jatta aali kardi" and i am sure there will be many more.But i think we shouldn't do it in some public forum or thread which is read by lot of people.Cracking jokes with close friends is o.k but not when we have such platform which would make lot of people notice our words.

Just because everyone is doing it, does it make it right??:)

Among friends it's different situation as one knows the person but how would you feel for e.g. someone makes a racist or sexist joke while you were there as well.

deepika
March 9th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Nopes it doesn't make it right...but the point is what is the harm in cracking jokes when u r in ur comfort zone with your close freinds or relatives.There is nothing bad in that as long as u are not making any insulting remark about them in public and you don't think the same way in real.For example for me cracking joke is o.k but i would hate it to the core if "Shudras' will be treated as untouchable in front me.I will give my piece of mind to such racists who will insult them infront of me(i mean it).I respect every individual as a human being.About racist and sexist jokes i would say it depends on how close your friends are who are cracking such jokes.When one is craking a joke one is doing it just for amusement and doesn't mean it at all in real.

Just because everyone is doing it, does it make it right??:)

Among friends it's different situation as one knows the person but how would you feel for e.g. someone makes a racist or sexist joke while you were there as well.

vijay
March 9th, 2009, 06:46 PM
These terms are definitely offensive and no one should practice them.

Using these terms doesn’t make anyone greater but shows how much respect that person has for the other communities and people. If we want to gain respect from other communities we should deliver the same at first instance. Respecting others doesn’t degrade our personality or status as a human being. The community with a broader and ‘respect for all’ vision always achieve heights of everything while narrow-minded and self proclaimed greats have all the possibilities of touching the bottom.

Before practicing these terms on others just try to be the person who is being targeted and analyze how you feel when some derogatory terms are used against you and your religion, caste etc.

When a hunter becomes haunted?
I saw and watched a few incidents here at Jatland when people use derogatory remarks against other communities and feel proud. But when they come across some derogatory remarks against Jats they feel insulted. Their proud seems at stake. Do they ever think that how others feel when they use such remarks against other people?

Respecting others doesn’t take away anything from you !

HetRam
March 21st, 2009, 02:20 PM
Deepak,You have rightly pointed out about a immature habit ofaddressing the other communities now atleast we should change.We should refrain from making communal remarks