PDA

View Full Version : superstitions followed by political leaders

jitender_singh
March 31st, 2009, 08:32 PM
while surfing a net I got a below article regarding superstitions followed by few of politicians :-

If American President Barack Obama trounced the fiery Hillary Clinton with the help of the Hanuman, an American eagle and a poker chip, our netas too are no less when it comes to trusting lucky mascots for pulling off a poll victory.

For Congress MP Sachin Pilot, his mother is the lucky charm. So strongly does the Young Turk believe that his mother's wishes can help iron out his troubles that he never leaves home without meeting her, especially if he has an important agenda for the day like a political rally. "Sachin prefers to take his mother along everywhere. When it is not possible, he makes it a point to ask for her blessings," said a close associate of the leader, wishing anonymity.

However, Pilot is not alone when it comes to trusting the maternal goodwill. Another Congress MP, Jagdish Tytler, too never leaves home without praying at the photograph of his late mother. "I pray regularly and touch my mother's feet every day. I also believe in the power of Guru Granth Sahib and Maa Vaishno Devi," said Tytler.

Cricketer-turned-politician Chetan Chauhan wears a locket of Goddess Durga around his neck as he considers it to be his lucky charm. "The first thing I do when I wake up is bow at the feet of Goddess Durga. I also believe in the saying that one should never get up from the left side of the bed. I consciously wake up from the right side of my bed," Chauhan said.

Another former cricketer Kirti Azad is a devotee of Sai Baba. He applies a tika of Sai Baba on his forehead for extra luck. "Whenever I visit the Sai Baba ashram at Shirdi, I carry a set of clothes and touch them at the feet of the Lord. I wear the blessed clothes on important days, especially during election campaigns. I also believe that a live fish is a lucky mascot. I see one before stepping out of the house," said Azad.

Congress MP Naveen Jindal believes that the National flag can keep him safe. "The Tricolour gives me courage. A badge of the National flag pinned to my chest is my lucky charm. I can never go out without it. I also wear a wristband in the same shades," said the leader, who is also superstitious about drinking milk before leaving home. "I avoid drinking milk just before stepping out. It's a superstition I have grown up with and can't get rid of," he added.

All Indian Congress Committee secretary and Congress aspirant from West Delhi Alka Lamba believes in the power of a bottle of magical water that she says has not been changed in the last 40 years. "Be it the elections or any other special occasion, I sip from a bottle of water that has been kept in the temple at my home for the last 40 years. We top up the bottle but never drain it empty. I consider it brings me luck," Lamba told MiD DAY.

While Communications and Information Technology Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia claims he is not superstitious, he prays regularly at a temple for good luck. "I am not superstitious. I am a forward thinking person of the 21st century and have studied at Harvard University. But before attending any important occasion I visit a temple built by my father at Gwalior," Scindia said.

Actor-turned-politician Raj Babbar too doesn't believe in lucky charms. But the Congress candidate said that he recites mantras while bathing. "I pray every day. The Almighty has given me life and He will keep me away from trouble," Babbar said.

Another veteran Bollywood actor and the BJP candidate from Patna, Shatrughan Sinha, claims he is not superstitious but gives in to the wishes of his mother and wife. "I see no harm in following rituals if my wife insists. My mother used to feed me five teaspoons of curd. Also, they insist I wear a specific colour on a particular day. So if they ask me to keep a red handkerchief in my pocket on a certain day for luck, I follow their advice. But I will never do something impractical," Sinha said.

Congress MP Sajjan Kumar fasts on Tuesdays.

vaise maien ek cheez dekhi hai , jat log mostly tuesday ka fast jaroor rakhte hain..sab ke sab hanuman bhakt hain..:)

sidchhikara
March 31st, 2009, 08:51 PM
Jitender ... with aadoo janta and nikamma politicians .. they have to rely on magic to get elected.

amans
April 1st, 2009, 03:48 AM
All this dhong to get elected!
Lot of work. One even playing on national sentiment by seeking refuge in Indian flag! what a cunning idea!
One fasting! while reports said he had some part in riots in delhi? Public memory is short.
Actors and cricketers. Cricket! what a useles game. Most of the time standing/sitting! For test match doing this for 5 days! Since last 62 years only a couple of medals in olympics! Nothing much to be proud of for a country of 1.2 billion people.