PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational English Short stories for village children

navingulia
April 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Dear Friends,
We are looking for english short stories in simple english which can be read to village children.
You can post the story here or email it to contact@adaa.in

The target age groups 5-9yrs, 10-13yrs, 14-18yrs
Thanks
Navin

navingulia
April 7th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Please volunteer to make this collection of stories.

ajaylamba
April 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Navin I will be glad to help:), but before that I would like you to elaborate more on the Subject.:o

rocky0036
April 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM
okey whenever i find any short stories i will mail u brother
Dear Friends,
We are looking for english short stories in simple english which can be read to village children.

Thanks
Navin

ajaylamba
April 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM
you can find some short stories on "kidsgen" it is a dot com website..

rashmisingh
April 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
hi, are you looking for fresh stories or translations will do?

navingulia
April 7th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks every one
To elaborate;
1. simple stories which have an element of art, since or inspiration.
2. stories which can help the children get valuable inputs.
3. stories would help them understand and pronounce english better.
4. stories from epics, stories on eminent/successful people and their lives, stories about inventions and discoveries, expeditions, sports, art. Stories with lessons to be learnt.

I am overburdened with other activities and am looking for people/individuals who can take on the task of making a good and sorted collection of stories.

We also need volunteers who can visit village schools and read these stories to the children. Make them speak after you to help them get right pronunciation. Ask them what they learnt from the story. Ask questions or let them ask you too.

Bhai Anil, Where are you??

navingulia
April 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM
hi, are you looking for fresh stories or translations will do?

Any and all stories keeping in mind the children we are addressing

annch
April 7th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hi Navin,
Word limit? Any time frame-by when do you need these stories?
Regards
Anju

Any and all stories keeping in mind the children we are addressing

navingulia
April 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
1. it should be possible to read and discuss the story in a class of 30-45min
2. earlier we do it, the better

ajaylamba
April 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Gulia ji.. I think what you are doing is very good. I would like to help by taking some time out for making a collection of Good Stories...

Also I wud like to know which class children u are targeting.

navingulia
April 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks Ajay,
the target age groups are given

Dear Friends,

Thanks
Navin

ajaylamba
April 7th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Mahatma Gandhi went from city to city, village to village collecting funds for the Charkha Sangh. During one of his tours he addressed a meeting in Orissa. After his speech a poor old woman got up. She was bent with age, her hair was grey and her clothes were in tatters. The volunteers tried to stop her, but she fought her way to the place where Gandhiji was sitting. "I must see him," she insisted and going up to Gandhiji touched his feet. Then from the folds of her sari she brought out a copper coin and placed it at his feet. Gandhiji picked up the copper coin and put it away carefully. The Charkha Sangh funds were under the charge of Jamnalal Bajaj. He asked Gandhiji for the coin but Gandhiji refused. "I keep cheques worth thousands of rupees for the Charkha Sangh," Jamnalal Bajaj said laughingly "yet you won't trust me with a copper coin." "This copper coin is worth much more than those thousands," Gandhiji said. "If a man has several lakhs and he gives away a thousand or two, it doesn't mean much. But this coin was perhaps all that the poor woman possessed. She gave me all she had. That was very generous of her. What a great sacrifice she made. That is why I value this copper coin more than a crore of rupees."

I hope you find this story useful Gulia ji....

ajaylamba
April 8th, 2009, 12:27 AM
A Jat had grown a huge watermelon in his garden. It was the biggest watermelon anybody had ever seen and the Jat was very proud of it.
One day the king of the country who was touring the country in disguise, arrived there and was fascinated by the watermelon.
"Will you give it to me?" he asked the Jat.
"No," said the man.
"Will you sell it to me?" asked the ruler.
"No," said the Jat.
"Then what are you going to do with it?" asked the king.
"I plan to take it to the palace and give it to the king," he said.
"I see," said the king. "But suppose he refuses to accept it?"
"Then he can go to the devil!" snorted the Jat.
A few days later the Jat came to the palace with the watermelon.
He at once recognised the king but gave no sign that he had done so.
"I've brought you a melon, Your Majesty," he said, humbly.
"It's a marvel," said the king. "But suppose I refuse to accept it?"
"Then,sire," said the Jat, timidly,"you already know my answer."

—A folktale from Haryana

chandra16
April 8th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Hello Navin,

Good to see another new initiative for ADAA :). I might be wrong but I have always thought that no doubt stories are a good source for enhancing a child's imagination but an actual incident can still be better. Following is the one incident I have found for ADAA:

A 60-year-old man has appeared for matriculation exams in Bengaluru.Defying age, he pursued his educational career rubbing shoulders with students of his grandchildren's age.

Parasmal Jain had to leave his studies in between on account of some family problems. He has set an example by going back to his studies at an age when elderly people detach themselves from materialistic world.

For this cloth merchant, it was a big decision to pursue studies and realise his childhood desire of completing his education.

"I always wanted to study, but could not complete my education because of some family problems. I got my children educated and when they got settled, then I thought of realizing my dream and decided to pursue my studies further," said Jain.

Jain was supported by his family in his quest for learning and planned to study further till his health permitted.

anilsinghd
April 8th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I remember I did start something on this with Navin , sorry could not do anything substantial ! :(

Well Navin has clarified the idea.

I will add that instead of just the plain words , if you guys can come up with Power point presentations , videos , audios etc on the same thing , it would be great.

I need to start working some time soon. !!!

sannand
April 8th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Navin,

Please check, I 've sent an e-book containing 100 short stories with moral.
Sent on contact@adaa.in as quoted by you.

Let me know for any further assistance.

navingulia
April 8th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Sanjeev ji,
Thanks so much. In one look, from the titles, looks good. let me go over all the stories. i think even elders should read the stories and the morals.
Regards
navin

Navin,

Please check, I 've sent an e-book containing 100 short stories with moral.
Sent on contact@adaa.in as quoted by you.

Let me know for any further assistance.

rajivsp
April 9th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Short stories from our old scriptures are always inspirational.
http://www.vedanta-atlanta.org/stories/index.html

navingulia
April 9th, 2009, 03:34 PM
It is a wonderful link Rajiv Ji, could you get the stories into word/text format.?

Short stories from our old scriptures are always inspirational.
http://www.vedanta-atlanta.org/stories/index.html

rsdalal
April 9th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Navin, Bhai these can be easily converted into PDF, please see the attachment. Let me know if that's what you wanted. I can help you in that.

Rajiv Bhai, Good link for short stories for kids. Thanks.

It is a wonderful link Rajiv Ji, could you get the stories into word/text format.?

ravileo
April 9th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Respected Sir

Short stories is good idea. Please go for the stories of panchtantra written, audio as well as video. They are inspirational, motivational and easy to understand and learn.
Here are few examples of them :

Vedio : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEB5tuEZczg
Written : http://panchatantra.org/

I hope you would like this idea.

Thank You

Ravi

navingulia
April 9th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Ranvir Sir,
Yes, this pdf format is good enough.

navingulia
April 9th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Panchtantra tales lead from one into other without finishing the other one, hence becomes confusing. as a child i found them pretty confusing.

Rmandaura
April 10th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Navin ji, you are doing a great job and get innovative ideas. I do not know whether the bed time stories in Hindi will be useful to you or not. However I am giving the link below, there are more than 200 stories which is a collection of stories podcasted daily by my wife for her grandchildren. The story can be downloaded instantly to iPod and in itunes also. May be these can be useful to the members for their kids.

http://kahani.mypodcast.com/

rajivsp
April 12th, 2009, 05:01 AM

Hi Navin

I have just mailed all stories in doc/pdf format to contact@adaa.in . Please have a look.

Some suggestions for ADAA site
1. Start accepting Donation online. Its very simple with http://paypal.com
2. Ask there to donate old Laptops, Computers, even old cars also. In long term if there are many these items there is possibility to start a workshop. Who knows that workshop will produce many Thomas Alva Edition or Fords apart from providing education to Children with the help of ICT. It will be more effective.
3. Allow me to add adaa link on my site infobizz.in as I am getting good traffic on my site from all over the world. It can be diverted to adaa.in

regards
rajiv

navingulia
April 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks Rajiv Ji, Thats wonderful!
yes, you can add adaa link to your website. The only thing is that adaa cannot accept foreign currency donations as of now. thats why we cannot have online donations.
second hand computers and laptops, learning toys, clothes, are welcome anytime (we have been collecting) but keeping in mind that collecting them or sending them shouldnt cost more than the actual cost.
Thanks so much for the stories. Please consider yourself a part of adaa family.
Regards
Navin

Hi Navin

I have just mailed all stories in doc/pdf format to contact@adaa.in . Please have a look.

Some suggestions for ADAA site
1. Start accepting Donation online. Its very simple with http://paypal.com
2. Ask there to donate old Laptops, Computers, even old cars also. In long term if there are many these items there is possibility to start a workshop. Who knows that workshop will produce many Thomas Alva Edition or Fords apart from providing education to Children with the help of ICT. It will be more effective.
3. Allow me to add adaa link on my site infobizz.in as I am getting good traffic on my site from all over the world. It can be diverted to adaa.in

regards
rajiv

navingulia
April 12th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Dear Ranjit Sir,
Thanks so much. The link is wonderful.
In fact all jalanders can use these stories for their kids.
Regards
navin gulia

Navin ji, you are doing a great job and get innovative ideas. I do not know whether the bed time stories in Hindi will be useful to you or not. However I am giving the link below, there are more than 200 stories which is a collection of stories podcasted daily by my wife for her grandchildren. The story can be downloaded instantly to iPod and in itunes also. May be these can be useful to the members for their kids.

http://kahani.mypodcast.com/

rajivsp
April 12th, 2009, 10:41 PM
adaa cannot accept foreign currency donations as of now. thats why we cannot have online donations.

There might be some legal issues, but if you have paypal account and paypal donation button on your site, you could start getting money immediately from all over the world. And all money will be in your paypal account. After resolving legal issues regarding foreign currencies, you can withdraw this amount in any bank in India and if amount is more than 7000 Rs. then there is transaction fee. ( so the whole process is free)

ISTeotia9
May 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Navin ji, this story is from panchatantra, let me know if u want such stories:

Turtle and Swans

Once upon a time a turtle called Kambugriva lived in a pond. He had two swans, Sankat and Vikat, as good friends. Every day they would meet on the rim of the pond and discuss legends of yore. They would disperse with sunset. That year there were no rains and the water in the pond began slowly disappearing.
Worried, the swans told the turtle, “Friend, What will happen to you? We are concerned.”
“I appreciate your interest in me. There is trouble ahead. Please find a way out of this crisis. But it is important that we should not give in to despair. According to Manu, all good men should come to the rescue of friends and relatives in times of need. Look for a stick or a rope. I will hang on to it as both of you hold the two sides of the stick or rope and ferry me to safety.”
“We shall do as you say,” the swans said. “But you have to shut your mouth. Otherwise, you will crash to the ground.”
On Kambugriva agreeing to the plan, the swans brought a stick and asked the turtle to hold it with his teeth. When everything was ready, the swans flew off with the turtle hanging from it. On the way people saw this sight and exclaimed, “see, how clever the birds are.” In trying to respond to the people, the turtle opened his mouth and fell to the ground and the people at once killed him. “The lesson is that those who do not heed the advice of their well-wishers meet their end like the turtle. Any day, the survivors are those who foresee a danger in time and those who deal with it when it comes. Those who leave things to fate and believe in luck will destroy themselves.

navingulia
May 13th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Ofcourse Indu Ji, You can email the stories at contact@adaa.in