PDA

View Full Version : vitamins and supplements

ritu
April 29th, 2009, 06:02 AM
i was wondering how safe are the vitamins and supplements.......do they really help or harm us.i was curious particularly about the b complex.bcoz in india ppl sometimes take their injections also espply b12.does it really help?

poonam
April 29th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Should be fine as long as you dont overdose it.

rocky0036
April 29th, 2009, 09:58 AM
i was wondering how safe are the vitamins and supplements.......do they really help or harm us.i was curious particularly about the b complex.bcoz in india ppl sometimes take their injections also espply b12.does it really help?
We can easliy get vitamins and supplements in market and medical store
there are many supplements and vitamins.but after using these things
your wight also gain......so please aap ek kaam karo
in sab ko use karni ke bajye aap oranges,apply lo
green vegetable

or haan dont take fast food
m sure u will feel better

arvindsinghrot
May 5th, 2009, 03:14 AM

Ritu ji agar body inki habitual ho gayee to bina liye bahut week feel karooge..... If possible and as said by malik ji.... start green vegetables/fruits and sprouts in daily meals.....

Agar weekness bimaari ki ho to lene main koi buraai nahi hai.....

ritu
May 5th, 2009, 03:25 AM
i agree with poonam..short term supplemenatition is help full.arvind you are rt as well.thanks to u all
Ritu ji agar body inki habitual ho gayee to bina liye bahut week feel karooge..... If possible and as said by malik ji.... start green vegetables/fruits and sprouts in daily meals.....

Agar weekness bimaari ki ho to lene main koi buraai nahi hai.....

dsdhanda
May 6th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I don't see any problem in taking Vitamin supplements especially but when picking the vitamins be sure to check the label as of the % recommended daily allowance (RDA) of vitamin A, D, E, and K. These vitamins if taken more than 100 % RDA for prolonged periods can be harmful (toxic).

As far as vitamin C and any of the B vitamins are concerned they should not be any problem coz they are flushed out of your system within short time period and toxicity is not a problem as long as you don't take way too much then recommended.

Be very very careful as far as other "herbal" supplements, as some of these can be harmful if taken regularly. I would say stay away from anything that you have nor heard off in India. One example I would like to quote here, many of us who stay in USA have heard of HYDROXYCUT (slimming supplement), recently only this product was banned in US for causing a few deaths because of heart failures and liver toxicity.

Hope this information helps,

ritu
May 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM
thanks dev ji
I don't see any problem in taking Vitamin supplements especially but when picking the vitamins be sure to check the label as of the % recommended daily allowance (RDA) of vitamin A, D, E, and K. These vitamins if taken more than 100 % RDA for prolonged periods can be harmful (toxic).

As far as vitamin C and any of the B vitamins are concerned they should not be any problem coz they are flushed out of your system within short time period and toxicity is not a problem as long as you don't take way too much then recommended.

Be very very careful as far as other "herbal" supplements, as some of these can be harmful if taken regularly. I would say stay away from anything that you have nor heard off in India. One example I would like to quote here, many of us who stay in USA have heard of HYDROXYCUT (slimming supplement), recently only this product was banned in US for causing a few deaths because of heart failures and liver toxicity.

Hope this information helps,

ISTeotia9
May 12th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Dear Ritu,

I thnk that before opting for any vitamins evrybdy shuld get dere normal path tests done atleast blood, as this gives the fair picture of our body needs & then as per dat (& if possible take guidance from some professional) decide what all supplements your body need. And in todays world where we have such a tight life schedule we should never forget to take proper breakfast (generally people have tendency to skip breakfast)

But please take note of following few points as well about diet supplements or vitamin supplements:

A shortcut to health

That we need vitamins is not in dispute. But some people think that if you take vitamin pills by the handful, you don’t have to bother watching what you eat. It is easy to see the attraction of an approach whereby you can exist on junk food, have a terrible lifestyle and still be 'healthy'.

Other people take a less extreme view and try their best to follow the prevailing health advice. They recognise that they will fall short of the ideal and take vitamins as a kind of insurance policy.

Many studies have since shown that vitamins from supplements do not act on the body in the same way as vitamins from foods.

A good diet is best
Dietitians, nutritionists and other experts are all agreed that apart from small groups of people in special medical circumstances, most of us don't need to take vitamins or food supplements. We can get what we need from a balanced diet.
One of the most important pieces of advice i can give is to increase your fruit and vegetable consumption. These are the foods that are nutrient rich, vitamin rich and mineral rich. Current advice is to try to have five portions per day. This is quite a tall order and many people don’t even have half the recommended quantity.

It has been discovered that these foods contain far more than the classic vitamins and minerals we all know about. They contain many other plant substances, known as phytochemicals, which can’t be put in a bottle or made into a pill.’

It's the food, not the pill, that is potent

When to pop the pills

The following groups of people may need to take vitamin supplements.

Women who are planning to get pregnant or have just become pregnant should take a daily supplement.

Women who cover up in black robes and have only a limited exposure to sunlight may lack vitamin D, which could be taken in supplement form. This could also apply to housebound people.

Vegans who never eat meat or dairy products may need to take vitamin B12 in tablet form.

People who are malnourished: this may be because they have been ill, or have difficulty eating or swallowing for medical reasons. It can include people who have been on a weight-loss diet. Slimmers should think of eating more fruit and vegetables to avoid possible vitamin deficiencies.

People who are doing intense training for sport.

I hope this information will you help u!!!!!

bhonindra4
May 12th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Yes, That's pretty much dead-on. Thanks a lot.

Dear Ritu,

I thnk that before opting for any vitamins evrybdy shuld get dere normal path tests done atleast blood, as this gives the fair picture of our body needs & then as per dat (& if possible take guidance from some professional) decide what all supplements your body need. And in todays world where we have such a tight life schedule we should never forget to take proper breakfast (generally people have tendency to skip breakfast)

But please take note of following few points as well about diet supplements or vitamin supplements:

A shortcut to health

That we need vitamins is not in dispute. But some people think that if you take vitamin pills by the handful, you don’t have to bother watching what you eat. It is easy to see the attraction of an approach whereby you can exist on junk food, have a terrible lifestyle and still be 'healthy'.

Other people take a less extreme view and try their best to follow the prevailing health advice. They recognise that they will fall short of the ideal and take vitamins as a kind of insurance policy.

Many studies have since shown that vitamins from supplements do not act on the body in the same way as vitamins from foods.

A good diet is best
Dietitians, nutritionists and other experts are all agreed that apart from small groups of people in special medical circumstances, most of us don't need to take vitamins or food supplements. We can get what we need from a balanced diet.
One of the most important pieces of advice i can give is to increase your fruit and vegetable consumption. These are the foods that are nutrient rich, vitamin rich and mineral rich. Current advice is to try to have five portions per day. This is quite a tall order and many people don’t even have half the recommended quantity.

It has been discovered that these foods contain far more than the classic vitamins and minerals we all know about. They contain many other plant substances, known as phytochemicals, which can’t be put in a bottle or made into a pill.’

When to pop the pills

Women who are planning to get pregnant or have just become pregnant should take a daily supplement.

Women who cover up in black robes and have only a limited exposure to sunlight may lack vitamin D, which could be taken in supplement form. This could also apply to housebound people.

Vegans who never eat meat or dairy products may need to take vitamin B12 in tablet form.

People who are malnourished: this may be because they have been ill, or have difficulty eating or swallowing for medical reasons. It can include people who have been on a weight-loss diet. Slimmers should think of eating more fruit and vegetables to avoid possible vitamin deficiencies.

ritu
May 12th, 2009, 03:18 PM
thanku so much...indu
Dear Ritu,

A shortcut to health

A good diet is best

When to pop the pills

ajit2009
May 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM

hindustan ............hindustan hi hai.............here life is struggleful but health goes easy................
...............................................yeh i hai apna desh