PDA

View Full Version : A soldiers Journey and my new book

bls31
May 13th, 2009, 07:22 AM
'My new book' published under the title 'A Soldiers Journey in Life with Two Wives' had evoked lot of interest in a large no of Friends of Jat land who had also expressed a desire to read the book once published . The book is available in various libraries like The Delhi Gymkhana , JVCC NOIDA, Golf Club Noida, USI New Delhi. However, for the benifit those who wish to have a personal copy, the book priced at Rs 450 / $ 11 is offered at a discounted price of Rs 350, post paid.
With best wishes and happy reading.
Brig Lakshman Singh VSM (Retd)

jitendershooda
May 13th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks BLS ji for sharing.

Fateh
May 13th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Sir,
Thanks for the info.
Regards

bls31
June 23rd, 2010, 06:57 AM
“A Soldier's Journey Through Life With Two Wives”

BOOK REVIEW

by

Major O A Pereira

“A Soldier’s Journey through Life with Two Wives” by Brigadier Lakshman Singh VSM (Retd) (NOIDA : BLS Publishers, 2009) pp..306, Rs. 450, ISBN 978-81-901855-1-6.

This is a largely factual story, mostly autobiographical, written in the author’s endearingly open, honest and frank style. He comes across as a superb – and fearless – raconteur!
While the book could have done with some serious proof-reading and grammatical reconstruction, nothing can detract from the fact that the story itself emanates straight from the heart and is laid out without any undue camouflage or prevarication! It is a gripping account of a soldier’s life, in peacetime and in war – a very touching story indeed!
It depicts, vividly, the searing tensions that invariably exist between soldiers and their families due the prolonged periods of separation, brought on by the operational demands of the Army. While it is set in the Indian context, it could well apply to any country with long and difficult borders to defend.
The author has a uniquely special flair for bringing to life, as it were, the situations he describes. From the very outset, the reader is drawn into the story, experiencing all the emotions the author feels as he lays bare his soul! He does this not only with regard to his professional experiences but also with his personal feelings for the wife to whom he was so devoted – and to whom his devotion remains undimmed, a full decade after she had succumbed to cancer!
One’s heart goes out to him as he struggles to live with and reconcile the impossibly divided loyalties with which he has to contend right through his life.
This book would be a thrilling revelation to those in civilian life who have not had any contact with personnel in the Armed Forces.
I commend this book to readers of all categories, whether in the Forces or elsewhere, in service or retired, young or old, male or female – it is indeed a very captivating story! It will move you to tears – as it did in my case!

Major O A Pereira
20th June 2010

cooljat
June 24th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Quite an honest review, I almost felt like same when I gone thro' the book. Its deep touching and eye-moistening autobiography of a True Soldier. I highly recommend this book to everyone here on JL, take my word it'll surely become one of your all time fav.

I'm planing to read it again in a day or two, Thanks a lot uncle for sharing the review.

Cheers
Jit

“A Soldier's Journey Through Life With Two Wives”

BOOK REVIEW

by

Major O A Pereira

“A Soldier’s Journey through Life with Two Wives” by Brigadier Lakshman Singh VSM (Retd) (NOIDA : BLS Publishers, 2009) pp..306, Rs. 450, ISBN 978-81-901855-1-6.

This is a largely factual story, mostly autobiographical, written in the author’s endearingly open, honest and frank style. He comes across as a superb – and fearless – raconteur!
While the book could have done with some serious proof-reading and grammatical reconstruction, nothing can detract from the fact that the story itself emanates straight from the heart and is laid out without any undue camouflage or prevarication! It is a gripping account of a soldier’s life, in peacetime and in war – a very touching story indeed!
It depicts, vividly, the searing tensions that invariably exist between soldiers and their families due the prolonged periods of separation, brought on by the operational demands of the Army. While it is set in the Indian context, it could well apply to any country with long and difficult borders to defend.
The author has a uniquely special flair for bringing to life, as it were, the situations he describes. From the very outset, the reader is drawn into the story, experiencing all the emotions the author feels as he lays bare his soul! He does this not only with regard to his professional experiences but also with his personal feelings for the wife to whom he was so devoted – and to whom his devotion remains undimmed, a full decade after she had succumbed to cancer!
One’s heart goes out to him as he struggles to live with and reconcile the impossibly divided loyalties with which he has to contend right through his life.
This book would be a thrilling revelation to those in civilian life who have not had any contact with personnel in the Armed Forces.
I commend this book to readers of all categories, whether in the Forces or elsewhere, in service or retired, young or old, male or female – it is indeed a very captivating story! It will move you to tears – as it did in my case!

Major O A Pereira
20th June 2010

bls31
June 25th, 2010, 06:47 AM
BOOK REVIEW
A Soldier’s Journey through Life with Two Wives. By Brigadier Lakshman Singh VSM (Retd) (NOIDA : BLS Publishers, 2009) pp..306, Rs. 450, ISBN 978-81-901855-1-6.

It is difficult to classify this book – it is neither a love story, nor an autobiography, nor an historical saga, nor a personal narrative. Perhaps, it is a combination of all these and more. In spite of the suggestive title, the story is really the tale of a man torn between his two loves – his wife and his calling. It is a dilemma faced not only by soldiers but also many others who are wedded to their careers, some even more demanding than the profession of arms. It is not easy to achieve synergy between the demands of one’s family and his career, a point the author has highlighted in his narrative.
Written in an earthy style, the book traces the story of a young boy born in a middle class family in Western Uttar Pradesh, his early education, graduation from college and university, training at the Indian Military Academy, service in various units and training establishments, stints in the DRDO and RAW, retirement from the Army and life thereafter. There are vignettes of village life, ‘boot camp’ during cadet training, the first experience of battle during 1962, and the slow but steady rise up the ladder in the military hierarchy. To keep the reader’s interest alive, the narrative is peppered with personal anecdotes. It is also a poignant story of two people deeply in love - the author and his wife Rosie, also called Jeet. Starting from their courtship and marriage, the book takes us through their intimate moments, separations, reunions, tribulations, the pain suffered by both in her fight with cancer, and her death in his arms.
Though it is a commonplace tale of an ordinary person, there are a few things that make it extraordinary. The book gives an insight into the challenges faced by a military leader, the strong bonds between an officer and his men and the loyalty and dedication of the Indian Jawan in the face of adversity.
The only jarring note is the quality of proof reading. One wishes the author had employed a good editor to polish the draft. This would have avoided the large number of grammatical mistakes and mis-spelt words, which detract from the readability of the book. Notwithstanding this flaw, the book will interest both soldiers and civilians, and will be a valuable addition to libraries as well as personal collections.

Maj Gen VK Singh

bls31
June 25th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Comments, on some of the excerpts posts, from the Internet

!

thanks …for sharing the excerpts from ur book.
pyar anant aseem hota hai suna tha par jindagi me pahli baaar sach me dekha hai.umar ke is padav par saathi ke jaane ke bad ke khalipan ko aapne jis bhavna ke saath ateet ki yaado ke taane baane ke sath apni rachna me buna hai ose pad kar man bhav vibhor ho uttha.

RITU TOMAR

After going through all these mails about the book …all i can say is I enjoyed reading it and i am really excited to be a part of this journey. Looking forward for the published version. Wishing you all the very best.

Dr Shashi Verma

Congratulations on taking another brave step (well, getting involved with your first and only mistress- Indian Army, of course being the other) by deciding to pen down your life and experiences!!!...
… Being the son of an Army Colonel (Late Col. Rajendra Singhji of the 4 Jats regiment) and having enjoyed a joyous childhood living in the awesome army campus Cantonments where ever he was posted...I feel part of the culture and am enjoying the excerpts very much….
A book like this always intrigues the reader about the author and even about some of the associated names, incidents and events in there (or simply the ambiance of those times and places).... therefore I would greatly suggest that you should plan to take some time and rife thru all the wonderful Black and white pictures you must have clicked, archived,…

Shallandra Singh Hooda
You have written it superbly ... words stringed into sentences with so much of feeling involved that while I was reading your extracts ... I was feeling like it was before my eyes and I am with you at that moment ... you have poured all your feelings in such a way that its just like illustrative ..... and for the part of her departure my eyes gone wet with the feel of it only ... this is the inevitable truth and we all have to accept it ...

Sure sir ... please post few more ... and surely will read this one when published. ... Dont feel that who will read it .... you have done a great job
JITENDER SINGH HOODA
Many congratulations for your new book, look forward to read it soon….
Dharampal Singh Dudee

I have gone through the chapter, it has come out nicely.Actually at that point in time, I had not realised your problems and were happy to do our own work. You had really insulated us from the environment so that we could work, teach and carry out our part without any hassels.
With best regards
Pande

bls31
June 25th, 2010, 03:38 PM
VIEWS AND REVIEWS

Lt Gen P Mohapatra
It is a commendable effort to compile a long Journey in life in such a concise manner …. am sure that this book will be as well received as the earlier one ”Letters from the Border and Other Less Told Stories.” 14 Jan 2009

Lt Gen Sree K umar
… A commendable effort…. The book though targeted at the general reader would be of equal interest to service officers especially the Signallers. 15 February 2008

Maj Gen Nanden Pande
I have gone through the chapter, it has come out nicely. Actually at that point in time, I had not realised your problems and were happy to do our own work. You had really insulated us from the environment so that we could work, teach and carry out our part without any hassles. - The then Capt Pande the staff officer.

Lt Col Gautam Mahajan
I am indeed thankful to you and the SO-in- C for an opportunity to read your book….
….Your friends who forced you to write this book also need to be thanked, lest an apt tribute to Mrs Lakshman Singh and a good reading for us in uniform would have been missed. The book has also a lot of lessons for young officers and young brides…. For Signal Officers, it is a must read book….

H. O. Agarwal (Council member IETE and former Chief engineer of A.I.R. & Doordarshan)
In ‘A Soldiers Journey through life’ the author’s biography, he has expressed his feelings from the heart and how he maintained the act between his career in the Army and his responsibilities to his dear wife children and the family. His description of the Sino –Indian conflict of 1962.which he had witnessed from close quarters, takes the readers to live scenes of the losing war and difficulties faced by our Army Personnel. The book revels much more than written