PDA

View Full Version : Importance of English/communication to succeed in today's world?

dkumars
June 22nd, 2009, 12:57 AM
English is a global language today. It is very common almost in every country. In India also if new generation is taught Hindi- I still doubt - but English is taught in every private school. It surprises me when I see kids talking in English fluently but they dont know even a few words of their native languages.

Can we not succeed without this language in our career? Or till what extent is it necessary? Or Has it become a status symbol?

Is English just a tool to communicate or more than that?

rajivsp
June 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
Can we not succeed without this language in our career?

If career is just getting a good job with a handsome salary in a MNC then without English its difficult but not impossible.

But if a career is to become like DheeruBai Ambani then no language is important......but mother tongue only.......... we breath, we think, we live, we die we do everything in our mother tongue only....... If India has to become world power, India has to grow technologically, India has to grow Its very very imprtant that we must encourage our mother tongue then International language ENGLISH. Learning more than one language is always better.

akshaymalik84
June 22nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
English is a global language today. It is very common almost in every country. In India also if new generation is taught Hindi- I still doubt - but English is taught in every private school. It surprises me when I see kids talking in English fluently but they dont know even a few words of their native languages.

Can we not succeed without this language in our career? Or till what extent is it necessary? Or Has it become a status symbol?

Just to add, Hindi is mandatory subject upto 8th standard in CBSE board while English goes upto 12th standard. You are right in saying that Today's kids speak english more fluently than most of us. And when it comes to hindi they collapse.

It is very difficult to succeed in your career without english because almost every course whether its Engg., Doctorate,CA, MBA etc. are tought in English today. Talking about status symbol,yes some people do prefer English, but i disagree on this.

dkumars
June 22nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
What is others say on this ???

deepika
June 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Blame it on parents and not kids...i know lot of people who are convent educated but still speak hindi or haryanvi at home....some people want their kids to speak english and not their own language...its a shame that they don't let their kids know their roots and to be a part of their roots.... moreover there's notihng bad in learing english as it helps only....and why should not we learn this language?just because its not our national language....dont forget that we need to communicate with rest of the world for not only our development but the whole country's development...So my point is any language which can help one to communicate with other is not bad...we should respect all of them but on the same time we should respect our own language first.

rajivsp
June 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Blame it on parents and not kids...

Correct I met many people say very proudly that their kids can not speak their mother tongue.

ajaysinghkundu
June 22nd, 2009, 06:49 PM
I believe we should have good command on our mother tongue, national langauge and the International langauge.

Hindi should be developed within the nation as the most used language. After all it is the national language!! See people like Chinese and Japanese......... who are not behind any other developed nation but not fully dependent on an International language alone.

On other hand, I am not against learning and using English as a language as it is the most widely accepted language in the world.

Its not the matter of what language you speak but what you understand.. Since English is accepted worldwide, there is no harm using it as the whole world is our home......We as human beings can naturally survive on any place on this earth.

But we should respect our mother tongue and the National language as well so that we do not go far away from the roots where we come from :)

Languages are globalizing too..... You can find a number of words in an English dictionary that have been adapted directly from Hindi...

Its not wise thought to use only one language entirely....... but to have knowledge of more than one languages and use them as needed.

aryasatyadev
June 23rd, 2009, 03:05 AM
In my openion english is required to be learnt at school level, and as Deepika has stated, it is the fault of the parents who desperatly want their childern to learn this language as soon and as much as possible. Akshay has said that English is being taught upto 12th std, and Hindi upto 8th. In this regard it should be clear to verybody that all the subjects whether science or commerce or law are in English and hence it is required till 12th.

Secondly, why we are not emphasising on learning any other language of India.... whether that will not broaden our horizan..... I am at such a place where I used to communicate with the people of many countries and the people here are speaking more than 12 languages among them but most spoken language is 'French'. When I say to somebody that in our country we have 22 official language and I even don't understand the language of some of my compatriate..... they laugh and say "but your english is good, why don't you know the language of your own land when you can understand and speak the language of another continent"???????
Any answer???

deepakchoudhry
June 25th, 2009, 01:27 PM

There was time when Sanskrit was language of the Knowledge then came Arabic and now English.

At the height of the Islamic Renaissance, Arabs led in education and technology and rest of the world had to learn Arabic to understand it.

Its no different now, Today English has become the language of the world, It is a fact if you cannot successed internationally without knowing English language.

But I think what you are talking about is Self Complex (Heen Bhavna), quite a lot of it is colonial baggage, which we are still carrying.

It is just a phase and it will pass.

Japan went through the same transition after world war 2, awareness and confidence will eventually sort this complex out. It is just a matter of time.

Nishantrathi82
June 25th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Now a days yes English is one of commonly used language in any kind of job or business.
Even you can see students after doing 12th itself they start working in BPO's because of English.
It is a commonly used communication tool and surely support your job.

If career is just getting a good job with a handsome salary in a MNC then without English its difficult but not impossible.

But if a career is to become like DheeruBai Ambani then no language is important......but mother tongue only.......... we breath, we think, we live, we die we do everything in our mother tongue only....... If India has to become world power, India has to grow technologically, India has to grow Its very very imprtant that we must encourage our mother tongue then International language ENGLISH. Learning more than one language is always better.

Yes learning more than 1 language is always better but still we can't deny the use of English. And about Dheerubai Ambani its was long time back when english was not the priority and now a days also if want to give some examples like Dheerubai ambani they will be very few you can count them on fingures.
No doubt English plays a important role in career but one must know his mother tounge and knowledge of addtional language is always a added advantage.

anilsinghd
June 25th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Variety is the spice of life ... No harm in having English knowledge with you , but then one must be comfortable with native toungue as well.

I pride my hold on Hindi as well ( infact loved Hindi as a language in school ) , also can speak good haryanvi , and then equally good in english now.

Nothing is indispensible , nothing is sacroscant!

Very nice to see people like Virender Narwal ji and Dayanand Deswal ji to write in Hindi , I try to do the same but for the lack of time! :)

dndeswal
June 26th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Variety is the spice of life ... No harm in having English knowledge with you , but then one must be comfortable with native toungue as well.

Nothing is indispensible , nothing is sacroscant!

Exactly. The West seems to have a conspiracy to eradicate Asian languages through mass electronic media. They have already succeeded in lowering the influence of Hindi in Suriname and Trinidad. China is very cautious in this regard, India is not. We should remain alert.

Read an interesting article on this subject:

http://www.abhivyakti-hindi.org/snibandh/drishtikone/2007/hindi.htm