PDA

View Full Version : Genetically modified Crops - What is the reality?

jitendershooda
October 21st, 2009, 01:24 PM
These days one word 'GM - Genetic Modified' is in news. This is regarding Genetically midified crops. We have Bt - cotton as genetically modified approved crop in India and heard/read about a lot of negatives of the same. Also some say it increased the yield many a times.

Now they are doing it for Brinjal
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/govt-panel-clears-bt-brinjal-for-entry-as-first-gm-food/529241/

"When the Bt protein is engineered into a plant, that plant produces the toxin internally in grain and other plant tissue."

"Genetic-modification technologies just treat the symptoms rather than dealing with the causes" - Hans Herren

In india it is recognised and you know the situation here. I suspect if they have gone into some kind of deep study for the same.

What do you think - Are these GM crops safe? If not then what are the issues with them and drawbacks.

or

It is just another arrow of govt. backed big giants to fool the farmers around and take away lots of money out of indian markets. Like they did during green revolution .... fertilizer companies, pesticides etc. Last year itself the fertiliser subsidy was 1.2 lakh crores, next only to defence expenditure.

shekharjat
October 21st, 2009, 10:39 PM
gm is technology to produce new organism by using genes of unrelated organism.
one crop gene which hold resistance towards some dieases can be genetically modified with crossbreading with the gene of crop which has high productivity.

effect of gm foods can be only obsevered in long run as modifies gene can lead to production of toxic protein in the body.

interestingly on greenpeace/india you can get lots of information on gm food as their is drive going on agianst gm food in india recently due to efforts of the climate cruisadors on green peace nestle agreed not to introduce gm food in india which is already not allowed in european union countries.

i think all multination think india as a sample country to start with any risky project as they can easily bribe corrupt officials and ministers and play their game bt time hv changed. aware people from every walk of life now are concerned about these ill practices and we all can help in stopping this.

just by doing a bit we can save our planet by going on greenpeace/india and make our opinion heard.

ye sabb to thik hai par ek aur gm sankat hai wo hai jat samj ke geneticmodification ka ....................... i think this is most dangerous .beware all jat hunks punjabans are waiting for u to make u their prey

richi
November 4th, 2009, 10:40 AM
hahah absolutely absolutely shekhar ..the most vulnerable of the most imperfect modifications is the possibility of falling prey to paanch aaib wali punjabans !!!!!:)

i dont have much idea abt crop genetic modification but it's a topic of interest and i have read in many journals that genetically modified crops are toxic to human DNA to some extent.. ..

ye sabb to thik hai par ek aur gm sankat hai wo hai jat samj ke geneticmodification ka ....................... i think this is most dangerous .beware all jat hunks punjabans are waiting for u to make u their prey[/QUOTE]