PDA

View Full Version : Politicians and Sports

akshaymalik84
November 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
I have often wondered why politicians are so keen to be on top of many sports bodies. Here are some of politicians who head, or have headed, various sporting organistions in the country.

Cricket: Sharad Pawar

Indian Olympic Association: Suresh Kalmadi

Archery: V K Malhotra

Boxing: Abhay Singh Chautala

Women’s hockey: Vidya Stokes

Rifle: Digvijay Singh

Rowing: K P Singh Deo

Table tennis: Ajay Singh Chautala

Tennis: Yashwant Sinha

Football: Praful Patel

We all know the state of every sport in India. Leave cricket and we are left with nothing to show on Interntional level. Cricket is in good position because of its popularity, money and media involvement. But it is still influenced by the politicians. Looking at the poor situation of other sports, what do you guys think, who are responsible for this?

I mean these politicians are heading most of the sports organistions. They even dont have time for their own constituencies, what can they do good for sports.We send huge delegations to games such as the Asian, World, Olympics, Commonwealth and this and that. And most of the times the number of officials often exceeds the number of athletes. The government doles out funds for the betterment of sports, and when the national teams are selected, there is supposedly a decent budget for their training, diet, coaching, overseas travels to participate in series, tournaments and games where these events are included. But do sportsmen actually get these facilities? I know not!