PDA

View Full Version : women in corporate

anusha
December 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
The culture of women working in corporates is very predominant these days.After being well educated,with hard earned degrees,it is very justified to dream of building your career in this walk.But where the personal liabilities give a call,woman has to sacrifice her career because ultimately she has to settle down the household.However co operative the husband is,moving hand in hand is far away from his thought.Ultimately either she is over burdened or the family life suffers.And even if she wants to let the career at stake,her efforts,her dreams,the stage of carrer building at what she is and money and time spent by her parents binds her.So how can it be managed ,I mean leaving all family responsibilities on maids which is again an upcoming trend or encourage the girls to go in light professions like teaching?Or should the early times be brought back like not letting the girls to be more than graduates so that she is prepared not to dream that high.

rajkphogat
December 4th, 2009, 05:02 PM
The culture of women working in corporates is very predominant these days.After being well educated,with hard earned degrees,it is very more than graduates so that she is prepared not to dream that high.

I think here we should discuss about Jaat Womens in corporates, I hav not seen anyone. I think Jaat girls prefer teaching or nursing as favourite carrer option or Govt service but in corporates not a single one i hv seen.

skarmveer
December 4th, 2009, 05:24 PM
You look at lady like Chanda Kocher (MD ICICI BANK)and so maney others those doing well in corporate sector and enjoying family life also. they are very much satisfied with both the responsiblities only because of right decision taken at apropriate time. So nothing is immposible.

The culture of women working in corporates is very predominant these days.After being well educated,with hard earned degrees,it is very justified to dream of building your career in this walk.But where the personal liabilities give a call,woman has to sacrifice her career because ultimately she has to settle down the household.However co operative the husband is,moving hand in hand is far away from his thought.Ultimately either she is over burdened or the family life suffers.And even if she wants to let the career at stake,her efforts,her dreams,the stage of carrer building at what she is and money and time spent by her parents binds her.So how can it be managed ,I mean leaving all family responsibilities on maids which is again an upcoming trend or encourage the girls to go in light professions like teaching?Or should the early times be brought back like not letting the girls to be more than graduates so that she is prepared not to dream that high.

anilsangwan
December 4th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I think here we should discuss about Jaat Womens in corporates, I hav not seen anyone. I think Jaat girls prefer teaching or nursing as favourite carrer option or Govt service but in corporates not a single one i hv seen.

Bhai Jatni er Nurse.... kasoota bhoonda combination ho s..... je mood kharaab ho mari-matti ka............ to SUWAA issa ropp diya kare.... ek 1 mahine kullla dookhey maanas kaa...langdda ke chaale aadmi..... :rock :rock :rock

Samarkadian
December 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM

I would vote for the party who would include this 'bringing-back good old times' in its manifesto. But is it possible or just a casual rant?

Anyways, career is A part of life be it man or women, not the whole centre of life. Everything has its significance. But tell me about any kind freedom which does not come with the slightest of boundary? It is not about lightness or hardness of profession a women chooses, its the motivation and dedication she wants to put through. Minimum thing you need to be a mathematician or anything in question, is pen and paper not the heap of complains from society.

What you think and seen is not a fact Raj. Go around in Delhi and re-think. Secondaly, whats wrong in Govt. sector? Nothing.

skarmveer
December 4th, 2009, 05:32 PM
JL mein hee bahut see members hai jo senior positions per hai. Dont under estimate Jat womens they are in every field with good reputation.

deepshi
December 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM
may be m old-school..but she has to set her priorities right..
koi jhandaa uthaa k nahi chalna..if u feel happy cooking in the kitchen..that smile on his face n the contention.
so she has to decide wot make her feel happy..goin out with him, partying, assimilating in the world, his world..
so its subjective..u may find happiness in slightest things..things that u usually take for granted..maybe watching Simpsons together or chuckin a Sick leave together on the same day lolz..there are so many...

Reckon wotever the award or medals are..its immaterial
Could never relate to this feminist crap..insecure ladies are feminists
u shud KNOW wot u want

yudhvirmor
December 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hi Anusha,
I am not sure whether you are married or single. Marriage is an institution where both have to raise their concerns and It is a test of your negotiation skills. Negotiate it hard and commit to what comes in you share.
I agree that woman has to face more challenges when it comes to raising kids. Couple of things are decided by Nature(Sorry but Man can't give deliver child so they don't need to go through the 9 month cycle). Trends are changing and I found that kids of working parents are more smart than other kids..
so when it comes to making compromise on career, Its an individual choice. I strongly feel that majority of women in India are still not confident in raising their concerns because they have been brought up the env. where they have seen women doing compromises everyday.

deepshi
December 4th, 2009, 05:51 PM
And then there is nature..different set of minds,hormones and bodies..u can never compete with a man..neither can he give birth to a life
so different roles..but I think women in today's world are deluded and in denial

wonder why there was so much fuss over that man who recently said ladies joining airforce/fighter pilots have to make it sure andsign on a written agreement they dont start a family and apply for maternity leave..its quite practical..
n then he was condemned badly n harshly..poor guy had to take his words back

rekharathee
December 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Bhai Jatni er Nurse.... kasoota bhoonda combination ho s..... je mood kharaab ho matti ka to SUWAA issa ropp diya kare.... ek 1 mahine kullla dookhey maanas kaa... :rock :rock :rock

hahahahahahah@matti ka suwaa............anil, ek wo "paani ka suwa" te sunya tha maatti ka na sunya tha:p:D

if we talk about jaat women's career preferences.then yes...till last few years teaching was considered best for women(probably due to its perception as a respectful job..with less working hours), now the trend is changing for sure....so many girls are opting for professional degrees rather than giong for JBT or BEd.

Talking about women in corporates,women have this inherent capability to handle different jobs competitively

And its always been a debatable subject whether for a corporate woman the household responsibilities get affected or not??? i have seen so many working women managing both the duties with grt skills.n yes have seen women's personal life getting affected due to long work hours,stress.blah..blah..blah
so its kind of .........how multifacet the woman can become,how ambitious is she??......wot are her priorities in life?.....plus how co-operative the family is.

rekharathee
December 4th, 2009, 06:12 PM
wonder why there was so much fuss over that man who recently said ladies joining airforce/fighter pilots have to make it sure andsign on a written agreement they dont start a family and apply for maternity leave..its quite practical..
n then he was condemned badly n harshly..poor guy had to take his words back[/QUOTE]

exactly.........

an example of blindly following"women empowerment" without examining any logic behind his statement

spdeshwal
December 4th, 2009, 06:55 PM
may be m old-school..but she has to set her priorities right..
koi jhandaa uthaa k nahi chalna..if u feel happy cooking in the kitchen..that smile on his face n the contention.
so she has to decide wot make her feel happy..goin out with him, partying, assimilating in the world, his world..
so its subjective..u may find happiness in slightest things..things that u usually take for granted..maybe watching Simpsons together or chuckin a Sick leave together on the same day lolz..there are so many...

u shud KNOW wot u want

You are 100% right Deeps! The adjectives like contentment and happiness are subjective. Taking sick leave together, is ultimate! Bunk the work together is like the couple is in perfect harmony!
So it all boils down to attitude towards simple day to-day life!

cheers!

sunillathwal
December 4th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Could never relate to this feminist crap.. insecure ladies are feminists
u shud KNOW wot u want

Bravo!!! :)

Samarkadian
December 4th, 2009, 08:24 PM
u shud KNOW wot u want

Just imagine otherwise, these words from any man and a medal of chauvinist/mysogynist on his chest wherever he goes.

annch
December 4th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Sunil, Samar,
you guys are supporting Deepshi's statement?

Bravo!!! :)

annch
December 4th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I agree with everything you say, except that it is not always an individual choice. Ideally, a couple would work on collective priorities than the individual. For example, as a couple, if you want to maintain a certain standard of life, which is not possible on a single income, then the wife is expected to take up a job.

As Karamveer ji said, its a matter of planning too. And, why go ahead with a marriage with a person whose ambition/ lack of ambition is not on the same lines as yours? Unless people/ circumstances change after marriage, or people have not been upfront about their "suitability criteria", you can preempt support/ lack of support from your spouse/ their family.

Don't the corporates support women in their work force? Speaking from experience, corporates are providing maternity/ paternity leaves, daycares, working from home option to helpout couples caught up in the double bind of career and family.

Regards

Hi Anusha,
I am not sure whether you are married or single. Marriage is an institution where both have to raise their concerns and It is a test of your negotiation skills. Negotiate it hard and commit to what comes in you share.
I agree that woman has to face more challenges when it comes to raising kids. Couple of things are decided by Nature(Sorry but Man can't give deliver child so they don't need to go through the 9 month cycle). Trends are changing and I found that kids of working parents are more smart than other kids..
so when it comes to making compromise on career, Its an individual choice. I strongly feel that majority of women in India are still not confident in raising their concerns because they have been brought up the env. where they have seen women doing compromises everyday.

annch
December 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Exceptions can't always serve as an example. Still, I have come across men who have sacrificed their career, the one that they are passionate about, for the good/betterment of their family.
Sacrifices/ compromises don't always have to be explicit.

yudhvirmor
December 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I agree with everything you say, except that it is not always an individual choice. Ideally, a couple would work on collective priorities than the individual. For example, as a couple, if you want to maintain a certain standard of life, which is not possible on a single income, then the wife is expected to take up a job.

As Karamveer ji said, its a matter of planning too. And, why go ahead with a marriage with a person whose ambition/ lack of ambition is not on the same lines as yours? Unless people/ circumstances change after marriage, or people have not been upfront about their "suitability criteria", you can preempt support/ lack of support from your spouse/ their family.

Don't the corporates support women in their work force? Speaking from experience, corporates are providing maternity/ paternity leaves, daycares, working from home option to helpout couples caught up in the double bind of career and family.

Regards

I agree that negotiation starts before marriage but questions is Whether parties involved are sincere/interested enough to talk about family planning, career, compromises...
I said it many time... Problems in life starts when we start saying "Yes" often. Majority of us say Yes when it comes to start new relations because we treat new relations like signing new phone contract. we are excited and we just want to be with somebody.
Lets not derail from our discussions. I know corporate provides all help to make sure that horses keep on running with their full potential. I take it as win-win situation for both employee and employer.
I know its a hard choice for any woman to decelerate their career path and take care of all family responsibilities. Personally , I have tremendous respect for any woman who does that because I can't do it.

annch
December 4th, 2009, 10:51 PM
You are right. People/ women have to learn to say "No" to what they can and they cannot do, with due support from their spouse/ family.
I really appreciate your comment that you respect women who make the hard choice to decelerate their career path for family. I am sure a woman would gladly do that if her worth is appreciated in any way- career or lack of it.

I agree that negotiation starts before marriage but questions is Whether parties involved are sincere/interested enough to talk about family planning, career, compromises...
I said it many time... Problems in life starts when we start saying "Yes" often. Majority of us say Yes when it comes to start new relations because we treat new relations like signing new phone contract. we are excited and we just want to be with somebody.
Lets not derail from our discussions. I know corporate provides all help to make sure that horses keep on running with their full potential. I take it as win-win situation for both employee and employer.
I know its a hard choice for any woman to decelerate their career path and take care of all family responsibilities. Personally , I have tremendous respect for any woman who does that because I can't do it.

annch
December 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM
It is quite pertinent to discussion. I like to believe that it is not dissatisfactory "compromise" but a matter of balancing your priorities, as individual or a couple.
And as Deepshi said, do what makes you happy....or else be happy with what you get, otherwise, stay dissatisfied....

Lets not derail from our discussions. .

shailendra
December 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM
It is a dilemma that women members should be able to answer much better (obviously!), from both the married/unmarried side of the aisles … :rolleyes:

But I thought that some are unfortunately confusing dreams/aspirations/quality of one’s own personal joys with maybe ‘feminism’ and bra-burning marches!

The two things are not the same issues here (I presume) that the author may seem to be wondering about…

What is that a person (be it a man or a woman) want, that brings them a full mental/personal satisfaction at the end of a full day?

And within those ‘joys’ could fall all kind of scenarios, some of which have already been aptly mentioned here: Finding happiness watching the 'saas-bahu' serials (wait; it was Simpsons) in the warmth of your home, enjoying with your kids & watching them grow up every minute of the day, looking after the hubby/his needs and being that strength behind the successful man, attending kitty-parties w/ your homemaker warrior friends, or just those happy-hour weekend parties, thrills of being in the middle of corporate wheeling/dealings, AND/OR a combination of all the above… (or of course, the smaller permutation/combinations of some of the above)!!! :)

In fact who said that a woman cannot keep the career on a bit of a hold while the kids start going to school full time (and that’s when even those saas-bahu serials are not gonna help out much!) that one cannot start picking up where they left off?... Or (nowadays another big reality) work off from home? (And I mean I know even of instances where the husband worked off from home, got the kids to/fro from school and helped the wife go back to college finish off some higher/specialized training and then she proceeded to go to work!)… :cool:

So in short; it is not such a [I]‘this way or the highway’ scenario as most seem to be pointing out!

In fact, it HAS to start with that ‘Individual’ choice; You need to be truthful to yourself first and foremost… Don’t drop your dreams and little joys (like that back to part-time/full time work, wanting to go learn painting/water colors, that cake baking class, piano/singing/dancing… etc. etc.) just because one thinks that would mean the sacrifice of so many other things… you gotta realize, that where there is a will- there is a way!

Once that is clear in one’s own mind then you approach the wonderful institution that is marriage with frank discussions… and compromises… and ‘mutual’ decisions with your partner…
[Contrary to belief, we are a progressive race now… and reminds me of a pet peeve about how men may unfortunately still be mostly perceived as some typical Neanderthal Man (from Brahm’s sexually explicit graphic! :D:D:D)…]

Ask your better half (if he really is one, that is :rolleyes:) if he thinks he can support that ‘I always wanted to…’ thingy of yours, (simply because you would rather really go for that simple personal joy rather than see yourself one day sitting at home watching a re-run of the movie ‘The Bucket List’ with a wad of tissue papers!)…and chances are he would make those adjustments, in his time and help with yours to make your dreams come true!

[And that folks, is the choice, (and on a lighter note)… cause either that or when you are screaming/participating in that ‘we want our equal rights’ march ;)… chances are there would 'he' be too…standing with a placard, in the back of that milling crowds of angry men, that explicitly says, ‘Iron the shirt…B**ch!’ :D]

annch
December 5th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Goodness gracious us, Holmes!!! :D......pleasantly....

And on a serious note, well said....

It is a dilemma that women members should be able to answer much better (obviously!), from both the married/unmarried side of the aisles … :rolleyes:

But I thought that some are unfortunately confusing dreams/aspirations/quality of one’s own personal joys with maybe ‘feminism’ and bra-burning marches!

The two things are not the same issues here (I presume) that the author may seem to be wondering about…

What is that a person (be it a man or a woman) want, that brings them a full mental/personal satisfaction at the end of a full day?

And within those ‘joys’ could fall all kind of scenarios, some of which have already been aptly mentioned here: Finding happiness watching the 'saas-bahu' serials (wait; it was Simpsons) in the warmth of your home, enjoying with your kids & watching them grow up every minute of the day, looking after the hubby/his needs and being that strength behind the successful man, attending kitty-parties w/ your homemaker warrior friends, or just those happy-hour weekend parties, thrills of being in the middle of corporate wheeling/dealings, AND/OR a combination of all the above… (or of course, the smaller permutation/combinations of some of the above)!!! :)

In fact who said that a woman cannot keep the career on a bit of a hold while the kids start going to school full time (and that’s when even those saas-bahu serials are not gonna help out much!) that one cannot start picking up where they left off?... Or (nowadays another big reality) work off from home? (And I mean I know even of instances where the husband worked off from home, got the kids to/fro from school and helped the wife go back to college finish off some higher/specialized training and then she proceeded to go to work!)… :cool:

So in short; it is not such a [I]‘this way or the highway’ scenario as most seem to be pointing out!

In fact, it HAS to start with that ‘Individual’ choice; You need to be truthful to yourself first and foremost… Don’t drop your dreams and little joys (like that back to part-time/full time work, wanting to go learn painting/water colors, that cake baking class, piano/singing/dancing… etc. etc.) just because one thinks that would mean the sacrifice of so many other things… you gotta realize, that where there is a will- there is a way!

Once that is clear in one’s own mind then you approach the wonderful institution that is marriage with frank discussions… and compromises… and ‘mutual’ decisions with your partner…
[Contrary to belief, we are a progressive race now… and reminds me of a pet peeve about how men may unfortunately still be mostly perceived as some typical Neanderthal Man (from Brahm’s sexually explicit graphic! :D:D:D)…]

Ask your better half (if he really is one, that is :rolleyes:) if he thinks he can support that ‘I always wanted to…’ thingy of yours, (simply because you would rather really go for that simple personal joy rather than see yourself one day sitting at home watching a re-run of the movie ‘The Bucket List’ with a wad of tissue papers!)…and chances are he would make those adjustments, in his time and help with yours to make your dreams come true!

[And that folks, is the choice, (and on a lighter note)… cause either that or when you are screaming/participating in that ‘we want our equal rights’ march ;)… chances are there would 'he' be too…standing with a placard, in the back of that milling crowds of angry men, that explicitly says, ‘Iron the shirt…B**ch!’ :D]

vicky84
December 5th, 2009, 07:04 AM
May be merge this thread with http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28096&highlight=woman+empowerment.

lalit_nashier
December 5th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Priorities, Balance & Satisfaction - That's it.

Be a woman or man, if you have zeal to pursue any task, nobody can stop you. (Bonus is when somebody is there to support you.)

If you change your gender, will that affect your priorities or your thinking in general? I don't understand why even we discuss such topics - women in corporate, women empowerment.

Negotiation starts before marriage - I don't agree.
I would rather say process of understanding each other starts before marriage -
Just before marriage???? Process should go on & on & on (it's essential indeed) ...
Nobody is same & nobody has same thinking process. Actually, name it as you want.
Some don't see any problem in matching up their thoughts/priorities,
some find it difficult because they always see themselves individually first.

Whatever

You have to come up with your own solution. Nobody can help you.

annch
December 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
This settles the debate....:rolleyes:

Priorities, Balance & Satisfaction - That's it.
Nobody is same & nobody has same thinking process. Actually, name it as you want.
You have to come up with your own solution. Nobody can help you.

brahmtewatia
December 5th, 2009, 03:13 PM
‘ten thousand thundering typhoons’ !!!… luckily, none of them engulfed marlinspike hall. for a moment tht pet peeve made me feel like ‘david’ ;) nd sumtime like ‘neanderthal man’ :o… dunno hw far can fantasies galore nd how i was perceived. JL didn’t existed in his times or else michelanjelo wud walk-up frm his grave.

not to miss the topic as well… working or not working… career or no career… “at the end of the day, it’s the satisfaction tht matters”. life is short nd time has a wide wing-span, it flies… nd flies very swiftly.

p.s.: nice to see the female opinion(s) on the subject… if not females, we (jatnis) will surely see the dawn of 2050.

deepshi
January 21st, 2010, 01:12 PM
Just imagine otherwise, these words from any man and a medal of chauvinist/mysogynist on his chest wherever he goes.
yeah..too much political correctness going on..

karan
January 21st, 2010, 09:41 PM
And then there is nature..different set of minds,hormones and bodies..u can never compete with a man..neither can he give birth to a life
so different roles..but I think women in today's world are deluded and in denial
Deepshi
You have never heard of Gloria Steinmen. If she read your post, I am sure she will give you her piece of mind. There is no other women who gets me so riled up as this "Intellectual Idiot" called Gloria Steinmen.
Having said that, I agree with your sentiment and logic.

n then he was condemned badly n harshly..poor guy had to take his words back

Sure it is practical but we are living in 'Age and Tim'e where everyone gets offended at every little thing. There is no more sagacity left. Everyone has a chip on their shoulder.
I have to agree with Air Force Marshall, he used blunt and straight forward words, nobody wants to hear the truth all they want is sugar candy, want to have false pride.

deepshi
January 22nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
Deepshi
You have never heard of Gloria Steinmen. If she read your post, I am sure she will give you her piece of mind. .
haha..I hear ya..
but reckon her life would of been pretty screwed up

karan
January 23rd, 2010, 04:16 AM
haha..I hear ya..
but reckon her life would of been pretty screwed up
Indeed so. After preaching feminism all her life and blaming men for all her woes, she needed a men at the age of 60. She will never say it out loud but now she stays away from making any radical comment.......I wonder what happened.... you wouldn't have any idea now, would you. ;)

deepshi
January 23rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Indeed so. After preaching feminism all her life and blaming men for all her woes, she needed a men at the age of 60. She will never say it out loud but now she stays away from making any radical comment.......I wonder what happened.... you wouldn't have any idea now, would you. ;)

Nope..never..but heard of Megan Denise fox haha
n I always thought shes Oz bred..was wrong

yudhvirmor
January 24th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Found some funny article about what woman can do to corporate person if he tries to take her on ride..

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100123/tod-revenge-for-scorned-mistress-of-obam-870a197.html

I found it quite amusing though.. Karan be watchful :-)

karan
January 24th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Yudhvir
Thanks for the tip.........LOL LOL
I am happily married don't need extra curricular activities. My single life was over long time ago. I am happy with the one I have.