PDA

View Full Version : Hockey India Strike

yatinder19
January 13th, 2010, 02:24 AM
India, with eight Olympic gold medals behind them, could be the laughing stock of world hockey and have to select a second string team for next month’s hockey World Cup in New Delhi.
The coaches will then spend the next five weeks preparing this star-less squad to take on the best in the world.
This was the situation on Tuesday, after 22 of India’s top hockey players rejected Hockey India’s offer of Rs 25,000 each as incentive and refused to resume practice. Stalemate.
Backing the rebellious players are Olympians who have offered to “return” medals they won in the Olympics, World Cup and Asian games to the President to express solidarity with the “aggrieved” players.
“It is not strike but a fight for their dues… and a struggle for their survival”, said Balbir Singh, a member of the hockey squad that won bronze in 1968 Mexico Olympics.
The players prepared a list of monies they believe they should get for winning medals in various 2009 tournaments. At the top — a player who has played all these specified events will be eligible for a Rs 4.5 lakh.
Hockey India’s response to that list was simple. “No”.

vijay123
January 13th, 2010, 03:05 AM
It is sad to read that the players of our national sport has been meted out such treatment. Either govt should declare cricket as national sport or they should do something for the hockey.

Here is some good news though:

SRK, Aamir, Salman to join Salma Agha

http://movies.indiatimes.com/News-Gossip/News/SRK-Aamir-Salman-to-join-Salma-Agha/articleshow/5437853.cms

Salma Agha’s decision to support and lift the financial state of the Indian hockey team through a series of fund raising concerts has suddenly woken up our very own Bollywood superstars. Yes, now Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan and Salman Khan, apparently will pitch in their contributions by joining Salma in her fund raising initiative.

“Shah Rukh has shown interest. He came forward and spoke about supporting the cause. Aamir, too, this morning openly volunteered to be part of this move. Just now I learnt that Salman will also come on board with us for these concerts. It’s great that it’s not my effort alone. It’s everyone’s,” said an excited Salma, who starred in the superhit, Nikaah by B R Chopra.

Salma, whose love for sports prompted her to help the Indian hockey players, is suddenly finding wide appreciation across the country, especially amongst the Hockey Association of India. “My family and my relatives are heavily into sports,” she adds.

Her concerts will have a whole lot of performances by various singers and actors from the Indian film industry. “Suddenly we are getting a lot of good feedback from the industry. Inshaallah, I have a feeling that we are heading in the right direction,” she observes.

Salma further adds, “It’s appalling to know, that on one hand you accord the players with so much respect and honor, and on the other and, you don’t compensate them with even basic maintenance expenses. That’s so humiliating. The hockey players and coaches find themselves in a sorry plight. They are so poor, it’s sad”.