PDA

View Full Version : Words derived from Sanskrit

anil_rathee
January 26th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Hi All Jatlanders,

I am very fond of Sanskrit Language, although I am very week in it at the same time as I have never learnt it formally. but I understands it.

I have heard from many people that a large amount of words in many foreign languages (specially European) are derived from Sanskrit...... Even I have observed that many words in English sounds similar to very commonly used Sanskrit words with almost same meanings.....

The latest one i found was COW derived from (Gou, गौ)..they pronounce very close if we observe it .......most of us have seen Namastey London and know many more words from thr. .....

I wanted to explore it further and want to know till which extent world languages are influenced by Sanskrit.

I know here we have lots of Scholars who have in depth knowledge of this subject.....

Could you all please share your part of knowledge.........

Please provide the words used in any world language and its equivalent in Sanskrit with meaning (as i m poor in this subject)

thank you very much for your contribution in advance..........:)

VivekBhaarteeya
January 26th, 2010, 02:24 PM
भ्रातर = brother

Omnipresent, Omnipotent, Omniscient might have been derived from OM.
???

rajkphogat
January 26th, 2010, 05:14 PM
भ्रातर = brother

Omnipresent, Omnipotent, Omniscient might have been derived from OM.
???

Bhai vivek
shukar se englis translation likh diya na te bera na pate e भ्रातर k howe se

singhabhimanyu
January 26th, 2010, 08:37 PM
in namaste london, akshay kumar says "maatr = mother... bhratr = brother, giamiti = geometry, trikonniti = trigonometry."

thank you very much for your contribution in advance..........:)

dndeswal
January 27th, 2010, 09:27 AM
The list is endless. English has adopoted many Sanskrit words on "as-it-is" basis - such as chakra, Brahmin, ghee, guru, maharaja, mahatma, pundit, swami, yoga etc. Some more words are listed below, derived from Sanskrit.

सूप - Soup
काष्यू - Cashew
शर्करा - Sugar
जगन्नाथ - Juggernaut (Lord of the World)
पाल्यंका - Palanquin
दुहितृ - Daughter
दिव्यम् - Divine
नावी - Navy

Please also read my old thread by clicking here - Sanskrit – the Divine Language (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?19676-Sanskrit-the-Divine-Language)

VivekBhaarteeya
January 27th, 2010, 09:50 PM
नमस्ते देशवाल जी, मैंने आपकी पोस्टपढ़ी और बहुत अच्छी लगी| एक जो आपने lord Macaulay के भाषण को उद्धृत किया है उसकी सच्चाई के सम्बन्ध में कुछ doubt है |ऐसाही एक article एक बार एक तमिल news paper में आया था और उसने भी यहीभाषण quote किया था |एक बन्दे नेउसकीकॉपी हमारे ऑफिस के intranet पर circulate कर दी |तो एक और बन्दे (डॉ.मूसद) ने इसकी सच्चाई पता करने के लिए British parliament से contact कियाऔर जो जवाब वहां से मिला मैं उसे यहाँ कॉपी पेस्ट कर रहा हूँ |
Links I am deleting as it is not possible to submit with links here.-Vivek

[QUOTE]
Sirs,
I was so concerned by this mail and got in touch with British Parliament for confirmation. Following is the reply received.
Dear Dr. Moosad,
Thank you for your enquiry. I refer you to one of our Frequently Asked Questions, which answers your question
(HERE WAS A LINK-VIVEK)
Yours sincerely,
Mari Takayanagi (Ms)
Archivist
Parliamentary Archives
Houses of Parliament
London
SW1A 0PW
United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)20 7219 3074
Fax: +44 (0)20 7219 2570
(HERE TWO LINKS WERE GIVEN-VIVEK)
The link gives this:
"Macaulay's Minute, sometimes referred to as a speech given in Parliament or a minute presented to Parliament, is not a Parliamentary record so is not held by the Parliamentary Archives. Thomas Babington Macaulay (1800-1859) Baron Macaulay, historian, essayist, and poet, was a Member of Parliament between 1830-1834, 1840-1847 and 1852-1857. His famous Minute on Indian Education is dated 2 February 1835, when he was not an MP. He had resigned his Parliamentary seat in early 1834 and sailed for India, as he had been made a Member of the Supreme Council for India. The Minute was therefore presumably written for the Supreme Council, not the British Parliament.
The text of Macaulay's Minute on Indian Education can be found on many websites using a search engine such as Google and entering the title and name of the author. Alternatively, Macaulay's entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography(HERE was a link-vivek) records that Macaulay's Minute was printed by G. O. Trevelyan in an appendix to his book The Competition Wallah (1864). The Parliamentary Archives cannot vouch for the authenticity of any of these websites, nor does it hold a copy of Trevelyan's book..”
And the so called Minute, when checked, did not contain the quoted text anywhere in it. He was arguing for English education in India, but in a much more polished and civilized manner. I wish we could avoid circulating such unconfirmed/controversial stuff.
[UNQUOTE]

upendersingh
January 28th, 2010, 01:56 AM
This link may also be informative about the words derived from the Sanskrit:
http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/essays/sanskritwords2.asp

nitindev
January 28th, 2010, 08:05 PM
yeah kaunse post ka reply hai? and can you please provide the links

नमस्ते देशवाल जी, मैंने आपकी पोस्टपढ़ी और बहुत अच्छी लगी| एक जो आपने lord Macaulay के भाषण को उद्धृत किया है उसकी सच्चाई के सम्बन्ध में कुछ doubt है |ऐसाही एक article एक बार एक तमिल news paper में आया था और उसने भी यहीभाषण quote किया था |एक बन्दे नेउसकीकॉपी हमारे ऑफिस के intranet पर circulate कर दी |तो एक और बन्दे (डॉ.मूसद) ने इसकी सच्चाई पता करने के लिए British parliament से contact कियाऔर जो जवाब वहां से मिला मैं उसे यहाँ कॉपी पेस्ट कर रहा हूँ |
Links I am deleting as it is not possible to submit with links here.-Vivek

[QUOTE]
Sirs,
I was so concerned by this mail and got in touch with British Parliament for confirmation. Following is the reply received.
Dear Dr. Moosad,
Thank you for your enquiry. I refer you to one of our Frequently Asked Questions, which answers your question
(HERE WAS A LINK-VIVEK)
Yours sincerely,
Mari Takayanagi (Ms)
Archivist
Parliamentary Archives
Houses of Parliament
London
SW1A 0PW
United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)20 7219 3074
Fax: +44 (0)20 7219 2570
(HERE TWO LINKS WERE GIVEN-VIVEK)
The link gives this:
"Macaulay's Minute, sometimes referred to as a speech given in Parliament or a minute presented to Parliament, is not a Parliamentary record so is not held by the Parliamentary Archives. Thomas Babington Macaulay (1800-1859) Baron Macaulay, historian, essayist, and poet, was a Member of Parliament between 1830-1834, 1840-1847 and 1852-1857. His famous Minute on Indian Education is dated 2 February 1835, when he was not an MP. He had resigned his Parliamentary seat in early 1834 and sailed for India, as he had been made a Member of the Supreme Council for India. The Minute was therefore presumably written for the Supreme Council, not the British Parliament.
The text of Macaulay's Minute on Indian Education can be found on many websites using a search engine such as Google and entering the title and name of the author. Alternatively, Macaulay's entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography(HERE was a link-vivek) records that Macaulay's Minute was printed by G. O. Trevelyan in an appendix to his book The Competition Wallah (1864). The Parliamentary Archives cannot vouch for the authenticity of any of these websites, nor does it hold a copy of Trevelyan's book..”
And the so called Minute, when checked, did not contain the quoted text anywhere in it. He was arguing for English education in India, but in a much more polished and civilized manner. I wish we could avoid circulating such unconfirmed/controversial stuff.
[UNQUOTE]

VivekBhaarteeya
January 28th, 2010, 08:28 PM
yeah kaunse post ka reply hai? and can you please provide the links

Nitin bhai, isi thread me jo 5th post Deshwal ji ki hai usme ek link Sanskrit-the Divine Language di hui hai, usi ko padh kar usi ka jawab is naye thread me maine diya hai. Links main de raha tha lekin links ke sath post karne par,submission is denied by the website JL.

I am agin trying here, First link is :
parliament.uk/parliamentary_publications_and_archives/parliamentary_archives/archives___faqs.cfm#macaulay

Copy and Paste the above address in address bar with w..w

nitindev
January 28th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Vivek bhai, dhanyavad. I got a forwarded mail 2 days back with the same letter. I had my doubts about the authenticity of that letter. Thanks for the information. I wonder why we Indians keep bragging about ourselves and our past and why not ponder on what we have, rather what we are right now. Talk about the inventions and discoveries then we will get an argument that we contributed with "0", we brag about IT and we stand only at 44th or somewhere in 70's among the best IT nations and now and then we keep hearning such things. Anyways the point I wanted to make is that we shouldn't be ecstatic by such circulating messages or the achievements in the past. how does that help us in the present now. the ground realities are very different.

About the sanskrit, somehow I am also fascinated with this language but the fact of the matter is that sanskrit lost to other languages in the race of survival and evolution. If it was such a great language then wonder why its popularity/usuage went down during the course of world history.

Nitin bhai, isi thread me jo 5th post Deshwal ji ki hai usme ek link Sanskrit-the Divine Language di hui hai, usi ko padh kar usi ka jawab is naye thread me maine diya hai. Links main de raha tha lekin links ke sath post karne par,submission is denied by the website JL.

parliament.uk/parliamentary_publications_and_archives/parliamentary_archives/archives___faqs.cfm#macaulay

VivekBhaarteeya
January 28th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I wonder why we Indians keep bragging about ourselves and our past

Bhai mujhe lagta hai ki hum indians bina kuchh kare bhi chahte hain ki duniya hume pooje. jaise koi banda apne purkho ki kabr par baitha tha aur log bag jab bhi us kabr par diye jalate to vo ye soch kar khush hota ki ye meri pooja kar rahe hain, hum to usse bhi aage hain... hum khud hi diya jalate hain aur kood kar khud hi kabr par baith jate hain.

...sanskrit lost to other languages in the race of survival and evolution. If it was such a great language then wonder why its popularity/usuage went down during the course of world history.

Bhai rahi baat sanskrit ke evolve na hone ki to main samajhta hoon ki actually jo other languages like hindi also is not evolving nowadays but its a devolution as we are not taught languages properly and it becomes the cause of regionalism with passage of time. And here I thank to the scholars of sanskrit as they are maintainig its quality and high standards.

Sanskrit ki popularity isliye kam ho rahi hai kyonki ye time baazaarvaad ka hai aur sanskrit seekhne ki jarurat logo ko nahi padti kyonki aisa koi nahi hai jo kewal isi language ko janta ho, aur agar aisa hai to uski purchasing power apekshakrit kam hogi. South India me jyadatar private , khaskar marketing, job wale hindi seekh rahe hain taaki hindi bhashi customers ko apna saman bech saken.

rajkphogat
January 29th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Bhai Bharat What r u talking abut, Do you think if these things were told in British Parliament (I m not saying this is true or false) then WO angrej isey accept karengey ?????????

Ye sochna bhi hassayprad hai...........

Angreja ka bhi k bharosa, ******* brother-in-laws.