PDA

View Full Version : dust problem in india

arvind1069
February 10th, 2010, 11:38 AM
i just want to bring ur attention to the perennial dust problem in india. what could be the probable reason for the dust in india. and why there is much less dust and soot in developed countries, where our shoes keep shining for months without polish and clothes remain clean.

plz throw some light on the possible causes of dust and why indian people do not consider dust as a health hazard?

dndeswal
February 10th, 2010, 12:40 PM
This factor is not linked to "developed" or "developing" countries. There are certain natural and climatic factors and some are linked to man-made pollution. In India, states like Himachal Pradesh, Uttaranchal, entire North-East and vast areas of Madhya Pradesh, Chhatisgarh, Orissa etc. which are full of natural forests, are as dust-free as any other place on earth. Crowded cities and towns carry more dust-particles than rural areas.

One more example - Under-developed countries like Papua New Guinea, Cambodia, Vietnam and Philippines are clean and dust free in the same way as their southern "developed" neighbours (Australia and New Zealand) because of their vast forests and daily rainfalls. Same is true of African countries like Kenya, Uganda, Mozambique, Madagascar, Angola, Congo, Niger, Ivory Coast etc. They are also dust-free as any other "developed" country.

Dust created by human or industrial activities in big cities is a health hazard. Natural duststorms in deserts of Rajasthan and elsewhere are not health hazards !

brahmtewatia
February 10th, 2010, 04:25 PM
i just want to bring ur attention to the perennial dust problem in india. what could be the probable reason for the dust in india. answer is simple, here mtnl, jal board, desu, mcd, ndmc dont work in tandem with each other... in other foreign countries (developed) they do. other countries that are left out, mr. deswal's reply holds good.

arvind1069
February 11th, 2010, 09:48 AM
city dust is definately a health hazard. i noticed that when i use to live in panchkula i use to have recurrent allergic problems, but since i ve been in australia i do not suffer from any sore throat, allergy or cold etc. definately dust is the main culprit. one more thing i noticed is the quality of petrol. the vehicles in australia doesnt seem to emit noxious fumes. if i walk along a busiest highway i cant smell any smoke unlike in india where u cant walk along a highway with heavy traffic. do u think there is a difference in petrol quality as well.

the main cause i see behing the city dust is the bad construction of roads, unpaved roads, absence of footpath, uncovered construction work in buildings, authorities leave holes open after digging. i think if v can construct good roads and have a concerete footpath, most of the dust problem can b solved.

and why ppl dont consider dust as a hazard is because they have get used to it. now i m here from last 10 days i am also feeling that it is allright, i m also getting used to it. but getting used to smthing doesnt mean that it ll not have a bad effect on us.

vijay123
February 11th, 2010, 10:05 AM
You have to understand that India is a developing country and not developed country. Right now thrust is on improving infrastructure which includes building road. Once that boom is over we can look for other comforts such as controlling dust. Right now there is a shortage of drinking water and electricity in cities. In such situation how can we have so much water to control dust?

city dust is definately a health hazard. i noticed that when i use to live in panchkula i use to have recurrent allergic problems, but since i ve been in australia i do not suffer from any sore throat, allergy or cold etc. definately dust is the main culprit. one more thing i noticed is the quality of petrol. the vehicles in australia doesnt seem to emit noxious fumes. if i walk along a busiest highway i cant smell any smoke unlike in india where u cant walk along a highway with heavy traffic. do u think there is a difference in petrol quality as well.

the main cause i see behing the city dust is the bad construction of roads, unpaved roads, absence of footpath, uncovered construction work in buildings, authorities leave holes open after digging. i think if v can construct good roads and have a concerete footpath, most of the dust problem can b solved.

and why ppl dont consider dust as a hazard is because they have get used to it. now i m here from last 10 days i am also feeling that it is allright, i m also getting used to it. but getting used to smthing doesnt mean that it ll not have a bad effect on us.

arvind1069
February 11th, 2010, 10:18 AM
This factor is not linked to "developed" or "developing" countries. There are certain natural and climatic factors and some are linked to man-made pollution. In India, states like Himachal Pradesh, Uttaranchal, entire North-East and vast areas of Madhya Pradesh, Chhatisgarh, Orissa etc. which are full of natural forests, are as dust-free as any other place on earth. Crowded cities and towns carry more dust-particles than rural areas.

One more example - Under-developed countries like Papua New Guinea, Cambodia, Vietnam and Philippines are clean and dust free in the same way as their southern "developed" neighbours (Australia and New Zealand) because of their vast forests and daily rainfalls. Same is true of African countries like Kenya, Uganda, Mozambique, Madagascar, Angola, Congo, Niger, Ivory Coast etc. They are also dust-free as any other "developed" country.

Dust created by human or industrial activities in big cities is a health hazard. Natural duststorms in deserts of Rajasthan and elsewhere are not health hazards !

i agree wid u that climate is also responsible. but look at dubai and UAE. they are dry and arid. but dont have dust problems. i think its better management

sidchhikara
February 11th, 2010, 11:37 AM
The reason is very simple and evident........

In developed countries, every square inch in populated cites is either cemented or has grass the same goes for the the side of all highways - the zoning laws have compulsary landscaping - its that simple - nothing else - its not just for show - its very practical.
So vehicles don't throw up dust like they do in India.
If you go to places like Shimla ... you will not find dust even though they might be congested with many vehicles because they have natural vegetation.................. so no need to cement/maintain grass.

Brahm has the right point about all these sarkari agencies digging up the roads and leaving them unmetalled.

So ... even if just your colony has cemented ... like 1/2 sq km area .. you will not get dust atleast in your house ... when you go outside the story .. it will be differnt.
you can see this with your own eyes if you go to embassy areas like Chanakyapuri in Delhi .. they have very less dust over there because most areas have grass/cemented.