PDA

View Full Version : Marine Drive: A Passage Through History at EBC Radio

raj2rif
April 13th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Back Ground
The Eastern Broadcasting Corporation the Indian Radio Station came into being around 1999. They started their broadcast at 89.3 FM, frequency. Later on the FM channel was taken by the now famous Dhoom II Station broadcasting the Indian Music. The EBC got 1680 AM frequency which had almost 300 miles radius coverage, but had to settle with 1170 AM with a lot less coverage due to financial crunch.
Financials
EBC gets its revenue by the advertising. They have a small permanent staff. Most of the RJ’s are volunteers who are given little training and a lot of guidance by the program director.
Marine Drive
For a long time the Program Director had been asking me to host a show; talking about my experience in the armed forces. This persuasion took about 8 years for me to accept the responsibility. I did not want to be another RJ on the AIR. So for a trial we started our program from the first Saturday of August 2009 with the program named “Aye Mere Watan Ke Logo”; the program was essentially to play the Patriotic songs. The program was liked by the listeners as I talked a little about the life of soldiers and challenges they face. But the program had limited scope; for listening to the same kind of songs over and over again was not going to create the entertainment the public was expecting. So, we started the program with few patriotic songs and other regular songs. However this did not satisfy me as an artist.
In January 2010; I prepared a program for the Army Day. The program was to be hosted on 16th Jan. When I was hosting a program; I got a call from one of our listeners and I quote; “Kya 26 January Ka Program Kar Rahe Hain?” unquote. I told him that it was being done to in commemoration of “Army Day” to pay tribute to our fallen soldiers. He told me that he was ignorant about the “Army Day” like many others, and felt little sorry for his own ignorance. I think his call did the trick. It gave me an idea that I was looking forward to. I decided to inform the listeners about the evolution of Indian Military and talk about the Indian History. We put some lovely songs from various era of our entertainment industry within the History. The program is a hit as per our feedback. I got an emotional call from a Bengali lady when I was giving program in memory of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on Jan 23, 2010. What she said: I quote; “You are the only one who is giving a valuable program; people remember birthdays of Shahrukh Khan and Amitabh Bachhan but forget about our national heroes”. Unquote. I get a lot of calls those sometime move me to the extent that tears come out of my eyes.
The name “Marine Drive” was suggested by the daughter of the owner of the radio station. You all can listen to this program at 1170 AM or www. Ebcmusic.com on internet.
I hope; people like this program. I will be giving some programs/Radio Talk about the business I do in following few weeks to educate people about how to purchase their insurances; and what to look for while purchasing insurances. We will follow that series with investment; retirement planning and various subjects related to the financial industry. So, keep listening. You can call me at the studio if you have any suggestions; the number is 732-297-9886 you can email me your suggestions at veeru_tav@yahoo.com (veeru_tav@yahoo.com) or vir@ebcmusic.com (vir@ebcmusic.com)
I hope the information I share is useful to our younger generation.