PDA

View Full Version : Outsourcing education to India

ravichaudhary
October 4th, 2010, 08:05 AM
http://publication.samachar.com/pub_article.php?id=10301900&nextids=10301165|10300235|10301896|10301898|103019 00&nextIndex=0

School in London outsources maths classes to India
Ashis Ray, TNN, Oct 4, 2010, 03.19am IST
Article
e
Share on Facebook

LONDON: A north London school, Ashmount Primary, has outsourced mathematics teaching to India. And, according to BBC, pupils in this institution are improving in this subject.

Shortage of mathematics teachers in British schools has for some time presented an opportunity to Indians to teach the subject. Many of them have even immigrated to Britian to teach mathematics.

A British firm, Bright Spark Education Company (BSEC), is facilitating the online mathematics classes by teachers thousands of miles away in Ludhiana. Lessons are booked 24 hours in advance; and at a stipulated students log on and converse with their tutor over the internet.

The lessons, designed for children between seven and 16, cost £12 an hour; and parents sign up for blocks of two or five hours. The students appear to be excited about the project. BBC quoted several 10-year-olds saying this. Adam, a student, said: "It's fun because it's on the computer and not doing it on your books." Another student Rosa added: "It's fun because you're talking to someone from somewhere else."

BSEC has employed around 100 maths graduates for the purpose, who are paid £7 an hour. One of them remarked, "I can't see the student, but I can talk. I can chat with them so it's a different way of teaching and as effective as a classroom — even more effective, so that's what I like about it."

However, teachers unions in Britain are unhappy. "I'm concerned about the precedent this is setting," said National Union of Teachers' general secretary Chris Keates. "What next? Do we do without maths teachers?" she asked.

BSEC's Tom Hooper rejected the criticism. "It's just a supplement to help kids with their maths and to complement classroom learning."

Read more: School in London outsources maths classes to India - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/uk/School-in-London-outsources-maths-classes-to-India/articleshow/6680563.cms#ixzz11LxGlVO0

is this trend likely to grow?o

rakeshdhaka
October 4th, 2010, 08:33 AM
It is very good opportunity for Indian as well as our Jat brothers.Because,we are excellent in math but not in english.There is very necessary to improve our english to teach the math to enlish children.

AnkurMalik
October 4th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Off late, I happened to come across the news that the New York based Columbia University is going to set up an international centre for research and regional collaboration in Mumbai. GMAT has also announced to set up an office in India which will be its third one after USA and UK.

Undoubtedly India is preferred destination for outsourcing than many other countries because country has immense potential in terms of man power, talent, and its hold over English. India is a favourite destination for outsourcing not only in education sector but same holds true for Business sector. If you ask that will this trend is likely to go. My answer is yes.

India has many competitors in outsourcing like Philippines, Malaysia, and Brazil etc. But still India is preferred over many countries. In the recent past, the Satyam fraud was seen as ominous cloud over Indian Outsourcing industry and it was assumed that impact of it will be nostalgic. But those speculations were proved as erroneous statements. Today, outsourcing has become a business need in the globalized world. Industries cannot get away with that fact.

In order to make our outsourcing market more competitive, Indian Government needs to take more concrete steps towards its ways of business. For example, easing the complex labour laws, less bureaucratic processes etc. Easing in labour laws can attract more investors in the country. It can also help in curbing the corruption which is endemic in our country. The Government has also recognized this fact. In a recent move, Indian Government has introduced GST which as simplified the complex taxation system. Surely this step will attract more Investors in the country. The other factors which are crucial for outsourcing business are cheap labour and Government control over inflation. If things get expensive in the country, it will definitely make labour more expensive which could hurt the outsourcing business.