PDA

View Full Version : Radiations In Ground Water

anuragsunda
January 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM
'''Cancer'''

Cancer is one of the drastic disease from which human being suffers. Now a days in north India, Patients suffering from cancer is increasing day by day. Environmentalist, Scientist and top govt officials are not taking any consideration towards it at all. This cancer problem is increased four times after 1998 NUCLEAR TESTING. My major concern towards it to aware you all about increasing radiation content in Ground Water. As we know that Rajasthan and panjab are having great source of THORIUM. Now I come to know that govt started to process mining of THORIUM present in these areas. I don't have any data to show the impact of Radiation on human body in these area. But geologist/scientist are not showing any interest to study the impact of radiation. As the depth of water is increasing, contamination of radiation is also increasing in water.

We have to think again and should ask govt to take some steps to save the community and life.

Anurag
Research Scholar "Chemistry"

ravinderpannu
January 8th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Anurag,
I may agree with you with the following conditions :
1.) Thorium was/is present there since ages, so it could have affected earlier also. Except from thorium there are other radioactive elements present in the crust.
It has not affected earlier, why it is affecting now, and do u have any data relating to cancer from Rajasthan especially from pokharan and neighboring areas.
2.) What is the effect of excessive use of pesticides/insecticides and other chemicals in agriculture.

I strongly believe that point number 2 is responsible for the cause of cancer in the last decade.

Shibani
January 9th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I am going to give my response more so in terms of my observation and conclusions. The reason cancer has become such a prominent and growing disease in this era is because of our complex lifestyle. We live a complex life and eat complex food as opposed to the past when it was all simple living and simple food. The stress levels have increased, normal healthy food has been replaced by processed and fast foods. I would like to see the comparison of the chemical level in our body to someone living in remote area with normal simple food habits. I am sure it is going to be a shocker.
Overall I think we cannot point out towards one factor but various variables that have increased the pace of these disease. But the thread owner's concern is genuine and its a topic worth a thought.
My two cents to this thread.

ashwaniranasaro
January 9th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I am going to give my response more so in terms of my observation and conclusions. The reason cancer has become such a prominent and growing disease in this era is because of our complex lifestyle. We live a complex life and eat complex food as opposed to the past when it was all simple living and simple food. The stress levels have increased, normal healthy food has been replaced by processed and fast foods. I would like to see the comparison of the chemical level in our body to someone living in remote area with normal simple food habits. I am sure it is going to be a shocker.
Overall I think we cannot point out towards one factor but various variables that have increased the pace of these disease. But the thread owner's concern is genuine and its a topic worth a thought.
My two cents to this thread.

I am totally agree with ur points.But today due to less work leads us to a disease that can be harmful.........

anuragsunda
January 14th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Anurag,
I may agree with you with the following conditions :
1.) Thorium was/is present there since ages, so it could have affected earlier also. Except from thorium there are other radioactive elements present in the crust.
It has not affected earlier, why it is affecting now, and do u have any data relating to cancer from Rajasthan especially from pokharan and neighboring areas.
2.) What is the effect of excessive use of pesticides/insecticides and other chemicals in agriculture.

I strongly believe that point number 2 is responsible for the cause of cancer in the last decade.

Ravinder,

The point number two may accelerate the cancer but not become the cause of it directly, Since the Pesticides consists most of organic part instead of metal framwork. Whereas organic moieties may ir-regulate the harmonal activity and release; but metal framwork directly interact with Nucleus and cell reactions.
Of course other radioactive are also present in earth crust but Thorium abundance is much higher than other and its reactivity and cell penetration is heighest among the other radioactive as area of concern.

Anurag

anuragsunda
January 14th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I want to address the Radiation problem with my concern, Everyone can ignore it by saying stress, lifestyle and food are problems. That is the thing from which govt is getting benefit, Govt utilizing the confusion and unawareness in public about Radiation and started processing of THORIUM mining. The most of the disease are spread by WATER and AIR. Radiation are so crucial that you can't analyze or see its effect by naked eyes. As Fluoride and cadmium you can judge by looking itself in water sample at certain ppm level.

anuragsunda
January 14th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I will find some data on impact of radiation on human body very soon to co-relate my concern on radiotion in water with cancer...........

ravinderpannu
January 18th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Anurag,
I am concerned about ur dedication for this thread and will really appreciate if you could bring some data in order to prove the sequence. and i will be the one spreading awareness among as many ppl as i know. Lest and solid data is there the reason seems right as there is a general fear of radiation in our minds,..which is true as well.

anuragsunda
January 28th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Anurag,
I am concerned about ur dedication for this thread and will really appreciate if you could bring some data in order to prove the sequence. and i will be the one spreading awareness among as many ppl as i know. Lest and solid data is there the reason seems right as there is a general fear of radiation in our minds,..which is true as well.

Thanks Ravinder

anuragsunda
August 26th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Anurag,

I am pasting Abstract of a recent published article in which existence of Uranium radiations in ground water is shown for Haryana Region.

Uranium concentration in ground water samples belonging to some areas of Western Haryana, India
using fission track registration technique
Sandeep Kansal1*, Rohit Mehra2 and N. P. Singh3
1Department of Physics, Giani Zail Singh College of Engineering and Technology, Bathinda-151001, India.
2Department of Physics, Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar-144001, India.
3Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar-144001, India.
Accepted 9 June, 2011
Concentration of uranium was assessed in ground water samples taken from hand pumps at different areas from Bhiwani, Hisar, Fatehabad and Sirsa districts of Western Haryana, India. Fission track registration technique was used to estimate the uranium content in water samples. Uranium content in the water ranges from 6.37 μg/L (Sirsa) to 43.31 μg/L (Bhiwani) with an average value of 19.14 μg/L for the study area. Uranium concentration in all the studied samples were above the recommended value of 1.9 μg/L (ICRP, 1993) but most of the values were comparable to the safe limit of 15 μg/L (WHO, 2008). In only 15% of the samples, recorded values that were higher than the recommended level of 30 μg/L (USEPA, 2003). The results of the measurements could be of vital in radio-epidemiological assessment, diagnosis and prognosis of uranium induced diseases in the local population of the area under investigation.

lrburdak
August 26th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Mr Anurag has started a very relevant thread. Apart from reasons mentioned above one of the reason of contamination of drinking water is excessive exploitation of ground water and subsequent lowering of water table.

anuragsunda
August 28th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I have pasted more data which are precisely showing Uranium concentration (μg/L) in Ground Water Sample.......

Fatehabad district
1 Ratia 18.13± 0.12
2 Dadam 17.42 ± 0.13
3 Badalgam 16.32±0.14
4 Fatehabad 15.43 ± 0.12
5 Bhundrawas 10.19±0.15
Bhiwani district
6 Biran 19.72 ± 0.15
7 Bapora 20.13 ± 0.20
8 Tosham 38.43 ± 0.14
9 Riwasa 24.43±0.14
10 Baliyal 33.35±0.14
11 Khanak 19.32± 0.13
12 Bhiwani 43.31± 0.13*
13 Jamalpur 26.28± 0.12
Hisar district
14 Panjuana 9.23±0.13
15 Hisar 11.17±0.14
16 Kheri 13.42 ± 0.16
17 Sat road 17.44 ± 0.21
18 Ladwa 12.24 ± 0.23
Sirsa district
19 Vaidwala 11.78± 0.15
20 kingre 24.93± 0.22
21 Sikandurpura 14.33± 0.11
22 Panniwala Ruldu 17.03± 0.13
23 Sirsa 6.37±0.17

thukrela
August 28th, 2011, 07:45 PM
thank you very much anurag bhai

anuragsunda
August 31st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Today Govt. is looking to Pass Nuclear Safety Bill in Parliament after one year completion of Nuclear disaster in JAPAN. Now they had started to care of Nuclear/Radiation disaster...........but remember India has 4 Nuclear Power Reactor running for long time.

No any protocol, safety precaution adopted for their nuclear waste and so on.
Mining of Nuclear Fuel (Uranium and Thorium) is not paid proper attention in order to its worst effect on nearest environment/people.
No any Investigation has been done by geologist and scientist yet.
My main concern is, You can't see radiation which can cause of your death. It work like a Nuclear Weapon.

rkumar
September 1st, 2011, 10:54 PM
very good topic. Because of excessive exploitation of ground water, there are lots of heavy metals present in our drinking water. Radiation level s only one of the issues which contributes towards cancer. Uranium concentration is certainly a big issue. Though we talk of safe radiation levels, in reality there is nothing like safe level. Major problem comes when we are dealing with pregnant mothers. Embryos are very sensitive to radiation. Young kids are extremely sensitive. Increaded amount of Uranium in ground water certainly contributes to cancer, more so when we have so many other risk factors also present.

RK^2

anuragsunda
October 25th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I am very much disappointed when I see that Interest of most of the people in threads like love, politics ......etc. But no one is interested for looking in the matter which belong to their lives and lives of our future generation in Rajasthan, punjab and Hariyana. I thought that Jatland could be a good platform to increase awareness about radiation in ground water but I think it might not be worth.

Scientists of USA are so much worried about water-depletion due to radiation in Ground Water. Matthew Rodell, Isabella Velicogna & James S. Famiglietti published letter article in Nature Letter (doi:10.1038/nature08238) "Satellite-based estimates of groundwater depletion in India".

Bisky
October 25th, 2011, 11:41 PM
It should be alarming message for everyone and Mr. Anurag, our brother, has started to raise this issue for welfare of the rest of community, at least we can debate on behalf of him and can help him carrying some load out of him.
Thanx.

deshi-jat
October 26th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Anurag,
I appreciate your concerns. But how come radiation could lead to water depletion? Also paper you have cited only talks about groundwater depletion. No where it says that radioactive contamination is cause of groundwater depletion or level of radiation is high in nothern states.

Scientists of USA are so much worried about water-depletion due to radiation in Ground Water. Matthew Rodell, Isabella Velicogna & James S. Famiglietti published letter article in Nature Letter (doi:10.1038/nature08238) "Satellite-based estimates of groundwater depletion in India".

anuragsunda
October 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM
:)Krishan,
Sorry for a mistake in my earlier post where I mentioned "water-depletion due to radiation in Ground Water" instead of "Increase in presence of radiation in ground water due to water-depletion".

In Nature letter, Authors make a attempt to show hyper increase in water-depletion in Rajasthan, Haryana and Punjab.
NASA's gravity recovery and climate experiment (GRACE) may provide an alternative means for monitoring groundwater changes, via satellite remote sensing. That terrestrial water storage changes are likely to be detectable by GRACE satellites has been demonstrated by prior studies. This investigation builds on those studies by evaluating the potential for isolating changes in the groundwater component of terrestrial water storage.

anuragsunda
October 26th, 2011, 11:55 AM
It should be alarming message for everyone and Mr. Anurag, our brother, has started to raise this issue for welfare of the rest of community, at least we can debate on behalf of him and can help him carrying some load out of him.
Thanx.

Thanks Pradeep,
But my concern is not related to any load or things like that which you have quoted. My main worry is only that, We (North Indian) are not taking care of our neighbor environment which is effected by radiation in sense of nuclear testing, Nuclear fuel (Major). Whereas Government is not able to defend itself from question raised by people of Kudankulam (Tamilnadu) on safety parameters.

anuragsunda
October 26th, 2011, 12:09 PM
This Article titled "Radon monitoring in groundwater of some areas of Himachal
Pradesh and Punjab states, India"
by Vivek Walia,* B. S. Bajwa and H. S. Virk J. Environ. Monit., 2003, 5, 122-125

tells that with increase in water depth, the concentration of Radon (Radioactive) increases.
The largest fraction of the natural radiation exposure we receive comes from a radioactive gas, radon. Radon monitoring has become a global phenomenon due to its health hazard. More than 55% radiation dose delivered to human kind on this globe from all natural sources is due to radon alone. Radon is emitted from uranium, a naturally occurring mineral in rocks and soil; thus, radon is present virtually everywhere on the earth, but particularly over land. Although it cannot be detected by a person’s senses, radon and its radioactive by-products are a health concern because they can cause lung cancer when inhaled over long
durations.

Concluding remark from above paper-
"* Radon concentration is usually much higher in groundwater than in surface water. The observed values of radon
concentration in groundwaters of different areas of districts of
Himachal Pradesh and Punjab states are within the international recommended limit and hence safe for drinking.
* There is no correlation of radon concentration with high uranium content in groundwater of Bathinda district. The area
needs further investigation using sophisticated analytical techniques for estimation of uranium and radium content of
groundwater."