PDA

View Full Version : Why do people look down on farmers???

deshi-jat
November 28th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Our ancestors were farmers, and most of us live in the heart of India’s grain bowl. I cannot see why people think that a farmer is always poor, uneducated, and unable to understand market, economy, science, international affairs, etc. I cannot understand why urbanites believe that farmers are ignorant bumpkins.

TV channels, commercials, print media, movies, all are dedicated to promote the city life as best lifestyle and a literate person's lifestyle, in reality it seems very artificial to me. Children of farmers are brainwashed to think that maybe they are idiots who really should get away from agriculture and rural life, and do something else to have a proper life.

I am just wondering. Hope you guys won't mind

rakeshsehrawat
November 28th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Our ancestors were farmers, and so I am. I cannot see why people think that a farmer is always poor, uneducated, and unable to understand market, economy, science, international affairs, etc. I cannot understand why urbanites believe that farmers are ignorant bumpkins.
TV channels, commercials, print media, movies, all are dedicated to promote the city life as best lifestyle and a literate person's lifestyle, in reality it seems very artificial to me. Children of farmers are brainwashed to think that maybe they are idiots who really should get away from agriculture and rural life, and do something else to have a proper life.

Is this your assumption only or some bitter experiences?

preetikhatri
November 28th, 2011, 01:17 PM
well krishanji
its upto(WRONG) perception of the person who thinks farmer as low profile.
*70 % of our population belongs to villages
and agriculture was MAJOR professions a few years bck
URBAN sectors are EMERGED out of villages.
how can one say an extension is alwys better.
IN TODAYS era technology,internet etc etc are available to each sector of country
SIRF KAPDE PAHNNE SE KOI URBAN ya LOGICAL YA INTELLEGENT NAHI BAN JATA
"INTELLEGENCE LIES IN genes N HARD WORK"

VikrantChodhary
November 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Every-one looks down on POOR. No Astonishment.

Farmers are POOR.

POORNESS among them is due to government control on their produce ( Agricultural OUTPUT ) FULL STOP

Prikshit
November 28th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Our ancestors were farmers, and so I am. I cannot see why people think that a farmer is always poor, uneducated, and unable to understand market, economy, science, international affairs, etc. I cannot understand why urbanites believe that farmers are ignorant bumpkins.

Thanks for starting a thread of great relevance, I agree to you to the most of it. People do have such notions about farmers,
but if you say they are overlooked is something I don't agree in complete. As all of us knows it very well that Agriculture
is a contributor to our economy. So, such perception that people involved in agriculture are useless or socially unaware of
things is baseless. Common belief which gives birth to such thinking is that only those people who have no education or
less education do farming. Today Social media, various networking sites keep you updated of almost every event happening
in the world. As all names are good likewise all professions are good(ofcourse not the illegal ones). In my opinion this profession
should be respected like any other profession.
Krishan is a live example as he have more knowlegde as many of us have, so the stereotypes notions should be changed and if someone
from the farmer fraternity shares his/her knowledge should not be taken as a surprise. Please correct me where I am wrong

As one's zeal decides the amount of knowledge one posseses.

urmiladuhan
November 28th, 2011, 06:10 PM

After meeting people like you on JL I certainly don't think so.

ravinderjeet
November 28th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks for starting a thread of great relevance, I agree to you to the most of it. People do have such notions about farmers,

stereotypes notions will change but you must control the media.There are some cast in Indian society ,who look down farmers and farming activities. Wherein there business ,services and livelihood depends on farming.

JSRana
November 28th, 2011, 07:46 PM
but if you say they are overlooked is something I don't agree in complete. As all of us knows it very well that Agriculture
is a contributor to our economy. So, such perception that people involved in agriculture are useless or socially unaware of
things is baseless. Common belief which gives birth to such thinking is that only those people who have no education or
less education do farming. Today Social media, various networking sites keep you updated of almost every event happening
in the world. As all names are good likewise all professions are good(ofcourse not the illegal ones). In my opinion this profession
should be respected like any other profession.
Krishan is a live example as he have more knowlegde as many of us have, so the stereotypes notions should be changed and if someone
from the farmer fraternity shares his/her knowledge should not be taken as a surprise. Please correct me where I am wrong

As one's zeal decides the amount of knowledge one posseses.

You are very right Prikshit that stereotype notions must be changed but let us find out
how many of us so called educated/advanced people are practically involved in our ancestral business and vice verse how many of those who are actively involved in farming sector are able to update themselves through all these available means. How many of us did truly believe that Krishan Ji is a typical farmer having exceptional knowledge on various non agricultural subjects ? At least I thought that we are interacting with another disguised scholar who does not want his true identity to be disclosed.

To me Krishan ji is one of the rarest cases where he is actively involved in farming and continue possessing multi dimensional knowledge.

With Thanks.

mandeep333
November 28th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Our ancestors were farmers, and so I am. I cannot see why people think that a farmer is always poor, uneducated, and unable to understand market, economy, science, international affairs, etc. I cannot understand why urbanites believe that farmers are ignorant bumpkins. I am just wondering. Hope you guys won't mind[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]TV channels, commercials, print media, movies, all are dedicated to promote the city life as best lifestyle and a literate person's lifestyle, in reality it seems very artificial to me. Children of farmers are brainwashed to think that maybe they are idiots who really should get away from agriculture and rural life, and do something else to have a proper life.
[SIZE=3]Dear Krishan
You are right to some extent. People often look down upon farmers. Farmers are of two types:-
1. Landless farmers
2. Marginal & Landlord farmers.
Majority of farmers is Landless & Marginal. Now the urban society has nothing to do with any farmers. So far as the Print or electronic Media is concerned don't bother about them as most of them are undereducated, under-qualified, haughty, disdainful guys. They depict farmers as if they have done great research on farmers. So care a damn about them. Enjoy your life meaningfully & contribute to society the best in you!!! If you own land you are already millionaire, friend. It depends upon farming community to have their self-esteem by leading good hygienic life.

Dagar25
November 28th, 2011, 08:56 PM
"Our ancestors were farmers, and so I am. I cannot see why people think that a farmer is always poor, uneducated, and unable to understand market, economy, science, international affairs, etc. I cannot understand why urbanites believe that farmers are ignorant bumpkins.

I am just wondering. Hope you guys won't mind "

Urban people dont know the value of farming? They get bread by just purchasing it from shop. It is only farmer who knows how much efforts are put to make a roti?
"bhai khet bon tai le kai katan taayi itne tante hai bas bujho matna".

Children are not encouraged to adopt farming as this profession is not promoted properly by government. There is not enough scope for earning in this profession.
Farming is a science and the concept of EDUCATED FARMERS should be developed and highlighted. Agriculture science should be introduced in colleges for those who wish to enroll in this course. Education can make them not only an educated farmer but at the same time a good businesman too if they wish to..Today due to lack of awareness....some of our fellow farmers use pesticides and too much urea which is not good for health. Educating farmers is in the interest of Urban class too as they eat what is grown by farmers.

Farmers can enter in business by making their produce ready for the final consumers. Food industry is a big industry today and there is a packaged food( concept adopted from west) concept developing in india. This way they will get the full compensation for their efforts which is as of now being taken away by mediaters.

When farmers would become educated......The urban ppl would also start respecting farmers. Remember.....some JATS who have become richer and settled in cities keep distance from JATS who reside in villages.....

Dagar25
November 28th, 2011, 08:57 PM
"Our ancestors were farmers, and so I am. I cannot see why people think that a farmer is always poor, uneducated, and unable to understand market, economy, science, international affairs, etc. I cannot understand why urbanites believe that farmers are ignorant bumpkins.

I am just wondering. Hope you guys won't mind "

brother Krishan.....m son of a farmer..I also think like that...in delhi farmers dont get any respect...Despite being the original residents of delhi....we have not yet gotten any recognition in delhi. Some even dont know the fact that farming is happening in a large part of delhi.....probably they have not yet visited outer delhi. I think Outer delhi is the large part of delhi. It is so big that 5 mega sub cities can be developed in this neglected part of delhi. Farming is done on this part but now there is no scope left for agriculture due to lack of adequate irrigation facilities.

upendersingh
November 28th, 2011, 11:58 PM
खेती एक बहुत ही महान और प्राचीन पेशा है. एक बार को डॉक्टर, इंजीनियर, आई.टी. विशेषज्ञों इत्यादि और अन्य तथाकथित पढ़े-लिखे लोगों के बिना ये दुनिया चल जाएगी, लेकिन किसानों के बिना 1 हफ्ते भी नहीं चलेगी. पानी के बाद इंसान की सबसे बड़ी जरूरत भोजन है. प्राकृतिक रूप से उगने वाले फल और मांस इतनी तादाद में नहीं हैं कि इस दुनिया को लंबे समय तक चला सकें. जो कम अक्ल के लोग होते हैं, वे ही किसानों को हिकारत भरी नजर से देखते हैं. कोई भी समझदार आदमी किसान को हिकारत भरी नजर से नहीं देखेगा.

खेती एक बहुत ही चुनौतीपूर्ण काम है. इसका झटका झेलने के लिए फौलाद का सीना होना चाहिए. 11-12 साल की उम्र तक मैं गांव में ही रहा हूं. मुझे याद है कुनबे में मेरा बाबा था. वो खेत में से लाठी जितने लंबे सांप मार-मारकर लाता था और फिर सब बच्चों को लाकर दिखाता था. रात को जब कई बार पानी पे जाता था तो उसकी खाट के चारों तरफ सांप आ जाते थे, कई सांप तो बदला लेने के लिए आ जाते थे. कई बार डकैत आ जाते थे. गेहूं उठने के समय सब किसानों को डर लगा रहता है बारिश का...किसी-किसी साल बारिश ठीक से न हो तो छोटे किसानों के लिए समस्या खड़ी हो जाती है...कई बार फसल खराब हो जाती है...कहने का मतलब यह कि खेती का झटका झेलना हर किसी के बस की बात नहीं है.
वैसे किसान के पास ठीक-ठाक जमीन और घर-बार है तो उसे कोई हिकारत भरी नजर से नहीं देखता. हरियाणा, पंजाब और पश्चिमी उत्तर प्रदेश में तो खास तौर पर एक से बढ़कर एक बड़े रुतबे वाला किसान मिल जाएगा. हमारे गांव में मैं बचपन से ही देखता आ रहा हूं, अधिकतर किसानों का बहुत अच्छा रुतबा है. उस समय फोर्ड ट्रैक्टर जिसके पास होता था तो उसका रुतबा ऐसा होता था जैसे शहर में किसी के पास मर्सडीज वाले का होता है. आजकल होलैंड और सोनालिका आदि को फोर्ड से ज्यादा अच्छा मानते हैं किसान. बढ़िया नीला ट्रैक्टर, बढ़िया हथियार, सफ़ेद कुरता-पाजामा, गांव में प्रधानी का चुनाव लड़ना और अब तो बहुत से घरों में कार, कलर टी.वी., फ्रिज, यहां तक कि ए.सी. होना भी कोई बड़ी बात नहीं रह गए हैं. ये सब चीजें किसान को कोई ऐरा-गैर आदमी बनाकर पेश नहीं करतीं. कुनबे में मेरा भाई लगता है. उसके नाम 70 बीघे जमीन आती है (जिसकी कीमत बैठती है लगभग ढाई करोड़ रुपए). 8 लाख की स्कॉर्पियो कार ले रहा है. ऐसा ही कुछ यहां के अन्य सदस्यों के घरों/कुनबों में भी होगा (जो गांव से जुड़े हैं).
दरअसल गांव में एक विचार बहुत पहले से अपनी जड़ें जमाए हुए है कि खेती में क्या रखा है. यही कारण है कि मैं बहुत से ऐसे जाट देख चुका, जिनके नाम गांव में अच्छी-खासी जमीन होती है, इसके बावजूद वे शहर में कोई मामूली नौकरी करना और किराए पर रहना मंजूर कर लेते हैं. दरअसल गांव में ही कुछ ऐसा माहौल है कि युवक एक-दूसरे को चिढाते हैं कि 'अक रै बस रह ग्या गाम का गाम मैं इ...तू भी कुछ नी बा...' ऐसी सोच गांव में खेती के प्रति तिरस्कारपूर्ण माहौल पेश करती है.
इस दुनिया की एक सोच बहुत ही निर्मम है. इस दुनिया में ऐसा काम करने वालों को ज्यादा तरजीह नहीं दी जाती, जिसे कोई भी कर ले. खेती को भी ऐसा ही काम समझा जाता है. इस दुनिया में ज्यादा सम्मान उसी को मिलता है जो कुछ ऐसा कर सके जिसे कोई और न कर सके या फिर ज्यादा लोग न कर सकें. इसके बावजूद ये सारा संसार एक-दूसरे की सेवा कर रहा है. सबका मकसद अपने जीवन को सुखपूर्वक पूरा करना है. एक जूता सीलने वाले के बिना भी ये दुनिया परेशान हो जाएगी, फिर खेती करके लोगों का पेट भरने का इंतजाम करने वाले किसान की अहमियत की तो बात ही क्या करें...कोई भी इंसान सारे काम नहीं करता, न ही कर सकता...सब अलग-अलग काम करके एक-दूसरे की सेवा कर रहे हैं...सारे ही काम जरूरी हैं (कुछेक बुरे कामों को छोड़कर)...

upendersingh
November 29th, 2011, 12:15 AM
वैसे तो ये गीत मजदूरों के संदर्भ में है, लेकिन मेहनतकश किसानों पर भी सटीक बैठता है...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVCvQqqgqFg

deshi-jat
November 29th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Dear Rakesh, Urmila & Jagbir,

I am talking about society in general, not any person in particular. Actually, first sentence in OP wasn’t proper, I have edited it

urmiladuhan
November 29th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Our ancestors were farmers, and most of us live in the heart of India’s grain bowl. I cannot see why people think that a farmer is always poor, uneducated, and unable to understand market, economy, science, international affairs, etc. I cannot understand why urbanites believe that farmers are ignorant bumpkins.

It is a stereotypical thinking. The same way why many men in this grain bowl still think that women should not be driving/working in offices etc. Unless this thinking is removed (by active participation of farmers/women etc), it is hard for it to be erased.

By the way: who is responsible for this stereotypical thinking in the society? - I think it is the farmer himself/herself.

Samarkadian
November 29th, 2011, 11:58 AM

देसी जाट भाई ,

ये समझना इतना कठिन भी नहीं है ! जब अंग्रेजो के वायस राय लार्ड मैकाले ने गुलाम भारत में शिक्षा पद्धति शुरू की थी तब उनका उदेश्य यही था की यहाँ कि प्राचीन एवं समृद्ध परम्पराओं को अंग्रेजी शिक्षा एवं परम्परा से शनै शनै बदल देंगे ! दुर्भाग्यवश या भाग्यवश उन्होंने ये कर दिखाया ! अंग्रेजी जीवन पद्धति , शिक्षा एवं चमड़ी को श्रेष्ठ बता कर , दर्शा कर , पढ़ा कर हमारे आत्म - सम्मान एवं आत्म विश्वाश को इस सीमा तक लाया गया कि हम उन्हें श्रेष्ठतम का दर्ज़ा देने लेगे और अंतत: उस जीवन पद्धति , शिक्षा को आत्मसात कर लिया ! अब हमारी अपनी कोई प्रसिद्ध एवं प्रचलित शिक्षा पद्धति नहीं है ! आपका प्रश्न के उत्तर का मूल मुझे यही समझ आता है ! संक्षेप में शहरी जनसँख्या एक तरह से लार्ड मैकाले कि सच्ची संतान है और ग्रामीण जनसख्या , किसानो; जो कि लार्ड मैकाले से कम प्रभावित हुई , को ऐसा समझ कर वो वही दर्शा रहे हैं जैसा लार्ड मैकाले चाहता था !

चूँकि वर्तमान युग उपभोक्ता वाद का युग है और यह बढता ही जाएगा ! मीडिया ने गत: पचास वर्षो में इसी उपभोक्तावाद को बढाया है और कामयाबी के साथ बढाया है ! असल में टी वी , रेडियो और अन्य साधन विज्ञापन के लिए ही बने है ! विज्ञापन प्राथमिक है एवं कार्यक्रम गौण है ! ! अब एक चीज़ को अगर सैकड़ो बार दर्शाया , सुनाया जाए तो अपनी सी लगती है और लोग उसको ग्रहण कर लेते है !चेतन तथा अवचेतन स्तर पर इसका गहरा प्रभाव पड़ता है यही आपके दुसरे प्रश्न का उत्तर मुझे समझ आता है !

दोनों का मूल यह है कि किसी दुसरे व्यक्ति के आत्म सम्मान को किसी भी माध्यम से ( आज के समय में टी . वी , रेडियो , इन्टरनेट , समाचार पत्र , पत्रिकाए इत्यादि ) किसी काल्पनिक वास्तु या विचारधारा से बड़ा कर के दिखा दो , अपने आप उस व्यक्ति का विस्वाश अपनी विचारधारा या विश्वास से उठ कर दूसरी और हो जाएगा !

इसीलिए जो हम देखते ,सुनते, पढ़ते हैं उस पर एक दम विश्वाश नहीं करना चाहिए! अधिकतर समय वो एक किसी संस्था या विचारधारा का अद्रश्य प्रचार होता है !

urmiladuhan
November 29th, 2011, 06:45 PM

TV channels, commercials, print media, movies, all are dedicated to promote the city life as best lifestyle and a literate person's lifestyle, in reality it seems very artificial to me. Children of farmers are brainwashed to think that maybe they are idiots who really should get away from agriculture and, and do something else to have a proper life.

I think the definition of what is a "proper life" varies from person to person - what are the person's needs. A person who is clear about what his/her real needs are would not be influenced by the lifestyle choices other people make for themselves.
Maybe you have seen the urban and modern life and now you are at a stage where you have come to a decision - but for those who have not yet experienced city life and are constantly bombarded by media etc telling them how much fun the other lifestyle is, they want to see it for themselves. If educated and well travelled people like yourself start adopting the simple and straightforward rural culture - that would underscore the real worth of the rural culture. It would also neutralize media's negative influence on rural people.

Rajkamal
November 29th, 2011, 06:59 PM

Bhaisahab mai kheti kaa kaam bhi smbhaaalu hoo ar naukri bhi karu hoo har friday raat ko gaon me jaake apne khet sambhaalta hoo and I proud to be farmer more than an engineer. Ar wo jo kisaan ne neecha dhekhe hai unke samajh me yaa baat baad do ak unka khaan ka naaj use aadmi ke taan aa ryaaa hai naa te pet me gode de ke bhookh me mar jyaaange.

DrRajpalSingh
December 19th, 2011, 11:27 PM

Dear Friend,

it is said that there is nothing good or bad but thinking makes it so. the media or city and town dwellers also know that barring the hard toiling farmers, none could give them bread and butter. Then it is their moral duty to extend respect to our respected Annadatta. If the farmer is not educated, it would be a fallacy to consider him ignorant or backward in any way. The farmer has been tenaciously clinging to his ancestral Khets and none can separate them from their holdings.
His self respect should never be targetted, rather we must salute them for their preservance, sense of dignity of labour and patriotism!

Fateh
December 20th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Due to lack of unity and simplicity of farmermers, people look down on farmers.

vksirohi
December 20th, 2011, 04:11 PM
दरअसल गांव में एक विचार बहुत पहले से अपनी जड़ें जमाए हुए है कि खेती में क्या रखा है. यही कारण है कि मैं बहुत से ऐसे जाट देख चुका, जिनके नाम गांव में अच्छी-खासी जमीन होती है, इसके बावजूद वे शहर में कोई मामूली नौकरी करना और किराए पर रहना मंजूर कर लेते हैं. दरअसल गांव में ही कुछ ऐसा माहौल है कि युवक एक-दूसरे को चिढाते हैं कि 'अक रै बस रह ग्या गाम का गाम मैं इ...तू भी कुछ नी बा...' ऐसी सोच गांव में खेती के प्रति तिरस्कारपूर्ण माहौल पेश करती है.
इस दुनिया की एक सोच बहुत ही निर्मम है. इस दुनिया में ऐसा काम करने वालों को ज्यादा तरजीह नहीं दी जाती, जिसे कोई भी कर ले. खेती को भी ऐसा ही काम समझा जाता है. इस दुनिया में ज्यादा सम्मान उसी को मिलता है जो कुछ ऐसा कर सके जिसे कोई और न कर सके या फिर ज्यादा लोग न कर सकें. इसके बावजूद ये सारा संसार एक-दूसरे की सेवा कर रहा है. सबका मकसद अपने जीवन को सुखपूर्वक पूरा करना है. एक जूता सीलने वाले के बिना भी ये दुनिया परेशान हो जाएगी, फिर खेती करके लोगों का पेट भरने का इंतजाम करने वाले किसान की अहमियत की तो बात ही क्या करें...कोई भी इंसान सारे काम नहीं करता, न ही कर सकता...सब अलग-अलग काम करके एक-दूसरे की सेवा कर रहे हैं...सारे ही काम जरूरी हैं (कुछेक बुरे कामों को छोड़कर)...

101% sahi baat keh bhai Upender Singh. kati ji sa laga diya thare lekh ne...

urmiladuhan
November 5th, 2013, 09:42 PM

Coz perhaps they see a reflection of themselves in others.

dhanthaakar
November 6th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Jaats have always been historically at the frontline of freedom and making their mark.

Upon azaadi the brits gave power to brahmin classes. I find it very strange the ELite class copy ENglish because these so called rich folk do not have an identity of their own to be proud of.

I live in ENgland the British Indian community of Punjabis gujratis benglas pandits sindhi hindus all retain their own culture, standard, spiritual faith dimensions, family systems.

I look at these Indian drama serials and am surprised at the level of the way City dwellers and rich folk imitate Western Culture. Once you step outside India you are known by the colour of your skin. They do not care how much Queens ENglish you speak, or what trousers you wear.

So keep your flag flying high proud. This blood your Forefathers gave in generations before flows inside you.