PDA

View Full Version : India is a Vigorous Democracy

DrRajpalSingh
January 12th, 2012, 11:09 AM
It is admitted that even after having faced so many challenges over the years, India has emerged as a vigorous, even if noisy at times, democracy. Things do move here but at their own pace. Sooner or later, good sense does prevail.

Kindly suggest steps to make it as one of the strongest democracy of the contemporary world.

Arvindc
January 12th, 2012, 12:02 PM
First step: Put a sensible government at the center.

Second Step: Execute first step again and again until it becomes a habit.

Third Step: Relax and enjoy life, you have delegated the work to a sensible government, you just need to keep a watch.

vicky84
February 2nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
India's challenge: to show that freedom can outdo tyranny

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/indias-challenge-to-show-that-freedom-can-outdo-tyranny-20130201-2dq21.html#ixzz2JiuzVoru

swaich
February 2nd, 2013, 03:26 PM
First step: Put a sensible government at the center.

Second Step: Execute first step again and again until it becomes a habit.

Third Step: Relax and enjoy life, you have delegated the work to a sensible government, you just need to keep a watch.

When the first step itself is highly subjective to individual preferences, one can hardly relax. :)

Fateh
February 2nd, 2013, 03:51 PM
It is admitted that even after having faced so many challenges over the years, India has emerged as a vigorous, even if noisy at times, democracy. Things do move here but at their own pace. Sooner or later, good sense does prevail.

Kindly suggest steps to make it as one of the strongest democracy of the contemporary world.
Dr Rajpal, the fact is that there is no democracy in India, the country is ruled by caste ism, religion ism, area ism, favourat ism, goonda ism and selfishness, the God/The Nature pulling and keeping things alive with lot of efforts and heavy cost.we are ruled by uneducated, greedy and selfish dictators who are not even responsible for their sins. However, following are must--
a) Rule of law for all
b) sense of responsibility by all
c) self discipline by all
d) nationalism instead of all other ism mentioned above
e) Education for all
f) sense of equality, fairness and respect for law/traditions/humanity
g)Proper democratic system for & with in all political parties
h) Respect for human life but system and law must be above a person
i) Every one must get natural justice at the earliest possible
regards

vicky84
February 4th, 2013, 02:42 AM
We have democracy but may not be a complete democracy. For example denial of right to protest. After exposing Sheila Dikshit govt 's corruption in power sector, Arvind Kezriwal tried to protest against the incumbent government but he has been denied to protest. Lets see if fundamentals of democracy survive and thrive in India. So many people have put high stakes on democracy in India. They often say, comparing China, India's fundamentals are strong. Democracy in India will prove that !

rekhasmriti
February 4th, 2013, 02:56 AM
Indeed it is democracy ----
we all are free to say whatever anything logical-illogical , facts -no facts against government .

No offence to kejriwal followers----har weekend toh usne protest karna hota hai , aaj kal shanti hai bas .

With population like ours and many other religion caste issues- we r doing good . I guess no other country is doing better than us which is in same situation like us .
However there is always scope of improvement . What I believe in :
Every individual do their own work with honesty and hard work . Sara desh aise hi sudhar jayega . At the end of day we all are responsible for ourselves .

So its my Ownership .

vicky84
February 4th, 2013, 03:04 AM
No offence to kejriwal followers----har weekend toh usne protest karna hota hai , aaj kal shanti hai bas .

Media is not covering him much nowadays than it used to. There are high chances that Kezriwal's sensationalist approach may not work in future!

rekhasmriti
February 4th, 2013, 03:10 AM
"Media is not covering him much nowadays than it used to"

Again no offence to K followers , media bhi bore ho gayee roz roz ke drame se . Although Kejriwal ke jhuloos nikalte rehte hai in many towns .

may not work in future!

I can bet , it would never work .
And If it does -----ho gaya 7th ajooba toh ------I would loose my faith on intelligence of my fellow indians

vicky84
February 4th, 2013, 03:15 AM
may not work in future!

And If it does -----ho gaya 7th ajooba toh ------I would loose my faith on intelligence of my fellow indians

Yep, I believe the same.

rskankara
February 4th, 2013, 05:51 AM
I feel our problem is too much democracy..... freedom to do all that whatever suits to us on the name of democratic rights...
To set right... we need

nationalism
sense of responsibility
contribution in nation building - by paying tax, working , social service etc ...
abide by rules and law of land...
Compulsory education to all.......
Food, health care, home and work to all.... and
Bit dictatorship rigidness/firmness in democracy ....

Fateh
February 4th, 2013, 07:22 AM
First of all we have to understand what is democracy, we all know that officially and on papers we have democratic governing system, but what is practiced on ground, what is system of execution, take example of four pillars of democracy-legislative, executive, judiciary and media, we know as to how tickets to fight elections are given, how elections are conducted, how ministers are made, is there any democracy in political parties which ultimately rule the country, is discussion in rules making institutions and the complete process of making rules, is democratic in practice, who appoints the staff of election commission, UPSC, various courts etc, is media really free, is there any rule of law existing in our country, is any of these four pillars or for that matter any institution free from the influence of caste, religion, area etc, do not you think might is a major player in our system and is always considered right,yes, here one is free to stretch his hands as much as he can without any consideration to such right of other person(here grass is free to grow as much as it can and donkey is free to eat as much as it can), we have system of party rule, there is no democracy in any party and practically one person control the party, even no MP/MLA can raise point or support a point against party line/decision, And here discussion is not to compare our democracy with others, regards

vicky84
February 4th, 2013, 07:51 AM
First of all we have to understand what is democracy, we all know that officially and on papers we have democratic governing system, but what is practiced on ground, what is system of execution, take example of four pillars of democracy-legislative, executive, judiciary and media, we know as to how tickets to fight elections are given, how elections are conducted, how ministers are made, is there any democracy in political parties which ultimately rule the country, is discussion in rules making institutions and the complete process of making rules, is democratic in practice, who appoints the staff of election commission, UPSC, various courts etc, is media really free, is there any rule of law existing in our country, is any of these four pillars or for that matter any institution free from the influence of caste, religion, area etc, do not you think might is a major player in our system and is always considered right,yes, here one is free to stretch his hands as much as he can without any consideration to such right of other person(here grass is free to grow as much as it can and donkey is free to eat as much as it can), we have system of party rule, there is no democracy in any party and practically one person control the party, even no MP/MLA can raise point or support a point against party line/decision, And here discussion is not to compare our democracy with others, regards

Democracy is there but not a true democracy!

rskankara
February 4th, 2013, 08:30 AM
आजकल डेमोक्रेसी के नाम पर मीडिया हाउस(प्रिंट एवं इलेक्ट्रोनिक) भी सरकार की खूब बाह मरोड़ते है...आज अगर गलत तरीके से बनाया हुआ पैसा है, तो उसे बचाने के लिए एक चेनल जरूर खोलते है ... जिसमे सरकार के हर गिने-चुने अच्छे-भले काम की भी खूब निंदा की जाती है और कुछ हम जैसे socalled एक्स्पर्ट्स को भी paid सर्विस के लिए बुलाया जाता है जो पानी पी-पीकर आजकल सुबह-शाम टीवी पर सरकार या ब्यवस्था को गाली देने का काम खूब कर रहे है, वह बिना किसी सोल्यूशंन के...... यह डेमोक्रेसी ही तो है ... ,
सवाल यह है की समाज-संरचना के ताने-बाने मे क्या संभव है और उसे करने के लिए क्या दबाव बनाया जाय... सिर्फ सरकार या राजनेताओं को गाली देने के साथ हमे यह भी समझना चाहिए कि सरकार हम से है, हमारे ही भाई-बहिन राज-नेता बन रहे है॥ एजुकेशन साईक्लोजी में कभी पढ़ा था की व्यक्ति से परिवार, परिवार से समाज, और समाज से सरकार...... शायद किताबी बातें....

desijat
February 4th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Only in a democracy can you

1) Criticize the government
2) Call the PM a joke, use fancy words for most influential lady in India
3) Create cartoons on anyone who disagrees with your political leaders
4) Make a mockery of folks who do not speak your language or question you

Decide for yourself, are you or are you not living in a democracy?

Samarkadian
February 4th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Its very easy (yes! it is) to criticise democracy while living in a democracy. However it is just one sided perception of most about its weakness and loopholes but it can only be 'really' criticised when one has experienced the absence of democracy. Degradation of political ideologies,parties and a lack of 'common mass morality' among population is equally responsible for our disbelief in the democracy.

vicky84
February 4th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Its very easy (yes! it is) to criticise democracy while living in a democracy. However it is just one sided perception of most about its weakness and loopholes but it can only be 'really' criticised when one has experienced the absence of democracy. Degradation of political ideologies,parties and a lack of 'common mass morality' among population is equally responsible for our disbelief in the democracy.

I agree with you. Probably we have taken democracy for granted!

DrRajpalSingh
February 4th, 2013, 11:21 PM
In a democracy pressure groups representing the common cause, are able to attract the immediate attention of the government to burning problems of the people to take suitable action in time to avoid further troubles in the way of functioning of the democratic institutions.

This does not happen in dictatorship form of governments.

Look around latest developments and you will have a peep into functioning of our vibrant democracy in action.

Fateh
February 5th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Democracy is there but not a true democracy!
I also meant the same thing, should we call a false democracy as democracy, is there any use of such democracy, should we call such democracy as strong/ vigorous /democracy with full of life, In our country/in our democracy, might is right and the real force behind the so called democratic rule, ruled is afraid of physical force of law enforcing agencies and various laws which are misused by the ruling class and ruler is afraid of revolts by the public and negative voting.when we talk about pressure group than we should not forget that neither such pressure group stand for every wrong nor the Govt agree to all pressures and when things go beyond tolerance than even in dictatorship people do pressure and succeed, We should not forget that even in dictatorship people do talk privately against the ruler and what to talk about criticism people even revolt and stand against the ruler, Here also who so ever raised his voice against the rulers, he/she/organization, get eliminated/silenced by various means sooner or later, I do not hold responsible only our leaders for this false democracy but entire public, frankly speaking our attitude, thinking, imagination and behavior is totally undemocratic, when one knows positive part than only negative aspect can be seen/realized and criticism get generated, Unless one knows the subject well how can he/she talk about its good or bad points, since the post was started with positive part of our democracy by calling it vigorous democracy hence more negative points came from others, my suggestion to few of those extra intelligent and knowledgeable people is that instead of pointing finger towards/criticizing other contributors, they must express about the topic.

vicky84
February 5th, 2013, 06:24 AM
I also meant the same thing, should we call a false democracy as democracy, is there any use of such democracy, should we call such democracy as strong/democracy with full of life, In our country/in our democracy might is right and the real force behind the so called democratic rule, ruled is afraid of physical force of law enforcing agencies and various laws which are misused by the ruling class and ruler is afraid of revolts by the public and negative voting. We should not forget that even in dictatorship people do talk privately against the ruler and what to talk about criticism people even revolt and stand against the ruler, Here also who so ever raised his voice against the rulers, he/she/organization, get eliminated/silenced by various means, I do not hold responsible only our leaders for this false democracy but entire public, frankly speaking our attitude, thinking, imagination and behavior is totally undemocratic, when one knows positive part than only negative aspect can be seen/realized and criticism get generated, Unless one knows the subject well how can he/she talk about its good or bad points, since the post was started with positive part of our democracy by calling it vigorous democracy hence more negative points came from others, my suggestion to few of those extra intelligent and knowledgeable people is that instead of pointing finger towards/criticising other contributors, they must express about the topic.

First of all let me say this. There is no consensus on how to measure democracy. I would not say that India is a vigorous democracy. India is a flawed democracy. Having said that it does not mean that we do not have democracy. We are much better than countries like China where authoritarian rule works. You can still raise your voice against government and can change government by voting. Your freedom is still protected.

PS: Also we should not take our civil liberties for granted. Ask someone from China about the importance of it!!

Fateh
February 5th, 2013, 12:13 PM
First of all let me say this. There is no consensus on how to measure democracy. I would not say that India is a vigorous democracy. India is a flawed democracy. Having said that it does not mean that we do not have democracy. We are much better than countries like China where authoritarian rule works. You can still raise your voice against government and can change government by voting. Your freedom is still protected.

PS: Also we should not take our civil liberties for granted. Ask someone from China about the importance of it!!
Oh, I am sorry, I quoted your line but wrote a general post replying various points of many posts,I know you never said that our democracy is vigorous, so dear relax, I know lot about china and its governing system and we really cannot compare the two,

Arvindc
February 5th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Media is not covering him much nowadays than it used to. There are high chances that Kezriwal's sensationalist approach may not work in future!
Yeah media is not covering, the reason could be that media gets the revenue from corrupt government and business houses.

And yes, his approach, depends upon how one views it, it could be sensational for few and revolutionary for many who believe in him.

Arvindc
February 5th, 2013, 08:26 PM
"Media is not covering him much nowadays than it used to"

Again no offence to K followers , media bhi bore ho gayee roz roz ke drame se . Although Kejriwal ke jhuloos nikalte rehte hai in many towns .

may not work in future!

I wonder what made you think such low on our fellow Indians intelligence. They are one of the finest brains in the world, the problem lies on the execution front.

DrRajpalSingh
February 5th, 2013, 08:42 PM
China is a country ruled by one party, one programme/policy and one leader. Therefore, it cannot be called a democracy where none is allowed to raise a political view against the prevalent strong hold of Communists on all walks of national polity.

In spite of certain constraints and hiccups, India has successfully faced the challenges and its deeply entrenched democratic institutions are envy of many a nation today.

If we see the forms of military regimes or aristocratic to authoritarian types of governments who became free in 1950's and thereafter, the value and importance of our democratic system could easily grasped.

The faults towards which finger is raised in the discussions on the functioning of our polity are not because of democracy but may be segregated by attempting a thorough study of the millieu out which democratic system has ushered in India and then come to modern mature stage.

Nonetheless, the weaknesses in the system are periodically being eliminated and it is hoped that Indian democracy will emerge stronger and vibrant in future too.

Arvindc
February 5th, 2013, 09:48 PM
China is a country ruled by one party, one programme/policy and one leader. Therefore, it cannot be called a democracy where none is allowed to raise a political view against the prevalent strong hold of Communists on all walks of national polity.

In spite of certain constraints and hiccups, India has successfully faced the challenges and its deeply entrenched democratic institutions are envy of many a nation today.

If we see the forms of military regimes or aristocratic to authoritarian types of governments who became free in 1950's and thereafter, the value and importance of our democratic system could easily grasped.

The faults towards which finger is raised in the discussions on the functioning of our polity are not because of democracy but may be segregated by attempting a thorough study of the millieu out which democratic system has ushered in India and then come to modern mature stage.

Nonetheless, the weaknesses in the system are periodically being eliminated and it is hoped that Indian democracy will emerge stronger and vibrant in future too.

This can go to maha chutkala thread.

Kisi ne Jat se puchha tumhara ghar kaisa hai. Jat ne kaha, padosi ke ghar main bahut dararain hain.

Arvindc
February 5th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Courts may not have enough time to hear and decide on rape and murder cases. But they do have time to hear out section 144 of the so called democratic India.

From the news:http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/Print/1007008.aspx

"The law says if the accused appears before the court after filing of charge sheet in such cases, accused should be granted bail. I need atleast a surety. I cannot violate the law of the land," the magistrate said and told the accused that he would conduct an expeditious trial in the case.

In response, Kejriwal told the court that they respect the law of the land but whether to take bail is their right and they have decided not to take bail in the case.

"We respect the law and your (magistrate's) position. Our only weapon is truth and we are on that way only. We deliberately violated Sec 144 and we are ready to face the punishment. We have decided not to seek bail in this case," he said.

Bhushan, an accused in the case, argued that the imposition of Sec 144 by Delhi police was "illegal" and in violation of the orders passed by the Supreme Court.

"The point here is that this (imposition of Sec 144) has become the easiest way for police or the government to harass activists and political opponents...the charge sheet and trial is itself a punishment for us," he said.

Bhushan further said that Sec 144 is a provision which is meant to take care of an emergency situation only.

"How can the police apprehend that there was threat to law and order if we will march to PM's residence? We have been holding protests during our anti corruption movement for a long time and nowhere we have indulged in any violent protest," he said.

desijat
February 5th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Yeah media is not covering, the reason could be that media gets the revenue from corrupt government and business houses.

I differ Arvind.

If it was the money that defined media's love for Kejriwal and Anna then they would not have become such big heroes. Media catches what viewers want to see, When Arvind launched his movement he was on TV channels 24x7, when he went to protest, he was covered extensively but if one becomes repetitive then he loses the steam. And when media stopped paying attention to their attention seeking staged drama and started showing dispersed crowds, one of the finest minds(as per you, Bhushan) threatened the media.

Even Mahatma Gandhi never did such frequent fasts as Anna does and Arvind's situation now is no less than the shepherd who used to shout for help always to fool villagers.

Arvindc
February 5th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I differ Arvind.

If it was the money that defined media's love for Kejriwal and Anna then they would not have become such big heroes. Media catches what viewers want to see, When Arvind launched his movement he was on TV channels 24x7, when he went to protest, he was covered extensively but if one becomes repetitive then he loses the steam. And when media stopped paying attention to their attention seeking staged drama and started showing dispersed crowds, one of the finest minds(as per you, Bhushan) threatened the media.

Even Mahatma Gandhi never did such frequent fasts as Anna does and Arvind's situation now is no less than the shepherd who used to shout for help always to fool villagers.

I am not aware of any media house, who is in media other then for business and money. If you are, please name.

Similarly, I am not aware of any instance where these respectable persons have fooled public. Could you justify your claim with an example?

desijat
February 5th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I am not aware of any media house, who is in media other then for business and money.

What is wrong with that? Private entities are meant to make money and for the same reason they do what they can for TRPs. Arvind's drama was becoming monotonous and people were losing Interest, media would have only been a fool to show something people did not want to see. Also the fact that Bhushan warned media to not to report against them might have cheesed them off as well.

I will just share one instant, rest you can also Google. Kejriwal went to Sangan Vihar to connect electricity of poor people claiming the bills were duped. He made a drama out of the whole situation, broke the law by connected a illegal connection, cheesing off the situation, government. And worst, the poor person whose house he evaded was scared of further action by electricity company, he maid them the space-goat.

All his acts, including the one you mentioned of breaking section 144 are all acts to go to jail and become a martyr to gain sympathy after media stopped covering his monotonous and desperate attempts to gain attention, is not that cheap?

Making allegations and running away, is not that cheap? Why cant he himself go to court like Swamy does? Cause he believes in creating sensation and noise just like dogs who bark behind the running cars with no intention to drive them.

rekhasmriti
February 6th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Yeah u r right .

However what I was trying to say -----its me who is voting-----its me who has chosen MLA/MP-----its me who takes bribe ------its me who gives bribe -----
its me who criticise them ----- its me who make proposals-----its me who execute ( what i heard these politicians know nothing bureaucrats actually make proposals as per their choice )

Indeed we are smartest of all however I still stand by what I say -------I do doubt people including me----we talk a lot but when it comes to voting I forget my own preached GYAN

I wonder what made you think such low on our fellow Indians intelligence. They are one of the finest brains in the world, the problem lies on the execution front.

Fateh
February 6th, 2013, 06:14 AM

Rajpal ji, neither the topic of discussion is the comparison between democracy and dictatorship nor our contention is, Every one knows that democratic form of Govt is batter and that is why it was adopted by us, the point is whether the democracy is functioning here on ground and in real sense, Also, every one knows that fault lies with people for whom this democracy was adopted, fault lies with people who are controlling it, who are using it and who are tolerating it, I am happy that you agree that there are weaknesses which are periodically being eliminated, but do you feel that the speed of weakness elimination process, is correct. I personally feel that the speed of elimination of weaknesses is very very slow and adoption of weaknesses is so fast that one day we may loose the democracy. Fault lies with every Indian, our past experience, lack of education, our attitude, our imagination, our selfishness, effect of various ism etc.I feel seeing the present state of our democracy we cannot call it vigorous/strong/ with full of life.

rskankara
February 6th, 2013, 07:16 AM
It is very true....

काँकड़ा

Fault lies with every Indian, our past experience, lack of education, our attitude, our imagination, our selfishness, effect of various ism etc.