PDA

View Full Version : Uses and Abuses of Social Net-work

DrRajpalSingh
May 14th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Friends,

This is the age of Science. the explosion of the Information Technology has made tremendous strides over the last few years. In the I T Social net working has carved out its own niche and is being used by all irrespective of the age, sex, religion, region and so on. I mean to say, it has cut off all barriers and is making big strides.

But this phenomenal progress of Social Net work is being loved and feared alike by many.

Kindly join us to discuss the uses of and abuses, merits and demerits of Social Net Work.

Regards

nrao
May 14th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Friends,

This is the age of Science. the explosion of the Information Technology has made tremendous strides over the last few years. In the I T Social net working has carved out its own niche and is being used by all irrespective of the age, sex, religion, region and so on. I mean to say, it has cut off all barriers and is making big strides.

But this phenomenal progress of Social Net work is being loved and feared alike by many.

Kindly join us to discuss the uses of and abuses, merits and demerits of Social Net Work.

Regards

This is a very timely question. It seems that use of social media and its prevalence has caught the fancy of most but its effect is not fully understood. I would classify social media as a dual use IT tool. By that I mean it is used for much more than what its users think. It is increasingly used to collect information on users which is used to draw many kinds of inferences and patterns. Its dual use is in its use by intelligence agencies to monitor its usage therefore would caution its users to be judicious, when using it.

No wonder, in India military and security establishment came out against its use early on but not sure they were able to provide an alternative medium in its place. From what I have read, few other countries, such as China and Russia have actually curtailed the use of "outside" social media and are promoting their own social media. In corporate world, the management also encourages use of its own internal social media in place of outside social media like Facebook or LinkedIn.

For me Jatland is a social media, although for a very limited number of users, as well and I feel comfortable here then using any other such social interaction sites. I have accounts on other social media but have not used them for years.

DrRajpalSingh
May 14th, 2012, 05:05 PM
This is a very timely question. It seems that use of social media and its prevalence has caught the fancy of most but its effect is not fully understood. I would classify social media as a dual use IT tool. By that I mean it is used for much more than what its users think. It is increasingly used to collect information on users which is used to draw many kinds of inferences and patterns. Its dual use is in its use by intelligence agencies to monitor its usage therefore would caution its users to be judicious, when using it.

No wonder, in India military and security establishment came out against its use early on but not sure they were able to provide an alternative medium in its place. From what I have read, few other countries, such as China and Russia have actually curtailed the use of "outside" social media and are promoting their own social media. In corporate world, the management also encourages use of its own internal social media in place of outside social media like Facebook or LinkedIn.

For me Jatland is a social media, although for a very limited number of users, as well and I feel comfortable here then using any other such social interaction sites. I have accounts on other social media but have not used them for years.

Friend,

You are right. It is double edged sword and has to be used with caution.

DrRajpalSingh
May 14th, 2012, 10:20 PM

Friend,

The social media Network brings the people across the world on one platform cutting across all types of boundaries and barriers which is a plus point.

But some people use it to spread hatred between men and men, nation and nation and so on through vicious propaganda .

Please come out with your views other perceived uses and abuses.

Regards

deependra
May 15th, 2012, 11:00 PM
This is a good topic, thanks for initiating the discussion on it. Like most of the things, social networking has its pros and cons. One can drive many benefits by using it right way. It can be used for discussions, for sharing, for seeking information and for many other things. We can use it to spread awareness about a social cause; we can request the people to participate and contribute to that. On the other hand, it can be a disastrous tool to persuade the people towards a wrong cause. People can misuse it to dig the personal information.

May be on a different note, but, people have started using it for sharing their hourly activities too like on FB. I get the photos of the dishes people have cooked or they are having in some eatery. It went beyond acceptance when one of the people in my friend list, shared the snap of a plate with half-eaten food, just to convey others that he was having good food…….

Use and misuse of social networking remind me of the lines written by rashtra kavi- Ramdhari Singh Dinkar for the right usage of science-

सावधान मनुष्य! यदि विज्ञानं है तलवार तो दे इसे फ़ेंक, तजकर मोह स्मृति के पार,
हो चुका है सिद्ध, तू है शिशु अभी अज्ञान, खेल सकता नहीं ले हाथ में तलवार..........

DrRajpalSingh
November 29th, 2013, 04:49 PM
This is a good topic, thanks for initiating the discussion on it. Like most of the things, social networking has its pros and cons. One can drive many benefits by using it right way. It can be used for discussions, for sharing, for seeking information and for many other things. We can use it to spread awareness about a social cause; we can request the people to participate and contribute to that. On the other hand, it can be a disastrous tool to persuade the people towards a wrong cause. People can misuse it to dig the personal information.

May be on a different note, but, people have started using it for sharing their hourly activities too like on FB. I get the photos of the dishes people have cooked or they are having in some eatery. It went beyond acceptance when one of the people in my friend list, shared the snap of a plate with half-eaten food, just to convey others that he was having good food…….

Use and misuse of social networking remind me of the lines written by rashtra kavi- Ramdhari Singh Dinkar for the right usage of science-

सावधान मनुष्य! यदि विज्ञानं है तलवार तो दे इसे फ़ेंक, तजकर मोह स्मृति के पार,
हो चुका है सिद्ध, तू है शिशु अभी अज्ञान, खेल सकता नहीं ले हाथ में तलवार..........

The misuse of social media nay net work is the much talked issue among various sections of our society these days . Is social media/net work playing its duty in judicious manner ! The political parties are abusing other parties about its misuse and vice versa.

The views/comments of the participants are invited on the issue.