PDA

View Full Version : Installation : Water Tank Over Flow Alarm.

JSRana
July 1st, 2012, 03:10 PM
Dear Friends installing of Water Tank Over Flow Alarm appeared to me as an expensive and complicated issue until I visited a friends' house and seen it installed. I could not believe that it was such a simple gadget and easy to install for those who have basic skills & knowledge of electricity.

For those who are interested to install it, I would try to explain it in simplest terms as follows :

Task : To Install Overhead Water Tank Overflow Alarm.

Material Required :

1. Water Tank Overflow Alarm ( This is generally available at Electrical Shops at prices starting from Rs 120/- per pc). In case this is not available, a simple 3 Volt DC (2cells)
Door bell along with a switch can be used.

2.Strong insulated Twin Wire of length from top of your overhead tank to Pump Motor starter or switch location.

3. Insulation Tape to cover joints.

4. Plastic wall fasteners (Guitty) with nails/screws.

Tools Required :

1. Phase Tester.

2. Wire Cutter/Pliers.

3. Candle with Match box.

4. Screw driver.

5. Hammer

6. Medium duty Drilling Machine with 4-5 mm drill bit. (This is required only in case of cemented overhead water tanks)

Financial Implication/Cost : Rs 400 to 600 Depending upon distance of your motor SW/Starter to overhead tank and quality of Wire used

Execution/Procedure :

1. Select a suitable place near your Pump Motor starter/switch and fix the alarm unit on the wall with guitty & screw.

2 Join one end of wires to be taken to water tank with two (Short length) wires coming out of alarm unit properly and insulate with tape.

3. Cut the plug from the AC input wire of Alarm unit and remove 4-5 inch of outer insulation of both the wires. Connect Red wire with starter MCB top connection or top
Position of ON/OFF switch in case of switch only. Connect black wire with the neutral which is generally available un switched in starter motor or switch board as the case may be. Please ensure to switch off the mains supply before carrying out these activities.

4. Just for checking the right connectivity & serviceability, switch On your pump motor. A Red Light will glow at alarm unit indicating availability of power supply to Alarm unit. Now short or join other end of two wires to be taken to top and Alarm should start sounding the warning indicating right connectivity. Switch Off the Pump Motor.

5. Switch Off the Pump Motor and route the wires from Alarm unit to the top of your over head water tank by taking the shortest and safe route. Fix the wires with the help of fasteners to the wall so that they are not hanging loose or obstructing.

6. Heat the end of screw driver with the help of candle and create a hole with heated screwdriver near over flow pipe in PVC water tank. In case of cemented water tank we need to drill a 4-5 mm hole.

7. Insert the wires from outside through the created hole and tie a big knot from inside. Pull the extra wire from outside and wrap with a plastics rope near to the hole so that it does not move inside or outside with application of normal force. Cut the end of wires from inside the water tank by leaving only 1-2 inches length from the knot with pliers.

Testing :

The water over flow alarm is installed now and we can test it by switching On the Pump motor. A red light will glow on the Alarm unit indicating that the gadget is On. As soon as the water tank is filled till the open ended wires level, a short/connection will be extended to the Alarm unit and it will start giving an audio warning to switch off the water pump. When we switch off pump by MCB or switch the supply to the Alarm will also be switched off and it will stop the warning sound.

Alternative/Substitute to Alarm Unit:

In Case this alarm unit is not available in your local market, a simple 3 Volt DC (2 Cells)
Door bell can be used with a switch. The two wires coming down from water tank need to be connected to the two wires coming out of this bell through a switch to switch On and Off. Only thing, one need to always remember to switch On this switch while switching On the pump motor.

Advantages : Many

Sketch : As shown in next post below.

JSRana
July 1st, 2012, 03:20 PM
14957 14958

narvir
July 1st, 2012, 04:27 PM
Sir,

It's a very useful work to avoid wastage of water.

very nice & great consideration,

Thanks
with regards

JSRana
July 1st, 2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks Narvir and its not only to avoid wastage of water but also saves electricity, reduces mental tension, reduces spillage of water in streets and hence reduces breeding of mosquitoes, overloading of drainage system and finally the guilt.

Hope you agree with me?
With Thanks.

narvir
July 1st, 2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks Narvir and its not only to avoid wastage of water but also saves electricity, reduces mental tension, reduces spillage of water in streets and hence reduces breeding of mosquitoes, overloading of drainage system and finally the guilt.

Hope you agree with me?
With Thanks.

Oh,I thought there were so benefits.
now no one can disagree with this.
So I completely agree with u .....................

once again thanks

rameshlakra
July 1st, 2012, 09:35 PM
Rana ji,

One of the most informative, simple and great value post i have seen.
I think you should write a letter to the govt (state and centre) and request them to make it mandatory.
This can save upto 30% of water.
Excellent

sunillore
July 1st, 2012, 10:37 PM
Dear Friends installing of Water Tank Over Flow Alarm appeared to me as an expensive and complicated issue until I visited a friends' house and seen it installed. I could not believe that it was such a simple gadget and easy to install for those who have basic skills & knowledge of electricity.

For those who are interested to install it, I would try to explain it in simplest terms as follows :

Material Required :

1. Water Tank Overflow Alarm ( This is generally available at Electrical Shops at prices starting from Rs 120/- per pc). In case this is not available, a simple 3 Volt DC (2cells)

2.Strong insulated Twin Wire of length from top of your overhead tank to Pump Motor starter or switch location.

Tools Required :

1. Phase Tester.

2. Wire Cutter/Pliers.

4. Screw driver.

5. Hammer

6. Medium duty Drilling Machine with 4-5 mm drill bit. (This is required only in case of cemented overhead water tanks)

Financial Implication/Cost : Rs 400 to 600 Depending upon distance of your motor SW/Starter to overhead tank and quality of Wire used

Execution/Procedure :

1. Select a suitable place near your Pump Motor starter/switch and fix the alarm unit on the wall with guitty & screw.

2 Join one end of wires to be taken to water tank with two (Short length) wires coming out of alarm unit properly and insulate with tape.

3. Cut the plug from the AC input wire of Alarm unit and remove 4-5 inch of outer insulation of both the wires. Connect Red wire with starter MCB top connection or top
Position of ON/OFF switch in case of switch only. Connect black wire with the neutral which is generally available un switched in starter motor or switch board as the case may be. Please ensure to switch off the mains supply before carrying out these activities.

4. Just for checking the right connectivity & serviceability, switch On your pump motor. A Red Light will glow at alarm unit indicating availability of power supply to Alarm unit. Now short or join other end of two wires to be taken to top and Alarm should start sounding the warning indicating right connectivity. Switch Off the Pump Motor.

5. Switch Off the Pump Motor and route the wires from Alarm unit to the top of your over head water tank by taking the shortest and safe route. Fix the wires with the help of fasteners to the wall so that they are not hanging loose or obstructing.

6. Heat the end of screw driver with the help of candle and create a hole with heated screwdriver near over flow pipe in PVC water tank. In case of cemented water tank we need to drill a 4-5 mm hole.

7. Insert the wires from outside through the created hole and tie a big knot from inside. Pull the extra wire from outside and wrap with a plastics rope near to the hole so that it does not move inside or outside with application of normal force. Cut the end of wires from inside the water tank by leaving only 1-2 inches length from the knot with pliers.

Testing :

The water over flow alarm is installed now and we can test it by switching On the Pump motor. A red light will glow on the Alarm unit indicating that the gadget is On. As soon as the water tank is filled till the open ended wires level, a short/connection will be extended to the Alarm unit and it will start giving an audio warning to switch off the water pump. When we switch off pump by MCB or switch the supply to the Alarm will also be switched off and it will stop the warning sound.

In Case this alarm unit is not available in your local market, a simple 3 Volt DC (2 Cells)
Door bell can be used with a switch. The two wires coming down from water tank need to be connected to the two wires coming out of this bell through a switch to switch On and Off. Only thing, one need to always remember to switch On this switch while switching On the pump motor.

राणा जी,
बहुत ही अच्छी जानकारी मिली. मैं भी इन्स्टाल करूँगा इसे. अभी कल की बात है. पड़ोसियों ने छत की टंकी पर पानी चढाने के लिए रात को १०-११ बजे मोटर चलाई और भूल गए. सुबह तक कितना पानी व्यर्थ हो गया आप अंदाजा लगा सकते हें. यह जानकारी बहुत ही उपयोगी है .
सुनील लोर

JSRana
July 2nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Rana ji,

One of the most informative, simple and great value post i have seen.
I think you should write a letter to the govt (state and centre) and request them to make it mandatory.
This can save upto 30% of water.
Excellent

Dear Ramesh,

Thanks for liking & appreciation. In fact I am working on a project to offer installation of this Alarm at a very reasonable price in my neighborhood with the help of an electrician on Sundays. Let us see how it works.

Please note that I have already installed two and another one is in pipeline. I have found it simple and beneficial in many ways.

With Regards.

JSRana
July 2nd, 2012, 01:31 PM
राणा जी,
बहुत ही अच्छी जानकारी मिली. मैं भी इन्स्टाल करूँगा इसे. अभी कल की बात है. पड़ोसियों ने छत की टंकी पर पानी चढाने के लिए रात को १०-११ बजे मोटर चलाई और भूल गए. सुबह तक कितना पानी व्यर्थ हो गया आप अंदाजा लगा सकते हें. यह जानकारी बहुत ही उपयोगी है .
सुनील लोर

धन्यवाद भाई सुनील | वैसे तो बड़ा सरल है फिर भी अगर कोई दीक्कत हो तो फ़ोन पर बात कर लेना मैं मदद कर दूंगा | +919899227690 |

DrRajpalSingh
July 2nd, 2012, 05:24 PM

Material Required :

Tools Required :

1. Phase Tester.

2. Wire Cutter/Pliers.

4. Screw driver.

5. Hammer

Execution/Procedure :

Testing :

Thanks and congratulation for such a useful and timely post when water table is diminishing day by day!

JSRana
July 2nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks and congratulation for such a useful and timely post when water table is diminishing day by day!

Thank You Dr. Sahab.

sunillore
July 7th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Dear Ramesh,

Thanks for liking & appreciation. In fact I am working on a project to offer installation of this Alarm at a very reasonable price in my neighborhood with the help of an electrician on Sundays. Let us see how it works.

Please note that I have already installed two and another one is in pipeline. I have found it simple and beneficial in many ways.

With Regards.

धन्यवाद राणा साहब !
मैनें electrician की मदद से लगा लिया है.
आप इसे एक प्रोडक्ट बना कर व्यावसायिक रूप दें . हमारी शुभ कामनाएं आपके साथ हैं.

sanjeev_balyan
July 8th, 2012, 11:02 AM
धन्यवाद राणा साहब !

ya , and this can be further upgraded to stop the pump automatically at the same time. but proper starer should be installed in pump operation.

DrRajpalSingh
July 8th, 2012, 03:32 PM
ya , and this can be further upgraded to stop the pump automatically at the same time. but proper starer should be installed in pump operation.

Use standard items in machinery preferably I S I marked remembering the maxim: Mahanga roe ek baar' sasata roe baar baar!

anilsangwan
July 9th, 2012, 08:27 AM
राणा जी,
सुनील लोर

@Sunil --- पड़ोसियां क बिना बूझे मत कर दिए इंस्टाल ... कदे उनकी छत पे चढ़ जा घोज में पेचकस घाल की..... लठ मारेंगे...... पहलाम आज्ञा ले लिए भाई.... भलाई का जमाना नहीं स...!!

राणा सर... बहुत बढ़िया जानकारी... आप का बहुत बहुत धन्यावाद.....

JSRana
July 9th, 2012, 05:06 PM
धन्यवाद राणा साहब !

धन्यवाद भाई सुनील आपने ये लगा लिया यह जान कर बड़ी ख़ुशी हुयी | किन्ही कारणों से मैं ईसे वेय्वासायिक रूप देने में तो असमर्थ हूँ पर हाँ अगर कोई चाहेगा तो इसे लगाने में जरूर मदद कर दूंगा |

JSRana
July 9th, 2012, 05:18 PM

You are very right Sanjeev Bhai. As such many such gadgets are available in the market with variety of features including remote switching On and Off with sms confirmation of tank filled etc.. but they are complicated and costs are very high. My Idea here was to share installation of a very simple, safe and economical device.

Hope you agree with me, please advise.

JSRana
July 9th, 2012, 07:27 PM
@Sunil --- पड़ोसियां क बिना बूझे मत कर दिए इंस्टाल ... कदे उनकी छत पे चढ़ जा घोज में पेचकस घाल की..... लठ मारेंगे...... पहलाम आज्ञा ले लिए भाई.... भलाई का जमाना नहीं स...!!

हा हा हा ..बहुत बढ़िया भाई अनिल |धन्यवाद |

sunillore
July 11th, 2012, 08:45 PM

हा हा हा....... चिंता ना कर बड़े भाई !