PDA

View Full Version : Technology in Rural Development?

annch
December 27th, 2012, 06:49 AM
A question for the respected members:

Do you think technology can play a role in the development of our villages?
For example:
In Health and Welfare: Making the welfare schemes run by the state and the center more transparent and accountable, as Public Distribution System is being made by UID.
In Education: Improving content of education, and making quality education more accessible via counseling, information portals, and other mediums.
In Income generation: Developing supply chain management (if there is a produce/product), like e-chaupal.

Thanks

swaich
December 27th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I dont think there is any doubt about it. Technology is making a difference.

But there is a caveat. What technology to use, where to use, using what medium and who operates it are more important than the technology itself.

annch
December 27th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Jaspreet ji, thank you for the revert.

Let's take an example of a typical village in Haryana. Where do you see the impact of technology? My apologies I am a little ignorant being far from the ground reality.

I dont think there is any doubt about it. Technology is making a difference.

But there is a caveat. What technology to use, where to use, using what medium and who operates it are more important than the technology itself.

Arvindc
December 27th, 2012, 08:40 PM
A question for the respected members:

Do you think technology can play a role in the development of our villages?
For example:
In Health and Welfare: Making the welfare schemes run by the state and the center more transparent and accountable, as Public Distribution System is being made by UID.
In Education: Improving content of education, and making quality education more accessible via counseling, information portals, and other mediums.
In Income generation: Developing supply chain management (if there is a produce/product), like e-chaupal.

Thanks

Yes, certainly it can, and if you look-up the developed nations this is the path they had followed.

The biggest hurdle are illiteracy and dominance of most of the technology world by a foreign language - english.

malikdeepak1
December 27th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Also depends on attitude. We have a big problem of attitude in our side.. "Chaale ne dekhya e naa samjhaan aala" is very common!

annch
December 27th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Arvind ji, even without these constraints, where is the scope of technology in our villages? Is technology more for a welfare/social objective? Or can it be a for- profit venture?

Yes, certainly it can, and if you look-up the developed nations this is the path they had followed.

The biggest hurdle are illiteracy and dominance of most of the technology world by a foreign language - english.

Agree, another comment is- "Tamne toh baat aa rhi hai."

Also depends on attitude. We have a big problem of attitude in our side.. "Chaale ne dekhya e naa samjhaan aala" is very common!

swaich
December 28th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Jaspreet ji, thank you for the revert.

Let's take an example of a typical village in Haryana. Where do you see the impact of technology? My apologies I am a little ignorant being far from the ground reality.

Well, I am not too close to ground reality either. I hardly visit the pind more than 5 times a year. But I see technology changing things in a few small way already.

1) Mobile phones. My cousins now check local mandi prices via mobile phone before taking the produce for sale to the arhtiya. If their sources and acquaintances tell them the prices will increase they wait for a few more days. If not, they go to the mandi right away.

2) Soil testing. PAU Ludhiana (I am sure HAU Hisar has something similar), allows farmers to get their farm soil tested. The analysis provides guidance on which crop is best suited for the soil and which fertilizers to use.

There are many other examples. Agriculture equipment, canal irrigation are examples of technology already being put to use in the villages.

I see other opportunities though. Farmers cooperatives can be directly connected with mandi board portals and commodity exchanges to determine demand and supply.

DrRajpalSingh
December 28th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Use of latest technology for harvesting the farm products, use of Urea, use of insecticides and pesticides, sowing of crops, tube-wells, tractors multiple use, then dairying, horticulture, floriculture, animal husbandry, bee keeping etc. everywhere use of scientific technology is seen everywhere in rural India.

annch
December 29th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Rajpal Sir,

Has it resulted in better standard of living in the villages, or any improvement in the economic or social status?

Thanks

Use of latest technology for harvesting the farm products, use of Urea, use of insecticides and pesticides, sowing of crops, tube-wells, tractors multiple use, then dairying, horticulture, floriculture, animal husbandry, bee keeping etc. everywhere use of scientific technology is seen everywhere in rural India.

DrRajpalSingh
December 29th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Rajpal Sir,

Has it resulted in better standard of living in the villages, or any improvement in the economic or social status?

Thanks

Definitely yes! Al-round changes are discernible in the villages of India of the past times and of the present which may be seen to be believed and those may be due to entry of the latest gadgets, machinery and technology which has to an extent affected socio-economic and political life of the rural masses !

Thanks and regards.

annch
December 29th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Can the same thing be said about villages in Haryana?

Definitely yes! Al-round changes are discernible in the villages of India of the past times and of the present which may be seen to be believed and those may be due to entry of the latest gadgets, machinery and technology which has to an extent affected socio-economic and political life of the rural masses !

Thanks and regards.