PDA

View Full Version : History Photos.

urmiladuhan
August 9th, 2013, 05:26 AM
A replica of Ashokan Rock Edict (National Museum, New Delhi). I think to use naturally occuring rock structures in villages, cities, for communicating with people was a very economically smart idea of Ashoka. And aesthetically (and artistically) pleasing as well. Plus, rocks are one of the most durable writing media (the writings survived all weather conditions for 2500 years and still going strong!). Attached is a photo of rock edict (replica) for your visual pleasure :)

rekhasmriti
August 9th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Super Welcome Back Urmila Ji .

Regards,

urmiladuhan
August 9th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I have noticed that until 12 th century C.E, the custom of applying 'bindi' on forehead by married hindu women or otherwise was (say) non existent. It is only after 12th century C.E or so that we see bindi on some sculptures (of women). Attached is an 11th century Shiv-Parvati sculpture from Chattisgarh area, where as you can see, there is no 'bindi' on parvati's forehead. This is just one example that I have shown. There are many others. Before 12th century, as afterwards too, we see forehead ornament on women sculptures (called 'borla' in hindi) or else a third eye on Parvati.

urmiladuhan
August 17th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Pottery Designs (2500 B.C.E). 16788

urmiladuhan
August 17th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Beautiful Pottery designs show high level of artistic and aesthetic sense.

urmiladuhan
August 17th, 2013, 05:40 AM
They look like some board game pieces-
(2500 B.C.E)

urmiladuhan
August 17th, 2013, 05:46 AM
This is a bronze figurine of a girl (famously called the dancing girl) and a dog. The dancing girl figure has been made using 'lost wax' method (a wax model is made first and clay is applied on it and dried. Now a hole is made at the bottom of the clay mould and the whole thing is baked so that the melted wax passes out. Now the empty space in the clay mould is filled with molten metak and allowed to cool. Once cooled, the clay part is removed and what we get is a metal statue)

urmiladuhan
August 17th, 2013, 05:52 AM
these terracotta figurines survived the same time frame and mechanical risks that the metal figurines underwent and provide us with valuable information on the society then. these smiling female figurines are beautiful depiction of women.

urmiladuhan
August 21st, 2013, 04:48 AM
These two photos show similarity in archietecture of buildings - one made by the Mughals (Red Fort, New Delhi, 17 th century C.E) and the other by a Hindu king (Shikar Bhurk Kund, Bundi, Rajasthan - 18th century C.E. Black and White photo). The similarity is quite noticeable in the construction of the smooth, convex shaped roofs over the building structure.

urmiladuhan
October 2nd, 2013, 11:46 AM
The concept of lifting heavy/big objects has been celebrated in Indian art history. Here are 2 photographs showing stone images of people lifting weighty objects - one is a big garland (Ikshvaku, 3-4th century C.E) and the second one shows a big stone like object on the shoulders of working men or perhaps yakshas (Raipur Museum). The Yaksha like people look really happy doing hard labor. As they say, work is worship!

rkumar
October 5th, 2013, 08:41 PM
A replica of Ashokan Rock Edict (National Museum, New Delhi). I think to use naturally occuring rock structures in villages, cities, for communicating with people was a very economically smart idea of Ashoka. And aesthetically (and artistically) pleasing as well. Plus, rocks are one of the most durable writing media (the writings survived all weather conditions for 2500 years and still going strong!). Attached is a photo of rock edict (replica) for your visual pleasure :)

Writing and painting on rocks was very common world over. One can find such writings from almost all parts of world.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 24th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Here is a map of major Indus Valley Civilization sites. This map is displayed in National Museum, New Delhi. As per this map, Indus Valley Civilization cities have been found as far away as Afghanistan.

vdhillon
October 24th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Just wondering, how far back the evidence of "Bolra" exists in the sculptures and (rock or otherwise) paintings?

@Urmila: Wonderful thread, enlightening. Thanks for the "unique" contributions. Cheers!

I have noticed that until 12 th century C.E, the custom of applying 'bindi' on forehead by married hindu women or otherwise was (say) non existent. It is only after 12th century C.E or so that we see bindi on some sculptures (of women). Attached is an 11th century Shiv-Parvati sculpture from Chattisgarh area, where as you can see, there is no 'bindi' on parvati's forehead. This is just one example that I have shown. There are many others. Before 12th century, as afterwards too, we see forehead ornament on women sculptures (called 'borla' in hindi) or else a third eye on Parvati.

vdhillon
October 24th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Important to note that the most IVC sites are clustered around the now-lost Sarasvati river, depicted as dotted line across arid Rajasthan and marshes of Gujrat. Thus, the argument for renaming the IVC to SRC (Sarasvati Rivery Culture) or to even VC (Vedic Culture). More recent maps on google exist that depict the most-recently identified sites as well. Some sites as far up the foothills of Himalayas in Uttrakhand and J&K, even in Balochistan and Afghanistan, though highest concentration of sites is in fertile Sarasvati river embankment and catchment area across Haryana, Rajasthan and Gujrat.

Pic in the link shows the respective position of the Indus RIver (sindhu nadi) as well as now-lost Sarasvati river (part of which is Ghagghar which still flows through Uttrakhand, Haryana and Rajasthan).

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=satellite+map+of+sarasvati+river&client=opera&hs=yAO&channel=suggest&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KTlpUtSlNYe_rgfbyYCADw&ved=0CCwQsAQ#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=1RmACQbTqef7JM%3A%3BZYve0AGWRZT-WM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.archaeologyonline.net% 252Findology%252Fsarasvati-map-crop.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.archaeologyonlin e.net%252Fartifacts%252Fscientific-verif-vedas.html%3B300%3B284

Here is a map of major Indus Valley Civilization sites. This map is displayed in National Museum, New Delhi. As per this map, Indus Valley Civilization cities have been found as far away as Afghanistan.

urmiladuhan
October 25th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks for appreciating :). I used to (and still am) a newbie in history affairs. But when I started visiting museums, I appreciated what I saw, especially from ancient Indian history times. Perhaps, I look at things from an unconventional perspective, as I have not been 'force fed' history concepts through conventional teaching methods.
I have seen 'borla' in sculptures from Shunga times.

Just wondering, how far back the evidence of "Bolra" exists in the sculptures and (rock or otherwise) paintings?

@Urmila: Wonderful thread, enlightening. Thanks for the "unique" contributions. Cheers!

urmiladuhan
October 25th, 2013, 12:04 PM

vdhillon
October 25th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the info again. Could you please date the Sunga time just to get an idea of the longitudinal timeline? How far back would that be? Yup, the development and change in attire by itself a field of study. I recall seeing a youtube slideshow video on that.

You are doing very well for a newbie, I had assumed you are a scholar of history teaching in a university :) Keep up the good work, more importantly pls keep sharing with us, very infotaining.

Thanks for appreciating :). I used to (and still am) a newbie in history affairs. But when I started visiting museums, I appreciated what I saw, especially from ancient Indian history times. Perhaps, I look at things from an unconventional perspective, as I have not been 'force fed' history concepts through conventional teaching methods.
I have seen 'borla' in sculptures from Shunga times.

urmiladuhan
October 25th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Shunga period sculptures in museums have been dated approx. 2 nd B.C.E to 1st C.E. (B.C.E= Before Common Era, C.E= Common Era). I have been told by A.S.I historians that C.E has replaced A.D (After Death i.e., of Christ) nomenclature in academic circles just so to remove the religious bias and thus making the nomenclature more globally acceptable.

Thanks for the info again. Could you please date the Sunga time just to get an idea of the longitudinal timeline? How far back would that be? Yup, the development and change in attire by itself a field of study. I recall seeing a youtube slideshow video on that.

You are doing very well for a newbie, I had assumed you are a scholar of history teaching in a university :) Keep up the good work, more importantly pls keep sharing with us, very infotaining.

urmiladuhan
October 25th, 2013, 01:08 PM

vdhillon
October 25th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Yup, CE and BCE purport to remove the religious bias, yet they still are not free from it as the baseline still is the Christ. Some historians use a more secular and non-religious term BP (before present), but usage of which is cumbersome as one has to mention the current date, thus its usage is usually reserved for the much longer time frame e.g Homo Sapien migrated to the Indian peninsula between 70,000 BP to 60,000 BP.

Shunga period sculptures in museums have been dated approx. 2 nd B.C.E to 1st C.E. (B.C.E= Before Common Era, C.E= Common Era). I have been told by A.S.I historians that C.E has replaced A.D (After Death i.e., of Christ) nomenclature in academic circles just so to remove the religious bias and thus making the nomenclature more globally acceptable.

urmiladuhan
October 31st, 2013, 10:01 PM
Sakas ruled in the North of India in and around the Kushana time (approx. 2100 years ago). The sakas came to India from colder climate is evident from their dress, which covers their entire body. It is believed that they adopted buddhism and hinduism as they settled on the Indian soil. The photo below is of a stone relief showing Saka worshippers worshipping Sivalinga. Also of interest is their unusual cap i.e., conical, shape, which clearly is not Indian. The Indian style of head cover for men was a turban as evident from sculptures of the Mauryan period (approx. 2400 years ago).

The Saka sculptures/reliefs/friezes from Mathura Museum, for your visual pleasure!

DrRajpalSingh
November 19th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Very interesting !!!

maddhan1979
June 22nd, 2014, 03:10 PM
Sakas ruled in the North of India in and around the Kushana time (approx. 2100 years ago). The sakas came to India from colder climate is evident from their dress, which covers their entire body. It is believed that they adopted buddhism and hinduism as they settled on the Indian soil. The photo below is of a stone relief showing Saka worshippers worshipping Sivalinga. Also of interest is their unusual cap i.e., conical, shape, which clearly is not Indian. The Indian style of head cover for men was a turban as evident from sculptures of the Mauryan period (approx. 2400 years ago).

The Saka sculptures/reliefs/friezes from Mathura Museum, for your visual pleasure!

Central Asia, far east of Russia. Siberia. It is possible that these were the people, who were able to survive all the Ice Ages, that humans endured. The main point is, how long they have been living in that area.