PDA

View Full Version : Fashionable women in Indian History.

urmiladuhan
August 12th, 2013, 06:42 AM

(Photo: Personal Collection. Source: National Museum, New Delhi)

The above sculpture is of Queen Kelachchhadevi of Alwar (Rajasthan). This is a 12th century sculpture of the queen standing besides her husband (the king). In terms of the prevalent Indian fashion then, a knee length skirt with a short blouse (tight fitting) with no head covering veil, is noticed. As far as hair is concerner, women preferred to keep long hair (instead of short - we see that fashion of short hair in sanch stupa sculptures), neatly tied in a bun. The use of forehead bindi as a beautification idea had started as seen on the forehead of the queen. Fashionably acceptable hair parting was a centre parting of hair. People preferred to be without shoes whenever possible (No shoes on the king and queen).

urmiladuhan
August 12th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Regarding whether women kept short hair as a fashion symbol, it is my observation that in general, long hair was fashionable (almost all sculptures and photos that i have seen show women with long hair). However, i came across this beautiful photo of Sanchi Stupa sculpture where the woman is shown with short, fashionably styled hair (2nd century B.C.E).

DrRajpalSingh
August 12th, 2013, 07:44 AM

(Photo: Personal Collection. Source: National Museum, New Delhi)

The above sculpture is of Queen Kelachchhadevi of Alwar (Rajasthan). This is a 12th century sculpture of the queen standing besides her husband (the king). In terms of the prevalent Indian fashion then, a knee length skirt with a short blouse (tight fitting) with no head covering veil, is noticed. As far as hair is concerner, women preferred to keep long hair (instead of short - we see that fashion of short hair in sanch stupa sculptures), neatly tied in a bun. The use of forehead bindi as a beautification idea had started as seen on the forehead of the queen. Fashionably acceptable hair parting was a centre parting of hair. People preferred to be without shoes whenever possible (No shoes on the king and queen).

But, long time back, King Kanishka is shown wearing shoes in Mathura headless sculpture !

urmiladuhan
August 12th, 2013, 08:13 AM
But, long time back, King Kanishka is shown wearing shoes in Mathura headless sculpture !

That is true. Even Surya is shown wearing shoes, and no other deity. When I asked the reason behind Surya shown wearing shoes, I was told (I am sure this is quite laughable) so that his intense rays could be dimmed. :). As if the intensity part of the sun lies in his feet! I did not believe that the explanation was true. I think, perhaps the concept of Sun God is not Indian per say. As per brahminical traditions, people don't wear shoes even when entering a temple and so that a God is shown wearing shoes does not seem to be an Indian concept, I think. I shall post a sculpture photo of Surya soon.

urmiladuhan
August 12th, 2013, 08:24 AM
That is true. Even Surya is shown wearing shoes, and no other deity. When I asked the reason behind Surya shown wearing shoes, I was told (I am sure this is quite laughable) so that his intense rays could be dimmed. :). As if the intensity part of the sun lies in his feet! I did not believe that the explanation was true. I think, perhaps the concept of Sun God is not Indian per say. As per brahminical traditions, people don't wear shoes even when entering a temple and so that a God is shown wearing shoes does not seem to be an Indian concept, I think. I shall post a sculpture photo of Surya soon.

Surya shown wearing long boots.

urmiladuhan
August 12th, 2013, 08:41 AM

Dr. Rajpal, here we are talking specifically about women fashion. Have you ever seen a women wearing shoes in sculptures before say 13th century C.E? Sculpture making being an expensive undertaking, it was affordable either by the royals or otherwise wealthy class of people (especially stone sculptures. terracotta is a different ball game - but even here, having an artist make terracotta figures cost money). Perhaps, the working class of people wore shoes. But when it comes to showing fashion, as it is nowadays, the wealthy decide what is fashionable and are harbingers of fashion. Wealthy class of women stayed indoors mostly and are not wearing shoes (in general).

urmiladuhan
August 12th, 2013, 08:55 AM
The following terracotta tablet shows working class women. This is from Sunga period (2nd century B.C.E). Working class women is shown wearing a long skirt (like lehnga) with a short but sleeved blouse (half sleeves ?). no head covering veil is shown. unlike today, women in rural areas did not cover their heads, let alone face! Another women is shown wearing a long cloth wrapped around as a knee length skirt and wearing a blouse. this was the fashion of women in 2nd century B.C.E.

urmiladuhan
August 12th, 2013, 08:59 AM

Kanishka is known as a Kushana King. Kushanas are believed to have come to India from cold climate region of the north. that is why they are shown wearing long coats and high boots (cold climate dress), besides the fact that they were warriors and needed to keep themselves well protected from various elements.

DrRajpalSingh
September 24th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Empress Nur Jehan, the wife of emperor Jahangir (1605-1627),

has been said to be a fashionable lady especially she was an

ardent lover of scent and provided all help to the artisans who

were engaged in preparation of it.

DrRajpalSingh
September 24th, 2013, 05:59 PM
The ladies in harem of the Mughals and those belonging to Mansabdar families

used to go to markets in Agra and Delhi to enjoy shopping items of their

choicest fashion. Since their number seems to be large special shopping

complexes to cater to their needs came into existence, These shops catering

to the needs of this elite group were run exclusively by the women and these

special markets were known as MEENA Bazaar in those days.

rkumar
October 5th, 2013, 08:50 PM
very informative slide show on the subject;

http://www.slideshare.net/guestc4f826/ancient-indian-fashion

RK^2

rkumar
October 5th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Regarding whether women kept short hair as a fashion symbol, it is my observation that in general, long hair was fashionable (almost all sculptures and photos that i have seen show women with long hair). However, i came across this beautiful photo of Sanchi Stupa sculpture where the woman is shown with short, fashionably styled hair (2nd century B.C.E).

Doesn't it compare so well with the hair style of Cleopatra who also ruled Egypt around the same time.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=805&q=Cleopatra&oq=Cleopatra&gs_l=img.3..0l10.2368.2368.0.3687.1.1.0.0.0.0.90.9 0.1.1.0....0...1ac.1.27.img..0.1.89.zoUjYebOFvg#fa crc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=NXcPsJM4llo-pM%3A%3BfnBaEImI5zJL2M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.de corarconarte.com%252FWebRoot%252FStoreES2%252FShop s%252F61552482%252F4C11%252FC953%252FAE9A%252FC4BB %252F71FA%252FC0A8%252F28B9%252F50C4%252Fcleopatra _03000240.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.decorarcona rte.com%252FBustocleopatra03000336%3B840%3B1000

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 12th, 2013, 09:49 AM
a very unusual woman's anklet design seen on sculpture from mathura region. here we see anklet in the form of multiple strings with hanging design on one side of the strings.