PDA

View Full Version : Old Textile from Village.

urmiladuhan
August 15th, 2013, 09:59 AM
this is a photo of rajai geelaf hand woven by my grandmother some 50 years ago. I am using it as bedsheet these days. The colors have not faded in all these years and the pattern is so uniquely beautiful (mango pattern with the seed (guthli) also made inside the mango pattern. For your visual pleasure as much as it is for me!

urmiladuhan
August 15th, 2013, 10:06 AM
a close up of the bedsheet (another one) to show the mango fruit with the seed inside it.

urmiladuhan
August 15th, 2013, 08:33 PM
The fruit mango has traditionally been used in ancient sculptures too. Famous women have had names on the fruit mango (Ambika and Amrapali). Attached is a sculpture photo of Ambika (from approximately 10th century C.E; Area: the then Madhya Pradesh).

Mangoes are shown at the top end of the sculpture.

a close up of the bedsheet (another one) to show the mango fruit with the seed inside it.

singhvp
August 16th, 2013, 02:59 AM
this is a photo of rajai geelaf hand woven by my grandmother some 50 years ago. I am using it as bedsheet these days. The colors have not faded in all these years and the pattern is so uniquely beautiful (mango pattern with the seed (guthli) also made inside the mango pattern. For your visual pleasure as much as it is for me!

You shouldn't be using this precious antique piece and the family heritage bequeathed by grandma, as a bed-cover. This objet d'art must be preserved in some museum (or in your safe custody) to showcase Haryana's ancient craftsmanship. These things are vanishing fast from Haryanvi households - thanks to the synthetic covers and beddings which have no comparison with the home-made quilt covers.

urmiladuhan
August 16th, 2013, 03:50 AM
It is my prerogative how I want to appreciate and show case it as it is a personally owned item. For some time, it was kept in preserved form but I felt I was missing it and I wanted it to be part of my daily life. So, I decided to start using it where I can appreciate it on a daily basis and feel closer to the culture.

You shouldn't be using this precious antique piece and the family heritage bequeathed by grandma, as a bed-cover. This objet d'art must be preserved in some museum (or in your safe custody) to showcase Haryana's ancient craftsmanship. These things are vanishing fast from Haryanvi households - thanks to the synthetic covers and beddings which have no comparison with the home-made quilt covers.

urmiladuhan
August 16th, 2013, 06:02 AM
as far as local craftsman ship is concerned, I was delighted to find housewives in villages weaving traditional motifs into durri (mat) even these days. Traditional motifs being rooster, parrots etc and other traditional designs. You may have a look at the durri in my recent post on artifacts of Haryana in history section, post number 2 on Ikkas village.

singhvp
August 16th, 2013, 03:14 PM

It goes without saying that it is your prerogative and there was absolutely no intention to question it. I think, you misconstrued it.

urmiladuhan
August 17th, 2013, 08:37 AM
this pattern is from a ballucheri saree which are famous for their imprints of ancient tales. many show ram-sita 'swayamvar' and there are others showing depicting fables from kalidas's work, ramayana, mahabharata etc. this one shows shakuntala residing in forest land, surrounded by deers and peacocks. many of you maybe familiar with the story of shakuntala (written by Kalidas, during the Gupta period). Shakuntala is the wife of king Dushyant and the mother of Bharat on whom the name of our country, Bharata, comes from.

This photo for your visual pleasure...

urmiladuhan
August 17th, 2013, 09:11 AM
It goes without saying that it is your prerogative and there was absolutely no intention to question it. I think, you misconstrued it.

mea culpa! I beg your pardon.

krishdel
August 17th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Urmila Ji, It is nice that u have maintained it well. I think again the people leaving in rural area need to start medium entrepreneur to add to their income. Hope people in rural area improve their skill in this direction and add something more to their income if they want to live average standard life. With only agriculture it will be tough to compete with city.