PDA

View Full Version : Some nice thoughts...

urmiladuhan
September 8th, 2013, 06:51 PM
“To learn more about science, turn off your electronic device and go outside and look around a bit. Nature is calling you. Go on. The internet will still be here.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

urmiladuhan
September 9th, 2013, 05:13 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=586592794734246&set=a.138766666183530.25347.138763606183836&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

It says: "give with no expectations"

DrRajpalSingh
September 9th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Do good and forget !!!!!

Prikshit
September 10th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Don't suffer before actual suffering

urmiladuhan
September 10th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Do good and forget !!!!!

We always get the reward for doing something nice - the first and foremost being a good internal feeling, I think.

Prikshit
September 10th, 2013, 02:24 PM
The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it but what they become by it.

urmiladuhan
September 10th, 2013, 02:38 PM
The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it but what they become by it.

Very well said.

urmiladuhan
September 10th, 2013, 02:47 PM
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”
― Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It

I love to travel and meet/see interesting people/places and things.

inderjeetsngh09
September 10th, 2013, 03:24 PM
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe".

inderjeetsngh09
September 10th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I am thankful for all of those who said "NO" to me. Its because of them I’m doing it myself.

inderjeetsngh09
September 10th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.

urmiladuhan
September 10th, 2013, 05:59 PM
I am reminded this is an Albert Einstein quote :)

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe".

urmiladuhan
September 10th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Great attitude I must say :)

I am thankful for all of those who said "NO" to me. Its because of them I’m doing it myself.

urmiladuhan
September 10th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.

I don't think I agree with this one. There are empathetic people called friends :)

urmiladuhan
September 14th, 2013, 06:13 PM
The purpose of life is to leave it in a better state than what one found it to be in. - Urmila Duhan.

inderjeetsngh09
October 8th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Well, everyone in this world is not the same and people differ from one to another. However; the above mentioned statement can just not be lay aside.

rkumar
October 8th, 2013, 04:57 PM
“To learn more about science, turn off your electronic device and go outside and look around a bit. Nature is calling you. Go on. The internet will still be here.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

Nature is the biggest science laboratory. Newton got his ideas while watching falling apples and Raman got it watching blue color of ocean water. Indian philosophers had been talking of mass-energy concept muc before Einstein. Most of the medicines were discovered while watching wild animals and plants. In act lot can be understood even looking inwards. Our own body and thought process is also a big laboratory. We have to just learn how to perceive our finer senses. Lot can be learned from the feedback process between our body and thought process.

RK^2

rkumar
October 8th, 2013, 05:03 PM

Becoming is getting.

RK^2

rkumar
October 8th, 2013, 05:07 PM
The purpose of life is to leave it in a better state than what one found it to be in. - Urmila Duhan.

What is better state is the most difficult question. Any thoughts on how to define it ?

RK^2

rkumar
October 8th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Do good and forget !!!!!

How to do it ? Any simple method ?

RK^2

rkumar
October 8th, 2013, 05:11 PM

Ever thought why it is so and how to reach to a level to do so ? By the way a good part of answer is in your own quote; "I am thankful for all of those who said "NO" to me. Its because of them I’m doing it myself."
RK^2

rkumar
October 8th, 2013, 05:33 PM
“............I love to travel and meet/see interesting people/places and things.

My observation is; " Every person, every living being is unique and interesting and so is every place". Issue is to cultivate our senses to the level that everything starts looking interesting. I have posted a video under another thread on Jatland. I am posting it here again. Watch the faces of people in the video how interesting they look. Every face tells a story;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHsLlLZiHgM

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 10th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Nature is the biggest science laboratory. Newton got his ideas while watching falling apples and Raman got it watching blue color of ocean water. Indian philosophers had been talking of mass-energy concept muc before Einstein. Most of the medicines were discovered while watching wild animals and plants. In act lot can be understood even looking inwards. Our own body and thought process is also a big laboratory. We have to just learn how to perceive our finer senses. Lot can be learned from the feedback process between our body and thought process.

RK^2

I suppose this is what meditation is about.

urmiladuhan
October 10th, 2013, 09:09 PM
I suppose, be the change you want to see. That, I suppose, is a better state.

What is better state is the most difficult question. Any thoughts on how to define it ?

RK^2

rkumar
October 10th, 2013, 10:45 PM
I suppose, be the change you want to see. That, I suppose, is a better state.

As we know, such topics can lead to almost unending debates. This has been debated all through history by philosophers and other thinkers. As expected there is no unique answer. The reason is that there is no situation in life which can be defined by a linear mathematical equation. Even simplest situations have multiple variables and therefore a polynomial equation. In most cases there are no exact solutions. One gets multiple approximate solutions to all such equations.

When one talks of change, simplest possible model one can think of is the person himself and his surroundings. Surrounding and self, both are dynamic variables. It is next to impossible to solve such problems without simplifications and approximations. This is where the understanding comes into play. One has to know about self and surrounding both. Ideal would be to look for a solution which is surrounding independent and this is what a Yogi aspires for. He gives up everything or choses a life path which is independent of surroundings. Lesser yogis try to optimize their life by removing parts of surroundings.

I feel for scientifically and mathematically minded people it should by much easier to understand and then find an optimum state. In my view an ideal state would be the most stable state. Most stable states are the one which have lowest energy levels and which indirectly translates to cutting down the effects of surroundings on one's life.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 11th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Fabulous answer! Rajendra ji, you are very learned in my humble opinion :)

As we know, such topics can lead to almost unending debates. This has been debated all through history by philosophers and other thinkers. As expected there is no unique answer. The reason is that there is no situation in life which can be defined by a linear mathematical equation. Even simplest situations have multiple variables and therefore a polynomial equation. In most cases there are no exact solutions. One gets multiple approximate solutions to all such equations.

When one talks of change, simplest possible model one can think of is the person himself and his surroundings. Surrounding and self, both are dynamic variables. It is next to impossible to solve such problems without simplifications and approximations. This is where the understanding comes into play. One has to know about self and surrounding both. Ideal would be to look for a solution which is surrounding independent and this is what a Yogi aspires for. He gives up everything or choses a life path which is independent of surroundings. Lesser yogis try to optimize their life by removing parts of surroundings.

I feel for scientifically and mathematically minded people it should by much easier to understand and then find an optimum state. In my view an ideal state would be the most stable state. Most stable states are the one which have lowest energy levels and which indirectly translates to cutting down the effects of surroundings on one's life.

RK^2

rkumar
October 11th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Fabulous answer! Rajendra ji, you are very learned in my humble opinion :)

Thank you very much for the compliments. I would call it more like an experienced driver who knows the condition of his car, the road , type of traffic expected and the distance to be travelled. Being a student of science, I try to model my day to day issues. Almost every situation in life can be compared to a concept in science. Let me share one very interesting concept of computer science which I adopted many years back in my daily life. In a computer we have an accumulator and a processor. Accumulator keeps track of events in processor. Some how I learned to divide my brain into two parts on the same concept. Small part of my brain just tracks what is going on in my brain. This way I can very distinctly identify the moments responsible for my being high or low and the associated causes. This concept has been a great navigational tool for me.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 11th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Thank you very much for the compliments. I would call it more like an experienced driver who knows the condition of his car, the road , type of traffic expected and the distance to be travelled. Being a student of science, I try to model my day to day issues. Almost every situation in life can be compared to a concept in science. Let me share one very interesting concept of computer science which I adopted many years back in my daily life. In a computer we have an accumulator and a processor. Accumulator keeps track of events in processor. Some how I learned to divide my brain into two parts on the same concept. Small part of my brain just tracks what is going on in my brain. This way I can very distinctly identify the moments responsible for my being high or low and the associated causes. This concept has been a great navigational tool for me.

RK^2

I think I am familiar with the specifically underlined experience :). Very helpful, I must say, to have this kind of understanding about oneself.

rkumar
October 12th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Relationships are like books. Some are for one time reading, some for just title reading, some to be avoided, some for rereading, some for reading, understanding and then analyzing, only few are sacred like Geeta, Quran and Guru Garanth Sahib. As we grow older, we are left with only last category of relationsips.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 12th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Did you write this quote, kumar ji? It is indeed very profound in meaning.

Relationships are like books. Some are for one time reading, some for just title reading, some to be avoided, some for rereading, some for reading, understanding and then analyzing, only few are sacred like Geeta, Quran and Guru Garanth Sahib. As we grow older, we are left with only last category of relationsips.

RK^2

rkumar
October 12th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Did you write this quote, kumar ji? It is indeed very profound in meaning.

This I wrote with my own personal experience.

RK^2

Samarkadian
October 12th, 2013, 10:25 PM
''People are only honest, when they are pissed off.''

rkumar
October 12th, 2013, 11:52 PM
''People are only honest, when they are pissed off.''

that's a good one.. We should ensure that our politicians are always pissed off.....lol

RK^2

soniadabas
October 14th, 2013, 12:30 PM
No matter how bad someone treats you, never drop to there level, just know that you are better and walk away.

Prikshit
October 14th, 2013, 02:53 PM
No matter how bad someone treats you, never drop to there level, just know that you are better and walk away. To add to it "They will beat you with their experience" so better avoid that.

rkumar
October 14th, 2013, 06:40 PM
No matter how bad someone treats you, never drop to there level, just know that you are better and walk away.

I will apply this only selectively and not universally as every case is different. Walking away from such people all the time is not the best solution.

RK^2

desijat
October 14th, 2013, 08:11 PM
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Mahatma Gandhi

And this can be applied to today's crusaders of any religion

urmiladuhan
October 14th, 2013, 08:22 PM

That requires high level of understanding about what is going on, I suppose.

urmiladuhan
October 15th, 2013, 08:50 AM
"Do not judge each day by what you reap, but judge by the seeds you plant". - Robert Louis Stevenson.

rkumar
October 15th, 2013, 04:42 PM
"Do not judge each day by what you reap, but judge by the seeds you plant". - Robert Louis Stevenson.

Watch the soil before you plant the seeds.

RK^2

rkumar
October 15th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Seeds of life are everywhere in universe. It takes a Earth like planet to bring them to full bloom. .. (RK)

RK^2

Prikshit
October 15th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Seeds of life are everywhere in universe. It takes a Earth like planet to bring them to full bloom. .. (RK)

RK^2
Too good !!!!!

desijat
October 15th, 2013, 08:08 PM
It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones slept better while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking hours much more.
Woody Allen

rkumar
October 15th, 2013, 08:20 PM
It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones slept better while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking hours much more.
Woody Allen

Sounds like a film dialogue without any depth.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 15th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Any practical example that fits the quote? Please share your wisdom :)

Watch the soil before you plant the seeds.

RK^2

Samarkadian
October 15th, 2013, 08:42 PM
''Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue.'' - Dilbert

desijat
October 15th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I have often found film dialogues to make very good quotes which inspire one beyond the regular ones. e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmicfGmQZ9s

Sounds like a film dialogue without any depth.

RK^2

rkumar
October 15th, 2013, 09:22 PM

Like seeds are to the soil, thoughts/ ideas are to the human being. Seeds/ thoughts/ideas can not be implanted without preparing the soil/ person. Then one has to give due consideration to the climate/ environment also for the seed/ thought/ idea to germinate and then gloom into a plant/ personality. It matters a great deal when , where and how you throw the seed/ idea/thought. Same idea/thought implanted in two different persons living in different environments can lead to very different and often conflicting results. How far the person implanting the thought/ idea supervises also matters a great deal. Its a very interesting topic and can be expanded to any extent. There is a very interesting story which was taught to us in our Sanskrit book;

" Four Brahmin boys went to Kashi for their education. They were taught the technique of bringing back the dead to life again. After their education they were returning home through the jungle where they saw the bones of some dead animal. They decided to test their skill on the dead animal's bones. As they were proceeding, they realized that its going to be lion. One of them asked to stop there as lion might kill them. Three did not agree as they wanted to complete the experiment to the last stage. The intelligent Brahmin boy told them to hold on till he climbed the tree. As expected, lion came t life and killed all the three on the ground"

Moral of the story is that same seed/ thought/ idea implanted in different people can bring very different results.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 15th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Please allow me to share my take: every person may not be able to get the essence of education given to them. Some may blossom beautifully and become better people because of it while others may not be able to make much stride in life. Therefore it is up to the teacher to select appropriate students for a class as all and everybody may not be up to it. I hope I am making some sense at least :)

urmiladuhan
October 15th, 2013, 10:19 PM
]Seeds of life are everywhere in universe. It takes a Earth like planet to bring them to full bloom. .. (RK)[/B]

RK^2
I am not sure scientifically it can be said that seeds (i.e., DNA) are every where.

rkumar
October 15th, 2013, 10:44 PM
I am not sure scientifically it can be said that seeds (i.e., DNA) are every where.

I was student of Astrophysics for a year or so. During this period I got exposed to many interesting things and one was "Origin of Life". Without getting into too many details, I am posting the links below which will give some idea of the subject;

1. http://www.kurzweilai.net/dna-and-amino-acid-precursor-molecules-discovered-in-interstellar-space
2. http://www.springer.com/earth+sciences+and+geography/geophysics/book/978-0-7923-4597-8
3. http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/latest-news/publication-of-the-week-professor-chandra-wickramasinghe-4/

There are quite a few books on the subject.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 16th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Interesting stuff. One of the links mentions that origin of life may not be terrestrial as on earth and this possibility should be included when analysing clues of extra terrestrial life. I suppose these days telescopes come fitted with radio wave analysers as another link mentions. Interesting stuff indeed.

I was student of Astrophysics for a year or so. During this period I got exposed to many interesting things and one was "Origin of Life". Without getting into too many details, I am posting the links below which will give some idea of the subject;

1. http://www.kurzweilai.net/dna-and-amino-acid-precursor-molecules-discovered-in-interstellar-space
2. http://www.springer.com/earth+sciences+and+geography/geophysics/book/978-0-7923-4597-8
3. http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/latest-news/publication-of-the-week-professor-chandra-wickramasinghe-4/

There are quite a few books on the subject.

RK^2

rkumar
October 16th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Interesting stuff. One of the links mentions that origin of life may not be terrestrial as on earth and this possibility should be included when analysing clues of extra terrestrial life. I suppose these days telescopes come fitted with radio wave analysers as another link mentions. Interesting stuff indeed.

In my view we understand very little about the early formation of life on Earth. Life might have evolved on Earth for sure, but basic building block biomolecules were trapped from outer space. Many of the bacteria found in ocean sediments are found in the interstellar dust as well.

http://news.discovery.com/space/astronomy/ocean-bacteria-hint-at-an-ancient-supernova-130514.htm

Whole Darwin theory is going to fall flat on its face sooner or later.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 16th, 2013, 12:18 PM
In my view we understand very little about the early formation of life on Earth. Life might have evolved on Earth for sure, but basic building block biomolecules were trapped from outer space. Many of the bacteria found in ocean sediments are found in the interstellar dust as well.

http://news.discovery.com/space/astronomy/ocean-bacteria-hint-at-an-ancient-supernova-130514.htm

Whole Darwin theory is going to fall flat on its face sooner or later.

RK^2

It is just a theory albeit it appears to be true in some cases. Whether it is universal, only time will tell.

singhvp
October 16th, 2013, 02:40 PM
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Tyson साहब भोत स्याणा माणस था/है, 4 G कनेक्सन आण तैं पह्ल्याँ बता दिया कि इसका नेटवर्क खेत मै भी काम करैगा I

inderjeetsngh09
October 16th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Is it true ?

urmiladuhan
October 17th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Is it true ?

I suppose, sometimes it is true :)

rkumar
October 18th, 2013, 03:36 AM
Woody Allen

This Woody Allan refused to release his film Blue Jasmine in India because of some censorship requirements on smoking.

http://health.india.com/diseases-conditions/indian-cancer-surgeons-open-letter-to-mr-woody-allen/

RK^2

desijat
October 18th, 2013, 03:47 AM
I have seen the film, quite good
This Woody Allan refused to release his film Blue Jasmine in India because of some censorship requirements on smoking.

http://health.india.com/diseases-conditions/indian-cancer-surgeons-open-letter-to-mr-woody-allen/

RK^2

inderjeetsngh09
October 21st, 2013, 09:22 AM
For Mr. Rkumar!

Sir, there is something that I would like to know only if you won't mind that how much of your time you generally spend on this website!
As I've seen plenty of your posts and you've also formed some of the groups on this website. :)

rkumar
October 21st, 2013, 06:17 PM
For Mr. Rkumar!

Sir, there is something that I would like to know only if you won't mind that how much of your time you generally spend on this website!
As I've seen plenty of your posts and you've also formed some of the groups on this website. :)

I spend good amount of time surfing internet for the topics of my interest. This to me is like reading the books of my interest. Anything interesting I try to share with Jatland community. I have not formed any group on Jatland. I don't spend much time on other social media sites as I find them waste of time.

Now let me ask you a counter question if you wish to answer honestly? Did you find my presence on Jatland irritating that you asked me this question? Please try to answer as honestly as you can as that will help me a great deal to mend my approach.

RK^2

inderjeetsngh09
October 22nd, 2013, 08:47 PM
I spend good amount of time surfing internet for the topics of my interest. This to me is like reading the books of my interest. Anything interesting I try to share with Jatland community. I have not formed any group on Jatland. I don't spend much time on other social media sites as I find them waste of time.

Now let me ask you a counter question if you wish to answer honestly? Did you find my presence on Jatland irritating that you asked me this question? Please try to answer as honestly as you can as that will help me a great deal to mend my approach.

No Sir, Not at All!
I didn't mean that.

desijat
February 27th, 2014, 09:35 PM
You really have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you

DrRajpalSingh
February 27th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Do good and forget !

rkumar
May 2nd, 2014, 09:12 PM
During last one year or so I have realized the following;

1. Of late western countries practice more leftist ideology than Russia and China.
2. Majority of educated people and intellectuals tend to be leftists than rightists and preach freebees.
3. Development is as much a political tool as keeping people backward.
4. Leaders of political parties are like Messiahs and talking anything against them becomes blasphemous for their supporters.
5. Most religious heads are nothing but extensions of one or the other political party.
6. Leftists and rightists are akin to Bear and Bull respectively in a stock market.

RK^2

DrRajpalSingh
May 2nd, 2014, 10:05 PM
During last one year or so I have realized the following;

1. Of late western countries practice more leftist ideology than Russia and China.
2. Majority of educated people and intellectuals tend to be leftists than rightists and preach freebees.
3. Development is as much a political tool as keeping people backward.
4. Leaders of political parties are like Messiahs and talking anything against them becomes blasphemous for their supporters.
5. Most religious heads are nothing but extensions of one or the other political party.
6. Leftists and rightists are akin to Bear and Bull respectively in a stock market.

RK^2

Nicely summed up !

rkumar
June 27th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Some relations are like paintings. Though not of much practical use, but good for decorating the living rooms.

RK^2