PDA

View Full Version : Why have an interest in history?

urmiladuhan
September 10th, 2013, 03:01 PM
One reason for it I found in this interesting quote:

Today's Words to Live By: We can improve our tomorrows with a better understanding of our past.

For those of us who keep an interest in history, kindly please share your reason.

I keep an interest primarily due to the beauty it holds... Beautiful arifacts, buildings, dresses etc. Knowing history gives a peep into knowing why we do things the way we do. And that is an interesting thing to know, I think.

Regards,

Urmila.

swaich
September 10th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Because many of the answers to the questions of our present and the future lay hidden in our past. And;

Those who forget to learn from their past, are condemned to repeat it.

urmiladuhan
September 10th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Well said.

QUOTE=swaich;346692]

Because many of the answers to the questions of our present and the future lay hidden in our past.

And;

Those who forget to learn from their past, are condemned to repeat it.[/QUOTE]

urmiladuhan
September 10th, 2013, 06:12 PM
I fell in love with history mainly because of Harappa culture that I saw in the museum. Through their artifacts I saw very civilised people who led a happy life. Women were well respected and were given due representation in society. There was no purdah system, no caste system, and in general people led a prosperous life. I especially liked the beautiful pottery designs which people thought important to have on them. Creativity is abundant in their artifacts. That culture sort of laid the foundation for the rest of Indian culture that was to come whether it was religion, respect for women, art etc.

One reason for it I found in this interesting quote:

Today's Words to Live By: We can improve our tomorrows with a better understanding of our past.

For those of us who keep an interest in history, kindly please share your reason.

I keep an interest primarily due to the beauty it holds... Beautiful arifacts, buildings, dresses etc. Knowing history gives a peep into knowing why we do things the way we do. And that is an interesting thing to know, I think.

Regards,

Urmila.

rkumar
September 12th, 2013, 05:25 AM
I love history of human migration. Things which are common among people from far away places, fascinate me the most.

rsdalal
September 12th, 2013, 06:51 AM
This we have in our jat culture even today, sometime I think we need to get away with this Parda system, or do we ?

I fell in love with history mainly because of Harappa culture that I saw in the museum. Through their artifacts I saw very civilised people who led a happy life. Women were well respected and were given due representation in society. There was no purdah system, no caste system, and in general people led a prosperous life. I especially liked the beautiful pottery designs which people thought important to have on them. Creativity is abundant in their artifacts. That culture sort of laid the foundation for the rest of Indian culture that was to come whether it was religion, respect for women, art etc.

urmiladuhan
October 13th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Do you have any theories on why it is practiced in a joint family system? What purpose does it serve within a family set up?
Why did it become a requirement for a married woman after she got married and not so in her parental household?

QUOTE=rsdalal;346848]This we have in our jat culture even today, sometime I think we need to get away with this Parda system, or do we ?[/QUOTE]

urmiladuhan
October 13th, 2013, 12:17 PM

urmiladuhan
October 13th, 2013, 12:20 PM
It seems then that you believe people migrated out of a common stock.

I love history of human migration. Things which are common among people from far away places, fascinate me the most.

rkumar
October 23rd, 2013, 05:15 AM
Do you have any theories on why it is practiced in a joint family system? What purpose does it serve within a family set up?
Why did it become a requirement for a married woman after she got married and not so in her parental household?

QUOTE=rsdalal;346848]This we have in our jat culture even today, sometime I think we need to get away with this Parda system, or do we ?[/QUOTE]

Here is an interesting write up on Purdah system among Hindu women of north India;

http://sabikpandit.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/purdah-among-hindu-women/

Seem t make lot of sense.

RK^2

rkumar
October 23rd, 2013, 05:16 AM
It seems then that you believe people migrated out of a common stock.

Yes I believe it very strongly.

RK^2

rkumar
October 23rd, 2013, 05:21 AM
History is like foundation of a building and roots of a tree. Deeper and stronger they are, more are the chances of long tern survival and progress.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
November 5th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I some times find myself reading old threads/posts on JL and I must admit they are quite entertaining. They help understand the perspectives of contemporary members as the older posts written by them are very rich in relevant content. Perhaps enjoying reading them explains why some people enjoy history and profiles of historical people/places.