PDA

View Full Version : Scientists and their Contribution

urmiladuhan
September 11th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Today is the birthday of Carl Zeiss, who was born in 1816 in Weimar, Germany. Zeiss attended, but didn't graduate from, the University of Jena, where he studied optics, among other things. He opened an optical workshop and began making microscopes. By the 1860s, he and his apprentices were making the best optical instruments in Germany. The company he founded, Carl Zeiss Jena, is still making microscopes. Happy B'Day!

cooljat
September 11th, 2013, 07:49 PM

Was he a Jat?

urmiladuhan
September 11th, 2013, 10:31 PM
What is your definition of a jat?

Was he a Jat?

rkumar
September 12th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Ziess microscopes are one of the best in industry. Their surgical microscopes are very popular among neurosurgeons. Germans dominated the optical instrument industry till 1960s when Japanese started entering the business. Now Japanse are as good as Germans as far as microscopes are concerned. However, in camera industry, Japanese have surpassed Germans by miles.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
September 12th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Zeiss lenses are quite popular in microbiology field as well. Carl Zeiss goes on to show that intelligence and initiative ness is not necessarily learnt in universities.

cooljat
September 12th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Someone who born in Jat family.

ps- B'day wishes to Zeiss thou it would make more sense if you had posted about his B'day in any of science forums.

What is your definition of a jat?

urmiladuhan
September 18th, 2013, 12:15 PM
This being a General Talk section, i take the liberty of posting some interesting science related information.

Today (18th Sept) is the birthday of Bernhard Riemann, who was born in 1826 in Breselenz, Germany. Riemann was interested in theology and mathematics. His talent for the latter prompted his teacher at the University of Göttingen, Carl Friedrich Gauss, to persuade him to become a full-time mathematician. To physicists, Riemann is best known for developing differential geometry, which Albert Einstein would later use for his theory of general relativity

urmiladuhan
September 18th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Interesting. who is a jat is quite an extensive topic and in my opinion deserves a separate thread for discussion and not suitable for this particular thread.

Someone who born in Jat family.

ps- B'day wishes to Zeiss thou it would make more sense if you had posted about his B'day in any of science forums.

urmiladuhan
September 20th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Today(20th sept) is the birthday of James Dewar, who was born in 1842 in Kincardine, Scotland. Although Dewar's scientific interests were wide, he is best remembered for two things: liquifying gases and inventing the vacuum flask. The Dewar or Thermos flask, as the product is known, proved popular for keeping drinks hot, but Dewar didn't benefit financially from his invention because he did not patent it. Courtesy: physics today.

urmiladuhan
September 30th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Today is the birthday of Jean Perrin, who was born in 1870 in Lille, France. In 1905 Albert Einstein explained Brownian motion in terms of the random motion of hypothetical tiny particles. In an experiment performed soon after, Perrin proved that those particles - and more generally, atoms - exist. He won the 1926 physics Nobel for the demonstration. Although he didn't work out the details, Perrin was also the first to suggest that nuclear fusion of hydrogen into helium is what powers the Sun and other stars

dndeswal
September 30th, 2013, 07:20 PM

Today (30 Sept.) is also the birthday of Chaudhary Gulla Ram -

http://www.jatland.com/home/Chaudhary_Gulla_Ram

दूसरों के साथ-साथ अपनों को भी याद कर लो !

DrRajpalSingh
September 30th, 2013, 07:36 PM
----edited....

urmiladuhan
September 30th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Yes. They are related in a huge way.

DrRajpalSingh
September 30th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Scientists and their contribution over the years seems to be a very useful topic for general discussion. Those members who have interest and knowledge about them are welcome to contribute their write ups here on the thread. They can pay their tribute to the scientists on their birthdays and also enumerate the importance and significances of their researches.

To begin with we can start discussion with knowing something about Aryabhatt, the great scientist of Ancient times in India.

urmiladuhan
September 30th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Dr. Rajpal, if possible, kindly merge the Carl Zeiss thread with this new thread as they both overlap in mission. I am unable to move the thread here.

Regards,

Urmila.

Scientists and their contribution over the years seems to be a very useful topic for general discussion. Those members who have interest and knowledge about them are welcome to contribute their write ups here on the thread. They can pay their tribute to the scientists on their birthdays and also enumerate the importance and significances of their researches.

To begin with we can start discussion with knowing something about Aryabhatt, the great scientist of Ancient times in India.

rkumar
September 30th, 2013, 09:43 PM
There is hardly any aspect of life which is not influenced by the research work of Car Zeiss. It would have been not only difficult but impossible for Jean Perrin to prove Brownian motion without high quality microscopes developed by Carl Zeiss. You will appreciate that how one development leads to another. Science too has its own history. Reading the following paper published as late as 2008 will help one understand how the work of Carl Zeiss proved so helpful in Jean Perrin’s Brownian motion research work.

http://www.koyre.cnrs.fr/IMG/pdf/bigg_evident_atoms_shps.pdf

RK^2

DrRajpalSingh
September 30th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Dr. Rajpal, if possible, kindly merge the Carl Zeiss thread with this new thread as they both overlap in mission. I am unable to move the thread here.

Regards,

Urmila.

As desired both threads have been merged.

urmiladuhan
October 1st, 2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the paper. It mentions that brownian motion was first observed by a botanist (Robert Brown). I think, he saw pollen grains moving randomly in a suspension when he observed them under the microscope. The name brownian motion comes from Robert Browns name i think. Later the motion was explained by physicsts such as Perrin and Einstein and others.

There is hardly any aspect of life which is not influenced by the research work of Car Zeiss. It would have been not only difficult but impossible for Jean Perrin to prove Brownian motion without high quality microscopes developed by Carl Zeiss. Being a historian yourself, you will appreciate that how one development leads to another. Science too has its own history. Reading the following paper published as late as 2008 will help one understand how the work of Carl Zeiss proved so helpful in Jean Perrin’s Brownian motion research work.

http://www.koyre.cnrs.fr/IMG/pdf/bigg_evident_atoms_shps.pdf

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 1st, 2013, 06:16 PM
Today is the b'day of C N Yang. Happy birthday C N Yang! Born in 1922 in Hefei, China, Chen-Ning Yang won a scholarship to attend graduate school at the University of Chicago, where he worked with Edward Teller and Enrico Fermi. Yang has broad interests in theoretical physics. He is best known for the field theory that he devised in 1954 with Robert Mills and for his 1956 proposal with Tsung Dao Lee that parity in weak interactions is not conserved. Yang and Lee shared the 1957 physics Nobel for their discovery

rkumar
October 3rd, 2013, 10:10 PM
Today is the b'day of C N Yang. Happy birthday C N Yang! Born in 1922 in Hefei, China, Chen-Ning Yang won a scholarship to attend graduate school at the University of Chicago, where he worked with Edward Teller and Enrico Fermi. Yang has broad interests in theoretical physics. He is best known for the field theory that he devised in 1954 with Robert Mills and for his 1956 proposal with Tsung Dao Lee that parity in weak interactions is not conserved. Yang and Lee shared the 1957 physics Nobel for their discovery

Here is the link to his Nobel Lecture delivered on 11th Dec. 1957;

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1957/yang-lecture.pdf

Concept of parity is really very interesting. It took so long for Physicists to understand the difference which Philosophers had been writing for so long. Still there are so many day to day observations in our daily life, for which there are no explanations in Science. There is no significant debate among scientists on being " identical and Similar". Look at anything in nature. They might be similar but never identical. Even two leaves from a tree can never be identical. Take all the human being on Earth. No two persons are identical in all respect. What does this mean? Based upon these and some other similar observations I postulated

1. No two electrons or for that matter any other similar particles are identical in weight or physical shape.
2. orbits of electrons in any shell cross each other like "threads in a rope"
3. Nuclear surface has breath like movements of contraction and expansion

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 4th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Today is the birthday of John Atanasoff, who was born in 1903 in Hamilton, New York. Atanasoff was working on a PhD in theoretical physics at the University of Wisconsin when the tedium of performing calculations inspired him to invent the world's first electronic computing device. The Atanasoff–Berry Computer (named after himself and his graduate student, Clifford Berry) made its debut in 1937. Although it wasn't programmable, the ABC had many of the features of modern computers, such as binary logic, Boolean operation and capacitor-based RAM. Happy b'day John Atanasof!

P.s. his family was from Bulgaria.

rkumar
October 4th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Today is the birthday of John Atanasoff, who was born in 1903 in Hamilton, New York. Atanasoff was working on a PhD in theoretical physics at the University of Wisconsin when the tedium of performing calculations inspired him to invent the world's first electronic computing device. The Atanasoff–Berry Computer (named after himself and his graduate student, Clifford Berry) made its debut in 1937. Although it wasn't programmable, the ABC had many of the features of modern computers, such as binary logic, Boolean operation and capacitor-based RAM. Happy b'day John Atanasof!

P.s. his family was from Bulgaria.

Nothing is as amazing as the improvements in computer technology. In our own lifetime the size of computer has reduced from the room size to palm size. My first encounter with a computer was in 1973 at Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad. It was a IBM 370. Those were the days of punch cards. We won't know the error in our program till next day. My next encounter with a computer was to that of a mini computer from DEC. Programming was interactive to good extent, however, speed was still a big problem. Disk storage capacity was only 16K. These were 8 byte machines. This was 1975 when Sinclair, a British company came out with modern day laptop size home computers, which became very popular among children. Miniaturization of computers started in a big way around 1980. Desktop computers started appearing in market. However, the availability was still very limited and only few labs could have these devices. To best of my knowledge UPTRON was the first in India to launch a mini computer around 1985-86. I happened to get ne of these early machines at AIIMS New Delhi. Then came the XTs and ATs from all sorts of companies. Then came the real explosion and it became almost impossible to keep track of developments. Today my laptop is many thousand times faster than the IBM 370. Imagination is the only limitation and not the power of computers.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 5th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I sent my first e.mail in 1998 I believe and that was also when I probably used Internet for the first time! That was from a desk top. I am happily amazed at the convenience factor and ease of communication via fast Internet connections and iPads. I carry iPad in my purse when on the move. Wonder what convenience will come next :)

Nothing is as amazing as the improvements in computer technology. In our own lifetime the size of computer has reduced from the room size to palm size. My first encounter with a computer was in 1973 at Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad. It was a IBM 370. Those were the days of punch cards. We won't know the error in our program till next day. My next encounter with a computer was to that of a mini computer from DEC. Programming was interactive to good extent, however, speed was still a big problem. Disk storage capacity was only 16K. These were 8 byte machines. This was 1975 when Sinclair, a British company came out with modern day laptop size home computers, which became very popular among children. Miniaturization of computers started in a big way around 1980. Desktop computers started appearing in market. However, the availability was still very limited and only few labs could have these devices. To best of my knowledge UPTRON was the first in India to launch a mini computer around 1985-86. I happened to get ne of these early machines at AIIMS New Delhi. Then came the XTs and ATs from all sorts of companies. Then came the real explosion and it became almost impossible to keep track of developments. Today my laptop is many thousand times faster than the IBM 370. Imagination is the only limitation and not the power of computers.

RK^2

rkumar
October 5th, 2013, 07:17 PM
I sent my first e.mail in 1998 I believe and that was also when I probably used Internet for the first time! That was from a desk top. I am happily amazed at the convenience factor and ease of communication via fast Internet connections and iPads. I carry iPad in my purse when on the move. Wonder what convenience will come next :)

agreed. We are now almost wired with our near and dear ones 24x7. Not only we can talk, we can see them live. One big causality of this communication has been letter writing. I remember when I was student in UK. Only mode of communication was a fortnightly letter. Same happened when I got married. My wife was doing her MD in Meerurt and I was in Delhi. Once again the only mode of communication was letter writing. There were no phones and life was really hard. Wish there were cell phones and internet in those days. Only consolation of those hard days is that I still have all the letters. Its so refreshing to read them once in while.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 6th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Today is the birthday of Robert Goddard, who was born in 1882 in Worcester, Massachusetts. Goddard earned a PhD in physics from Clark University in 1911. Three years later, he filed his first patent for rocketry. On 17 March 1926, after a decade of R&D, Goddard conducted the world's first successful launch of a liquid-fueled rocket.

Happy B'Day Robert Goddard!

rkumar
October 6th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Today is the birthday of Robert Goddard, who was born in 1882 in Worcester, Massachusetts. Goddard earned a PhD in physics from Clark University in 1911. Three years later, he filed his first patent for rocketry. On 17 March 1926, after a decade of R&D, Goddard conducted the world's first successful launch of a liquid-fueled rocket.

Happy B'Day Robert Goddard!

Rockets were already around for quite sometime. For the first time crude rockets were used by Tipu Sultan against British. Originals of those rockets are still available in British war museum.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHnjq4-Ixck

These were solid fuel rockets without gyroscopic controls. Goddard is quite a later player in the field as far as concept is concerned. His major contribution is on aerodynamics and nozzle design etc which made rockets potent enough for space travel.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blrockethistory1.htm

RK^2

rkumar
October 7th, 2013, 01:24 PM
After Optical and electron microscopes comes the neutron microscope;

http://www.science20.com/news_articles/move_over_electrons_here_comes_neutron_microscope-121773

This development should open new vistas in science.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 7th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Very interesting information. thanks for sharing :)
As the article also shows, science sometimes requires lot of patience. As per the report, Hans Wolter proposed in 1952 that neutrons can be effectively reflected and hence can be focussed into a beam, and from that point, it took these many years to finally get the idea into an application form of microscopes.
Wow! i learnt about the concept of shallow reflection through this paper even though we are taught in schools about mirage formation - but that is more as a rote learning.

After Optical and electron microscopes comes the neutron microscope;

http://www.science20.com/news_articles/move_over_electrons_here_comes_neutron_microscope-121773

This development should open new vistas in science.

RK^2

rkumar
October 7th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Very interesting information. thanks for sharing :)
As the article also shows, science sometimes requires lot of patience. As per the report, Hans Wolter proposed in 1952 that neutrons can be effectively reflected and hence can be focussed into a beam, and from that point, it took these many years to finally get the idea into an application form of microscopes.
Wow! i learnt about the concept of shallow reflection through this paper even though we are taught in schools about mirage formation - but that is more as a rote learning.

large penetration depth of neutrons and modern image processing computer algorithms are going to produce never before seen images. We should know the real impact in next few years.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 8th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Today is the b'day of Niels Bohr.

Happy 128th birthday to Niels Bohr!

Niels Bohr was a physicist from Denmark. He is most well known for the Bohr model, which theorized that electrons orbit an atom’s nucleus, similar to planets orbiting the sun. He also worked extensively in quantum mechanics.

He was awarded the 1922 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services in the investigation of the structure of atoms and of the radiation emanating from them.”

He opened Institute for Theoretical Physics of the University of Copenhagen in 1921, which would later be renamed the Niels Bohr Institute in his honor.

Other tributes to Bohr include the naming of an asteroid, 3948 Bohr, and element 107, bohrium.

Bohr passed away in 1962, at the age of 77.

More info on the life of Niels Bohr: http://bit.ly/16tGPTE

rkumar
October 8th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Neil Bohr is the first Physicist whose name makes to the first page of nuclear physics books. First half of 20th century can be called golden age of physics. here is a rare picture of greatest of the great scientists;

rkumar
October 8th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Nobel Prize in Physics goes for God Particle (Higgs Boson) discovery;

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57606461/discoverers-of-higgs-boson-a.k.a--the-god-particle-awarded-nobel-prize-in-physics/

Nice to see word Boson and God particle together. Elementary particles are called Boson after the name of great Indian Physicist SN Bose. India also made significant contributions towards cern hadron collider equipment which led to Higgs Boson discovery (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/India-has-reason-to-celebrate-with-Higgs-and-Englert-winning-Nobel-prize-for-physics/articleshow/23738500.cms)

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 9th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Today is the birthday of Karl Schwarzschild, who was born in 1873 in Frankfurt. After studying astronomy, mathematics and physics, Schwarzschild held various posts. He was the director of the Potsdam Astrophysical Observatory when World War I broke out in 1914. Despite being 40 years of age, he joined the German army. During his service on the Russian front, he worked out the first exact solution to Albert Einstein's field equations: for the case of a single, spherical, non-rotating mass

urmiladuhan
October 9th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the rare photo :).

Neil Bohr is the first Physicist whose name makes to the first page of nuclear physics books. First half of 20th century can be called golden age of physics. here is a rare picture of greatest of the great scientists;

ritu
October 9th, 2013, 08:13 PM
http://www.fnbnews.com/article/detnew.asp?articleid=32464&sectionid=3 This is contribution to the field if science by a jat scientist who is my brother too !! Dr S K Tomar ... He is working on numerous projects like these!!

urmiladuhan
October 9th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Congratulations to the proud sister!

QUOTE=ritu;349585]http://www.fnbnews.com/article/detnew.asp?articleid=32464§ionid=3 This is contribution to the field if science by a jat scientist who is my brother too !! Dr S K Tomar ... He is working on numerous projects like these!![/QUOTE]

ritu
October 9th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Congratulations to the proud sister!

QUOTE=ritu;349585]http://www.fnbnews.com/article/detnew.asp?articleid=32464§ionid=3 This is contribution to the field if science by a jat scientist who is my brother too !! Dr S K Tomar ... He is working on numerous projects like these!![/QUOTE]
Thanks urmila !!

urmiladuhan
October 9th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Looks delicious sweet lassi! The concept of carbonating lassi is quite different and novel.

http://www.fnbnews.com/article/detnew.asp?articleid=32464§ionid=3 This is contribution to the field if science by a jat scientist who is my brother too !! Dr S K Tomar ... He is working on numerous projects like these!!

rkumar
October 9th, 2013, 10:29 PM
http://www.fnbnews.com/article/detnew.asp?articleid=32464&sectionid=3 This is contribution to the field if science by a jat scientist who is my brother too !! Dr S K Tomar ... He is working on numerous projects like these!!

Lassi-cola... Hope it comes to market soon..

ritu
October 9th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Lassi-cola... Hope it comes to market soon..
http://mobile.foodnavigator-asia.com/Formulation/India-Would-you-like-some-effervescence-in-your-lassi-madam#.UlWZGJm9Kc0. I hope the same sir. I want this to happen soon too!!

urmiladuhan
October 14th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Today is the birthday of Raymond Davis, who was born in 1914 in Washington, DC. After working on radiochemistry for Monsanto, Davis joined the research staff at Brookhaven National Lab, where he supervisor famously told him "to find something interesting to work on." He decided to develop methods for detecting neutrinos via inverse beta decay. That line of research culminated in 1995 when his Homestake Experiment reported the detection of solar neutrinos at a rate 1/3 lower than expected (the discrepancy turned out to be due to neutrinos swapping flavors). Davis shared the 2002 physics Nobel for the discovery

rkumar
October 14th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Today is the birthday of Raymond Davis, who was born in 1914 in Washington, DC. After working on radiochemistry for Monsanto, Davis joined the research staff at Brookhaven National Lab, where he supervisor famously told him "to find something interesting to work on." He decided to develop methods for detecting neutrinos via inverse beta decay. That line of research culminated in 1995 when his Homestake Experiment reported the detection of solar neutrinos at a rate 1/3 lower than expected (the discrepancy turned out to be due to neutrinos swapping flavors). Davis shared the 2002 physics Nobel for the discovery

Neutrino was first postulated by Pauli in 1930 and called it neutron. Another neutral, but massive particle was discovered by Chadwick in 1932 and he too called that particle neutron. Fermi, who was working on beta decay gave the name "neutrino" ( smaller neutron) to Pauli's hypothetical particle. large number of experiments were set up world over to detect neutrino, but without much success. Most experiments centered around neutrinos emitted from sun. Being neutral and almost zero mass particle, its extremely difficult to detect it. Indirect detection through conservation of momentum principle was done in bubble chamber experiments. Entire list of experiments is given here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_neutrino_experiments). Neutrino is most interesting particle and scientists are still working on it;

http://www.gizmag.com/fermilab-neutrino-beam/28967/

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 16th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Today is the birthday of Evangelista Torricelli, who was born in 1608 in Faenza, Italy. Torricelli is best known for inventing the mercury barometer, which revealed the fluctuating pressure of Earth's atmosphere. Although he couldn't prove it, he correctly hypothesized that winds are caused by temperature differences. Torricelli also devised a mathematical surface - Torricelli's trumpet or Gabriel's horn - whose volume is finite but whose surface area is infinite. You can "make" your own Torricelli trumpet by taking the curve y = 1/x, cutting off the front from x = 0 to a non-zero positive value of x, and then rotating the curve around the x-axis

urmiladuhan
October 16th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Today is the birthday of Evangelista Torricelli, who was born in 1608 in Faenza, Italy. Torricelli is best known for inventing the mercury barometer, which revealed the fluctuating pressure of Earth's atmosphere. Although he couldn't prove it, he correctly hypothesized that winds are caused by temperature differences. Torricelli also devised a mathematical surface - Torricelli's trumpet or Gabriel's horn - whose volume is finite but whose surface area is infinite. You can "make" your own Torricelli trumpet by taking the curve y = 1/x, cutting off the front from x = 0 to a non-zero positive value of x, and then rotating the curve around the x-axis

Very interesting concept indeed. I suppose it may only be theoretical concept. It is amazing to know such concepts could be worked out without applying calculus - from what I have read.

rkumar
October 16th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Very interesting concept indeed. I suppose it may only be theoretical concept. It is amazing to know such concepts could be worked out without applying calculus - from what I have read.

Most interesting part is its theological angle according to which Archangel Gabriel as the angel blows the horn to announce Judgment Day. What a beautiful mathematical way of associating the divine, or infinite, with the finite (living being).

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 16th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Most interesting part is its theological angle according to which Archangel Gabriel as the angel blows the horn to announce Judgment Day. What a beautiful mathematical way of associating the divine, or infinite, with the finite (living being).

RK^2
The concept of God has been accepted by many scientists, the most famous one that comes to my mind is Albert Einstein, who famously said that "God does not play dice with the Universe" and that he (Einstein) is only interested in knowing the thoughts of God through his (Einstein's) work, and that if a theory is not beautiful, it is unlikely to be right, and that "God lies in details".

Gregor Mendel (the person who worked out two types of genes i.e., dominant and recessive through his work on peas) was a priest in Church/convent in Germany, I think. Yet these people thought outside the box of their religious teachings and came up with incredible ideas that were proved right.

rkumar
October 16th, 2013, 04:58 PM
[/B][/U]
The concept of God has been accepted by many scientists, the most famous one that comes to my mind is Albert Einstein, who famously said that "God does not play dice with the Universe" and that he (Einstein) is only interested in knowing the thoughts of God through his (Einstein's) work, and that if a theory is not beautiful, it is unlikely to be right, and that "God lies in details".

Gregor Mendel (the person who worked out two types of genes i.e., dominant and recessive through his work on peas) was a priest in Church/convent in Germany, I think. Yet these people thought outside the box of their religious teachings and came up with incredible ideas that were proved right.

Yes Indeed. Latest such confession is "God Particle". Long before Einstein, Swami Vivekananda spoke of mass energy concept during his famous Chicago speech. Nature's play at matter energy interface is really fascinating.

RK^2

rkumar
October 16th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Meteorite pulled out of from Lake in Russia;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24550941

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 17th, 2013, 07:23 AM
So far it is only on the basis of physical features of the rock (fusion crust and thumb like surface prints) that it is being termed a meteorite. I suppose there are more rigorous tests.

Meteorite pulled out of from Lake in Russia;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24550941

RK^2

rkumar
October 17th, 2013, 07:56 AM
So far it is only on the basis of physical features of the rock (fusion crust and thumb like surface prints) that it is being termed a meteorite. I suppose there are more rigorous tests.

Correct. Meteorites are very different than other similar looking rocks on Earth. While in space, Meteorites are exposed to intense cosmic rays and that changes their composition for trapped rare gases. Composition of these gases is studied by mass-spectrometry. Through rare gas isotropic ratio studies one can find a lot about the age and trajectory of these meteorites.

RK^2

rkumar
October 18th, 2013, 04:06 AM
Here is an interesting news report on multiple human species idea scientists have been talking about for a long time;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24564375

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 19th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I am so happy to read this :)

One of the first women to earn a PhD in computer sciences and the very first woman to receive one in the US was a nun. Her name was Mary Kenneth Keller and she helped in the development of the computer language BASIC at Dartmouth College. Keller founded the Computer Science Department at Iowa's Clarke College and established a master’s degree program for computer application in education.

rkumar
October 21st, 2013, 07:07 PM
I am so happy to read this :)

One of the first women to earn a PhD in computer sciences and the very first woman to receive one in the US was a nun. Her name was Mary Kenneth Keller and she helped in the development of the computer language BASIC at Dartmouth College. Keller founded the Computer Science Department at Iowa's Clarke College and established a master’s degree program for computer application in education.

Ever heard of Grace Hopper ? She was the real mother of computer science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 22nd, 2013, 02:36 PM
I recognised her once I saw her photo in the link you provided. Yes, a very inspiring woman! I read somewhere that it was due to world war that many women got executive, senior research positions, as men were engaged with war efforts. During these times, many women got opportunities to work on machines, computer languages etc and thus new inventions were done by them.

Ever heard of Grace Hopper ? She was the real mother of computer science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

RK^2

rkumar
October 23rd, 2013, 07:19 AM
I recognised her once I saw her photo in the link you provided. Yes, a very inspiring woman! I read somewhere that it was due to world war that many women got executive, senior research positions, as men were engaged with war efforts. During these times, many women got opportunities to work on machines, computer languages etc and thus new inventions were done by them.

There are some records in Science which only a woman holds and no man has been able to surpass that. Marie Curie is the one who got Nobel Prize in Chemistry and Physics both. Not only that, her daughter and husband too got the Noble Prize. This is one family which holds the record of entire family getting the noble prize. I am very doubtful that Marie Curie's record will ever be broken. There is an interesting connection India had with Curie. Bollywood actress Leela Naidu's father Dr Ramaiah Naidu, worked with Marie Curie on Radium. Dr Naidu was the Physicist who joined Tata memorial Hospital in Mumbai and started the Radium treatment for Ca cervix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattipati_Ramaiah_Naidu).

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 23rd, 2013, 12:42 PM
Interesting!

Madam Curie was a very hard working woman. I have read her biography. Her husband died an accidental death in the early years of her marriage and she was left to raise 2 daughters alone, while working long hours in the laboratory. Her husband was also her work companion in the laboratory. Madam Curie was a strong woman. She continued her work and the work that she did after her husbands death was awarded Nobel Prize. Great woman indeed!

There are some records in Science which only a woman holds and no man has been able to surpass that. Marie Curie is the one who got Nobel Prize in Chemistry and Physics both. Not only that, her daughter and husband too got the Noble Prize. This is one family which holds the record of entire family getting the noble prize. I am very doubtful that Marie Curie's record will ever be broken. There is an interesting connection India had with Curie. Bollywood actress Leela Naidu's father Dr Ramaiah Naidu, worked with Marie Curie on Radium. Dr Naidu was the Physicist who joined Tata memorial Hospital in Mumbai and started the Radium treatment for Ca cervix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattipati_Ramaiah_Naidu).

RK^2

Samarkadian
October 28th, 2013, 01:14 AM
See if this guy fit the list :-

http://www.ufoevidence.org/documents/doc259.htm

urmiladuhan
October 28th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Your written words shall give me something to comment upon. Otherwise, there are so many websites on the net, and so many views that one can have a look at.

See if this guy fit the list :-

http://www.ufoevidence.org/documents/doc259.htm

DrRajpalSingh
October 28th, 2013, 08:08 AM

RK^2

Very enlightening post for which you deserve our thanks.

rkumar
October 28th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Very enlightening post for which you deserve our thanks.

Thanks a lot for your appreciations.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 29th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Today is the birthday of Abram Fedorovich Ioffe who was born in Romny, a small town in the Russian Empire (and now in Ukraine) in 1880. He studied at the Saint Petersburg State Institute of Technology and then earned his Ph.D. under Wilhelm Roentgen at Munich University in 1905. Independently of Robert Millikan, he determined the the charge of the electron by balancing charged microparticles in an electric field against gravity. The Ioffe Physico-Technical Institute and a crater on the Moon were named in his honor.

Happy B day to Abram!

urmiladuhan
October 30th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Today is the birthday of Homi Jehangir Bhabha, who was born in 1909 in Bombay, India. After studying mathematics and nuclear physics at Cambridge University, he was visiting India on holiday in 1939 when World War II began and decided to stay in his home country and took a job at the Indian Institute of Science. In 1945, he worked with J.R.D. Tata to establish the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research in Bombay.

Happy b'day to Homi Jehangir Bhabha!

rkumar
October 30th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Today is the birthday of Homi Jehangir Bhabha, who was born in 1909 in Bombay, India. After studying mathematics and nuclear physics at Cambridge University, he was visiting India on holiday in 1939 when World War II began and decided to stay in his home country and took a job at the Indian Institute of Science. In 1945, he worked with J.R.D. Tata to establish the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research in Bombay.

Happy b'day to Homi Jehangir Bhabha!

He was a great visionary. Indian science will always remain grateful to him.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
November 7th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Today is the birthday of Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman, who was born in 1888 in Tiruchirappalli, India. In 1928 he found that when light passes through a substance, some of the scattered light changes wavelength. Raman's discovery not only provided evidence of the quantum nature of light and matter; it also led to new spectroscopic technologies. He was awarded the 1930 physics Nobel "for his work on the scattering of light and for the discovery of the effect named after him"

Happy B'Day!

rkumar
November 8th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Today is the birthday of Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman, who was born in 1888 in Tiruchirappalli, India. In 1928 he found that when light passes through a substance, some of the scattered light changes wavelength. Raman's discovery not only provided evidence of the quantum nature of light and matter; it also led to new spectroscopic technologies. He was awarded the 1930 physics Nobel "for his work on the scattering of light and for the discovery of the effect named after him"

Happy B'Day!

He was the first Physics Nobel laureate from Asia. Interestingly his nephew Prof Subramanyan Chandrasekhar too got the Nobel Prize. Majority of Indian Nobel Prizes have Bengal connection. Raman too was working in Calcutta in Governments' Finance department. He used to do his physics experiments in the laboratory of Indian association for the cultivation of science during his spare time. It is here that Raman did most of his path breaking research work.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
November 13th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Today is the birthday of Abraham Flexner, who was born in 1866 in Louisville, Kentucky. After studying medicine, Flexner devoted the rest of his life to reforming education in schools and universities. His friendship with philanthropists Louis Bamberger and Caroline Bamberger Fuld led to the foundation in 1930 of the Institute for Advanced Study, an independent postgraduate center for theoretical research and intellectual inquiry located in Princeton. Flexner served as IAS's first director and recruited, among others, Albert Einstein, John von Neumann and Kurt Gödel. IAS remains a center of excellence.

urmiladuhan
November 15th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Today is the birthday of William Herschel, who was born in 1738 in Hanover, Germany. Herschel's first career was as a musician and composer. Having left Germany at the age of 19 for England, he began a second career as a telescope builder and astronomer. He discovered Uranus, two of its moons and two moons of Saturn. He also mapped the Milky Way and discovered infrared radiation

Amazing work!

rkumar
November 16th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Today is the birthday of William Herschel, who was born in 1738 in Hanover, Germany. Herschel's first career was as a musician and composer. Having left Germany at the age of 19 for England, he began a second career as a telescope builder and astronomer. He discovered Uranus, two of its moons and two moons of Saturn. He also mapped the Milky Way and discovered infrared radiation

Amazing work!

Really amazing man with such diverse interests. I know of many scientists who were good in playing a particular instrument, but not many who started their career from music and ended up scientists. Einstein used to play violin. Our own CV Raman did lot of work on drum sounds. Even late Prof Raja Ramanna was a good piano and violin player.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
November 20th, 2013, 09:17 AM
A day or 2 ago, it was the birthday of Mikhail Lomonosov, who was born in 1711 on an island near Arkhangelsk, Russia. Lomonosov was a prominent scientist during the Russian Enlightenment. He made contributions to physics and other sciences. He was the first to freeze elemental mercury and the first to hypothesize, based on observations, that Venus has an atmosphere

Cool!

cooljat
November 20th, 2013, 09:25 PM

डॉ. फ़्रेडरिक सेंगर का कल निधन हो गया।

डॉ. सेंगर ने इंसुलिन नामक प्रोटीन को सीक्वेंस (सूचीबद्ध) किया था और इसी के कारण डायबिटीज़ के मरीज़ों को इंसुलिन उपलब्ध हो पाया। इस खोज के लिए 1958 में डॉ. सेंगर को रसायन शास्त्र का नोबेल पुरस्कार दिया गया।

1980 में उन्हें एक बार फिर से रसायन शास्त्र का नोबेल पुरस्कार दिया गया! इस बार उन्हें यह सम्मान न्यूक्लिक एसिड को सीक्वेंस करने के लिए दिया गया था। इससे विभिन्न जीवों के डी.एन.ए. को समझने में मदद मिली और बहुत-सी बीमारियों के बेहतर इलाज की खोज आसान हुई।

डॉ. सेंगर जैसे वैज्ञानिक मानवता के रत्न हैं। इंसुलिन की उपलब्धता ने करोड़ों जाने बचाई हैं और करोड़ों लोगों को बेहतर जीवन का वरदान दिया है।
डॉ. सेंगर को हार्दिक श्रद्धांजली।

urmiladuhan
November 21st, 2013, 01:25 PM
Dr. Sanger, a British, was 95 when he died. He is known to be quite a self effacing person and loved gardening. Part of his research actives were self financed.

डॉ. फ़्रेडरिक सेंगर का कल निधन हो गया।

डॉ. सेंगर ने इंसुलिन नामक प्रोटीन को सीक्वेंस (सूचीबद्ध) किया था और इसी के कारण डायबिटीज़ के मरीज़ों को इंसुलिन उपलब्ध हो पाया। इस खोज के लिए 1958 में डॉ. सेंगर को रसायन शास्त्र का नोबेल पुरस्कार दिया गया।

1980 में उन्हें एक बार फिर से रसायन शास्त्र का नोबेल पुरस्कार दिया गया! इस बार उन्हें यह सम्मान न्यूक्लिक एसिड को सीक्वेंस करने के लिए दिया गया था। इससे विभिन्न जीवों के डी.एन.ए. को समझने में मदद मिली और बहुत-सी बीमारियों के बेहतर इलाज की खोज आसान हुई।

डॉ. सेंगर जैसे वैज्ञानिक मानवता के रत्न हैं। इंसुलिन की उपलब्धता ने करोड़ों जाने बचाई हैं और करोड़ों लोगों को बेहतर जीवन का वरदान दिया है।
डॉ. सेंगर को हार्दिक श्रद्धांजली।