PDA

View Full Version : 1 married man ends life every 9 minutes in India due to IPC 498A

Arvindc
October 3rd, 2013, 08:13 PM
Though in India, in terms of laws, feminism is far ahead than equilibrium, I didn't had an idea it's that far.

News from rediff.com:- http://www.rediff.com/news/slide-show/slide-show-1-1-married-man-ends-life-every-9-minutes-in-india/20131003.htm

Every nine minutes a married man commits suicide in India due to alleged misuse of section 498a of IPC against them, taking the toll to around a whopping 64,000 every year, says a report.

"National Crime Records Bureau statistics reveal more incidences of suicide by married men than by married women. In 2012, approximately 64,000 married men committed suicide vis-a-vis 32,000 married women," says D S Rao, president of Hridaya-Nest of Family Harmony, an NGO, quoting a survey by it.

As per Section 498a the husband of a woman or his relative who subjects her to cruelty shall be punished with imprisonment for a term of up to to three years and shall also be liable to fine.

Rao said the misuse of 498a also leads to suffering of old parents as well as the family members and relatives of the men against whom the complaints have been lodged.

"The law is not serving its purpose and is instead being used by a section of the people to vent their anger and extort married men and their families," claimed Amit Gupta, an official of the NGO.

The police say it is 'really hard' to prove the cases as false.

"Till now we have not been able to prove that these cases are false because they are cases of mental torture. How would you prove that mental torture has not taken place?" Joint CP (Crime) Pallab Kanti Ghosh said.

Criminal lawyer Kaushik Chanda agrees that Sec 498a is "misused" but said whether the suicide of married males is linked to it should be looked into.

The NGO findings is rubbished by West Bengal Women's Commission chairperson and leading women activist Sunanda Mukherjee, who feels there is still a huge section of women in the country who need to be sensitised about their rights.

"This (the findings of the NGO) is nothing but a product of male chauvinism. There is still a huge section of women who need to be sensitised about their rights and who are regularly tortured," she says.

Hridaya-Nest of Family Harmony has started helplines and is providing free counselling to the callers and victims of harassment who have been falsely implicated. Besides, it also provides knowledge sharing and legal aid.

"There are many people who come to us for help. Some of them are so mentally devastated that they are on the verge of committing suicide," says Gupta.

"We have bank of court orders and experienced members to guide the victims to fight the false cases against them under section 498a," he said.

RTI and public interest litigation are tools to fight for the rights of such men, he adds.

desijat
October 3rd, 2013, 08:37 PM
I am honestly quite shocked to read this, I knew this menace exists but never knew it was so grave.

prashantacmet
October 3rd, 2013, 08:44 PM
and i hear always that only women are the victims. Looks like in few years , "pseudo-women-harassment" will be a pet term like "pseudo-secular".

another thing is you will be hardly see any comment on this thraed from women crusaders jatni of jatland..never mind..truth hurts!

Prikshit
October 8th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Whats happening is, females who are suffering in real are hardly using it. But it is moslty used to exploit men and their families. Appropriate steps should be taken and some amendments in this section is the need of the hour.

Irony is, Law in not enforced in our country for good but it is used as a means to do bad.

rekhasmriti
October 8th, 2013, 05:37 PM
http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?35323-Domestic-Violence-SHHHHH-1st-Read

Above mentioned thread deserves one look .

rkumar
October 8th, 2013, 05:45 PM
At least I have no sympathy for the people who end their life. To me they are coward and incompetent. Feeling violated is matter of perception to a large extent and therefore purely a mental problem. Courts can never solve these problems. They need marriage counselors which are in very short supply in our society. Pre-marital grooming is another thing boys and girls need in India.

RK^2

urmiladuhan
October 9th, 2013, 07:56 PM
and i hear always that only women are the victims. Looks like in few years , "pseudo-women-harassment" will be a pet term like "pseudo-secular".

another thing is you will be hardly see any comment on this thraed from women crusaders jatni of jatland..never mind..truth hurts!

Lol! Where are they? Lol!

rekhasmriti
October 10th, 2013, 06:16 PM
"To me they are coward and incompetent"

It is easier said ......some times with every breath one goes thru so much torture that only way out is to end it .

This may not be right thread to mention this ....there is one incident I would like to share : I recall one such incident about 15 years ago , when 23 year old woman took her life . I remember the stories of how her mother-in-law and husband used to torture her everyday . I still have glimpse when she used to play with us kids , used to attend functions , my mom telling me " bhabi ko pareshan mat kar " . She was going thru hell , but I never noticed anything on her face ever.

I will never call that a Coward / Incompetent face .

Now when I think about that I realize......she did what best she could do .....so many interventions ....no support ....everyday torture ....still same. You get murdered everyday by your family /husband .......

prashantacmet
October 10th, 2013, 07:16 PM

It is easier said ......some times with every breath one goes thru so much torture that only way out is to end it .

This may not be right thread to mention this ....there is one incident I would like to share : I recall one such incident about 15 years ago , when 23 year old woman took her life . I remember the stories of how her mother-in-law and husband used to torture her everyday . I still have glimpse when she used to play with us kids , used to attend functions , my mom telling me " bhabi ko pareshan mat kar " . She was going thru hell , but I never noticed anything on her face ever.

Now when I think about that I realize......she did what best she could do .....so many interventions ....no support ....everyday torture ....still same. You get murdered everyday by your family /husband .......

Agree smiriti ji....

rkumar
October 10th, 2013, 07:34 PM

Do you think suicide is the only solution for such situations?

RK^2

rekhasmriti
October 12th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Kumar ji ,

"Do you think suicide is the only solution for such situations?"

Actually " pata nahi " , what I remember so much chaos - closed discussions - her expression less silent face . I was a kid so I was not aware what kind of interventions happened .

What I think- NOW is ......no matter how many such stories we read- educated we are -BAD RELATIONSHIP is like a CANCER . What would one do to get rid of cancer - Treatment ( Interventions + Family Meetings ...blah blah) or Amputation ( cut that part off - Separation) . But does not guaranty the cure , for a while one would feel good for sure ......later ??????

" jispar bitti hai sirf wahi janta hai " . We all can give advice sitting on other side of the problem . Taking one's own life or Fighting against ur own family -------I do not know what is better solution . What I know , nobody wants to die - Death scares the hell out of everyone .

soniadabas
October 12th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Suicide is definitely not a solution to any problem. At the same time, it is not easy to take this extreme step. I am sure people who take such steps must have gone through real hell. But escaping from reality is not a solution.
Whatever the situation is one must learn to stay calm n find a solution.

Failed marriages doesn’t mean that you end your life. I think separation is a better solution than ending your life. I have seen many people who walk out of marriage if they don’t work. They are happy .There is no need to torture yourself or torture the other person. Life is precious, and one must value it. Now coming to the thread, It is definitely sad that people are misusing the law. “Uncertainty is the only certainty there is, and knowing how to live with insecurity is the only security.” . I think this quote says it all . .

rkumar
October 12th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Kumar ji ,

"Do you think suicide is the only solution for such situations?"

Actually " pata nahi " , what I remember so much chaos - closed discussions - her expression less silent face . I was a kid so I was not aware what kind of interventions happened .

What I think- NOW is ......no matter how many such stories we read- educated we are -BAD RELATIONSHIP is like a CANCER . What would one do to get rid of cancer - Treatment ( Interventions + Family Meetings ...blah blah) or Amputation ( cut that part off - Separation) . But does not guaranty the cure , for a while one would feel good for sure ......later ??????

" jispar bitti hai sirf wahi janta hai " . We all can give advice sitting on other side of the problem . Taking one's own life or Fighting against ur own family -------I do not know what is better solution . What I know , nobody wants to die - Death scares the hell out of everyone .

Agreed. Being father of two daughters I can feel the pain. I will never like that my daughters take such step. My advice to them and anyone else is simple. Life is more precious than relationships. parents need to prepare and educate their daughters for all such eventualities. If any relation can not be maintained even with best possible efforts, better to come out of it peacefully with dignity rather take such extreme step.

RK^2