PDA

View Full Version : Making of an Officer PART ONE

bls31
November 23rd, 2013, 11:27 AM
Author’s Profile

Captain Lakshman Singh

15 July 1931 to 11 May 1962

Do the pushes and pulls of factors like family background, the value system, up-bringing, the schooling, training and the initial tenure in units have any effect in rounding the personality and honing the qualities required in an officer especially in Signals? Possibly the answer may be found by a look at the profile of my early life. If nothing else it may throw some light on hows and whys of my acts of omission and commission during those fateful days.

Born in a small town, the youngest of four children in early thirties, I was the darling of the family. My father being in Government service, we did move from place to place on his transfers.

Being the youngest had its own problems. My sister got married when I was still a child, resulting in my remaining extremely shy in female company. My elder brothers soon left for college. By and large I was left to my own devices. School had its own problem, lacking the support of elder brothers I had to face the brunt of school bullies alone, which did not do much to my self-confidence.

Being my fathers favourite I would spend a lot of time in his company even on his official outings. I was strongly influenced even as child by his honesty, integrity, fairness and capacity for hard work.

As I grew up, I would look forward to the visits from my elder brother, a towering figure in my eyes who had by now joined a Central Govt service. When he got married, my sister-in- law, by her affection for me, filled the empty space in my small world, left behind by my sister on her marriage. Possibly I would remind her of the brother left behind.

I was not bad in studies, possibly slightly above average. Unfortunately, I was not very good in games. One, I was the lone child in the house . Two, a long bout with malaria than rampant in Dehradun and later in Saharanpur, both regions of malaria carrier, the ubiquitous mosquitoes, had left me physically weak and effected my growth at critical junction in my age of growing.

College in Dehradun and University in Lucknow did help in building my self-confidence and the personality. A stay together in hostel with my middle brother also helped. I did get his support, he being in final year of MA .

Shy by nature and uncomfortable in their company I could not make any meaningful friendships with students of the opposite sex during my college years. However, some enduring friendships with other students did get formed which continued even later.

While proceeding for interview at Services Selection Board (SSB) Banglore, one of my close friends, based on my lean and thin physique, discounted my chances of being selected for the Army. Possibly that was the starting point of my journey towards developing a spirit of self-determination and will power.

bls31

DrRajpalSingh
November 25th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Author’s Profile

Captain Lakshman Singh

15 July 1931 to 11 May 1962

Do the pushes and pulls of factors like family background, the value system, up-bringing, the schooling, training and the initial tenure in units have any effect in rounding the personality and honing the qualities required in an officer especially in Signals? Possibly the answer may be found by a look at the profile of my early life. If nothing else it may throw some light on hows and whys of my acts of omission and commission during those fateful days.

Born in a small town, the youngest of four children in early thirties, I was the darling of the family. My father being in Government service, we did move from place to place on his transfers.

Being the youngest had its own problems. My sister got married when I was still a child, resulting in my remaining extremely shy in female company. My elder brothers soon left for college. By and large I was left to my own devices. School had its own problem, lacking the support of elder brothers I had to face the brunt of school bullies alone, which did not do much to my self-confidence.

Being my fathers favourite I would spend a lot of time in his company even on his official outings. I was strongly influenced even as child by his honesty, integrity, fairness and capacity for hard work.

As I grew up, I would look forward to the visits from my elder brother, a towering figure in my eyes who had by now joined a Central Govt service. When he got married, my sister-in- law, by her affection for me, filled the empty space in my small world, left behind by my sister on her marriage. Possibly I would remind her of the brother left behind.

I was not bad in studies, possibly slightly above average. Unfortunately, I was not very good in games. One, I was the lone child in the house . Two, a long bout with malaria than rampant in Dehradun and later in Saharanpur, both regions of malaria carrier, the ubiquitous mosquitoes, had left me physically weak and effected my growth at critical junction in my age of growing.

College in Dehradun and University in Lucknow did help in building my self-confidence and the personality. A stay together in hostel with my middle brother also helped. I did get his support, he being in final year of MA .

Shy by nature and uncomfortable in their company I could not make any meaningful friendships with students of the opposite sex during my college years. However, some enduring friendships with other students did get formed which continued even later.

While proceeding for interview at Services Selection Board (SSB) Banglore, one of my close friends, based on my lean and thin physique, discounted my chances of being selected for the Army. Possibly that was the starting point of my journey towards developing a spirit of self-determination and will power. bls31

Inspiring introspection, deserves reading in full detail by everyone.