PDA

View Full Version : Indian IFS Handcuffed and strip-searched in US

Prikshit
December 18th, 2013, 02:45 PM
In response to the humiliation caused to the Indian diplomat, Indian govt has taken some measures,a statemen made my khurshid
Will not return to Parliament if I fail to bring back Devyani Khobragade: Khurshid (http://www.jatland.com/india/Devyani-Khobragade-issue-Outrage-in-Parliament-govt-vows-to-bring-back-diplomat-at-any-cost/articleshow/27585578.cms)

Do you think US will change its stance, this is done repeatedly in one form of the other. Can't we act on the same line or bring in something to prevent such shame to the Nation.

Pls share your views

swaich
December 18th, 2013, 03:29 PM
What the US did is certainly uncalled for. While I may not go as far as calling it an attack on our sovereignty (as some are saying), US is in the habit of throwing its weight around everywhere and it does feel good to dish it back to them. But we should show restraint and not go overboard with the reaction at the risk of damaging long term relations.

However, I do think all this reaction from MPs and Khurshid smacks of populism as the elections are approaching. Just a few days back there was news of an Indian sailor in jail in Togo and unable to get back for his infant son's funeral. Many Indians work under harsh circumstances in the Gulf but the govt. hardly ever moves to help them. We are not good at protecting rights of our citizens in foreign countries. So all this govt. activity in this case seems to suggest you can rot in foreign jails if you are an Indian student, sailor, contract worker etc, but if you are a privileged diplomat, the govt will move mountains for you!

anilsangwan
December 18th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Before we blame USA and how our lady consulate was treated, please read this:

(Source : Wiki and other news reports)
Sangeeta Richard was hired by Devyani Khobragade in November 2012 as a nanny and domestic servant. Richard left Khobragade's employment in June 2013 and hired an American immigration attorney to investigate the alleged visa fraud. Khobragade pursued the matter with the Delhi High Court, which issued an interim injunction against Richard, preventing her from taking legal action outside the Indian judiciary.The Metropolitan Magistrate of the South District Court in New Delhi then issued an arrest warrant for Richard and requested that the US government locate her.

<Now, do'nt you think that Madam Consulate was on wrong foot in a country which is so strict about minimum wages? >

She was charged with visa fraud, making false statements and underpaying Sangeeta Richard, her Indian housekeeper and babysitter. Prosecutors indicated that Khobragade claimed to pay the housekeeper $4,500 per month while actually paying her $3.31 per hour,less than the US minimum wage.It should be noted that Khobragade herself is alleged to only make $4,120 a month

Mere hisaab se to theek hua including strip searching ( though I doubt what this Lady Consulate is saying about strip searching - if she can exploit a fellow Indian, she can tell a lie very easily). These so called diplomats have always been notorious in the past too and keep exploiting our very own people for their interest. If Madam consulate was not able to afford a nanny at full rates, she should have done her house chores on her own like how most of our NRIs do.

Ebb nakhre to raaja maharaaja aale, to le le suwaad !!!!!!

VPannu
December 18th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Internet pe padhan me aaya hai ki Devyani ka pitaji bhi IAS officer hai or Deshmukh govt k time achhe bade ohde par tha aur Adarsh land scam me isko bhi kuchh hissa mila tha. Center govt. me bhi achhi pahoch bataayi gayi iski, kaanch taayi ka hangga laa raakha se eeb to Khurshid & Co. ne. Dalit hain jaati ke ho sakta hai ye bhi factor raha ho Bharat sarkar ke is type ke reaction ka.
Galti to sabki laage hai thodi. Nokraani bhi ghaat kona, June 2013 me Devyani ka USA wala ghar chhod k bhaaj gi thi kyuki usko extra kaam karne se mana kar diya tha. agar nokraani bahar kahin kaam karti to aisa visa ke niyam ka ullanghan maana jaata.
ijjat vijjat to se nahi Bharat aala ki bahar ke deshaa me, koye ho fafed ke jaanda rah se. pahla bhi sarkar ke nikamme pan ki wajah se India students pitte the Melbourne me.
ho sakta hai iska nateeja kuchh achha hi nikle.

pawandahiya
December 18th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Sahi kaha vivek bhai. Sarkar hi itni nilkami hai ki koi b inke sir pe "urine" karke chala jata h aur ye khisyani Billi ki trah dekhte rahte h

rsdalal
December 18th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Indian Govt nikkammi hai, sirf bayan deti hai faltu ke.
Indian Govt should raise their diplomats allowances so that these people can live with dignity, or if Govt can not afford that they should reduce staff there. Most of these diplomats work outside to make extra money. (Majboori hai and I sympathize with them)
It looks like a fued between diplomat and the nanny, US Govt did whatever was needed, they just followed the complaint nanny made. I do not think US govt would have any interest to humiliate Indian nationals (Gulf countries are enough for that) These politicians are making this issue out of a non issue.

BTW Prosecutor is also a DESI guy, Preet Bhara, so no chances of racisim.

In fact It is good when these high profile diplomats/bureaucrats/ministers get this treatment outside India, otherwise they are spoiled by special treatment in India. If they do not behave they deserv it.

desijat
December 18th, 2013, 10:37 PM
BTW Prosecutor is also a DESI guy, Preet Bhara, so no chances of racisim..

People said he is doing to gain fame among NYC community and fulfill his political aspirations. He has been doing these headline grabbing cases for some time and so no one calls him to have a soft stand on India he took up a case against Indian diplomat.

Having said that what Indian govt has done was long due, and should yield good results for Indians living abroad.

rkumar
December 19th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Reciprocity is the common denominator in international or for that matter in any type of relationship. Treat Americans exactly the way they treat you. Often people like Bharara build their carrier at the cost of larger national interests. If one adds the salary of this domestic help and all other perks like food, accommodation, medical and travels to India, it should be coming to handsome amount and almost to what had been agreed. Let us do simple arithmetic to what it comes to;

1. Payments in USA / month $ 500.00
2. Payments in India/ month $ 500.00
3. One room rent in Manhattan $ 500.00 ( hope I am not too wrong)
4. Elect and other utility bills $ 200.00 ( assuming this lady had a cell phone too)
5. medical insurance $ 300.00
6. food $ 400.00
7. Clothing $ 25.00
8. home air travel $ 250.00 ( per month assuming her two annual trips to India)

Trust me, most full time office secretaries in US don't make this sort of money. Its seems the lady and some typical American lawyer had ganged up to blackmail the Indian counselor. Time to take stock of everything.

RK^2

vicky84
December 19th, 2013, 04:32 AM

Sangeeta Richard was hired by Devyani Khobragade in November 2012 as a nanny and domestic servant. Richard left Khobragade's employment in June 2013 and hired an American immigration attorney to investigate the alleged visa fraud. Khobragade pursued the matter with the Delhi High Court, which issued an interim injunction against Richard, preventing her from taking legal action outside the Indian judiciary.The Metropolitan Magistrate of the South District Court in New Delhi then issued an arrest warrant for Richard and requested that the US government locate her.

<Now, do'nt you think that Madam Consulate was on wrong foot in a country which is so strict about minimum wages? >

She was charged with visa fraud, making false statements and underpaying Sangeeta Richard, her Indian housekeeper and babysitter. Prosecutors indicated that Khobragade claimed to pay the housekeeper $4,500 per month while actually paying her $3.31 per hour,less than the US minimum wage.It should be noted that Khobragade herself is alleged to only make $4,120 a month

Mere hisaab se to theek hua including strip searching ( though I doubt what this Lady Consulate is saying about strip searching - if she can exploit a fellow Indian, she can tell a lie very easily). These so called diplomats have always been notorious in the past too and keep exploiting our very own people for their interest. If Madam consulate was not able to afford a nanny at full rates, she should have done her house chores on her own like how most of our NRIs do.

Ek number ki baat kahi sai Sangwan bhai nai!!

In developed countries mai koon rakhe sai naukar. MP dhore kimme na hota.. khud aapni gaadi nai chalakai jaawe sain.aur khud kare sain saare kaam. nyu e sarkaari karamchari. Chahe wo Cabinet secretary ho.

India mai ghane chadha rakhe sain Babu aar neta log. Ye nyu e sedhe jaange sabnai.

desijat
December 19th, 2013, 04:50 AM
India mai ghane chadha rakhe sain Babu aar neta log. Ye nyu e sedhe jaange sabnai.

What you said is true but let us look at more human angle as well. That maid was care taker of her child, being a diplomat you rome around a lot of countries and can not afford to have local care takers as your child might not learn anything due to cultural+language differences(fortunately America speaks english).

This goes for all the embassies and their staff i believe.

vicky84
December 19th, 2013, 05:18 AM
What you said is true but let us look at more human angle as well. That maid was care taker of her child, being a diplomat you rome around a lot of countries and can not afford to have local care takers as your child might not learn anything due to cultural+language differences(fortunately America speaks english).

Yes I agree. But you have to pay at least minimum wage. And if you cannot afford then don't use the services. But you cannot exploit a person. One has to follow the law. And if you don't follow then you have to pay the appropriate price too.

singhvp
December 19th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Indian Govt nikkammi hai, sirf bayan deti hai faltu ke.
Indian Govt should raise their diplomats allowances so that these people can live with dignity, or if Govt can not afford that they should reduce staff there. Most of these diplomats work outside to make extra money. (Majboori hai and I sympathize with them)
It looks like a fued between diplomat and the nanny, US Govt did whatever was needed, they just followed the complaint nanny made. I do not think US govt would have any interest to humiliate Indian nationals (Gulf countries are enough for that) These politicians are making this issue out of a non issue.

BTW Prosecutor is also a DESI guy, Preet Bhara, so no chances of racisim.

In fact It is good when these high profile diplomats/bureaucrats/ministers get this treatment outside India, otherwise they are spoiled by special treatment in India. If they do not behave they deserv it.

This is not true that most of the diplomats work outside to earn extra money. There may be sporadic cases of spouses working in some developed countries, especially English speaking, where jobs are available to foreigners. However, the salary being paid at present plus perks (furnished accommodation, cost of passage, baggage allowance, education, medical etc.) is sufficient for a comfortable living, your suggestion for further increase is not bad either to make it competitive with diplomats of some other third world countries. Obviously, the servant's intentions were malafide. Otherwise, a salary of Rs. 30,000 plus a free accommodation, medical, travelling allowance, food etc. was not bad. Probably, she wanted to settle down in US and our Indian American well-wishers might have abetted her to indulge in this gambit.

Anyway, John Kerry is said to have spoken to National Security Advisor Shri Menon and has conveyed US apology, (Courtesy: CNN IBN).

singhvp
December 19th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Yes I agree. But you have to pay at least minimum wage. And if you cannot afford then don't use the services. But you cannot exploit a person. One has to follow the law. And if you don't follow then you have to pay the appropriate price too.

Vicky, the contract of $4500 was just a formality to facilitate visa to the domestic assistant. But, the lady assistant knew it very well what actually she was going to get as wages. Moreover, if she was not happy, she could have cancelled the contract at some later stage also. She betrayed Devyani's confidence for ulterior motives. For the sake of argument, even if Devyani was found guilty of breach of contract or forgery, the treatment meted out to her was disproportionate to her crime. Certainly, it was humiliation inflicted upon the entire Indian nation.

vicky84
December 19th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Vicky, the contract of $4500 was just a formality to facilitate visa to the domestic assistant. But, the lady assistant knew it very well what actually she was going to get as wages. Moreover, if she was not happy, she could have cancelled the contract at some later stage also. She betrayed Devyani's confidence for ulterior motives. For the sake of argument, even if Devyani was found guilty of breach of contract or forgery, the treatment meted out to her was disproportionate to her crime. Certainly, it was humiliation inflicted upon the entire Indian nation.

Sir, kal ko to aise Indian Companies bhi karne lag jaayengi. Employees ko bulao India se aur unko low salary dekar karwa lo saare kaam aur profit bana lo.

Abhi picche Infosys bhi pakdi gayi thi yehi chalaki karne ki wagah se. Wo local American ne Infosys ke karnamo ko expose kiya tha. Otherwise to Infosys bhi aise hi exploit karti rehti employees ko.

rkumar
December 19th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Read this;

Feds: Man Held in Reno Supported India Terrorism (http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/feds-man-held-reno-supported-india-terrorism-21269570}

Looks like Americans have learned some lesson at least for now. How come suddenly they have found this man and arrested him ? Whole episode needs serious investigation as there are too many loose ends. Just few days before the arrest of Divyani, the family of domestic help got asylum in USA ? Who organized the asylum and on what grounds? Is there a group in USA who is bent upon spoiling Indo-US relations? Time for India to expose this group. Also some lessons for our diplomats. Follow the rules in letter and spirit and ensure that rule of reciprocity is followed strictly.

RK^2

rkumar
December 19th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Family of Devyani’s maid whisked off to US 2 days before diplomat’s arrest (http://www.niticentral.com/2013/12/18/devyani-khobragade-shifted-to-permanent-mission-in-new-york-170036.html)

After going through this news item whole thing looks very fishy. Well played game by maid and the people around her.

RK^2

vicky84
December 19th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Foreign media on the same: Excerpts:

New York (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/New-York) Times pointed out: "It is not unusual in India for domestic staff to be paid poorly and be required to work more than 60 hours a week; they are sometimes treated abominably. Reports of maids being imprisoned or abused by their employers are frequent," said Gardiner Harris in his NYT report, adding, "The idea of a middle-class woman being arrested and ordered to disrobe is seen as shocking."

The newspapers also outlined how incidents of stripsearches, pat-downs and interrogations at airports have earlier made news in the country. "Top Indian officials are exempt from security screenings here, and long lists of officials who are permitted to bypass the screenings are posted at many Indian airports. When those officials are required to pass through security screenings in the US and elsewhere, that fact often makes headlines in India and is seen by some as an insult to the country," wrote Harris.

anilsangwan
December 19th, 2013, 11:44 AM
So, based on this, one should start exploiting others???? Bullshit !

anilsangwan
December 19th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Vicky bhai, Yahaan kuchh log aise chaaploos hain ki kitni bhi seedhi baat ko bhi naa samajhne ka dhong karte hain!!!! Chalo saare diplomats to badhiya salary milti ho yaa milti ho....... unko koi haq nahi ki kisi ka shoshan karein....... Itna dum hai to uss desh mein $500 per month mein naukar raakh kyu naa lete.... Shoshan aali baat ne chup chaap hazam kar jyaan sein khud ke convenience ke khatir !!!

Theek hai, maan liya ki maid was getting almost Rs50,000 per month. Lekin koi inse poochhe ki Jis desh mein rehte hain wahaan ka kanoon to maan-na padega ki nahi.... ya fir diplomat ho to rules todd doge.........Pata nahi illogical arguments likh ke log apne aap ko bahut samajhdaar maante hain log yahaan....

Once again, theek hoya uske gail - dando se pitaayi hoti uski to aur bhi badhiya hota !!! Unke jaise uske doosre colleagues ko bhi sabak milta !!! JAB INDIA KA CONSULATE HI APNE DESH KE LOGON KA SHOSHAN KAR RAHA HAI TO AMREEKA SE KYA UMEED AUR KYU ?? ISS BAARE MEIN SOCHO !!!

Foreign media on the same: Excerpts:

New York (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/New-York) Times pointed out: "It is not unusual in India for domestic staff to be paid poorly and be required to work more than 60 hours a week; they are sometimes treated abominably. Reports of maids being imprisoned or abused by their employers are frequent," said Gardiner Harris in his NYT report, adding, "The idea of a middle-class woman being arrested and ordered to disrobe is seen as shocking."

The newspapers also outlined how incidents of stripsearches, pat-downs and interrogations at airports have earlier made news in the country. "Top Indian officials are exempt from security screenings here, and long lists of officials who are permitted to bypass the screenings are posted at many Indian airports. When those officials are required to pass through security screenings in the US and elsewhere, that fact often makes headlines in India and is seen by some as an insult to the country," wrote Harris.

ssgoyat
December 19th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Ohoo... merle ek dost (jo ki navy me afsar h, eqv to Major) ki bahu birdaya kare.... ak 500 rapiye dene pade se maid ne..usne we e ghane lagge se..

arr jawab me ke argument..
ak us tahi servant quarter (ek kamre ala) de rakhya se free me > to aur ke wo unn bhi kiraye pe chaddhe tha janu, ak uske pisse atte
bijli ka bill mhaamne bharna pade se...> buddhi lugai se arr budhla maanas (ek tubelight arr pankhda le rahe se bechare bas) usme ke ghane laag jyaa se..
dry ration & saag sabji masalla dena pade se > fer wo to free ka sarkari bachda hod de se... tere ke ghar ke pisse laage se...
budhla bechara hude haspatal me lift operator se... bechare kaat rahe se dann

saari haan budlhi baalak ne khilayi jaya kare daddi ki dhaal.... ekla baalak ke ronde ki awaaj sunke jhatt de si aawe se... kade rotti-paani-chaa banvai jaya karo uspe... uske working hours te je uske khud ki rotti povan ke arr sonn ke kaadh dya to....15 ghante hain..

thaam aade baat karo angrejja ki....

india me bera na kad minimum wage act banega ruhh sarr ka...ar dhang me laagu hoga

VirJ
December 19th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Servant is similar to slave. It is a term banned in the western world. Can't believe that Indians who them self were victim of slavery treat their own people as slaves.

Prikshit
December 19th, 2013, 03:28 PM
A mix of reactions from fellow Jatlanders, some say the act was justified, some are miffed up of what happend to her. Never seen govt. taking so much pain for acts which happend in past as well. Justifications from both the sides sound relevant.
Interesting to see what comes out of it in long term, US is not going to change it stance it seems.

desijat
December 19th, 2013, 08:37 PM
US is not going to change it stance it seems.

They are on a backfoot here, already expressed regret.

desijat
December 19th, 2013, 08:40 PM
A good article in DNA questioning a lot of things that happened: http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-india-us-diplomat-row-the-devyani-khobragade-case-looks-all-maid-up-1937478

rkumar
December 19th, 2013, 09:27 PM
A good article in DNA questioning a lot of things that happened: http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-india-us-diplomat-row-the-devyani-khobragade-case-looks-all-maid-up-1937478

Another well written and balanced article by a CNN reporter from USA;

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/18/opinion/navarrette-india-strip-search/

looks like Americans will end with their foot in mouth on the entire issue. Over ambitious Preet Bharara will also realize the damage his actions have done to Indo-US relations. After effects of this incident will reverberate for quite sometime now. Bad diplomacy indeed.

RK^2

desijat
December 19th, 2013, 09:34 PM
looks like Americans will end with their foot in mouth on the entire issue. Over ambitious Preet Bharara will also realize the damage his actions have done to Indo-US relations. After effects of this incident will reverberate for quite sometime now.

RK^2
Salman Khurshid said no need to give him that importance, and US has already distanced themselves from his press release yesterday.

rkumar
December 19th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Servant is similar to slave. It is a term banned in the western world. Can't believe that Indians who them self were victim of slavery treat their own people as slaves.

Who says the term is banned ? Have a look at this US Embassy link where term "personal Servent" is very much in use.

http://malabo.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas/personal/domestic-employees.html

RK^2

rkumar
December 19th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Salman Khurshid said no need to give him that importance, and US has already distanced themselves from his press release yesterday.

In strict technical terms our counselor has violated the US law. However, US law has been applied selectively and with bad intentions. Domestic help in question knew fully well the amount she is going to get in real. If she had any problem, she should have refused to go to USA. How many countries' counselors can afford to pay US minimum wages? However, its a good lesson for India also. Let there be a clear cut policy on domestic helpers being taken out on such jobs. Also there is need to apply Indian labor laws on domestic helps being hired by foreigners in India.

RK^2

Samarkadian
December 19th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Dhed n dhed sedh ga ga ar do desha m tension hogi.. lol

anilsangwan
December 20th, 2013, 04:53 AM
In my opinion this dholsira Khurshid is the person who shouldnt be given any importance !! Baat to aise karta hai Jaise USA ki band baja dega, basss ka nahi kuchhh! We have already seen him n his reactions when pakistan beheaded our Jawans!!

desijat
December 20th, 2013, 04:57 AM
Me, and a lot of people are happy at what India has done in this case, you may not agree because of ideological differences with the party he belongs to.

In my opinion this dholsira Khurshid is the person who shouldnt be given any importance !! Baat to aise karta hai Jaise USA ki band baja dega, basss ka nahi kuchhh! We have already seen him n his reactions when pakistan beheaded our Jawans!!

vicky84
December 20th, 2013, 05:00 AM
In strict technical terms our counselor has violated the US law.
RK^2

Ms. Khobragade is the third Indian diplomat stationed in New York City in recent years to be accused of exploiting a domestic servant. In 2011, a maid accused Prabhu Daval of forcing her to work like a slave and sleep in a storage cupboard, and of confiscating her passport. In 2010, a judge ordered Neena Malhotra and her husband, Jogesh, to pay nearly $1.5 million for forcing an Indian girl to work without pay and meting out “barbaric treatment.”

Domestic servants in India routinely work dawn to dusk and six or seven days a week for minuscule wages. Their presence is ubiquitous in Indian middle-class and upper-class households, and many Indians of a certain class seemingly find it hard to imagine life without them — particularly families with children.

VirJ
December 20th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Who says the term is banned ? Have a look at this US Embassy link where term "personal Servent" is very much in use.

http://malabo.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas/personal/domestic-employees.html

RK^2

Lot of people consider this term derogatory in western world. As far as I know this term is not used in print media anymore. It could be in the visa form due to historical or technical reason. Anyway this wasnt the main point of my post.

After the ban on slavery Britisher started to employ locals to do their dirty and mundane work. They even started to bring them in UK. They started to facilitate visa and travel for them.

Irony is that they have stopped doing this but now Indians started exploting their own people.

anilsangwan
December 20th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Exactly !!!!! But the "bikaau" media and "weak" govt both are trying to prove as if Ms Khobragade had done nothing and she is being targeted by USA ( saare kaam chhod ke bass yahi kaam bacha hai USA ke paas)

Galat kaam karegi to aise results to bhugtegi hi. Apni Aulaad khud paal leti agar afford nahi kar sakti thee helper ki US$ salary. Lekin aaraam "maharaani" ka chahiye aur paise dete waqt sirf Indian standard ki salary....... Iss Madam Khobragade se koi poochhey, Usko agar India waali Salary pe USA mein naukri karni pade to kya wo karegi ???? Bilkul nahi !!!

And some people are defending her blindly because Congress led Indian govt is doing so !!!

Ms. Khobragade is the third Indian diplomat stationed in New York City in recent years to be accused of exploiting a domestic servant. In 2011, a maid accused Prabhu Daval of forcing her to work like a slave and sleep in a storage cupboard, and of confiscating her passport. In 2010, a judge ordered Neena Malhotra and her husband, Jogesh, to pay nearly $1.5 million for forcing an Indian girl to work without pay and meting out “barbaric treatment.”

Domestic servants in India routinely work dawn to dusk and six or seven days a week for minuscule wages. Their presence is ubiquitous in Indian middle-class and upper-class households, and many Indians of a certain class seemingly find it hard to imagine life without them — particularly families with children.

Prikshit
December 20th, 2013, 10:26 AM
They are on a backfoot here, already expressed regret.
Regret is not sufficient, we want an apology (A statement from UPA)

anilsangwan
December 20th, 2013, 11:26 AM
.......................... Thankfully, you did not bring "secularism" in picture here.... :livid:

I am surprised why didnt Mr Khurshid say that USA has targetted Ms Khobragade becasue she is a "dalit" from Maharashtra..... Oops, can not stop laughing at the logic given by you !!! ( Of course, he will have to explain meaning of "dalit" to US counterparts :-). Third class !!!

Me, and a lot of people are happy at what India has done in this case, you may not agree because of ideological differences with the party he belongs to.

rkumar
December 20th, 2013, 07:54 PM
This incidence makes few things very clear;

1. Our diplomats are not only corrupt but stupid also. This stupid Devyani did not learn the lesson even after many such incidents of maids vs Indian diplomats in USA.
2. Americans know very well that most diplomats from third world countries bring maids to USA with similar false documents in violation of local labor laws. This gives Americans a good handle to invoke local law any time when it suits them the most. Who knows how these stupid diplomats might be getting blackmailed in the process and parting with state secrets.
3. Corrupt diplomats like Devyani ( who is also a beneficiary of Adarsh Society scam) try to hid behind whipped up patriotism when chips go down as in the present case.

In conclusion my thumbs up for the maid who outsmarted these stupid diplomats. Third or fourth similar incidence of maid vs Indian diplomats proves beyond any doubt that our diplomats are incompetent and idiots of the highest order. Seeing Devyani behind American bars will be a very small price for India to teach these stupid diplomats a lesson in international politics. Also this will bring realism in Indo-US relations.

RK^2

desijat
December 20th, 2013, 08:37 PM
... Iss Madam Khobragade se koi poochhey, Usko agar India waali Salary pe USA mein naukri karni pade to kya wo karegi ???? Bilkul nahi !!!
!!!

FYI- Diplomats of any country work on local salaries, with living allowances. And if you compare that to Richards case- she was getting more than allowances.

desijat
December 20th, 2013, 08:38 PM
.......................... Thankfully, you did not bring "secularism" in picture here.... :livid:

I am surprised why didnt Mr Khurshid say that USA has targetted Ms Khobragade becasue she is a "dalit" from Maharashtra..... Oops, can not stop laughing at the logic given by you !!! ( Of course, he will have to explain meaning of "dalit" to US counterparts :-). Third class !!!

I have left that job for Azam Khan: http://www.rediff.com/news/report/azam-khan-offers-sp-ticket-to-devyani-khobragade/20131219.htm

anilsangwan
December 20th, 2013, 11:15 PM
True word by word !!!! Jo na samjhe woh diplomat ya unka chaaploos!!
This incidence makes few things very clear;

1. Our diplomats are not only corrupt but stupid also. This stupid Devyani did not learn the lesson even after many such incidents of maids vs Indian diplomats in USA.
2. Americans know very well that most diplomats from third world countries bring maids to USA with similar false documents in violation of local labor laws. This gives Americans a good handle to invoke local law any time when it suits them the most. Who knows how these stupid diplomats might be getting blackmailed in the process and parting with state secrets.
3. Corrupt diplomats like Devyani ( who is also a beneficiary of Adarsh Society scam) try to hid behind whipped up patriotism when chips go down as in the present case.

In conclusion my thumbs up for the maid who outsmarted these stupid diplomats. Third or fourth similar incidence of maid vs Indian diplomats proves beyond any doubt that our diplomats are incompetent and idiots of the highest order. Seeing Devyani behind American bars will be a very small price for India to teach these stupid diplomats a lesson in international politics. Also this will bring realism in Indo-US relations.

RK^2

rkumar
December 21st, 2013, 05:45 AM
Please have a look at today's news item;

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Devyani-Khobragade-made-false-statement-to-get-Adarsh-flat-Panel/articleshow/27694418.cms

It seems this lady diplomat is a habitual offender when coming to giving false statements. She needs to be punished even under government service rules on this account. How can such persons be fit for foreign service? I fail to understand why this lady is being protected under the false premise of national honor. She needs to be fired from her job too.

RK^2

krishdel
December 21st, 2013, 12:09 PM
Learn the respect for Law from US and patriotism from Preet Bharara , Preet being an Indian by origin, he learned and got job in USA and than get power from there , he has shown the faithfulness to US, Indian Muslim should learn something from this. Some muslim are good but majority need to learn lesson from Preet Bharara that Nation where you live and earn need to be respected and common law need to be given value by heart.

krishdel
December 21st, 2013, 12:16 PM
I remember Chaudhary Charan Singh speech during college days, that time he stressed that India can never grow unless the worker are not paid well for their work, this IFS lady has done an offence by not paying as per law to her maid.
Indian Govt. should not protect her and her protection is sending wrong message in world.

Why Kejriwal is silent on this.
AAP party should also speak on this. The issue is very sensitive. If AAP does not speak on this that means AAP is not serious about change in society.

Please have a look at today's news item;

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Devyani-Khobragade-made-false-statement-to-get-Adarsh-flat-Panel/articleshow/27694418.cms

It seems this lady diplomat is a habitual offender when coming to giving false statements. She needs to be punished even under government service rules on this account. How can such persons be fit for foreign service? I fail to understand why this lady is being protected under the false premise of national honor. She needs to be fired from her job too.

RK^2

anilsangwan
December 21st, 2013, 01:07 PM
I have left that job for Azam Khan: http://www.rediff.com/news/report/azam-khan-offers-sp-ticket-to-devyani-khobragade/20131219.htm
Bro, Hope you maintain this standard in future as well ! Also, ms devyani's property in india is also higher than her income and under lens ---- !!

swaich
December 21st, 2013, 05:28 PM
Learn the respect for Law from US and patriotism from Preet Bharara , Preet being an Indian by origin, he learned and got job in USA and than get power from there , he has shown the faithfulness to US, Indian Muslim should learn something from this. Some muslim are good but majority need to learn lesson from Preet Bharara that Nation where you live and earn need to be respected and common law need to be given value by heart.

Needless grinding of axe. What do Indian Muslims have got to do with this incident?

Bharara's parents migrated to the US. He is following the country's law and help catch offenders. The problem in this case is that US itself selectively applies diplomatic immunity to its own citizens in other countries but expects every country to follow it to the T.

krishdel
December 21st, 2013, 05:53 PM
Respect the law where they live, help in curbing terrorism are they muslims can help a lot.
As Bharara is respecting the US law, he stayed with with law and not with ethnic grouping.

Needless grinding of axe. What do Indian Muslims have got to do with this incident?

Bharara's parents migrated to the US. He is following the country's law and help catch offenders. The problem in this case is that US itself selectively applies diplomatic immunity to its own citizens in other countries but expects every country to follow it to the T.

anilsangwan
December 21st, 2013, 06:33 PM
Now off late even India media has seen the corrupt face of this madam and her father's assets, there are no stories about this on any news channel ! Also, dholsira khurshid has revised his statement as very milder one !!! Sab ke sab chaaploos! Duniya is confused whether US did right or wrong !!!!

anilsangwan
December 21st, 2013, 06:36 PM
Oops, this was similar to Digvijay Singh calling rahul gandhi a kid :-)
What a logic given to support the exploitation !!!!!!! Hats off !!

rkumar
December 21st, 2013, 08:49 PM
Oops, this was similar to Digvijay Singh calling rahul gandhi a kid :-)
What a logic given to support the exploitation !!!!!!! Hats off !!

Anil,

There many angles of this fight ;

1. India-America fight ... Do jhotton ke ladayee... eik eik seeng dono ka tutta firree
2. Maid vs Diplomat... Maid ne Diplomat ko aisa dhawwa mara ki diplomat kalabadi khaagi.. Diplomat yaad karegi oomar bhar cavity search ki..
3. Public: public ke liye bina ticket ka dangal... swad aa giya...
4. Preet Bharara: bhai ka bhi thora bahut bhorad sa to uth hi gaya.. Usse bhi pata chal giya ke wall street ki kushti aur international kushti me bahut farak hai.

RK^2

swaich
December 21st, 2013, 10:53 PM
Respect the law where they live, help in curbing terrorism are they muslims can help a lot.
As Bharara is respecting the US law, he stayed with with law and not with ethnic grouping.

And I am sure in your opinions its just the Muslims in India who don't follow laws. All others are pious souls that eschew violence, embrace all the laws and patriotic to the core! Look within before accusing others.

krishdel
December 22nd, 2013, 05:48 PM
I equally respect the Muslims but there are some elements who need to respect the law as Preet did in USA. Sorry if it hurts your sentiments.

And I am sure in your opinions its just the Muslims in India who don't follow laws. All others are pious souls that eschew violence, embrace all the laws and patriotic to the core! Look within before accusing others.

rkumar
December 22nd, 2013, 06:11 PM
Latest on the subject is that this lady diplomat is married to a US citizen;

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/devyani-khobragade-case-resolution-complicated-by-marriage-to-us-born-wine-philosopher/articleshow/27746397.cms?curpg=2

What will India do if her husband is also made co-accused in the case ? Technically it is possible to charge him also as he remained silent to a crime which was happening in his presence. Moreover her husband who is a professor could very well afford to pay the difference as he too was availing the services of the maid. Wish Americans take notice of this and book him as well.

RK^2

rkumar
December 22nd, 2013, 07:13 PM
Here is another story on this lady;

MEA 'bent' rules to favour Devyani Khobragade (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/MEA-bent-rules-to-favour-Devyani-Khobragade/articleshow/27744181.cms)

It really stinks.

RK^2

spdeshwal
December 22nd, 2013, 07:28 PM
RK ji

By now we should have realised that this lady Sangeeta had planed this even before leaving India!
Also we can't single out Devyani as all most all the diplomats who hire Domestic servants follow this practice of paying wages not comparable with the minimum wages of the particular country! In fact to the Indian standards, she was probably paid nicely! Rs.15000-30000 remitted to family every month. Free Furnished accommodation, Free Food, Unlimited medical insurance! More over, she has a special passport that issued to all people working for Indian government!

Cheers!

rkumar
December 22nd, 2013, 08:03 PM
RK ji

By now we should have realised that this lady Sangeeta had planed this even before leaving India!
Also we can't single out Devyani as all most all the diplomats who hire Domestic servants follow this practice of paying wages not comparable with the minimum wages of the particular country! In fact to the Indian standards, she was probably paid nicely! Rs.15000-30000 remitted to family every month. Free Furnished accommodation, Free Food, Unlimited medical insurance! More over, she has a special passport that issued to all people working for Indian government!

Cheers!

No two words about that. Maid has been the smartest of all in this entire episode. I entirely support Indian government for hitting back US too. However, I am keen that this diplomat be booked at least in India for her false statements under government service rules. Whether maid was paid nicely or not is a lesser issue in my view. My main concern is that this was the fourth such issue between maids and diplomats posted in USA. How come our diplomats did not learn the lesson that US can invoke local laws to book them and blackmail them anytime. In my view our incompetent diplomats have put country in a difficult situation.

RK^2

singhvp
December 23rd, 2013, 01:43 AM
My small write-up in this context, which I posted on another social site. Here it goes:

It is bizarre to see some Indians, so gleefully endorsing the hubristic triumphalism of Uncle Sam just because they have an axe to grind with the Indian diplomats. The romantic connotation of the daredevilry indulged in by a zealot of Indian origin who went overboard in display of his loyalty in pursuit of his long term political ambitions, a rare honour often craved by naturalized diaspora, is not something to be celebrated by we Indians if we have got a little sense of Indianness. That is why all major political parties of India across political spectrum have condemned the incident in one voice, including the main opposition party’s prime ministerial candidate.

To justify big brother’s behaviour just because of the fact that the maid was underpaid/exploited, and that the ‘disdained’ diplomat has disproportionate assets in India is wholly untenable. The grievances of the ‘disenfranchised’ domestic assistant, if any, could have been easily redressed by our indigenous mechanism back home and the dignified people of India need not outsource the ‘cleansing of corrupt system’ to some other country. Even if the diplomat was corrupt as alleged by some people on social media like facebook and twitter etc., niceties of friendly behaviour between two strategic partners demanded that instead of meting out such a harsh and indignant treatment like handcuffing, strip/cavity searching, especially to a lady, the Head of Indian Mission should have been informed, while declaring the officer persona non grata. Thereafter, she could have been asked to leave the country within the specified timeframe; which is the established protocol and convention also in such matters. Here, it is pertinent to note that all US officials working in its Consulates in India have been enjoying full immunities and India’s expectation of reciprocity is not outlandish. Rest of the things could have been taken care of by the Indian judicial system which was very much accessible to the aggrieved party.

The action was definitely a humiliation inflicted upon our country as a whole and not to just one particular officer. By the way breach of local rules and regulations by personnel of foreign missions world over is nothing new but this kind of harsh treatment with diplomats is quite unheard of. According to one BBC report, US Embassy in London happens to be the biggest defaulters for non-payment of congestion charges levied by the London Council in certain areas of Central London. Here are the figures:

USA: £7,277,400, Russia: £4,899,900, Japan: £4,856,280, Nigeria: £3,816,990, Germany: £3,782,170, India: £2,777,440
Here is the link for reading full article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23266149

Another link highlighting a scam involving 49 Russian diplomats in US
http://www.ceeinsight.net/2013/12/09/russian-diplomats-scam-low-income-healthcare-provider-medicaid-benefits/

swaich
December 23rd, 2013, 08:57 AM
I equally respect the Muslims but there are some elements who need to respect the law as Preet did in USA. Sorry if it hurts your sentiments.

Some elements are present in every community, so it will be wrong to single out one.

atamjeet78
December 23rd, 2013, 08:57 AM
My small write-up in this context, which I posted on another social site. Here it goes:

It is bizarre to see some Indians, so gleefully endorsing the hubristic triumphalism of Uncle Sam just because they have an axe to grind with the Indian diplomats. The romantic connotation of the daredevilry indulged in by a zealot of Indian origin who went overboard in display of his loyalty in pursuit of his long term political ambitions, a rare honour often craved by naturalized diaspora, is not something to be celebrated by we Indians if we have got a little sense of Indianness. That is why all major political parties of India across political spectrum have condemned the incident in one voice, including the main opposition party’s prime ministerial candidate.

To justify big brother’s behaviour just because of the fact that the maid was underpaid/exploited, and that the ‘disdained’ diplomat has disproportionate assets in India is wholly untenable. The grievances of the ‘disenfranchised’ domestic assistant, if any, could have been easily redressed by our indigenous mechanism back home and the dignified people of India need not outsource the ‘cleansing of corrupt system’ to some other country. Even if the diplomat was corrupt as alleged by some people on social media like facebook and twitter etc., niceties of friendly behaviour between two strategic partners demanded that instead of meting out such a harsh and indignant treatment like handcuffing, strip/cavity searching, especially to a lady, the Head of Indian Mission should have been informed, while declaring the officer persona non grata. Thereafter, she could have been asked to leave the country within the specified timeframe; which is the established protocol and convention also in such matters. Here, it is pertinent to note that all US officials working in its Consulates in India have been enjoying full immunities and India’s expectation of reciprocity is not outlandish. Rest of the things could have been taken care of by the Indian judicial system which was very much accessible to the aggrieved party.

The action was definitely a humiliation inflicted upon our country as a whole and not to just one particular officer. By the way breach of local rules and regulations by personnel of foreign missions world over is nothing new but this kind of harsh treatment with diplomats is quite unheard of. According to one BBC report, US Embassy in London happens to be the biggest defaulters for non-payment of congestion charges levied by the London Council in certain areas of Central London. Here are the figures:

USA: £7,277,400, Russia: £4,899,900, Japan: £4,856,280, Nigeria: £3,816,990, Germany: £3,782,170, India: £2,777,440

http://www.ceeinsight.net/2013/12/09/russian-diplomats-scam-low-income-healthcare-provider-medicaid-benefits/

More in sync with your views, I am not sure why we are celebrating Uncle Sam going after our corrupt bureaucrats. If they have done anything wrong we will and should punish them.We have to make our institutions strong instead of asking someone else to fix it for us.
We were under foreign rule for over 900yrs b'cos of that. Jaichand called Gazni to settle score with Prithviraj and rest is history.
DK was representing India, she was not there in her personal capicity. Its India which looks weak and humiliated infront of all world. I will not be amazed if this has anything to do with CIA snooping as her familiy was working for US diplomat.

anilsangwan
December 23rd, 2013, 12:09 PM
Now, since the minute details of this madam consulate's history are revealed one by one, everyone has understood that USA is not completely at fault. However it is correct that India should punish such a diplomat on our soil ( she must be put in Jail alongwith her accomplice and those who are trying to portray her as victim of conspiracy by showing various kinds of data). What America has done is more or less justified - especially when it deals with culprits. They do not let anyone enjoy a 'VIP' treatment status, of which Indian diplomats (including their staff and relatives) and politicians are habitual.

As written by RK uncle ji above, in this entire episode, two things which have come out very clear is - First Indian diplomats are not only corrupt but fools as well. They can go to any level for their personal gains (diplomatic relations between countries do not matter for them) and they do not even learn from their mistakes or even others' similar mistakes in the past. And secondly, Indian politicians and media can go to any level of allegations without verifying the facts and putting their own house in order especially when it comes to Dalit and muslim (not in this case) vote bank.

Kull mila ke har angle se, India has been proved "fuddu" - Thanks to Madam DK episode. India needs to look into what kind of diplomatic staff is deployed overseas. Read this for further enjoyment : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Several-maids-have-fled-homes-of-Indian-diplomats-in-US/articleshow/27795785.cms

rkumar
December 23rd, 2013, 06:19 PM
.................Kull mila ke har angle se, India has been proved "fuddu" - Thanks to Madam DK episode. India needs to look into what kind of diplomatic staff is deployed overseas. Read this for further enjoyment : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Several-maids-have-fled-homes-of-Indian-diplomats-in-US/articleshow/27795785.cms

If India can not ensure the return of these maids and security staff back to India, US should put a ban on bringing such staff from India. Day is not far when US will start asking for some sort of security deposits for such staff before visa is issued. Just recently UK too proposed something similar. If our diplomats want US postings, better they learn how to live like Americans without maids or else employ locals. If these Devyanis can afford apartments in every Indian city, I am sure they can afford the local nanny too in USA. An apartment in Mumbai is no lesser expensive than in New York. Its none of America's problem whether they can afford or not. Let there be true reciprocity in relations.

Moreover, if there is loophole in American law, why shouldn't a maid exploit it to her benefit? Isn't Devyani exploiting the nationality of her husband to get US postings? Fact is that " Hamam me sab nange hain", be it diplomat, maid, attorney, MEA or state department. Everyone knows who is doing what. Rest assure, game will continue and we will be watching it again...

On a serious note, my suggestion would be that India hire a law firm in USA to get these maid vs diplomat contacts drafted in a way that concerns (both legal and financial) of both the countries are taken care of. If India can afford lobbying firms at capitol hill, I am sure she can afford these law firms as well.

RK^2

rkumar
December 23rd, 2013, 06:28 PM
..........................USA: £7,277,400, Russia: £4,899,900, Japan: £4,856,280, Nigeria: £3,816,990, Germany: £3,782,170, India: £2,777,440

If I were the Mayor of London, I would have put wheel locks on the vehicles and stick a bill on the car saying, " Diplomat is fully Immune, but not the vehicle". It won't take a day to claim all the outstanding amount and no one will dare to play these immunity games.

RK^2

vicky84
January 16th, 2014, 02:33 AM
Devyani Khobragade's father Uttam to contest Lok Sabha election:victorious:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Devyani-Khobragades-father-Uttam-to-contest-Lok-Sabha-election/articleshow/28840900.cms

hahaha!! India mai koye ho thoda popular(for good or bad reason) hote he election ladan lag ja sai :livid: