PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions invited to further improve the contents of discussions

DrRajpalSingh
January 20th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Some members feel that the site functioning especially discussions forum should be made more attractive not only to retain existing regular contributors/visitors but also to involve more members.

Please also visit for reference to improvement needed : http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?36957-New-moderator&p=355568#post355568

Kindly come forward with concrete suggestions how it could be done !

ssgoyat
January 20th, 2014, 08:12 PM
http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?36960-Vision-Policy-programmes-of-various-Political-Parties-2014-Lok-Sabha-Elections&p=355442&viewfull=1#post355442

Readers are entagled in multiple similar sounding threads, feeling dazed and confused, and having tired of punching the same things on multiple threads again n again. Exhausting their energy & time in catching up with existing threads.

IMO it'll be more purposeful or meaningful to merge multiple similar sounding threads (one for LS polls, one for Haryana Assembly polls, one for all major parties, AAP, Congress, BJP, INLD, others etc). And users can start poll in the same threads, if the settings allows for multiple opinion polls in the same thread under request based scenario which a moderator can approve.

Rajpalji, ye ek suggestion meri taraf se :tears_of_joy:

aajkal site jatland.com se jyada jatlandmembersandpolitics.com ho rakhi hai

DrRajpalSingh
January 20th, 2014, 10:22 PM
http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?36960-Vision-Policy-programmes-of-various-Political-Parties-2014-Lok-Sabha-Elections&p=355442&viewfull=1#post355442

Rajpalji, ye ek suggestion meri taraf se :tears_of_joy:

Friend,

Though I do not subscribe to your view that this thread has caused readers to run away from the site or it has proved hindrance for the usual regular readers in any way yet keeping in view of your long standing and persistent demand the thread is being closed with immediate effect.

Hope happy readings and welcome more suggestions !

DrRajpalSingh
January 21st, 2014, 09:39 AM

Agreed a bit more attention is being paid to political happenings and discussions

but

it is natural when general Elections to the Indian Lok Sabha are at hand.

However, many other threads are available where other issues are being taken up with usual fervour and zeal.

Moreover, members are welcome to initiate discussion on any topic of their choice and taste on various forums available on the site or/and to contribute on wiki pages !

krishdel
February 2nd, 2014, 01:53 PM
Rajpal Ji,
One of the most important suggestion is to protect the respect of Jats on this site.
We should openly respect all the JAT leaders from all political parties who have passed away and done good for society.
We should give more stress on topics like how can we improve economic status of our community.
There are lot of non Jats on this site who are doing a lot wrong and creating confusion among us we need to eliminate that.

DrRajpalSingh
February 2nd, 2014, 04:01 PM
Rajpal Ji,
One of the most important suggestion is to protect the respect of Jats on this site.
We should openly respect all the JAT leaders from all political parties who have passed away and done good for society.
We should give more stress on topics like how can we improve economic status of our community.
There are lot of non Jats on this site who are doing a lot wrong and creating confusion among us we need to eliminate that.

Good suggestions for which you deserve thanks and members need pay attention while expressing their opinions/views regarding the life and work of those leaders who are no more to reply their criticism.

There are a few topics in the form of threads on some facets relating to the economics, more can be added by members.

The last point regarding non Jats as members of the site is very serious matter. All necessary precaution is taken while granting membership of the site.

However, all members are requested to point out names of those members who have succeeded in becoming members clandestinely and it is assured the needful would be done to eliminate their membership by the site leaders without loosing a moment. You can send private message to keep your secrecy maintained to systems or editors/moderators for this purpose.

It is hoped that with the continued willing co-operation of all the members to maintain decorum, dignity and honour of our ancestors and present generation will be kept intact in the eyes of the readers both members and non member visitors.

Thanks and regards

VirJ
March 13th, 2014, 01:23 AM
I got the message that one of the Moderator has closed this thread. http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?37148-Is-Supporting-Pakistan-in-Public-justified.

Found it weird that he didn't bother deleting the abusive and humiliating posts but just closed the thread. If someone has to abuse they can still do in another thread. Lets open the thread and delete the irrelevant posts.

Treat this as a suggestion if you want to improve.

desijat
March 13th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Dear desijat,

You have received an infraction at Jatland Forums.

Reason: Invalid Profile Info/Signature
-------
Infraction Point: 1
Warned to be careful in future.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

All the best,
Jatland Forums

Can I or members atleast know why have I/they recieved infraction? As far as I know I have done nothing wrong and if my signature is wrong I should first receive a mail asking me to change it, or warning instead of an infraction

rskankara
March 13th, 2014, 10:19 AM
on lighter note: Vikas- Careful in future and follow the fatva of JL otherwise ......... after 2 month JL kya Hindustan se ban kar diye jaoge

on serious note: kya sir(s) ji ... kya ho rahaa hai jatland par......Managers of site should come out clearly on implementation their policy and address the issue raised by "Desijat" one of the few active member of JL...

Dear desijat,

-------
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

All the best,
Jatland Forums

Can I or members atleast know why have I/they recieved infraction? As far as I know I have done nothing wrong and if my signature is wrong I should first receive a mail asking me to change it, or warning instead of an infraction

DrRajpalSingh
March 13th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Dear desijat,

-------
-------

All the best,
Jatland Forums

Friend,

To put the record straight, the cause of the infraction is wrong posting in the thread not otherwise stated by the respected member, see please the full text:

Infraction for desijat: Invalid Profile Info/Signature

User: desijat (http://www.jatland.com/forums/member.php?5030-desijat)
Infraction: Invalid Profile Info/Signature

Administrative Note:
Avoid posting in wrong forums / Awarded I infraction point

Message to User:

DrRajpalSingh
March 13th, 2014, 10:48 AM
on lighter note: Vikas- Careful in future and follow the fatva of JL otherwise ......... after 2 month JL kya Hindustan se ban kar diye jaoge

on serious note: kya sir(s) ji ... kya ho rahaa hai jatland par......Managers of site should come out clearly on implementation their policy and address the issue raised by "Desijat" one of the few active member of JL...

Read the clarification in the preceding post please and the matter stands clarified !

desijat
March 13th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Off late members have been seeing a lot of action by Moderators, which is most welcomed in order to continue a good discussion but I would seek some clarity if moderators may please on the following issue:

1) Infractions- what causes an infraction?

To me it is whens one gets personal, posts objectionable content but I got an infraction for posting an anti-bjp post in 2014 election thread which to me was very much relevant to thread. How do we plan to take care of such personal interpretations, and should infractions be wasted/used/utilised on such honest and minute mistakes?

2) Closing of threads: 2 threads have been closed where in members were still discussing, e.g. I had a question for moderators where they were seeking suggestions but thread was closed before I could ask. On some of the threads they are closed but the objectionable content, for which they were banned is left.
Can we get a clarity on when and why do moderators choose to ban a thread?

P.S. Please dont take this as a retaliation of any sort for infraction, but a genuine effort to seek some clarity.

DrRajpalSingh
March 13th, 2014, 11:28 AM
A personal note for putting the record straight.

1.The two threads mentioned by you have been temporarily closed.

2. Your post under reference was not posted in the relevant thread.

For guidelines, site policy and suggestions to make discussions more attractive one could take hints by logging in:

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?28170-Civilized-discussion-guidelines-at-JATland-!!!

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?9515-This-kind-of-message-WILL-GET-YOU-BANNED!!

and for member-site contract :

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?21490-Member-Agreement-PLEASE-READ

Thanks

anilsangwan
March 13th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Thank you Dr Rajpal sir. Only request I have is that while deleting posts/giving infractions/locking threads etc, if Mods can kindly write with more clarity (may be one or two more lines than the standard response) - probably most of the above issues can be avoided. I understand that Mods also have very little time and, of course, doing it voluntarily, thus the above is just a request.

VirJ
March 13th, 2014, 02:23 PM
I just want to add one more thing to Anil's post that closing a thread is like running away from actual problem. 3 members got involved in personal attacks and someone closed the thread. Why punish those who want to participate in the discussion. Those members can still abuse each other in some other thread if they want. Another thing is the abusive posts are still there. At least they should have been deleted.

Prikshit
March 13th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I just want to add one more thing to Anil's post that closing a thread is like running away from actual problem. 3 members got involved in personal attacks and someone closed the thread. Why punish those who want to participate in the discussion. Those members can still abuse each other in some other thread if they want. Another thing is the abusive posts are still there. At least they should have been deleted.
To add to it (They can personally fight via PM) Why close a thread for this reason.

ssgoyat
March 13th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I think there should also be a policy that, if 10 members complain about such moderator inappropriate actions. Moderators access to JL should be blocked for a week. ;-p

desijat
March 13th, 2014, 07:58 PM
I don't think that would be a valid way, consensus is not always the right way to run an establishment. You need to be strict, free and responsible for law enabling.

I think there should also be a policy that, if 10 members complain about such moderator inappropriate actions. Moderators access to JL should be blocked for a week. ;-p

DrRajpalSingh
March 15th, 2014, 10:36 AM

Kindly site one example of inappropriate action of moderator to substantiate your suggestion, please ! This action on your part would facilitate working of moderators in more judicious manner.

VirJ
March 16th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Dear VirJ,

Reason: Criticism of the site functioning
-------
Kindly do not use inappropriate language against functioning of the Jatland.com as you have done in your post:

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...ified&p=359243 (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?37148-Is-Supporting-Pakistan-in-Public-justified&p=359243)

Awarded Infraction : 3 points and issue warning to the member to be careful in future to avoid more award of infraction points.
-------

This infraction is worth 3 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Better ban me sir !. These Chalans cant supress my views.

DrRajpalSingh
March 16th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Dear VirJ,

Reason: Criticism of the site functioning
-------
Kindly do not use inappropriate language against functioning of the Jatland.com as you have done in your post:

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...ified&p=359243 (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?37148-Is-Supporting-Pakistan-in-Public-justified&p=359243)

Awarded Infraction : 3 points and issue warning to the member to be careful in future to avoid more award of infraction points.
-------

This infraction is worth 3 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Better ban me sir !. These Chalans cant supress my views.

Friend,

Rights and duties go hand in hand; so one must respect both.

None is going to ban you so long as you follow the site rules while enjoying your freedom of expression.

Thanks and regards

VirJ
March 17th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Sir, No Issues. Just felt its unfair to delete someone's post without warning especially when members put in so much time and effort to write them.

My posts very not abusive they were just in reply to someone's post. And I myself have even requested Mods to move them if they feel its off topic.

Anyway, understand that If we have to be member we have to go by its Rules.

Samarkadian
March 19th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Sir, No Issues. Just felt its unfair to delete someone's post without warning especially when members put in so much time and effort to write them.

My posts very not abusive they were just in reply to someone's post. And I myself have even requested Mods to move them if they feel its off topic.

How come Vipin is banned out of blue?

swaich
March 19th, 2014, 10:59 PM
I too was surprised to see the ban. Perhaps it will not be too much to ask the Mods to atleast share reasons/justifications for bans in a thread specifically dedicated to this purpose? Members after all have a right to know why a fellow member was banned.

desijat
March 19th, 2014, 11:25 PM
I'd agree, I have never seen Vipin posting any objectionable stuff. I would be curious to know why is he banned.

DrRajpalSingh
March 20th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Sir, No Issues..........................

Friend,

Yes, no issues remain unresolved.

You are welcome to contribute posts in continued cooperative spirit following site rules as agreed upon !

Thanks and regards,

desijat
March 20th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Rajpal Ji

The reason for Vipin's ban is

'Dear VirJ,

Reason: Criticism of the site functioning'

I am quite surprised, does that mean no member would be allowed to criticize any action or was it just because he used bad language to criticize it?

Friend,

Yes, no issues remain unresolved.

You are welcome to contribute posts in continued cooperative spirit following site rules as agreed upon !

Thanks and regards,

rsdalal
March 20th, 2014, 06:53 PM
I also have not seen any objectionable post from Vipin...

jitendershooda
March 20th, 2014, 11:40 PM
The very first day on my return; when I replied to Samar's post on Reservation, the post got deleted under category - "Not related to topic". It was weird as I only discussed about Reservation only, in regard of past discussions about the same with Samar. Its true that once it got deleted, user 90% of the time don't rephrase it and it will go un-contributed.

NeverMind, moderators are doing a thankless job and I appreciate the time they put to keep the site's decorum. Please see the feasibility of providing a warning first and then at second step removal of the post for some categories.

Er, gujarish hai ki BAN te kati last resort pe use karo. I remember we lost very good members in past only because of this BAN thing. Member may take it on ego and this hurts the whole community later on.

I saw that VIPIN Jyani was an old member too and he contributed more than thousand posts, so putting a BAN is I feel a hard step, don't know if the real matter could have been resolved in a better way than this BAN.

DrRajpalSingh
March 21st, 2014, 09:40 AM
The very first day on my return; when I replied to Samar's post on Reservation, the post got deleted under category - "Not related to topic". It was weird as I only discussed about Reservation only, in regard of past discussions about the same with Samar. Its true that once it got deleted, user 90% of the time don't rephrase it and it will go un-contributed.

NeverMind, moderators are doing a thankless job and I appreciate the time they put to keep the site's decorum. Please see the feasibility of providing a warning first and then at second step removal of the post for some categories.

Er, gujarish hai ki BAN te kati last resort pe use karo. I remember we lost very good members in past only because of this BAN thing. Member may take it on ego and this hurts the whole community later on.

I saw that VIPIN Jyani was an old member too and he contributed more than thousand posts, so putting a BAN is I feel a hard step, don't know if the real matter could have been resolved in a better way than this BAN.

Friend,
Some good points raised for guidance of the moderators for which you deserve thanks.

You are a valued senior member of the site and surely might have seen tricky situations on the site created by we, the members of the site, at times due to discussions aimed at on persons not on the posts or themes of threads. You might also be aware about our intentional or inadvertent tendency to overthrow decency and rules to air. Under the circumstances, the need for maintenance of semblance of order arises.

Further to address the complaints/grievances of site members against fellow members, the need of removal of objectionable stuff arises.

Keeping in view all this, should the moderation/editing be totally done away with .

Thanks and regards

swaich
March 21st, 2014, 01:43 PM
Friend,
Some good points raised for guidance of the moderators for which you deserve thanks.

You are a valued senior member of the site and surely might have seen tricky situations on the site created by we, the members of the site, at times due to discussions aimed at on persons not on the posts or themes of threads. You might also be aware about our intentional or inadvertent tendency to overthrow decency and rules to air. Under the circumstances, the need for maintenance of semblance of order arises.

Further to address the complaints/grievances of site members against fellow members, the need of removal of objectionable stuff arises.

Keeping in view all this, should the moderation/editing be totally done away with .

Thanks and regards

Maybe the mods and admins should learn to take criticism instead of throwing up hands in the air and saying "we'd rather do away with it"!

Moderation is definitely required, but it can be definitely changed for the better.

Transparency - Please explain actions like banning a member via a separate thread. This is not to shame the member, but to make it transparent for everyone else why the member was banned. You can't say JL is a family and then suddenly chuck one member out without informing the other members. Agreed, the members don't always act like family but Mods have to be held to a higher standard.

Consistency/Deletion of posts: Too often some posts are deleted but similar posts are allowed to stand in the same thread. There is a distinct lack of consistency which suggests moderation is done in a reactive way and posts are deleted only when someone reports them. Another point related to this is that sometimes a couple of sentences in a post are in violation but still the whole posts gets deleted. Instead, a better option would be to delete out the offending sentences.

I hope this criticism is taken in a positive sense. Moderation is indeed a thankless job and the purpose here is to improve it for the betterment of JL.

desijat
March 21st, 2014, 09:46 PM
Most of the post deletion has been pretty random, for instance my suggestion on Rajpal Ji's thread of asking people before merging threads was deleted saying it was unrelated to thread but the last 2 comments, to which it were a follow up were not deleted.

I am fine with deletion of the comment as it was unrelated but I would have appreciated either a reply to the suggestion, or everything on the thread to be deleted for fairness.

And thank you for doing the thankless job, it is really appreciated. We are all trying to make this a better place :)

VikrantChodhary
March 22nd, 2014, 04:06 PM
Work of Moderation of Thread should be given to someone YOUNG.

DrRajpalSingh
March 22nd, 2014, 09:39 PM
Maybe the mods and admins should learn to take criticism instead of throwing up hands in the air and saying "we'd rather do away with it"!

Moderation is definitely required, but it can be definitely changed for the better.

Transparency - Please explain actions like banning a member via a separate thread. This is not to shame the member, but to make it transparent for everyone else why the member was banned. You can't say JL is a family and then suddenly chuck one member out without informing the other members. Agreed, the members don't always act like family but Mods have to be held to a higher standard.

Consistency/Deletion of posts: Too often some posts are deleted but similar posts are allowed to stand in the same thread. There is a distinct lack of consistency which suggests moderation is done in a reactive way and posts are deleted only when someone reports them. Another point related to this is that sometimes a couple of sentences in a post are in violation but still the whole posts gets deleted. Instead, a better option would be to delete out the offending sentences.

I hope this criticism is taken in a positive sense. Moderation is indeed a thankless job and the purpose here is to improve it for the betterment of JL.

Good !

One comment is necessary to be added on partial editing of posts as suggested by you:

"Another point related to this is that sometimes a couple of sentences in a post are in violation but still the whole posts gets deleted. Instead, a better option would be to delete out the offending sentences."

This method was tried but the members whose posts were partially deleted raised issues saying that they did not like that their posts were dealt with in that manner adding that their contextual continuity was lost. Hence, the present system was adopted.

As much posts are scanned as possible but some post might have escaped at times thus giving chance to allegation that there is partiality.

It would be appreciated if any post violates site policy, the same may be reported and rest assured, the moderators/editors would definitely act according to the merit of the case.

Samarkadian
March 22nd, 2014, 10:02 PM
You are doing a brilliant job of maintaining decorum but sometimes many members get offended alike Vipin Jyani which is natural. They might say ''ban me'' but it doesnt literally mean that they want a ban or something unpleasant. We at JL are already facing lack of significant contributors.When such incident happens, members and editors should collectively try to resolve it instead of going through an extreme route. So emphasis should be on balanced and self - moderation as pointed by Ravi Ji in his approach followed by deletion of personal comments. As I said earlier as well policies are for members but members are not policies in every single case.

I personally request all respected administrators and moderators to consider amicable and positive resolve of Vipin Bhai's issue.

Good !

One comment is necessary to be added on partial editing of posts as suggested by you:

"Another point related to this is that sometimes a couple of sentences in a post are in violation but still the whole posts gets deleted. Instead, a better option would be to delete out the offending sentences."

This method was tried but the members whose posts were partially deleted raised issues saying that they did not like that their posts were dealt with in that manner adding that their contextual continuity was lost. Hence, the present system was adopted.

As much posts are scanned as possible but some post might have escaped at times thus giving chance to allegation that there is partiality.

It would be appreciated if any post violates site policy, the same may be reported and rest assured, the moderators/editors would definitely act according to the merit of the case.

vikasJAT
March 22nd, 2014, 11:20 PM

Related post topic based hote hue delete hona yaha aam baat hai...........same case mere sath 4-5 bar ho chuka hai.......us din se maine post krna he chod diya.
Maine JL 2010 me join kiya tha us time JL per chaupal khach khach bhari rehti thi.......joke b bot post hote the.....serious discussion b bot hote the.....lekin aaj aap khud he dekho ki JL per Daily visitors kitne hain??

Dusra yaha BAN ka chaln b jyda chala hua hai......koi b thodi si kadvi post likh de to BAN.
Koi yaha Moderator ka frnd h aur uski kisi k sath ni banti to uske kehne per BAN.
Ek self BAN ka bhi option hai.

Agar koi bina kisi serious baat k BAN kiya jata h to vo yaha kabhi mood kar ni aata aur na apne kisi frnd ko JL join krne ko suggest krta.
Aise me site k daily visitors b kam ho rhe hain aur popularity b kam ho rhi hai.

Is site ko improve krne k liye main moderators ko kuch kehna chahunga

1) Agar koi post topic based ni hai to use delete kre na ki BAN kre
2) Agar koi post me gali gloch krta hai to uski post delete kr k use 1-2 bar warning de....fir b na mane to fir BAN kre vo b resaon explain kr k
3) Self BAN ka option he khatam kre.....jo yha aana ni chahta vo login he na kre self ban ki kya jaroorat h.
4) Aur jo moderators is dosti me galat decision le kr BAN krte hain unse request h ki vo dosti bahar ja kr nibhaye na ki JL per BAN kr k.

DrRajpalSingh
March 24th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Related post topic based hote hue delete hona yaha aam baat hai...........same case mere sath 4-5 bar ho chuka hai.......us din se maine post krna he chod diya.
Maine JL 2010 me join kiya tha us time JL per chaupal khach khach bhari rehti thi.......joke b bot post hote the.....serious discussion b bot hote the.....lekin aaj aap khud he dekho ki JL per Daily visitors kitne hain??

Dusra yaha BAN ka chaln b jyda chala hua hai......koi b thodi si kadvi post likh de to BAN.
Koi yaha Moderator ka frnd h aur uski kisi k sath ni banti to uske kehne per BAN.
Ek self BAN ka bhi option hai.

Agar koi bina kisi serious baat k BAN kiya jata h to vo yaha kabhi mood kar ni aata aur na apne kisi frnd ko JL join krne ko suggest krta.
Aise me site k daily visitors b kam ho rhe hain aur popularity b kam ho rhi hai.

Is site ko improve krne k liye main moderators ko kuch kehna chahunga

1) Agar koi post topic based ni hai to use delete kre na ki BAN kre
2) Agar koi post me gali gloch krta hai to uski post delete kr k use 1-2 bar warning de....fir b na mane to fir BAN kre vo b resaon explain kr k
3) Self BAN ka option he khatam kre.....jo yha aana ni chahta vo login he na kre self ban ki kya jaroorat h.
4) Aur jo moderators is dosti me galat decision le kr BAN krte hain unse request h ki vo dosti bahar ja kr nibhaye na ki JL per BAN kr k.

Welcome back.

For Good Suggestions, thanks.

Hope continued constructive cooperation from the veterans to make the site more attractive and useful .

sunnytewatia
March 24th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Work of Moderation of Thread should be given to someone YOUNG.
That is not a solution at all. Even senior mods are also doing a good job. Its all about faiirness, age diesnt matter dear bikrant

jitendershooda
March 24th, 2014, 11:46 PM
That is not a solution at all. Even senior mods are also doing a good job. Its all about faiirness, age diesnt matter dear bikrant

Wa te theek se bhai ... senior junior ki baat konya .... akdu-nasamajh-egoistic-gussail-unsocial aadmi agar koi moderator hai (junior/senior) to unko site ke hit mein moderator ship se tyagpatr de dena chahiye. Aise panchayati bhalai se jyada nuksan karte hein samaj ka.

DrRajpalSingh
April 21st, 2014, 07:52 AM
Thanks for sharing your valuable inputs. Since no suggestions are pouring in, the thread is being closed !