PDA

View Full Version : Are women better communicators than men???

dolly2003
February 17th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Dear Jatlanders,

Its been quite a long period of time that i have been not in touch with jatland forum. but i am back again and would try to be in touch and give my valuable inputs to this forum.

Today i am trying to put something on communication.
As you all are aware that how important communication plays vital roles in our day today activities.

Communication is an exchange of thoughts and ideas. True communication is an outcome of a feeling of commonness between two individuals. We talk of the different types of communication like verbal, non-verbal, interpersonal and so on. We talk of developing communication skills and styles. But what is good communication in its true form? It is the exchange of not just ideas, it's an exchange of understanding. Communication is not just 'talking'; it's more about 'listening' and 'understanding'.

Recent researches have proved that women are more expressive and speak 10,000-20,000 words a day as against men who avg between 5000 to 10,000 words a day.

i would like to know the views of our jatlanders on this topic.............ARE WOMEN BETTER COMMUNICATORS THAN MEN??

rekhasmriti
February 17th, 2014, 12:44 AM
"ARE WOMEN BETTER COMMUNICATORS THAN MEN "

Communication is not just 'talking'; it's more about 'listening' and 'understanding'.

My Vote : Not Necessarily .....just coz they talk more ( as per recent researchers mentioned in above post ) ......does not mean they listen n understand equally well

Samarkadian
February 17th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Dear Jatlanders,

Its been quite a long period of time that i have been not in touch with jatland forum. but i am back again and would try to be in touch and give my valuable inputs to this forum.

As you all are aware that how important communication plays vital roles in our day today activities.

Communication is an exchange of thoughts and ideas. True communication is an outcome of a feeling of commonness between two individuals. We talk of the different types of communication like verbal, non-verbal, interpersonal and so on. We talk of developing communication skills and styles. But what is good communication in its true form? It is the exchange of not just ideas, it's an exchange of understanding. Communication is not just 'talking'; it's more about 'listening' and 'understanding'.

Recent researches have proved that women are more expressive and speak 10,000-20,000 words a day as against men who avg between 5000 to 10,000 words a day.

i would like to know the views of our jatlanders on this topic.............ARE WOMEN BETTER COMMUNICATORS THAN MEN??

Welcome !

Those researchers must have told the difference between talking and conversation. Its like comparing quality and quantity.

Yes women talk more among themselves and with men. But what does that prove?

shivamchaudhary
February 17th, 2014, 09:38 AM
More words don't mean more sense :)

DrRajpalSingh
February 17th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Dear Jatlanders,

Communicative skill is an individual skill and as such it cannot be generalised as man or woman monopoly !!

rajpaldular
February 17th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Without sounding biased, I think women to an extent are better communicators in some issues; it depends on the context we are dealing with.

soniadabas
February 17th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Well, I completely agree with Rajpal Singh Ji, that it would not be right to generalize communicative skill. Even men these days are more talkative than women .Though It is a prenotion that it is women who are more verbose. It is no where mentioned that verbose are poor at listening or understanding skills. It is just a way of expressing things, some get into minute details and some give an overview . Effective Communication primarily depends on the content , presentation skills , Delivery and listening skills . If it is meaningful and relevant it will definitely leave an impact on the listener.

swaich
February 17th, 2014, 04:42 PM
I am not sure if a particular gender influences your expertise at communication. But one thing is for sure in the corporate world - women excel (or at least are present in majority) in the jobs requiring public speaking and a high emphasis on communication. Roles like HR, corporate trainers, teaching etc that survive on communicating your thoughts verbally are predominantly filled with women. Women are able to convey empathy much better than men and maybe that helps in communication.

But is empathy all that is required in communication? I don't know and we probably need more research in this area.

desijat
February 17th, 2014, 09:59 PM
As much as I would like to contribute I will choose to refrain, the topic is highly sexiest in nature.

Both of them are as good as each other, and as worst as each other.

dolly2003
February 17th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Hi ,
Nice to see so many views on this.
I want to throw some light on this.. As history has to say something on this matter... Men have traditionally played the role of foragers, being used to their quiet hunting periods, whereas women as nurturers, being prone to initiate communication. Behavioral studies and neuroscience tells us that the girl child is way more expressive than the boys, right from an early age, exhibiting a better grasp of the nuances of the language. Boys, on the other hand, are at their most talkative phase during the end of their teenage years (16-18), but go on to become quieter after the age of 21.

swaich
February 18th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Hi ,
Nice to see so many views on this.
I want to throw some light on this.. As history has to say something on this matter... Men have traditionally played the role of foragers, being used to their quiet hunting periods, whereas women as nurturers, being prone to initiate communication. Behavioral studies and neuroscience tells us that the girl child is way more expressive than the boys, right from an early age, exhibiting a better grasp of the nuances of the language. Boys, on the other hand, are at their most talkative phase during the end of their teenage years (16-18), but go on to become quieter after the age of 21.

That's an interesting angle.

ON a related note - I also read somewhere our pre-historic roles and occupation developed men and women's visions differently. Men, as foragers and hunters looking for prey in high grass or thick foliage developed a better 'far-vision' or the ability to see at a distance clearly at better resolution. Women, used to taking care of the young, developed better 'near-sight' or the ability to figure out different small objects closer to them alongwith better hearing power.. Perhaps this is also the reason why I can't find my car keys lying among different things in the living room whereas my better half figures it out in a second. :)

ssgoyat
February 18th, 2014, 02:17 PM
You're right Jassi,

to further add to it.

They are better at Multitasking.

eg. They have biological stopwatch/timer that alerts them automatically when they've to put the gas off while they're on long chat over phone.

anilsangwan
February 18th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Not sure if Women are better communicator, but they win the argument for sure......:victorious: nahi to :sorrow: e sahi !!!

ssgoyat
February 18th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Not sure if Women are better communicator, but they win the argument for sure......:victorious: nahi to :sorrow: e sahi !!!

Ha Ha,

and when they start loosing an argument. they're good at dragging the argument off the existing loosing topic, to some other matter all of a sudden, to your surprise that happened some months ago which you have already forgotten by 95%.

Realising this, they throttle up on you with full force (or i must rather say 'pitch'/and or volume)..:topsy_turvy:

Gauri
February 18th, 2014, 04:57 PM
The best communicators, in my opinion, are people who have a lot of empathy for their audience, and can deliver what their audience needs.
Communication involves the spoken and the unspoken.
Studies show that Women scored higher in ability to listen, empathise, talk openly about feelings and consider opinion of others (husbands/boyfriends are an obvious exception. Ha-ha J)
In ancient times, when men were out hunting woolly mammoth, women were left behind to tend and befriend. They had to be better communicators in order to survive as a group.
But not all women are great communicators and not all men are afraid to talk and express these days.
As DrRajpalji said its individual based!

rakeshsehrawat
February 18th, 2014, 06:19 PM
घना सा तो बेरा नहीं पर उसकी आँख भी बोलें उसकी हंसी भी बोले वो बिना बोले भी बोलें उसका उठना उसका चलना एक कहानी कहता है जीसी लाइन किसे कुंगर खातिर तो सुनी नहीं बाकी यू ज्ञानी शब्दा की बात करे सै तो केजरीवाल गेल ऐड ला ल्यो

saurabhjaglan
February 18th, 2014, 07:10 PM
WOMEN ARE BETTER COMMUNICATORS THAN MEN... There is no doubt about it..!!!!:victorious:

the best example is the relation of a mother and her new born baby .
The mother understands the expressions , pain , joy and need of her new born baby and the new born baby also understands the love and care of her mother. Its an exchange of understanding.
this unique skill of communication of mother is same everywhere, in every country , in every religion , in every race..

The second best example is you can find in the eyes of a true lover..
Here also, women better understands the expressions of her lover.
now just tell me where is the point of listening or speaking or being talkative ?

The best communication is ,non verbal communication when others don't require words to make you understand.

So, if I can get a change I will give 100% points to all the ladies of this world : the certificate of best communicator.

Ever at jatland I found many opportunities to interact with intellectual ladies .

so there is nothing to debate as its quite clear WOMEN are best COMMUNICATORS.

Dear Jatlanders,

rekhasmriti
February 19th, 2014, 06:25 AM
" Men have traditionally played the role of foragers, being used to their quiet hunting periods, whereas women as nurturers, being prone to initiate communication "

If Above mentioned stuff is based on research .........
Lo ji ho gaya topic conclude .......Men job was to hunt thus they were quiet kind ( itna choon.....chaan karenge toh donkey ....monkey sab bhag jayenge ) & Women job is of nuturing .....bina bole bache language kaise seekhenge ( to learn any language most important part is listening ) isliye mother tongue kehte hai na ki father tongue .
Thus if Men & Women switch their jobs then research would say otherwise .

So Communication Skills not dependent of X or Y Chromosome ( IMO )

@ Dolly : Please accept my sincere Thanks for starting such a wonderful thread ( Na toh Modi / RG / Kejri .....ne poore JL ki.....feel free to fill in the blanks accordingly )

soniadabas
February 19th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Male communication styles

Behaviour
Possible Motivation

Challenges and points out another perspective (‘the devil’s advocate’)
A desire to gather more information or expand their understanding of the issue.

Uses direct, brief & commanding language to communicate decisions.
A desire to communicate efficiently, reinforce functional hierarchy, and demonstrate responsibility through decisiveness.

Sitting on an angle and avoiding eye contact.
Trying not to look aggressive or challenging as opposed to being disinterested.

Moving into another’s space, talking more and with authority, interrupting, using wit to command an audience.
Possibly trying to impress, establish respect and leadership.

Solution talk, action planning and impatience with venting.
A desire to see tangible outcomes and success in achieving goals.

Female communication styles

Behaviour
Possible Motivation

Sharing personal detail and feelings of vulnerability, complimenting others.
A desire to build relationships, trust and cohesion.

Pausing and encouraging others to take turns speaking.
A desire to build respect and balance by structuring the communication.

Apologizing or seeking help.
Possibly trying to demonstrate strength and trust depending on context.

Sharing thoughts and feelings about the subject.
Trying to build mutual understanding and mutual support.

Asking questions, not using commanding language when in authority. Using rhetorical questions to lead and influence.
A desire to create an atmosphere of respect and team work, de-emphasize hierarchical relationships and build on intrinsic motivation and team work.

rajpaldular
February 19th, 2014, 10:20 AM
NEW INSIGHTS COMMUNICATION POLL : ARE MEN OR WOMEN BETTER COMMUNICATOR?

Media stories focusing on interpersonal communication issues often imply that women are far better and more effective communicators. The assumption is that women are more savvy at relationships and have some kind of secret communication prowess. But is this true for people who walk down the streets called Real Relationships? Moreover, is the assumption that women are better communicators slanted simply because many of the articles are written by women (perhaps with an ax to grind) or men who must tow the party line? This survey suggests that many of us are working on becoming better communicators, and feel frustrated when we fail to communicate…no matter our gender bias.
More to the point, if you were given only three choices, which gender (if any) would you say is a better communicator? What do “normal” people like you and me, people who work for a living and raise kids in a brave new techno-world, really think about who’s doing a better job at positive communication?
In a weekly New Insights Communication reader poll at www.drogrady.com, intelligent people like you and me gave these real-life answers to the very real question, “Are men or women better communicators?”

1. WOMEN ARE BETTER COMMUNICATORS: 41.18%
2. MEN ARE BETTER COMMUNICATORS: 29.41%
3. BOTH ARE THE SAME: 29.41%

DISCUSSION: Well, I was surprised and my scientific spirit soared when I reviewed these results. I thought women would wipe us men off the map with the often-perceived superior skills of communication. But almost a third of responders said both genders are about equally good at the act of talking! That might mean that we all have a thing or three to learn about becoming more open, effective, productive and positive communicators! Or it might mean that we voted with our genetic code, since I don’t have a list of voters-to-votes-cast by gender. No worries, mate! You will find “PosiTalker” communication tools and tips on this Web page to spruce up your “good” communication skills and make them better…and even to become a great communicator today!
Thanks to all you intelligent readers who took time to honestly register your vote on my site. My CommTools are designed to serve as a beacon of light in a world that is sometimes dark and devoid of laughter. Vote next week, please!
Dr. Dennis O’Grady originally did newspaper reader surveys in conjunction with the Dayton Daily News. Dennis is the author of TALK TO ME: Communication Moves to Get Along with Anyone. You can download a free copy of chapter one and much more neat stuff at his site www.drogrady.com.

Prikshit
February 19th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Well, I completely agree with Rajpal Singh Ji, that it would not be right to generalize communicative skill. Even men these days are more talkative than women .Though It is a prenotion that it is women who are more verbose. It is no where mentioned that verbose are poor at listening or understanding skills. It is just a way of expressing things, some get into minute details and some give an overview . Effective Communication primarily depends on the content , presentation skills , Delivery and listening skills . If it is meaningful and relevant it will definitely leave an impact on the listener.
Don't you feel Verbosity is a sign of lack of confidence or it is a way to circumlocution?

Prikshit
February 19th, 2014, 04:14 PM
I am not sure if a particular gender influences your expertise at communication. But one thing is for sure in the corporate world - women excel (or at least are present in majority) in the jobs requiring public speaking and a high emphasis on communication. Roles like HR, corporate trainers, teaching etc that survive on communicating your thoughts verbally are predominantly filled with women. Women are able to convey empathy much better than men and maybe that helps in communication.

But is empathy all that is required in communication? I don't know and we probably need more research in this area.
Would it be wrong to say to an extent that its the opposite sex which influences the roles n job profiles you have mentioned?

Prikshit
February 19th, 2014, 04:48 PM
" Men have traditionally played the role of foragers, being used to their quiet hunting periods, whereas women as nurturers, being prone to initiate communication "

If Above mentioned stuff is based on research .........
Lo ji ho gaya topic conclude .......Men job was to hunt thus they were quiet kind ( itna choon.....chaan karenge toh donkey ....monkey sab bhag jayenge ) & Women job is of nuturing .....bina bole bache language kaise seekhenge ( to learn any language most important part is listening ) isliye mother tongue kehte hai na ki father tongue .
Thus if Men & Women switch their jobs then research would say otherwise .

So Communication Skills not dependent of X or Y Chromosome ( IMO )

@ Dolly : Please accept my sincere Thanks for starting such a wonderful thread ( Na toh Modi / RG / Kejri .....ne poore JL ki.....feel free to fill in the blanks accordingly )

Yeah agree to you in totallity. Current thread shows women participation, which portrays that if topic of their interest is there they are not hesitant to participate

Gauri
February 19th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Don't you feel Verbosity is a sign of lack of confidence or it is a way to circumlocation?

Verbosity is not necessarily lack of confidence. Some of us just are more talkative.
Doesn’t mean they lack confidence or want to divert form the actual topic !

Women talk more. May be yes! But the discussion is on who is better communicator.
If more words means more sense and better understanding. what’s the harm J

shivamchaudhary
February 20th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Don't you feel Verbosity is a sign of lack of confidence or it is a way to circumlocation?

Its circumlocution !

swaich
February 20th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Would it be wrong to say to an extent that its the opposite sex which influences the roles n job profiles you have mentioned?

Could be. That's the same argument as saying manufacturing and operations jobs have more men because men are suited to those roles, or because the ones hiring for those roles (men themselves) are biased towards their own gender. Both could be true.

Prikshit
February 20th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Its circumlocution !
Galti se mistake ho gyi :P :stupid:

Prikshit
February 20th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Verbosity is not necessarily lack of confidence. Some of us just are more talkative.
Doesn’t mean they lack confidence or want to divert form the actual topic !

Women talk more. May be yes! But the discussion is on who is better communicator.
If more words means more sense and better understanding. what’s the harm J
Well I didn't generalize verbosity, but my point was when it comes to communication most of the time it is good when it is terse and precise or a good communicator is one who conveys in short n efficient manner.

Lack of confidence I mentioned as people tend to use more words to explain when they themselves are not sure that the other person has got them right.

Women talk more does that make them better communicator?

Ofcourse their is harm in talking more, the more one talks probability of making mistakes increases.

Prikshit
February 20th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Could be. That's the same argument as saying manufacturing and operations jobs have more men because men are suited to those roles, or because the ones hiring for those roles (men themselves) are biased towards their own gender. Both could be true.
I think the nature of jobs you mentioned previously is different from the one you just mentioned. :)

rajpaldular
February 20th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Galti se mistake ho gyi :P :stupid:

बावरी, बाघा की प्रेमिका [तारक मेहता का उल्टा चश्मा।]

बावरी का तकिया कलाम है 'सॉरी गलती से मिस्टेक हो गई."

ये सीरियल मैं नियमित रूप से देखता हूँ.

अच्छा कॉमेडी सीरियल है ।

Gauri
February 20th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Well I didn't generalize verbosity, but my point was when it comes to communication most of the time it is good when it is terse and precise or a good communicator is one who conveys in short n efficient manner.

Lack of confidence I mentioned as people tend to use more words to explain when they themselves are not sure that the other person has got them right.

Ofcourse their is harm in talking more, the more one talks probability of making mistakes increases.

Not always. But that does not either make them a bad one.

“Of course their is harm in talking more, the more one talks probability of making mistakes increases”
Agree 110% however this is nature of women. Not to make mistakes but talk more.
They use more words then men. They have more language protein (Foxp2) as compared to men as per various researches. There is a good explanation in “Men are from mars and women from Venus”
I disagree that people who talk more are not sure of what are they talking about!
I see the opposite angle. If someone can talk on a topic more also means he/she is very confidence of what are they talking about. Using one liner may mean you wonna escape from explanation.
But we are getting diverted from the actual topic here.
As I said previously better communicators are people who have a lot of empathy for their audience, and can deliver what their audience needs. It can be verbal /non verbal/emotional/by talking more/less etc. J

Prikshit
February 20th, 2014, 04:59 PM

“Of course their is harm in talking more, the more one talks probability of making mistakes increases”
They use more words then men. They have more language protein (Foxp2) as compared to men as per various researches. There is a good explanation in “Men are from mars and women from Venus”
I disagree that people who talk more are not sure of what are they talking about!
I see the opposite angle. If someone can talk on a topic more also means he/she is very confidence of what are they talking about. Using one liner may mean you wonna escape from explanation.
As I said previously better communicators are people who have a lot of empathy for their audience, and can deliver what their audience needs. It can be verbal /non verbal/emotional/by talking more/less etc. J
So to conclude can we say it is not wise to generalize, and its empathy which is important ?
More content can lead to boredom and ambiguity, short and precise things are preferable as a listener.

Gauri
February 20th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Well ! Yes Emphaty is one of the most important part of communication.
In my opinion definitely down to individual.

rekhasmriti
March 8th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Kuch kaho......nothing can beat Politics .......

This Dormant Thread is one more Evidence

krishdel
March 8th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Agreed. Some talk on some topics means that have the knowledge & confidence. A person without confidence will always try to skip talk. In case talking on a topic without any knowledge creates a lot of issue.

sanjeev_balyan
March 8th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Agreed. Some talk on some topics means that have the knowledge & confidence. A person without confidence will always try to skip talk. In case talking on a topic without any knowledge creates a lot of issue.

open your mouth when you are confident that your words will be better than your silence. good listening ability is also equally important as speaking for a good communicator.

Prikshit
March 9th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Kuch kaho......nothing can beat Politics .......

This Dormant Thread is one more Evidence
Belated Happy international women's day.....
Yes another 3-4 months politics discussion will keep on going.
No one is averse to discuss on these threads, its abt taking an initiative and bringing in important issues for discussion

rekhasmriti
March 11th, 2014, 05:55 AM
"Belated Happy international women's day...."

Thank you .

Regards,
Smriti

VirJ
March 12th, 2014, 03:59 PM
In my experience I found woman are indeed ,in general, better communicator.

rajpaldular
March 18th, 2014, 02:01 PM
'यत्र नार्यस्तु पूज्यन्ते रमन्ते तत्र देवता।' लाखों वर्ष पहले हमारे ऋषि मुनियों ने यह उद्घोष किया था। स्त्रियाँ विश्व्सृष्टा की सर्वोत्कृष्ट कृति हैं। सैद्धांतिक दृष्टि से नारियों को सुख -शांति का प्रतीक माना जाता है।

वैदिक काल में यज्ञ आदि धार्मिक कार्यों में वे सहभागिनी रहीं हैं। नारियां विदुषी होतीं थीं वे उच्च शिक्षा ग्रहण करतीं थीं। उन्हें पुरुषों की तरह ही प्रत्येक क्षेत्र में समान अधिकार प्राप्त थे ।

ऋषिकाएं -गोपा, घोषा, विश्ववारा, अपाला, रोमशा आदि ऋग्वेद के अनेक सूक्तों की रचनाकार थीं। अर्थानुक्रमणी में लोपामुद्रा, शाश्वती, सावित्री आदि के नाम हैं। नारियाँ रणक्षेत्र में भी जातीं थीं। विशाला नाम की वीरांगना रणक्षेत्र में गयी थी, जिसके घायल हो जाने पर अश्विनीकुमारों ने उसकी चिकित्सा की थी। परन्तु आज भारतीय नारियों की स्थिति सामान्य होते हुए भी श्रेष्ठ नहीं है, बहुत सम्मान और सुधार की आवश्यकता है।

rekhasmriti
March 19th, 2014, 06:12 AM
" यत्र नार्यस्तु पूज्यन्ते रमन्ते तत्र देवता।"

This is one of my favorite and applied sayings . However I could not understand the connection between they being / or nor better communicators and Respecting Females.

rajpaldular
March 22nd, 2014, 11:50 AM
स्त्री आदरणीय है !

संसार में हिन्दू धर्म ही ऐसा है जो सनातन है (अर्थात जो सम्पूर्ण ब्रह्माण्ड में व्याप्त है एवं जो पहले भी था, आज भी है एवं भविष्य में भी रहेगा) ईश्वर अथवा परमात्मा को स्त्रीवाचक शब्दों जैसे सरस्वती माता, दुर्गा माता, काली मैया, लक्ष्मी माता से भी संबोधित करते हैं। वही हमारा पिता है, वही हमारी माता है (त्वमेव माता च पिता त्वमेव) । हम कहते हैं राधे-कृष्ण, सीता-राम अर्थात् स्त्रीवाचक शब्द का प्रयोग पहले। भारत भूमि भारतमाता है। पशुओं में भी गाय 'गौ माता' है किन्तु बैल पिता नहीं है। हिन्दुओं में ‘ओम् जय जगदीश हरे’ अथवा ‘ॐ नम: शिवाय’ का जितना उद्घोष होता है उतना ही ‘जय माता की’ का भी। स्त्रीत्व को अत्यधिक आदर प्रदान करना हिन्दू जीवन पद्धति के महत्त्वपूर्ण मूल्यों में से एक है । कहा गया है :-

यत्र नार्यस्तु पूज्यन्ते रमन्ते तत्र देवता: ।
यत्रैतास्तु न पूज्यन्ते सर्वास्तत्राफला: क्रिया: ।

अर्थात जहाँ पर स्त्रियों की पूजा होती है, वहाँ देवता रमते हैं। जहाँ उनकी पूजा नहीं होती, वहाँ सब काम निष्फल होते हैं।

शोचन्ति जामयो यत्र विनश्यत्याशु तत्कुलम्।
न शोचन्ति तु यत्रैता वर्धते तद्धि सर्वदा।

अर्थात जिस कुल में स्त्रियाँ दु:खी रहती हैं, वह शीघ्र ही नष्ट हो जाता है। जहाँ वे दु:खी नहीं रहतीं, उस कुल की वृद्धि होती है।

rajpaldular
March 22nd, 2014, 12:08 PM
यत्र नार्यस्तु पूज्यन्ते रमन्ते तत्र देवता:।
यत्रैतास्तु न पूज्यन्ते सर्वास्तत्राफला: क्रिया:।-अथर्ववेद

जिस कुल में नारियों कि पूजा, अर्थात सत्कार होता हैं, उस कुल में दिव्यगुण, दिव्य भोग और उत्तम संतान होती हैं और जिस कुल में स्त्रियों की पूजा नहीं होती, वहां जानो उनकी सब क्रिया निष्फल हैं।

आज से दस हजार वर्ष पहले आर्य अथवा कहें कि वैदिक काल में नारी की स्थिति क्या थी यह सभी के लिए विचारणीय हो सकता है। नारी की स्थिति से समाज और देश के सांस्कृतिक और बौद्धिक स्तर का पता चलता है। यदि नारी को धर्म, समाज और पुरुष के नियमों में बांधकर रखा गया है तो उसकी स्थिति निकृष्ट ही मानी जा सकती है।

किंतु जिन्होंने वेद-गीता पढ़े हैं वे अच्छी प्रकार हैं कि दस हजार वर्ष पूर्व जबकि मानव जंगली था, आर्य पूर्णत: एक सभ्य समाज में बदल चुके थे। तभी तो वेदों में जो नारी की स्थिति का वर्णन है उससे पता चलता है कि उनकी स्थिति आज के समाज से कहीं अधिक आदरणीय और स्वतंत्रतापूर्ण थी।

नारी की स्थिति :-

1.वैदिक काल में कोई भी धार्मिक कार्य नारी की उपस्थिति के बिना प्रारम्भ नहीं होता था। उक्त काल में यज्ञ और धार्मिक प्रार्थना में यज्ञकर्ता अथवा प्रार्थनाकर्ता की पत्नी का होना आवश्यक माना जाता था।

2.नारियों को धर्म, शिक्षा और राजनीति में भी पुरुष के समान ही समानता प्राप्त थी। वे वेद पढ़ती थीं और पढ़ाती भी थीं। मैत्रेयी, गार्गी जैसी नारियाँ इसका उदाहरण है। ऋग्वेद की ऋचाओं में लगभग 414 ऋषियों के नाम मिलते हैं जिनमें से 30 नाम महिला ऋषियों के हैं। यही नहीं नारियां युद्ध कला में भी पारंगत होकर राजपाट भी संभालती थीं।

3.'शतपथ ब्राह्मण' में कहा गया है कि नारी नर की आत्मा का आधा भाग है। नारी के बिना नर का जीवन अधूरा है इस अधूरेपन को दूर करने और सँसार को आगे चलाने के लिए नारी का होना अत्यंत आवश्यक है। नारी को वैदिक युग में देवी की उपाधि प्राप्त थी।

4.ऋग्वेद में वैदिक काल में नारियां बहुत विदुषी और नियम पूर्वक अपने पति के साथ मिलकर कार्य करने वाली और पतिव्रत धर्म का पालन करने वाली होती थीं। पति भी पत्नी की इच्छा और स्वतंत्रता का सम्मान करता था।

5.वैदिक काल में वर तलाश करने के लिए वधु की इच्छा सर्वोपरि होती थी। फिर भी कन्या पिता की इच्छा को भी महत्व देती थी। यदि पिता को कन्या के योग्यवर नहीं लगता था तो वह पिता की इच्छा को भी स्वीकार करती थीं।

6.बहुत-सी नारियां यदि अविवाहित रहना चाहती थीं तो अपने पिता के घर में सम्मान पूर्वक रहती थी। वह घर परिवार के हर कार्य में साथ देती थी। पिता की संम्पति में उनका भी भाग होता था।

7.सनातन वैदिक हिन्दू धर्म में जहां पुरुष के रूप में देवता और भगवानों की पूजा-प्रार्थना होती थी वहीं देवी के रूप में माँ सरस्वती, लक्ष्मी और दुर्गा का वर्णन मिलता है। वैदिक काल में नारियाँ माँ, देवी, साध्वी, गृहिणी, पत्नी और पुत्री के रूप में ससम्मान पूजनीय मानी जाती थीं।

8.बाल विवाह की प्रथा तब नहीं थी। नारी को पूर्ण रूप से शिक्षित किया जाता था। उसे हर वह विद्या सिखाई जाती थी जो पुरुष सीखता था- जैसे वेद ज्ञान, धनुर्विद्या, नृत्य, संगीत शास्त्र आदि। नारी को सभी कलाओं में दक्ष किया जाता था उसके पश्चात ही उसके विवाह के संबंध में सोचा जाता था। इसके कई उदाहरण मिल जाएंगे।

ऐसे हुआ नारी का पतन :-

महाभारत युद्ध के पश्चात नारी का पतन होना आरम्भ हुआ। इस युद्ध के पश्चात समाज बिखर गया, राष्ट्र राजनीतिक शून्य हो गया था और धर्म का पतन भी हो चला था। युद्ध में मारे गए पुरुषों की स्त्रियाँ विधवा होकर बुरे दौर में फंस गई थी।

राजनीतिक शून्यता के चलते राज्य असुरक्षित होने लगे। असुरक्षित राज्य में अराजकता और मनमानी बढ़ गई। इसके चलते नारियाँ सामाजिक, धार्मिक, आर्थिक और सांस्कृतिक शोषण की शिकार होने लगीं। फिर भी यह दौर नारियों के लिए उतना बुरा नहीं था जितना कि मध्य काल रहा।

पुराने समय में पुरुष के साथ चलने वाली नारी मध्य काल में पुरुष की सम्पति की तरह समझी जाने लगी। इसी सोच के चलते नारियों की स्वतंत्रता समाप्त हो गई। मध्य काल में नए-नए जन्मे तथाकथित धर्मों ने नारी को धार्मिक तौर पर दबाना और शोषण करना प्रारम्भ किया।

धर्म और समाज के जंगली नियमों ने नारी को पुरुष से नीचा और निम्न घोषित कर उसे उपभोग की वस्तु बनाकर रख दिया। वैदिक युग की नारी शनैः-शनैः अपने देवीय पद से नीचे खिसकर मध्यकाल के सामन्तवादी युग में दुर्बल होकर शोषण का शिकार होने लगी।

तथाकथित मध्यकालीन धर्म ने नारी को पुरुर्षों पर निर्भर बनाने के लिए उसे सामूहिक रूप से पतित अनधिकारी बताया गया। उसके मूल अधिकारों पर प्रतिबंध लगाकर पुरुष को हर स्थान पर श्रेष्ठ बताकर नारी के अवचेन में शक्तिहीन होने का आभास जगाया गया जिसके चलते उसे सरलता से विद्याहीन, साहसहीन कर दिया जाए। समाज, देश और धर्म के *नारी को अनुपयोगी बनाया गया जिससे कि वह अपने जीवन यापन, सम्मान एवँ आत्मरक्षा के लिए पूर्णत: पुरुष पर निर्भर हो जाए।

इस सभी तरह के भय और भयानक वातावरण के चलते हिन्दुओं में भी पर्दाप्रथा, बाल विवाह प्रथा और नारियों को शिक्षा से दूर रखने का चलन बढ़ गया।

"हे नारी! तू स्वयं को पहचान। तू शेरनी है, तू शत्रु रूप मृगों का मर्दन करने वाली है, देवजनों के हितार्थ अपने अन्दर सामर्थ्य उत्पन्न कर।
हे नारी! तू अविद्या आदि दोषों पर शेरनी की तरह टूटने वाली है, तू दिव्य गुणों के प्रचारार्थ स्वयं को शुद्ध कर।
हे नारी! तू दुष्कर्म एवं दुर्व्यसनों को शेरनी के समान विश्वंस्त करने वाली हैं, धार्मिक जनों के हितार्थ स्वयं को दिव्य गुणों से अलंकृत कर।"--यजुर्वेद 5/10 -शतायु

rkumar
March 22nd, 2014, 09:25 PM
यत्र नार्यस्तु पूज्यन्ते रमन्ते तत्र देवता:।
यत्रैतास्तु न पूज्यन्ते सर्वास्तत्राफला: क्रिया:।-अथर्ववेद

जिस कुल में नारियों कि पूजा, अर्थात सत्कार होता हैं, उस कुल में दिव्यगुण, दिव्य भोग और उत्तम संतान होती हैं और जिस कुल में स्त्रियों की पूजा नहीं होती, वहां जानो उनकी सब क्रिया निष्फल हैं।

आज से दस हजार वर्ष पहले आर्य अथवा कहें कि वैदिक काल में नारी की स्थिति क्या थी यह सभी के लिए विचारणीय हो सकता है। नारी की स्थिति से समाज और देश के सांस्कृतिक और बौद्धिक स्तर का पता चलता है। यदि नारी को धर्म, समाज और पुरुष के नियमों में बांधकर रखा गया है तो उसकी स्थिति निकृष्ट ही मानी जा सकती है।

किंतु जिन्होंने वेद-गीता पढ़े हैं वे अच्छी प्रकार हैं कि दस हजार वर्ष पूर्व जबकि मानव जंगली था, आर्य पूर्णत: एक सभ्य समाज में बदल चुके थे। तभी तो वेदों में जो नारी की स्थिति का वर्णन है उससे पता चलता है कि उनकी स्थिति आज के समाज से कहीं अधिक आदरणीय और स्वतंत्रतापूर्ण थी।

नारी की स्थिति :-

1.वैदिक काल में कोई भी धार्मिक कार्य नारी की उपस्थिति के बिना प्रारम्भ नहीं होता था। उक्त काल में यज्ञ और धार्मिक प्रार्थना में यज्ञकर्ता अथवा प्रार्थनाकर्ता की पत्नी का होना आवश्यक माना जाता था।

2.नारियों को धर्म, शिक्षा और राजनीति में भी पुरुष के समान ही समानता प्राप्त थी। वे वेद पढ़ती थीं और पढ़ाती भी थीं। मैत्रेयी, गार्गी जैसी नारियाँ इसका उदाहरण है। ऋग्वेद की ऋचाओं में लगभग 414 ऋषियों के नाम मिलते हैं जिनमें से 30 नाम महिला ऋषियों के हैं। यही नहीं नारियां युद्ध कला में भी पारंगत होकर राजपाट भी संभालती थीं।

3.'शतपथ ब्राह्मण' में कहा गया है कि नारी नर की आत्मा का आधा भाग है। नारी के बिना नर का जीवन अधूरा है इस अधूरेपन को दूर करने और सँसार को आगे चलाने के लिए नारी का होना अत्यंत आवश्यक है। नारी को वैदिक युग में देवी की उपाधि प्राप्त थी।

4.ऋग्वेद में वैदिक काल में नारियां बहुत विदुषी और नियम पूर्वक अपने पति के साथ मिलकर कार्य करने वाली और पतिव्रत धर्म का पालन करने वाली होती थीं। पति भी पत्नी की इच्छा और स्वतंत्रता का सम्मान करता था।

5.वैदिक काल में वर तलाश करने के लिए वधु की इच्छा सर्वोपरि होती थी। फिर भी कन्या पिता की इच्छा को भी महत्व देती थी। यदि पिता को कन्या के योग्यवर नहीं लगता था तो वह पिता की इच्छा को भी स्वीकार करती थीं।

6.बहुत-सी नारियां यदि अविवाहित रहना चाहती थीं तो अपने पिता के घर में सम्मान पूर्वक रहती थी। वह घर परिवार के हर कार्य में साथ देती थी। पिता की संम्पति में उनका भी भाग होता था।

7.सनातन वैदिक हिन्दू धर्म में जहां पुरुष के रूप में देवता और भगवानों की पूजा-प्रार्थना होती थी वहीं देवी के रूप में माँ सरस्वती, लक्ष्मी और दुर्गा का वर्णन मिलता है। वैदिक काल में नारियाँ माँ, देवी, साध्वी, गृहिणी, पत्नी और पुत्री के रूप में ससम्मान पूजनीय मानी जाती थीं।

8.बाल विवाह की प्रथा तब नहीं थी। नारी को पूर्ण रूप से शिक्षित किया जाता था। उसे हर वह विद्या सिखाई जाती थी जो पुरुष सीखता था- जैसे वेद ज्ञान, धनुर्विद्या, नृत्य, संगीत शास्त्र आदि। नारी को सभी कलाओं में दक्ष किया जाता था उसके पश्चात ही उसके विवाह के संबंध में सोचा जाता था। इसके कई उदाहरण मिल जाएंगे।

ऐसे हुआ नारी का पतन :-

महाभारत युद्ध के पश्चात नारी का पतन होना आरम्भ हुआ। इस युद्ध के पश्चात समाज बिखर गया, राष्ट्र राजनीतिक शून्य हो गया था और धर्म का पतन भी हो चला था। युद्ध में मारे गए पुरुषों की स्त्रियाँ विधवा होकर बुरे दौर में फंस गई थी।

राजनीतिक शून्यता के चलते राज्य असुरक्षित होने लगे। असुरक्षित राज्य में अराजकता और मनमानी बढ़ गई। इसके चलते नारियाँ सामाजिक, धार्मिक, आर्थिक और सांस्कृतिक शोषण की शिकार होने लगीं। फिर भी यह दौर नारियों के लिए उतना बुरा नहीं था जितना कि मध्य काल रहा।

पुराने समय में पुरुष के साथ चलने वाली नारी मध्य काल में पुरुष की सम्पति की तरह समझी जाने लगी। इसी सोच के चलते नारियों की स्वतंत्रता समाप्त हो गई। मध्य काल में नए-नए जन्मे तथाकथित धर्मों ने नारी को धार्मिक तौर पर दबाना और शोषण करना प्रारम्भ किया।

धर्म और समाज के जंगली नियमों ने नारी को पुरुष से नीचा और निम्न घोषित कर उसे उपभोग की वस्तु बनाकर रख दिया। वैदिक युग की नारी शनैः-शनैः अपने देवीय पद से नीचे खिसकर मध्यकाल के सामन्तवादी युग में दुर्बल होकर शोषण का शिकार होने लगी।

तथाकथित मध्यकालीन धर्म ने नारी को पुरुर्षों पर निर्भर बनाने के लिए उसे सामूहिक रूप से पतित अनधिकारी बताया गया। उसके मूल अधिकारों पर प्रतिबंध लगाकर पुरुष को हर स्थान पर श्रेष्ठ बताकर नारी के अवचेन में शक्तिहीन होने का आभास जगाया गया जिसके चलते उसे सरलता से विद्याहीन, साहसहीन कर दिया जाए। समाज, देश और धर्म के *नारी को अनुपयोगी बनाया गया जिससे कि वह अपने जीवन यापन, सम्मान एवँ आत्मरक्षा के लिए पूर्णत: पुरुष पर निर्भर हो जाए।

इस सभी तरह के भय और भयानक वातावरण के चलते हिन्दुओं में भी पर्दाप्रथा, बाल विवाह प्रथा और नारियों को शिक्षा से दूर रखने का चलन बढ़ गया।

"हे नारी! तू स्वयं को पहचान। तू शेरनी है, तू शत्रु रूप मृगों का मर्दन करने वाली है, देवजनों के हितार्थ अपने अन्दर सामर्थ्य उत्पन्न कर।
हे नारी! तू अविद्या आदि दोषों पर शेरनी की तरह टूटने वाली है, तू दिव्य गुणों के प्रचारार्थ स्वयं को शुद्ध कर।
हे नारी! तू दुष्कर्म एवं दुर्व्यसनों को शेरनी के समान विश्वंस्त करने वाली हैं, धार्मिक जनों के हितार्थ स्वयं को दिव्य गुणों से अलंकृत कर।"--यजुर्वेद 5/10 -शतायु

Kuch nahi badla . On the one hand we worship female power and on the other hand they get rapped. Story has been same all through the history. Ram Yug me bhi wahi thaa aur mahabharat yug me bhi. Sita ki durgati huee, Supnakha ka nak kata, Sugreev ki biwi ko Bali ne rakha. Draupdi ko bal pakad kar ghaseeta gaya, Kashi Naresh ke betiya jabardasti uthaayee gayee.. Sab dhakosle hain..

Gai bhi hamari mata hai magar bechari ka sadkon par haal dekhiye
Dharti bhi hamari mata hai magar uski bhi kiya durdasa karke rakhee hai
Ganga bhi hamari mata hai, magar wo bhi mailee kar dali
Aurton ko bazar me baithaa diya hai jishm farosi ke liye.
Shakuntala ko Raja Dushiyant ne accept karne ko mana kar diya tha..

RK^2

rajpaldular
March 26th, 2014, 12:00 PM
भारत में पुरुषों के साथ ही भारतीय महिला दार्शनिकों तथा साध्वियों की लम्बी परंपरा रही है। वेदों की ऋचाओं को गढ़ने में भारत की बहुत-सी स्त्रियों का योगदान रहा है उनमें से ही एक है गर्गवंश में वचक्नु नामक महर्षि की पुत्री 'वाचकन्वी गार्गी'।

माना जाता है कि राजा जनक प्रतिवर्ष अपने यहां शास्त्रार्थ करवाते थे। एक बार जनक ने श्रेष्ठ ब्रह्मज्ञानी की परीक्षा लेने के लिए एक शास्त्रार्थ सभा का आयोजन किया।

उन्होंने शास्त्रार्थ विजेता के लिए सोने की मुहरें जड़ित 1000 गायों को दान में देने की घोषणा कर रखी थी। उन्होंने कहा था कि शास्त्रार्थ के लिए जो भी पथारे हैं उनमें से जो भी श्रेष्ठ ज्ञानी विजेता बनेगा वह इन गायों को ले जा सकता है। निर्णय लेना अति दुविधाजनक था, क्योंकि अगर कोई ज्ञानी अपने को सबसे बड़ा ज्ञानी माने तो वह ज्ञानी कैसे कहलाएं?

ऐसी स्थिति में ऋषि याज्ञवल्क्य ने अति आत्मविश्वास से भरकर अपने शिष्यों से कहा, 'हे शिष्यो! इन गायों को हमारे आश्रम की और हांक ले चलो।' इतना सुनते ही सब ऋषि याज्ञवल्क्य से शास्त्रार्थ करने लगे। याज्ञवल्क्य ने सबके प्रश्नों का यथाविधि उत्तर दिया।

उस सभा में वेदज्ञ स्त्री गार्गी भी उपस्थित थी। याज्ञवल्क्य से शास्त्रार्थ करने के लिए गार्गी उठीं और पूछा कि हे ऋषिवर! क्या आप अपने को सबसे बड़ा ज्ञानी मानते हैं, जो आपने गायों को हांकने के लिए अपने शिष्यों को आदेश दे दिया?

याज्ञवल्क्य ने कहा कि मां! मैं स्वयं को ज्ञानी नहीं मानता परन्तु इन गायों को देख मेरे मन में मोह उत्पन्न हो गया है।

गार्गी ने कहा कि आपको मोह हुआ, लेकिन यह इनाम प्राप्त करने के लिए योग्य कारण नहीं है। अगर सभी सभासदों की आज्ञा हो तो में आपसे कुछ प्रश्न पूछना चाहूंगी। अगर आप इनके संतोषजनक जवाब दे पाएं तो आप इन गायों को निश्चित ही ले जाएं।'

सभी ने गार्गी को आज्ञा दे दी। गार्गी का प्रश्न था, 'हे ऋषिवर! जल के बारे में कहा जाता है कि हर पदार्थ इसमें घुलमिल जाता है तो यह जल किसमें जाकर मिल जाता है?'

गार्गी का यह पहला प्रश्न बहुत ही सरल था, लेकिन याज्ञवल्क्य प्रश्न में उलझकर क्रोधित हो गए। बाद में उन्होंने आराम से और ठीक ही कह दिया कि जल अन्तत: वायु में ओतप्रोत हो जाता है। फिर गार्गी ने पूछ लिया कि वायु किसमें जाकर मिल जाती है और याज्ञवल्क्य का उत्तर था कि अंतरिक्ष लोक में।

पर गार्गी याज्ञवल्क्य के हर उत्तर को प्रश्न में बदलती गई और इस तरह गंधर्व लोक, आदित्य लोक, चन्द्रलोक, नक्षत्र लोक, देवलोक, इन्द्रलोक, प्रजापति लोक और ब्रह्मलोक तक जा पहुंची और अन्त में गार्गी ने फिर वही प्रश्न पूछ लिया कि यह ब्रह्मलोक किसमें जाकर मिल जाता है?

इस पर गार्गी पर क्रोधित होकर याज्ञवक्ल्य ने कहा, 'गार्गी, माति प्राक्षीर्मा ते मूर्धा व्यापप्त्त्’। अर्थात गार्गी, इतने प्रश्न मत करो, कहीं ऐसा न हो कि इससे तुम्हारा मस्तक फट जाए।

अच्छा वक्ता वही होता है जिसे पता होता है कि कब बोलना और कब चुप रहना है और गार्गी अच्छी वक्ता थी इसीलिए क्रोधित याज्ञवल्क्य की फटकार चुपचाप सुनती रही।

दूसरे प्रश्न में गार्गी ने अपनी जीत की कील ठोंक दी। उन्होंने अपने प्रतिद्वन्द्वी यानी याज्ञवल्क्य से दो प्रश्न पूछने थे तो उन्होंने बड़ी ही लाजवाब भूमिका बांधी।

गार्गी ने पूछा, 'ऋषिवर सुनो। जिस प्रकार काशी या अयोध्या का राजा अपने एक साथ दो अचूक बाणों को धनुष पर चढ़ाकर अपने दुश्मन पर लक्ष्य साधता है, वैसे ही मैं आपसे दो प्रश्न पूछती हूं।' गार्गी बड़े ही आक्रामक मूड में आ गई।

याज्ञवल्क्य ने कहा- हे गार्गी, पूछो।

गार्गी ने पूछा, 'स्वर्गलोक से ऊपर जो कुछ भी है और पृथ्वी से नीचे जो कुछ भी है और इन दोनों के मध्य जो कुछ भी है, और जो हो चुका है और जो अभी होना है, ये दोनों किसमें ओतप्रोत हैं?'

गार्गी का पहला प्रश्न 'स्पेस' और दूसरा 'टाइम' के बारे था। स्पेस और टाइम के बाहर भी कुछ है क्या? नहीं है, इसलिए गार्गी ने बाण की तरह पैने इन दो प्रश्नों के जरिए यह पूछ लिया कि सारा ब्रह्माण्ड किसके अधीन है?

याज्ञवल्क्य ने कहा- एतस्य वा अक्षरस्य प्रशासने गार्गी।’ यानी कोई अक्षर, अविनाशी तत्व है जिसके प्रशासन में, अनुशासन में सभी कुछ ओतप्रोत है। गार्गी ने पूछा कि यह सारा ब्रह्माण्ड किसके अधीन है तो याज्ञवल्क्य का उत्तर था- अक्षरतत्व के! इस बार याज्ञवल्क्य ने अक्षरतत्व के बारे में विस्तार से समझाया।

इस बार गार्गी अपने प्रश्नों के जवाब से इतनी प्रभावित हुई कि जनक की राजसभा में उसने याज्ञवल्क्य को परम ब्रह्मिष्ठ मान लिया। इसके बाद गार्गी ने याज्ञवल्क्य की प्रशंसा कर अपनी बात खत्म की तो सभी ने माना कि गार्गी में जरा भी अहंकार नहीं है। गार्गी ने याज्ञवल्क्य को प्रणाम किया और सभा से विदा ली। गार्गी का उद्*येश्य ऋषि याज्ञवल्क्य को हराना नहीं था।

जैसे कि पहले ही कहा गया है कि गार्गी वेदज्ञ और ब्रह्माज्ञानी थी तो वे सभी प्रश्नों के जवाब जानती थी। यहां इस कहानी को बताने का तात्पर्य यह है कि अर्जुन की ही तरह गार्गी के प्रश्नों के कारण 'बृहदारण्यक उपनिषद्' की ऋचाओं का निर्माण हुआ। यह उपनिषद वेदों का एक हिस्सा है।

rajpaldular
March 26th, 2014, 12:04 PM
21 वीं शताब्दी को अन्तर्विरोधों का या विरोधाभासों की सदी कहा जाए तो कुछ अतिशयोक्ति नहीं होगी। समाज में नारी के स्थान के विषय में अन्तर्विरोधों की सीमा नहीं है। एक ओर नारी राष्ट्रपति और मंत्री जैसे पदों को अलंकृत कर रही है तो दूसरी ओर "कार्पोरेट" जगत में भी वह ऊंची से ऊंची कुर्सी पर विराजमान है। शिक्षा, चिकित्सा, व्यवसाय, राजनीति सभी क्षेत्रों में स्त्रियों की भागीदारी बढ़ी है। परन्तु दूसरी तरफ देखें तो नारी का घर-बाहर दोनों जगह शोषण है। कहीं भी वह सुरक्षित नहीं। कार्यस्थल पर छेड़खानी से लेकर यौनशोषण तक उसे झेलना पड़ता है। उच्च पदों पर आसीन नारियों का प्रतिशत बहुत कम है। उसकी आर्थिक निर्भरता बढ़ने से आत्मविश्वास बढ़ा है। पर पारिवारिक-सामाजिक स्तरों पर उसे पूरी तरह स्वीकृति मिलना अभी शेष है। स्त्री-पुरुष संबंधों पर स्वभावत: इन सब समस्याओं का दुष्प्रभाव जारी है। ऐसे में प्रश्न उठता है कि क्या कभी ऐसा समय था जब स्त्री को समानता का दर्जा मिला हो? या उसका जीवन शोषण-रहित, भ्रूण हत्या, दहेज हत्या या अन्य हिंसात्मक कर्मों से मुक्त रहा हो? या वह समाज में गौरवपूर्ण स्थान की अधिकारिणी रही हो?
हर्ष की बात है कि इन प्रश्नों का उत्तर सकारात्मक है। वैदिक युग सच में नारी के परिवार व समाज में स्थान की दृष्टि से "स्वर्णिम-काल" ही कहा जाएगा। विद्वानों का मानना है कि प्रागवैदिक काल में समाज मातृसत्तात्मक था जिसमें स्त्री श्रेष्ठ और उच्च भूमिका में थी। वैदिक युग का समाज उनके अनुसार पितृसत्तात्मक रहा। कारण कि अधिकतर मंत्र द्रष्टा पुरुष ही हैं। पर मात्र संख्या के आधार पर उस काल, उस समाज में स्त्री का स्थान हीन नहीं माना जा सकता। उस युग में स्त्रियों की शिक्षा-दीक्षा की सुंदर व्यवस्था थी तथा सामाजिक कार्यों में उनकी महत्वपूर्ण भूमिका थी। अध्ययन-अध्यापन के अतिरिक्त युद्धों तक में स्त्रियों की भागीदारी रहती थी। घर-परिवार तथा सभाओं में और संघर्षमय युद्धों में सर्वत्र स्त्रियां अपनी अमिट छाप छोड़ती थीं।
ऋग्वेद में 24 तथा अथर्ववेद में 5 वैदिक ऋषिकाओं का उल्लेख है। ये सभी मंत्रद्रष्टा रही हैं। मंत्र रचना-कर्म विशिष्ट कर्म था उसमें निष्णात महिलाओं ने सक्रिय सहयोग दिया तथा धर्म, कर्तव्य अधिकार तथा अध्यात्म के संबंध में अपनी विशेष विचारधारा का प्रसार किया। कुछ सूक्त तो अत्यंत श्रेष्ठ तथा महत्वपूर्ण हैं। ऐसे में याद आता है वाक्सूक्त जिसमें वाक्तत्व का शास्त्रीय विवेचन है। भाषा-विज्ञान के सूत्रों को कुशलता से प्रस्तुत किया है ऋषिका ने। सूर्या सावित्री नामक ऋषिका ने 47 मंत्रों में विवाह संबंधी कृत्य तथा स्त्री-पुरुष की समानता का खूबसूरत आधार तलाशा है। श्रद्धा कामायनी नामक ऋषिका ने मनोवैज्ञानिक तथ्यों के निष्कर्ष दिए हैं। वीरता की भावना से ओत-प्रोत इन्द्राणी सूक्त तो विलक्षण है। इन्द्राणी सूक्त में इन्द्राणी को सेनानी रूप में प्रस्तुत किया है-
इन्द्राण्येतु प्रथमाजीतामुषिता -अथर्ववेद 1.27.4
इन्द्राणी सदैव विजयिनी रहे, कोई उससे कुछ लूट न सके। इन्द्राणी का आत्मगौरव प्रशस्य है- अहं केतुरहं मूर्धाऽहमुग्रा विवाचनी ममेदनु क्रतुं पति: सेहानाया उपाचरेत्। -ऋग्वेद, 10.159.2
अर्थात् मैं ज्ञान में अग्रगण्य हूं, स्त्रियों में मूर्धन्य हूं, उच्चकोटि की वक्ता हूं। विजयिनी हूं और मेरी इच्छा के अनुसार पति भी चलते हैं। केवल पति की दृष्टि में ही नहीं पूरे पतिगृह पर शासन करने वाली वह रही है। ऋग्वेदकाल की विशेषता है कि वहां सास-ससुर, देवर-ननद सबकी सम्राज्ञी कहा है सुमंगली वधू को-
सम्राज्ञी श्वशुरे भव, सम्राज्ञी श्वश्रुवां भव। ननान्दरि सम्राज्ञी भव, सम्राज्ञी अधि देवृषु।। -ऋग्वेद 10.85.46
यशस्विनी, सत्यवती वैदिक नारी कहीं से भी दीन-हीन नहीं है। घर-परिवार व समाज में सर्वत्र उसे आत्मदीप्त रूप से देखा जा सकता है। माता के रूप में "वीरप्रसविनी" रूप के गीत गाए गए हैं। वह कमनीय, ज्योति:रूप, अदिति (अखण्डनीया) है तथा मही, सरस्वती है। यज्ञ में, युद्ध में, संघर्ष में, उत्सव में सर्वत्र वह पुरुष के साथ कंधे से कंधा मिलाकर चलती है।
वैदिक ऋषि स्वयं निवेदन करता है सब दिशाओं को अपने यश से भर दो-
अप्यथमाना पृथिव्याम् आशा दिश आ पृण। -यजुर्वेद 11.63
हे देवी! उठ खड़ी हो तथा जीवन में सदा स्थिरता के साथ खड़ी रहो-
उत्थाय वृहती भवोत्तिष्ठ, ध्रुवा त्वम्। -यजुर्वेद 11.64
जो वेद नारी के इतने गौरव तथा आत्मसम्मान को वरीयता देता है, उसे इतना अधिकार दिलवाता है, वही उसे कर्तव्यनिष्ठ बनने की प्रेरणा भी देता है। वैदिक युग की नारी सदैव सत्य मार्ग पर चलती है, पत्नी और वधू के कर्तव्य वहन करती है। इतने भव्य रूप वाली नारी को वेद में "ब्राहृ" की उच्चतम उपाधि से अलंकृत किया गया है।
स्त्री हि ब्राहृ बभूविथ -ऋग्वेद 8.33.19
आधुनिक युग का तकाजा है कि स्त्री अपने खोए हुए गरिमापूर्ण रूप को फिर से प्राप्त करे। स्पष्ट है कि इसके लिए उसे स्वयं भी, पुरुष वर्ग और समाज को भी सत्प्रयास करने होंगे। जिस देश या राष्ट्र में आधी आबादी अशिक्षित हो, शोषित हो, पीड़ित हो- उस देश या राष्ट्र का भविष्य क्या होगा?