PDA

View Full Version : LUCKNOW-The Period of Confusion and remembering Nehru

bls31
November 13th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Life in Lucknow was not only studies, generally kept on the back burner but also fun and growing up. Tennis in the evenings followed by bus rides or cycling for strolling up and down to Hazrat Ganj

Lucknow University with Acharya Narendra, the great educationist and scholar as the Vice Chancellor, had a good name among the universities.

Coming to a big city with life spent till now in small towns every thing appeared so different and magnified as seen during the Tonga ride from the Charbagh Rly Station to Butler Hostel in the University complex. It was overwhelming: the tamarind trees lining the wide roads, the now deserted old buildings and monuments from the era of Nabwabs of Oudh, the Monkey Bridge over river Gomti with the Taj Mahal like Chatter Manzil on the near bank with the imposing Art Faculty building of Canning college on the far bank and finally Butler hostel where I was to spend next five years of my student life in the University

There were hordes of girls moving about in the college campus. For me who had till now studied in all male classes it was a totally new and disturbing experience, especially with four of them in my class.

The more memorable event was the visit by Pandit Nehru to the university, when he sat on a table, legs dangling, in the quadrangle of the Arts Faculty and addressed us, the students, listening to him in rapt attention seated on the grass, facing him. No security, no protocol it was a completely informal meet.

Extract from my book 'A solders Journey in Life ....'