PDA

View Full Version : A dog story

bls31
February 3rd, 2015, 01:12 PM
The sun having broken out the thick blanket of fog engulfing the surroundings, on this bitterly cold late January afternoon I take courage and will myself to take a walk round the colony. Preparing to face the cold and the chill from the stiff breeze blowing down below I slip the Cap Balaklava over the head, wrap a Muffler round the neck and don the Parka and take the lift down to the ground floor.

I pass by the imposing GVCC building and at Gate Two of the Colony turn right and head towards Phase Three Complex of the Township. .

Further ahead on the branch road towards the market, I notice a number of mongrels, the other residents of the town, slumbering in the warmth from the now brightly shining Sun... As I approached the market the till now sleeping , the hungry dogs of the colony, suddenly become restive and the pack now in a frenzy, yelping with hanging tongues salivating surrounding me, some even trying to climb on my back. Anyone else in my place would have panicked and possibly acted differently. Hailing from a dog owing family, I am familiar with Dogs and their nature, my parents always had a dog in the house even when they shifted to our ancestral village post his retirement but always of the Alsatian breed with Jack and Lucy the preferred names. Jeet, my late wife also from a family of dog lovers, found it difficult to refuse the gift of an Lahsa Apso , soon to be named Duffy followed by, once again, a forced gift from another dear friend, a Pom and then followed Dobermans, starting with the female Dona and her progeny Rollo.

Just as I knew dogs, possibly the dogs, with their canine instinct, had sensed the soft corner residing within me for their elk, had acted in the manner, hoping for some thing to quench their hunger. Unfortunately I had nothing handy and continued my walk, leaving them hungry, disappointed and hopefully waiting for some other caring for them soul to pass through..

I walked on, wondering as to what could be done by the Society to mitigate their suffering from the elements and the pangs of hunger that at times makes them wail and cry late in the night.

The poor dogs, despised and considered a menace by majority of the residents are more reliable guards , raising an alarm by there loud barking, signalling an intrusion late in the night, than the generally asleep , expensive to hire, guards of the colony ,

bks31