PDA

View Full Version : Beti Bachao - Beti Padhao

DrRajpalSingh
April 20th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Theinfluential Khaps or caste councils from three states have vowed to work toend female foeticide and demanded a provision for 10-year jail to theguilty, arguing that if such strict law can be framed for cow slaughter why notfor protecting girl child.
Breakingfrom tradition, two women were among those who presided over the largelymale-dominated Mahapanchayat (grand assembly) of about 100 khaps from Haryana,Uttar Pradesh and Delhi yesterday, which decided to promote 'Beti Bachao Beti Padhao' scheme.

Kindly join hands to make the programme a success.

DrRajpalSingh
April 22nd, 2015, 08:46 AM
In the meeting of the Khaps it was also suggested the following line of action for the government of Haryana :

"Likethe cow protection Act, the Haryana government should also frame a law giving10 years punishment for those caught in acts of female foeticide, besides heftyfines too should be imposed.

"Ifstrict law can be there for cows, which we support, then why can't there be atough law for those who kill the girls inside wombs and don't even allow them to see the outside world," Om Prakash, general secretary of the Jat Mahasabha, Mann, said on Sunday.

For"protection and upkeep" of cows, Haryana assembly had last month passed a Bill which clamps a complete ban on cow slaughter in the state and provides for a rigorous imprisonment ranging from three years to 10 years for killing the animal.

The Khaps are high influential caste groupings but have gained notoriety in thepast with their controversial diktats against same gotra (sub-caste) marriages,uses of mobile phones and other issues.

A resolution has been passed under which committees would be formed to take the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao drive to the district, block and village level for creating awareness about the importance of the girl child, Prakash said.

Contd.....

DrRajpalSingh
April 22nd, 2015, 08:48 AM
They also resolved to ‘socially boycott’ the persons found indulging in female foeticide.

He said that Khaps will strive to promote education of girls, make people aware about the ills of dowry practice and help safe girls for a healthy society.

"A person who informs about female foeticide, he/she will be honoured by theKhaps," he further said. On the occasion, a pledge was taken by everyone present against female foeticide.

Mann said the meeting was presided by women also unlike in the past when mostly menwere seen.

"Those who presided over the Mahapanchayat included Ram Karan Solanki, Jaimal Singh,Jagvanti Malik and Sudesh Chaudhary," he said.
"Wewanted to give a message that if women are not given equal space to speak andallowed to stand shoulder to shoulder with men, then the whole purpose will be defeated,"he said.
contd...

DrRajpalSingh
April 22nd, 2015, 08:50 AM
He said that when a delegation of Jats had recently met Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Delhi on the issue of Jat reservation, many Khaps were also part of the delegation.
"The prime minister had then requested the Khaps to support our BBBP campaign, because we (Khaps) work at the grassroot level and can play a crucial role in the success of the Centre's initiative," he said.
Mann said it was the happiest moment for him when he became father of a girl after having seven sons. "I was very happy when a girl was born to me. I educated her and made her a doctor. She has made me proud and now I am even more proud as I have got an able son-in-law who is a judicial magistrate," he said.
Launching 'beti bachao, beti padhao (save daughter, educate daughter)' scheme in Panipat district of Haryana in January, Modi had said discrimination against girls shows a mindset which is harmful for the future of the nation.

Source of the report posted above : http://www.rediff.com/news/report/haryana-khaps-want-strict-law-against-female-foeticide/20150419.htm