PDA

View Full Version : Sexual Harassment @ Work Place

rekhasmriti
March 29th, 2017, 10:12 PM
Dear All ,

I have been reading articles about same - how Laws have been made to prevent Sexual Harassment @ Work Place .
Still there are incidents reported where no action has been taken .

Many of us works for Corporate - where Quid Pro Quo is Offline quite prevalent .

So I am curious - what JL thinks about same .
What are some Key things we can inculcate in our attitude to make sure we neither falls under category of Victim nor Accused .

My usual advice to everyone is to avoid " Office Romance " - come what may !

maddhan1979
March 30th, 2017, 08:30 AM
It has both the sides, having said that, let us not dwell into any religious ideology which promote one side view.

At the core of the matter, humans of both the sex's are at the same mental and physical level.

Religious mindset promotes one sex over the other for its own use by the words such as weaker sex, etc.

Only difference is the criminal mentality or a natural activity behind any event, participants of which can be any of the so called "weaker or stronger sex". "weaker Sex" is often a term used to denote female of human species.

Religious mindset also thrives on "making individuals of either sex, economically or physically disabled" to take away individual's power for "self determination of right and wrong for his/her own life".

Thereby a victim is created.

maddhan1979
March 30th, 2017, 11:27 AM
It has both the sides, having said that, let us not dwell into any religious ideology which promote one side view.

At the core of the matter humans of both the sex's are at the same mental and physical level.

Religious mindset promotes one sex over the other for its own use by the words such as weaker sex, etc.

Only difference is the criminal mentality/natural activity behind any event, participants of which can be any of the so called "weaker or stronger sex". "weaker Sex" is often a term used to denote female of human species.

Religious mindset also thrives on "making individuals of either sex, economically/ physically disabled" to take away individual's power for "self determination of right and wrong for his/her own life".

Thereby a victim is created.

Words like "Marriage, morality, etc.," also create a breeding pool for the religion's exploitation.

These words also lay the foundation for exploitation of individuals and families.

vijay
March 31st, 2017, 12:38 PM
There is a clause in the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace Bill 2012.

Prohibition of Publication of Identity and Content

Notwithstanding anything contained in the Right to information Act, 2005, following cannot be communicated or made known to public, press or media:

Identity and address of the aggrieved woman, respondent or witnesses
Any information relating to conciliation and inquiry proceedings, recommendations of the internal committee
Action taken by the employer

There is a penalty for the person entrusted with the duty to handle or deal with the complaint, inquiry, recommendations or actions for the publication or making known the contents of complaint and inquiry proceedings.

So, in such cases the inquiry, action taken and penalties are settled without a public statement and most of the people think that nothing happened on the report. Only aggrieved women, respondent, witnesses and employer apart from the Internal Complaint Committee know about it.

Obviously, official romance is never official in any circumstances.

maddhan1979
March 31st, 2017, 08:41 PM
There is a clause in the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace Bill 2012.

Prohibition of Publication of Identity and Content

Notwithstanding anything contained in the Right to information Act, 2005, following cannot be communicated or made known to public, press or media:

Identity and address of the aggrieved woman, respondent or witnesses
Any information relating to conciliation and inquiry proceedings, recommendations of the internal committee
Action taken by the employer

There is a penalty for the person entrusted with the duty to handle or deal with the complaint, inquiry, recommendations or actions for the publication or making known the contents of complaint and inquiry proceedings.

So, in such cases the inquiry, action taken and penalties are settled without a public statement and most of the people think that nothing happened on the report. Only aggrieved women, respondent, witnesses and employer apart from the Internal Complaint Committee know about it.

Obviously, official romance is never official in any circumstances.

It is better that such things are out in open, truth will be known and report to legal authorities as in most systems women are legally better protected than men . People have a tendency to tell lies and victims are always created through different means, many times.
Indirect channels are major source of victimization and victim creation often have criminals and wrong elements operating these channels.

Lot of the times there are social, religious and different types of lobbies and groups which create situations and victims, openness brings out the truth as to who is exactly responsible for what?

rekhasmriti
March 31st, 2017, 09:39 PM
" inquiry, action taken and penalties are settled without a public statement and most of the people think that nothing happened on the report. Only aggrieved women, respondent, witnesses and employer apart from the Internal Complaint Committee know about it."

This is the trickiest part .
1st @ work nothing is confidential . 2nd majority of employee aware of incident but not action - half truth which lead to more baseless stories

vijay
March 31st, 2017, 11:05 PM
This is the trickiest part .
1st @ work nothing is confidential . 2nd majority of employee aware of incident but not action - half truth which lead to more baseless stories

That's true and maybe that's why most of the aggrieved women avoid talking about it.

Secondly, Internal Complaint committee is on payrole of the employer and every employer don't want scandals at the workplace which downgrade the reputation of the enterprise.

However, there is another side of the coin. Most of the women ( who suffers ) remains silent due to one or other reasons while many women take advantage of this rule every now and then to harass males just like dowry and domestic violence cases against the husbands.

maddhan1979
April 2nd, 2017, 06:28 PM
Words like "Marriage, morality, etc.," also create a breeding pool for the religion's exploitation.

These words also lay the foundation for exploitation of individuals and families.

Lot of women and men face attacks and violence by society and criminal elements due to such words and lot of "men and women", face odd situations.

neel6318
August 21st, 2017, 02:05 PM
However, there is another side of the coin. Most of the women ( who suffers ) remains silent due to one or other reasons while many women take advantage of this rule every now and then to harass males just like dowry and domestic violence cases against the husbands.

Yes, one incident at Convergys BPO, Gurgaon, remained me silent.I just moved in flow and ignored it as a very common misbehave like outside the office. Also, there was no status for me to be highlighted because of such incident as I am cultured to be responsible on my own which infact was true as there was no supportive comment from my family end as well. So, why to disharmonize everywhere I go. Adding, there was no physical harassment. Only, my roaring voice was there to succumb such person though I was ignited to the limit of laws.

neel6318
August 21st, 2017, 02:17 PM
Again, another incident was reported to HR personally at BPO- EXL, Noida, pertaining to my supervisor. Everybody in the team was aware of it but none of the lady took it seriously as many of them aren't sure about harassment acts verbally or by bodily gestures. Even the trainer use to make fun of it after the meeting.

rekhasmriti
August 26th, 2017, 11:38 PM
It would be highly inappropriate to comment .

Now POSH is Super Mandate across .

During my Sessions I focus on " Self Awareness " .

Law is quite strong .....if employer has not dealt with any case approrpiately .

Even they would be Penalized . And there are many such instances .

neel6318
August 27th, 2017, 01:05 PM
It would be highly inappropriate to comment .

Now POSH is Super Mandate across .

Yes! POSH is there.

rekhasmriti
August 28th, 2017, 10:59 PM
If POSH is there.....then all Rules and Scenarios should be clear.

neel6318
August 29th, 2017, 01:47 PM
If POSH is there.....then all Rules and Scenarios should be clear.

Yes, in my scenario it was implied and being asked to go through certain procedure and that was only one chance given to person at Convergys and the same was for me to adhere, however in case of EXL supervisor....he manipulated it in manner that I disrespected him by putting any such blame but I also bend him down to accept it with the help of HR Sr. Executive. But because a mistake was also at my end that I lose my temper after ignoring many times and burst out in anger the way they spoke to me. That is why, Floor manager, Process manager, AVP who all are closely knitted took a stand, not to allow me entry to continue in their presence. When the HR based at different locations failed to address me any fruitful way, then I accepted my resignation just to support HR in their decision but without their knowledge, I dropped personal email to CEO of all EXL centres, working from US location.

These people have to take out time for business decisions at mass, so I realised that mine is concern that might have landed to Spam folder. After getting this information, even HR people chased me via phone and connected me again just to take this concern on serious platform. Also, due to personal contacts with colleagues was also a headache for floor managers and AVP. So, rather than troubling them I stopped for a while to mingle with them.

And for me it was not a single concern that was put as notice to HR but it comprises of very simple but problematic behave of our supervisor and process manager and other disrespectful behave by the floor manager lady. I still have that mail copy forwarded to CEO. But, could not do anything because of no response/feedback. Also, the client for whom we were reporting early was not aware about their such behave as before he visited, it was settled to make me accept resignation. Even though, we have heard him on phone line getting angry on the process manager lady who was trying to be over smart to trouble us as team. Anyways, I am looking for re-hiring at EXL some day if it works fine with those seniors.