PDA

View Full Version : Kalirawan School:Suggestions/Comments invited

ramsarya
August 11th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Dear Friends:
Some members are looking for update on this school, which was under the thread "Need a Principal/Director for a rural school in Hisar Dist., Haryana". Update: Classes are being held in the new school building; 2nd and 3rd floor construction should resume towards the end of this year; instruction medium was changed from Hindi to English from this year. Some teachers were very apprehensive about the medium chage, fearing the loss of their jobs or difficulty of changing their teaching methods. However, after my talk with all the teachers where they were assured of their jobs and help during and after the change, they were satisfied. During the summer vacation, teachers were provided with instructor and computer aids to help them in correcting pronunciation and other teaching methods, which they fully availed and forgo their off-time. Teachers are very enthusiastic and dedicated to learn and teach students in English. Looks like my apprehension of English medium for a rural school was unfounded but I will find out more first hand when I visit in Oct/Nov.
In the mean time I have been looking for and inviting suggestions/comments for the betterment and expansion of the school. In depth and some great suggestions came from our own Dr. Birbal Singh ji, which are attached, as well as my reply. Please go thru these and provide your comments and more suggestions to help us. All suggestions/commets will be appreciated.
Thanks.

ramsarya
August 11th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Friends:
I could not attch my reply to Dr. Birbal Singh's suggestions in the previous posting, so here it is. Thanks for the patience.

ramsarya
August 11th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Another try.

ajmer
August 11th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Arya Ji,

I completely agree with Dr. Singh on all the points especially the one about the diversity of students. Recently, I posted an analysis about a long-term approach on initial career break which some people thought was a total waste of time. Maybe it was total waste of time. But one of the factor I talked about which plays an important role is where a person is living/studing (city). Now the most important thing a metro city provides is diversity of students. Students from different classes (rich and poor), with different background. So, a metro city inherently provides a very broad social environment which in turn provides an opportunity for the students to compete in such a environment, an opportunity for a good personal growth.

Now if you can bring a city kind of diversity to a village school then you have met that requirement. A living example of such case is BITS, Pilani. Now Pilani is not a metro city (it is not even an average city (as far as I know and I lived in Pilani during 1988-1989). But students from all across India (probably world) come to BITS, Pilani and provide that kind of diversity and an upbeat environment. This makes BITS, Pilani a world-class institution.

So, at some point, to take it to the next level, I think you have to open up the school for students from all over India and for all the classes of students (rich and poor). Yes, poor childern can get the financial help which can very well be subsidised by rich students.

Now this will require a boarding facility and a meanigful scholarship program which provides financial help to needy students.

You can still keep a quota (for example 50%) for your village children.

BTW, I'll be in India in Nov-Dec and will certainly visit the school.

Thanks.

-ajmer

ramsarya
August 16th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Dear Ajmer: Thanks for the suggestions and thanks for the promise to visit the school in Nov-Dec on your next visit to India. I will let you know the dates I am going to be there and if possible we might see each other in Kalirawan.
If you think of any other ideas, please let me know.

mkm_jat
August 17th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Namstay sir

I'm very glad to know that u've started a school in rural area to promote the level of education in the rural area.This subject is more important for me being a resitant of Phephana ,a village about 100km far from Kalirawan.

I think there should be a special course develope the skills of rural students . they have knowlegde but in dont know how to utilize it .
And when next time I'll visit to my village I'll definitely visit to the school and share my experience during visit the school and also the suggestions about it .

Thanx

raj2rif
September 7th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Dear Arya Ji,

The suggestions given by Dr. Birbal Singh Ji are extremely good. At this time I have only one thing to add and that is importance of physical education and sports. This should be made part of the school syllabus/activities. Usually, among schools in India this aspect is always left out. One of the reason is availability of space in Cities. The school being in rural area I guess, space may not be a very limiting factor for this.

ramsarya
September 12th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Dear Manoj and Col. Tavathia: Thanks for the input. Suggestions will be seriously discussed with the staff and Principal at the Nov meeting in Kalirawan when Dr Birbal Singh ji is visiting and Santosh and I will be there too. Some jatland members have sent their suggestions directly to me instead of posting it here and I am thankful to those people as well.

sonalisingh
September 19th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Hello Arya Ji:

I am sure you've got a lot of suggestions from a lot many people. There are a lot of very accomplished people here, with some in the educational field as well. So I am sure you've already got some very valuable and practically implementable feedback.

The educational experience has been very dear to my heart, so I'd like to give some of my feedback here as well, if I may. Perhaps some of what I say might be difficult to translate into action items, but I think these are important things to ponder over.

There are two important aspects to learning:

o The acquistion of knowledge as well as the skill set usually associated with such knowledge (skills related to expression (written and verbal), skills of analysis and deduction ... and so on). This is the most important and ultimate goal of education.

o The second aspect is the recognition of the
successful acquisition of the aforementioned
knowledge and skills. This means rewarding of degrees and certificates that attest that an individual meets acceptable standards...and to what level such standards are met. Of course, this is done through examinations.

In addition to the above there are the other well
understood aspects such as: physical fitness,
vocational guidance, social/moral/ethical guidance and such other aspects that lead to a productive and prosperous life. I'll not attempt to discuss these.

Now, the issue with the two aspects highlighted
above is that the latter (examinations) affects
the former (mode and method of acquisition of
knowledge).And that I feel is the biggest hurdle
in developing a truly effective and versatile
approach to education. What knowledge is tested and how the knowledge is tested in examinations directly affects what knowledge is acquired and how it is acquired.

Let me briefly discuss some approaches to study
different subjects to illustrate what I am saying:

Science in High School
-----------------------

Imagine a chemistry class in session in UK
(for instance). There are about 20 students in
class. They walk in and sit at their desks.
It is a Chemistry lab. That is THE classroom.
In front of them the materials for the class
are already layed out (the flasks, bunsen burners, tubes, the chemicals). Everything set to go.

There is one piece of paper that outlines steps
to perform in the experiment.

Then there is a sheet of paper that has blank lines for observations, deductions and so on.

Teacher comes in, gives a quick overview of what is do be done and some things to focus on and think about, maybe some informal discussion of some required concepts. There are no definitions, no regurgitated
facts at all.

The students perform the experiment, and note their observations, make their own deductions/conclusions and fill all that in and hand this in.

Then in the last 20-30 minutes of class, the class is opened up to open discussion. The teacher searchingly interrogates/questions the students. With each response he/she comes up with more questions, all the while steadily directly them to DISCOVER the
answers.

A quick summary at the end of class to summarize important points, maybe point out some formulas, problems to look at when at home, things to read at home for the next class and so on.

End of class. No heavy books to carry. A single
folder (one used for all classes, that has take
out paper sheets that can later be organized
classwise at home).

Imagine this for Physics, Chemistry, Biology.
The whole year. Same routine.

And compare this with what you'd find in an
Indian school. We are all aware of that and
can make the comparisons ourselves.

English Class
----------------------

How would the Brits teach English ?

Imagine a method where there is very little
of explicit teaching of grammer rules, and
almost nil testing of such rules.

Bulk of student time goes into reading
novels/dramas/plays, play acting some of the
material, openly and freely discussing the material in a very free and informal environment. The class is completely open to critique and bulk of class time goes into discussing...perhaps quoting relevant paragraphs from the material read.

This is further enhanced by watching dramas/movies that are based on the material.

Now let us come to the exams. The exams have no mention of any material that you have read. They are full of generic questions, that require the student to take a stand, and then support it based on material read during the year.

A sample question might be as follows:

"It is often said that the true character of
a human being comes out in times of extreme
adversity.

Discuss this statement using two novels/plays/
poems that you have read. Please use quotations to illustrate your views."

Again, compare this with how you may have studied a language in an Indian school, and how you were tested.

Of course, supplement this with reading comprehension, short essay writing, story writing, poems (i.e all forms of creative writing)...and you have one solid method of teaching a language.

----------------------

I can go on here. But I think I have illustrated
what I am trying to get at. Basically the
emphasis is on:

o Discovering rather than being force fed.
o Written and verbal expression.
o Use of own words and language to express
concepts and ideas...even definitions.
regurgitating directly from texts (yes, even
when it comes to definitions) is a big NO NO !
o Very little emphasis on texts especially in the
classroom. Basically, read on your own time.
In class...lets, talk, ask, discover !
o Exams that are based more on analysis/deductions, rather memorised facts.

Well this post is getting too long....let me try
to wrap up.

The methods described are a great way to learn, as long as the methods to test the knowledge are in accordance with the style of learning. And here is the catch !

An Indian school that comes under the Haryana
education or CBSE has to taylor it teaching
methods and content according to how the students will get tested (8, 10, 12th grades are very relevant here).

So it becomes difficult to implement novel and
more effective strategies of learning that
have proved very effective in other countries.
One approach is to try to have the school under
some foreign board...like they do for international schools (IB, G.C.E 'O'/'A' levels and so on).

In one closing, the two most important skills
according to my experience are:

1. Language skills (written and oral).
2. Mathematical/Analytical skills.

Any education system must seek to develop
these in the students at the cost of all else.
Domain specific/subject specific are secondary
and can easily be picked up one these two are
well developed.

ramsarya
September 21st, 2004, 05:51 AM
Dear Sonali:
Thanks for taking time to provide suggestions. Your ideas are excellent, however, I do not consider myself a pioneer but merely trying to provide a decent and inexpensive education to rural kids. I wish I could start a school envisioned by you but at present have to keep the system within the existing norms. If this institution reaches a University level (which might not be a too far fetched idea), then it might be possible to change the system.
There are lots of jatland members who have gone thru this kind of rural education and have become very productive members of the society and have achieved good/great success. With inputs from us members and professionals, I hope to make this institution one of the best. I had started this thread as a request for recommending a Principal/Director for the school. I did get the Principal on my last trip but school still needs a director. Please keep giving your suggestions and if you are in the area, take some time out for visiting the school.
Thanks.

ranjitjat
September 27th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Dear Ram Sarup Arya ji.
Namaskar.
This is good news
that school is progressing well. You got the principal of your choice this year.
You must have lots of suggestions and ideas by now. I have tried to contact you by phone and mail .
If you need further advice /help.
Please contact Brig. OP Chaudhry ex vc and president of Haryana board of Education Bhiwani.
2 Dr Bhim Singh Dahiya ex- VC KU. Kurksheatra.
I will visit the school next year. Whatever you and Dr Birbal Singh ji will decide this year. I will follow on and give you suggestions on site next year.
I hope we can meet this time in London othewise open invitation will carry on.
best of luck and have nice holidays.
Warm regards
Dharmpal

dineshm
October 6th, 2004, 12:03 PM
This is a very good thing that so many great works r being done for our development.
my dad as well runs a school in Rajasthan where students are mostly sons of soldiers serving and retired, this time when I go home I am planning to strengthen school on sports ground as well, I have already thought of a basketball court & if possible a big ground for common sports.
thanks for the infos, I try to read atleast your postings Dharampal Tauji though I am not able to reply them all, & I can get on net only when my ship comes to some port so sorry on that part.
brgds
Dinesh

jagmohan
November 22nd, 2004, 04:10 PM
Dear All,

I became aware of the Kalirawan School when I became a member of JATLAND in Mar 2003. I was keen to know more about this institution and therefore got in touch with Mr Ram Arya Ji through private mail and exchanged notes with him about the school. Luckily I could also meet him in Feb 2004 in Mumbai and know in greater detail about the institution that he intends to establish and nurture. I had promised to visit the school and like most 'Fauji's' did keep my word and visited the school on 13-14 Nov 2004. My wife, a teacher by profession, also accompanied me on this most satisfying trip. Before I get involved with various important issues about the school, I must put on record the warm hospitality extended to us by the Arya family in general and Mr & Mrs Ram Arya in particular. The over eating indulged in so soon after Diwali was excusable in the company of wonderful people.

I was also lucky to meet Dr Birbal Singh who came all the way from Canada. He needs no introduction. A truly wonderful person, so down to earth and a doer. Mr Davender Singh Jhajjaria (First Indian Para Olympic Gold Medal Winner in an Individual Event at Athens 2004) had also come to motivate the children as also convey his gratitude to Mr Ram Arya Ji for the support that he had received. What a wonderful experience it was to touch an Olympic Gold Medal. Ms Latika Singh, a member, had come from Delhi to see the institution and donate books for the library. What a wonderful gesture!

The school is under construction and one has to see it personally to visualize its relevance to the ‘Community’ once it is completed. I have no doubt in my mind that this institution will achieve its aims under the guidance of Mr & Mrs Arya Ji and other committed people I had a chance to meet and interact with. Once the villagers are convinced that the aim of the institution is what it is, they should become genuinely more positive in their approach. In his speech Mr Arya took great pains to explain to them that he is not seeking any personal glory in establishing this institution but his only AIM was to provide quality education to rural kids.

The staff and students celebrated ‘Children’s Day’ and put up a variety entertainment program, the quality of which was way Above Average. Annual Prize Distribution function was also held. The hard work put up by the Teachers, Parents and Children was evident in the quality and the enthusiasm with which events were presented. I was happy to see the ‘Girl Child’. The girls won two-third of all prizes, a very positive sign indeed. The parents had taken great pains to ready the childern for the function. The fancy dresses the children wore could give any public school a run for their money. The skit put up by the children had everyone in splits. All this would not have been possible had it not been for the ‘Will To Do’ on the part of all involved. And as along as this WILL remains, nothing can stop these children from achieving their dreams.

We also had an opportunity to interact with the principal and the Management Committee. They were kind enough to take out time from their busy schedule and listen to our humble suggestions patiently and on varied issues that we felt were important for a strong foundation of the institution.

I am going to continue to visit this institution. If I could motivate even one child to realize his dreams, it would be more than worth it. I have no doubt that this school will become a beacon of hope for thousands of rural children. The least we can do is to visit the school whenever we possibly can. Reaching the school is easy and one gets to drive through the ‘Real JATLAND’. The roads are as good as anywhere in India. It took me just over five hours to drive from Kalirawan to Meerut via Agroha - Hissar – Rohtak – Sonepat – Baghpat.

This institution is going to blossom into a great learning institution that can and will make a difference in the lives of individuals and families. I am aware that many JATS and JATNIS are eager to help in whatever way they can.

With warmest regards,

JS Malik

bnashier
November 22nd, 2004, 06:07 PM
Bhai Jagmohan:

Thanks for sharing your experience of visiting the school. It is a commendable project and it will achieve its target. Perseverance and focused vision of dedicated people always bear fruit.

Budh

mkm_jat
January 5th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I spent 31st dec night in kalirawan village but could not visit the institute due some reason. I talked their my relatives about the institute. Some of them claiming that school is good but charges are incresing steadily. Though there are some schemes for poor children but these are not sufficient for them so I reuest to R.S.ARYA sir to consult about this with the administration of the school.
Thanks to Jagmohan Uncle sharing such a good expereince with us.

singhkapoor
January 5th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Dear Manoj

The school is a "Not-For-Profit" entity with NOMINAL (yes, literally nominal) tuition costs It's almost free.

Manoj, nothing personal here - but sometimes peoples' comments don’t seem to be based on verified information or personal knowledge. We all know the "mahaul" in a typical village - rumors spread like wildfire and people take hearsay on the face value.....after all grapevine is one of the main source of entertainment. Sometimes such allegations originate from disgruntled people; so, please take such information with a grain of salt.

Best Wishes

I spent 31st dec night in kalirawan village but could not visit the institute due some reason. I talked their my relatives about the institute. Some of them claiming that school is good but charges are incresing steadily. Though there are some schemes for poor children but these are not sufficient for them so I reuest to R.S.ARYA sir to consult about this with the administration of the school.
Thanks to Jagmohan Uncle sharing such a good expereince with us.