PDA

View Full Version : Jat interface to influence quality of Governance in jat lands

amitdahiya
January 13th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Kaum kay sardaron ko salaam, baday buzurgo ko pranam aur sabhi jat bhai behnon ko ram ram. Hi there people! Feels wonderful to find our own little acre in the virtual world. I believe that this simple act of being connected with each other can result in enough communication energy to cause good and useful change in the thought processes of our political leaders.

Why don't we take a small step beyond the chit chat to also brainstorm simple issues and then deliver the gist of our thinking, to a small mailing list of influential members of the community, at various levels and in different areas of society and the government.I know this sounds simplistic but the truth is that complex problems demand simple solutions. Don't laugh now but we could call this jat think tank JATFORCE and I would be happy to make the time and energy available to making it happen. Jatland.com can be the funnel for our collective thought energies, experiences and interest in our clans. JATFORCE could be the working title of the think tank until some one comes up with a better name meanwhile we could identify a few simple projects to brainstorm ( one topic per fortnight). Your comments please. Good wishes and regards to you wherever you are on this busy but lonely planet. Amit Dahiya, Village Kakroi, District Sonepat haryana.

rsdalal
January 13th, 2002, 09:34 PM
Ram, Ram, Bhai Amit,
Welcome to the jatland.
This acre of land in virtual world is not very fertile right now(As it is mainly limited to chat-chat and jokes only) I agree with you very much, we should take this beyond chit-chat, and for that we need more active members. And who ever active members we have, should be assigned to some more specific roles(I volunteer myself). Admins as well need to play little bit more active role(I have seen some questions directed to Admins and for weeks unanswered, Admins I hope you will not take this personaly, If you are busy we can assign some of your work to others etc etc)
Now question is what kind of roles we can define, Here are few I can think of and people can add more
-- One who is responsible to find latest news related to jats and bring them to this site.
-- One who can watch for political issues, related to jats, bring news regarding leading jat leaders it will make us more vigilent about our political leader, who is doing what how it is affecting jats etc.
-- One who is responsible for new opportunities in different fields, how to achieve them(Software, education etc, need to be defined more preciesly)

Please add more to this list and we can categorize in a better way.

Bhai Amit ek bat orr, Bhai yo Dahiya Got to suna hua tha per, bhai DahiyaBadshah kuch naya sa laga (Just kidding).

Welcome to the jathomeland again and let us put some more effort to make it more active.

shokeen123
January 13th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Hello Amit:

Welcome to the Jatland. This is the kind of response I was hoping for, from our youth! Apart from what we can accomplish on this site (we have just begun...), we need to connect to the local community leaders, who ultimately form and influence policies. It will be helpful if some local youth leaders such as yourself, can take our message to them, because it's one thing to post a message, but implementing it needs leg work. I think we can begin work on the following:

Prepare a list of selected Jat Govt. representatives, including their email addresses and post on this site;

Prepare a list of local coordinators (who are truly committed to helping) with contact information and post on this site;

Prepare a list of overseas coordinators with contact information and post on this site; (I know there are quite a few in the US, UK, Australia, and in the Middle-East, dying to work on this).

Report monthly/quarterly progress on this site, with VERY specific details (met with AED staff, or local MLA-specify the goal directed outcome, e.g. ".......district in Haryana has been identified as a target for implementation);

The local and overseas coordinators should interface with the resources/agencies listed below:

Connect with Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) that focus on education, such as Agency for Educational Development (AED), UNICEF, CARE, UNFPA, or any other, because they are all familiar with the health and education indicators and have similar target.

Connect with the UNDP representative(s):

Education has been recognized as one of the cornerstones of the edifice of development in India's development goals and strategies articulated in successive Five-Year-Plans since 1951. The Ninth plan focuses on marginalized sections, including the girl child and out of school children belonging to different disadvantaged groups.

Also look into the UN System Support for the Community-based Primary Education (SCOPE), which functions as a collaborative support, to on-going educational efforts undertaken by the Govt. of India.

One of the key objectives of the five-year plan (1998-2002) is strengthening community-based mechanism for school management and support. This will involve, in particular:

Establishing Village Education Committees (VECs) training them and other Community-Based Organizations (CBOs):

in micro-planning exercise,
conducting school mapping,
community-level monitoring system for enumerating all eligible children (both in and out of school)
attendance of marginalized children (especially girls) and establishing purposeful interaction between VECs and Zila Parishads, Blocks, and Gram Panchayats.

I know this alphabet word soup sounds overwhelming, but every significant accomplishment starts at micro level. Unfortunately I am not based in Delhi, and don't travel to India so often. However, I promise writing letters of petition, especially to our selected representatives once we begin the process.

If we can bring the "rural villages" to the "main stream" through this process, we will have achieved not only highlighting the importance of education but being part of it.

You can begin by contacting the UNDP local office in New Delhi. I have a strong feeling that the members of Jatland community, at home and abroad, will be willing to contribute to funds/ and or activities, once there is a specific plan in place. It will be particularly helpful, if we dedicate the funds directly to a local, needy school (identified through the UNDP/Five-Year-Plan).

In my view, the Jat uplift can not be achieved single-handedly by the Jat community alone, we will have to "tag along" with some existing plan that has been streamlined in that direction. Working with UNDP or such other agency will serve this purpose.

Of course it goes without saying that our Jat brethern (brothers and sisters) will make a note of this and support the activities, add ideas to materialize the actions.

Good luck!

Shashi

rajeshsindhu
January 14th, 2002, 01:18 AM
so nice to read that community folks are trying to hit the nail on its head. This is the best start in terms of ground works plannings. To add some more on it:

1. In terms of basic educational infrastructure in rural areas, i think every village has a functioning school( at least i'm sure about haryana villages. every village has a school; 90% of them upto High school). But they are not delivering the intended education.
So the nail to hit on is: how can we make them deliver quality education.

2. In terms of awareness: In last decade people in villages do have understood the importance of education. But they do not have any source of guidance, someone who can lead them in micro activities. They do send their kids to village schools, but because of 1. above parents are disappointed and frustrated not to see any worthwhile results. this further discourages other parents in the village. Some students who make through the village school are lost when they have to go to city for higher education( because of lack of able guardian). Parents in the villages are ready to borrow money for their children's education provided they are assured of the returns.

3. Some of the leads provided by Shashi can be good to start with. We can use their resources to reach out to villages( as none of them have any noticable reach to Jat villages).

4. Jat Mahasabha : We can explore what Jat Mahasabha has ( at least on papars) in its plate regarding this. I'm sure thay must be having lots of resources which can be used to further this cause in villages. Also thay have better reach to villages. We can find out other Jat organisations ( like 'Jat Sanstha' in Haryana) through which we can work. The sad part is that most of them are politicised a lot.

-Rajesh Sindhu

shokeen123
January 14th, 2002, 02:28 AM
Dear Rajesh et al:

I am using parts of your qoute to add more information.

This is the best start in terms of ground works plannings. To add some more on it:

1. In terms of basic educational infrastructure in rural areas, I think every village has a functioning school (at least I'm sure about haryana villages. every village has a school; 90% of them upto High school). But they are not delivering the intended education. So the nail to hit on is: how can we make them deliver quality education.

***There are specifications within the five-year plan to address these issues. One of the objectives being: "An improved assessment system for monitoring and evaluating children's performance in Grades 1-8." However, we need to first tap into these available resources, and be part of the overall program.

2. In terms of awareness: In last decade people in villages do have understanding about the importance of education. But they do not have any source of guidance, someone who can lead them in micro activities. They do send their kids to village schools, but because of 1. above parents are disappointed and frustrated not to see any worthwhile results. this further discourages other parents in the village. Some students who make through the village school are lost when they have to go to city for higher education( because of lack of able guardian). Parents in the villages are ready to borrow money for their children's education provided they are assured of the returns.

***Let's not underestimate the role of NGOs. They are some what of a proxy govt. instititutions that function independently with foreign funding (charitable organizations), and traditionally don't have go through the host govt. red tape, yet, can influence decisions of the host govt. In that, they have the flexibility to approach the host govt's high ranking officials by presenting their own research statistics and plans. That's why there are so many international public health agencies (such as USAID, JSI, BASICS), and certain pharmaceutical corporations that have offices throughout South-East Asia. What you have described is exactly the type of needs assessment they need to present and influence the politicians of the host govt.

Jat Mahasabha : We can explore what Jat Mahasabha has (at least on papars) in its plate regarding this. I'm sure they must be having lots of resources which can be used to further this cause in villages. Also they have better reach to villages. We can find out other Jat organizations (like 'Jat Sanstha' in Haryana) through which we can work. The sad part is that most of them are politicised a lot.

***This is where we need to get our elected Jat officials involved. Our Jat brothers based in Delhi/Haryana should be able to help us with this.

Shashi

PS: You are right, indeed it is encouraging to see the enthusiasm.

scsheorayan
January 14th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Very Good and encouraging indeed. Now We have a good plan and plenty of resources to put it into action. Whatever We don't have We can always borrow from others.

Is it true ?

amitdahiya
January 16th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Bhai Ranvir my ancestor commanded a force of cavalry with Raja Surajmal. The badshah was added as a battle honour for the fearsome engagement which resulted in the fall of Delhi . Since that time all Dahiya jats are also referred to as Dahyabadshah in refernce to that feat of arms. I regret that in the absence of a written script much of our oral history is in the process of dying out. The tragedy is that the greater part of our history is oral and so we are in great danger of either being misunderstood or not understood at all.
Your postscript also interests me " 6 jat regiment". r u connected with the jat regt in any way if so could you facilitate my contact with the regt I wish to do some work on the history of the regt. Regards, good wishes Amit dahiya.

amitdahiya
January 16th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Dear Shahshi. I couldnt agree with you more. To render our efforts useful and measurable I suggest that we focus on a few ridiculously simple programmes. For instance to highlight our interest in relevant education and its quality at the primary school level, perhaps we could suggest that the Govt of Haryana order Green coloured boards instead of black boards because at a subtle, subliminal level it reflects the true aspiration of a relevant education programme and system in Haryana and throughout the Jat lands. Once that is done let us focus on the stuff that will go onto these green bords. To begin with let us focus only at the primary level upto the middle school i.e the 8th standard. It is my belief that the educational battle for the minds of the future citizen is won or lost by that stage. Your other suggestions are excellent and I am in the process of setting up a simple team effort to follow up. Regards and best wishes Amitdahiya

rsdalal
January 17th, 2002, 02:04 AM
Bhai Amit,
YOU ARE RIGHT. JAT history is note well documented(Or I should say not documneted at all) and it deserves some effort from our side. I was even surprised to find that There are JATS in ?Ukraine and Russia as well. (I did not know this at all)
Any way back to the point about JAT Regiment, Bhai I am not connected in anyway, Just because of my interest in JAT history I Used this. In fact there is an error in it is, it is JAT Regiment 9, not 6, I will change it.
Bhai Bhot Dhanyawad for the history of DahiyaBadsha, I did not know, it is really good.

amitdahiya
January 25th, 2002, 11:27 AM
"bhai Amit, I cannot tell you how much it means to me to read your ideas about development . You are obviously a person who is clear headed and focussed. We would like to iknow more about you and meet you if possible. are you the same person who was heading a international training programme in organic farming a few years ago in south India. Let me tell you that your ideas for small farmers are whatthe community, the state and even the nation need desperately . why not you come forward at the politcal level, we need leaders lioke you. pl send your details at this site or post your phone number and address to enable us to meet. With all the best wishes
Surender Dhankad and members of Dhankad got"

Bhai Surender. Thank you for your well intentioned words but I do believe that we need to discourage indivdual promotion to achieve a teamworking ability and culture. Incidentally this machine is left open for fellow jats like you who visit our place to browse the Jatland.com site at your convenience. pl do lets dispense with personal promotions throught his site.Instead lets promote common and mutual interests.
Yours affectionately
Amitdahiya

devdahiya
January 21st, 2005, 12:29 PM
BHAI AMIT,

Very many practical inputs are already put forward by SUJATA JI.BUT AGAIN this thread went up to sleep in a corner and after a span of two years.....MEIN GHUMTA-GHAMTA CHLYA GYA AR MNE HATH_PAHHN JODD KE JAGAYA BHAI.BHAI IBB MAT SONN DYO ISSNE...........AAGGE_2 HOLE DAHIYA BADHSYAA.........ARR DEKH PHER LOG KYUKKAR JUDDTE HAIN.TAKLEEF BHARI HONGEE PAR BHAI MARADD AADMEE TE BANYA-E TAKLEEF THHANN TAHIN SE...........AALL THE BEST BHAI..............GOD SPEED!

dahiyars
January 21st, 2005, 02:06 PM
Social Reform Movement in the Haryana Villages

Very good idea that something concrete should be done at village level. This needs a common minimum perspective.
How we can do this without understanding the every aspect of village community of Haryana and changes in the last 10-15 years?
The riders in the process of social change have to be understood in theoretical frame –work as well as at the level of execution in practice.
I donot know whether I should write it or not but how all this can be thaught of only in one cast frame work. ?
Do we want to make aware the jat community only or the whole of the village?
Is it possible to think of social reform of a village without involving all the vollagers ?
If we insist social reform within the caste then we should bring in discussion of social reform movements within caste in past so that we can learn from them.
Dr.R.S.Dahiya