PDA

View Full Version : What is the KYOTO TREATY????????????????

ranjitjat
September 5th, 2002, 04:18 PM
The 1997 Kyoto Treaty bound the world,s worst pulluters-include the US and Britain-to tackle global warming.
Countries agreed to reduce greenhouse gases below 1990 levels by 2012.

YOUR VIEW PLEASE>

devdahiya
January 23rd, 2005, 10:00 PM
My dear Dharampal ji,

You brought out a very important issue in focus but it is a said commentry that not a single Jatland member could say a few words about it. Frankly,I myself do not know much about it but whatever i know and has been able to collect from various sources,i would like to share out here. some of its impact are as follows :

Rising global temperatures are expected to raise sea level, and change precipitation and other local climate conditions. Changing regional climate could alter forests, crop yields, and water supplies. It could also affect human health, animals, and many types of ecosystems. Deserts may expand into existing rangelands, and features of some of our National Parks may be permanently altered.

Most of the United States is expected to warm, although sulfates may limit warming in some areas. Scientists currently are unable to determine which parts of the United States will become wetter or drier, but there is likely to be an overall trend toward increased precipitation and evaporation, more intense rainstorms, and drier soils.

Unfortunately, many of the potentially most important impacts depend upon whether rainfall increases or decreases, which can not be reliably projected for specific areas.

PS:FORGET ABOUT USA,UK AND JAPAN etc, as they will be able to control the emmition levels but real worry will be the third world countries,where feeding people properly in itself is a big problem. The issue in focus thus will not be addressed at all. kind of desired levels agreed to be met at KYOTO.. are by no means acheivable.........as they meet,talk and go....only to meet again and repeat the past performance. However dangers are real and something needs to be done with a sense of urgency.

raj2rif
January 24th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Global warming and pollution control are universal problem. While, the world is working on it, I don't think a normal person really understand the gravity of problem and the effort he/she can make to address it.

I have had the opportunity of visiting rural areas as well as big cities of both US and India. What I have noticed is that in big cities even though garbage bins are located all over, peopel still throw trash all over the places. The same is not the case in rural US, it is that much cleaner.

In India also, I remember, it was difficult to drive past on a road in Morar, right next to the cantt limits, with all the garbage scatterred there. While controling the emission from the vehicles may not be in control of a normal citizen, but keeping the surroundings clean is definitely possible. I guess, an awareness needs to be made about this aspect among the majority of population. Plantation of trees in areas where ever it is possible must be done. I have seen the army units planting a whole lots of trees every year, with extremely poor survival rates, mainly because of the fact that our civilian friends, found it good fodder for their animals and army found it difficult to fence every plantation.

The solution lies in educating people and making them understand the difference their little contribution can make to the world.

lrburdak
January 24th, 2005, 08:21 PM
The Kyoto Protocol is an amendment to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), an international treaty on global warming. It also reaffirms sections of the UNFCCC. Countries which ratify this protocol commit to reduce their emissions of carbon dioxide and five other greenhouse gases, or engage in emissions trading if they maintain or increase emissions of these gases, which have been linked to global warming.

The formal name of the proposed agreement, which reaffirms sections of the UNFCCC, is the Kyoto Protocol to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. [1] (http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1997/global.warming/stories/treaty/) It was negotiated in Kyoto, Japan in December 1997, opened for signature on March 16, 1998, and closed on March 15, 1999. The agreement will come into force on February 16, 2005 following its official ratification by Russia on November 18, 2004.