PDA

View Full Version : "I think therefore i am"-Descarte.

urmiladuhan
October 12th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Descarte may have his own reasoning to reach this conclusion... but what does it mean to

us readers if we allow it to stand in isolaton, bereft of any of Descarte's supportive arguments?

My conclusion is: Only a thinkers life is worth living.

What do you have to say?

ndahiya
October 13th, 2002, 05:58 PM
urmila ji

kyon maaro so baalkan nae itni bhaari-bhaari baat kar ke... :)

nitin

saketdhankar
October 13th, 2002, 07:20 PM
kya zamana aa gaya hai ....jatland par descartes/philosophy ki baatein ho rahi hain...surely times are changing...lagta hai dilli door nahin...

anyway, my interpretation is that.... my thinking mind gives me the sole reason to exist...otherwise the world without having the mind ,i.e, the fantasies and the dreams, is a dull place to live in...

saket (in a descartes' uncertain dream world)

urmiladuhan
October 14th, 2002, 02:20 AM
Nitin Dahiya (Oct 13, 2002 08:28 a.m.):

urmila ji

kyon maaro so baalkan nae itni bhaari-bhaari baat kar ke... :)

nitin

eeb jatland pae balak na rae rae... pehlan hongae!

urmiladuhan
October 14th, 2002, 02:45 AM
Saket Dhankar (Oct 13, 2002 09:50 a.m.):

kya zamana aa gaya hai ....jatland par descartes/philosophy ki baatein ho rahi hain...surely times are changing...lagta hai dilli door nahin...

anyway, my interpretation is that.... my thinking mind gives me the sole reason to exist...otherwise the world without having the mind ,i.e, the fantasies and the dreams, is a dull place to live in...

saket (in a descartes' uncertain dream world)

This quote was interesting to me because its meaning changes from thinker to thinker...

correct me if i am wrong... when Decarte was

attempting to verbalise reality, he came to the conclusion that anything that is real (in tangible terms) should be percieved by senses

. And the only way i can know what it is that i am percieving through the senses, my mind should be able to process the external information. Therefore he came to the conclusion that the only way i know about existence is only if i can think...

This conclusion is so different from the one many of us make! Interesting? hmm...

rajeshsindhu
October 14th, 2002, 04:17 AM
Urmila Ji and other!
Existence is "infinite" , but mind has 'limited' reach.

Can anyone perceive "Infinite" through mind?? No. Mind cannot go upto infinite. Try it yourself!

So infinity, the essense of human nature, can be perceived only through 'heart' which goes beyond the bounds of logic and intellectuality(limitations of mind) upto the realisation of infinite/truth.

-Rajesh

urmiladuhan
October 14th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Rajesh Sindhu (Oct 13, 2002 06:47 p.m.):

Urmila Ji and other!

Existence is "infinite" , but mind has 'limited' reach.

Can anyone perceive "Infinite" through mind??

**=> hypothetically, yes. But the defination of infinity will then vary with the observer i.e., it won't be reproducible! In that case

the concept of infinity becomes faith based (i.e., religious) and not scientific. This in turn will give us more than 1 infinity! Now is that possible? I don't know. What do you have to say to this <=**

No. Mind cannot go upto infinite. Try it yourself!

So infinity, the essense of human nature, can be perceived only through 'heart' which goes beyond the bounds of logic and intellectuality(limitations of mind) upto the realisation of infinite/truth.

-Rajesh

rajeshsindhu
October 14th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Can anyone perceive "Infinite" through mind??

**=> hypothetically, yes. But the defination of infinity will then vary with the observer i.e., it won't be reproducible! In that case

the concept of infinity becomes faith based (i.e., religious) and not scientific. This in turn will give us more than 1 infinity! Now is that possible? I don't know. What do you have to say to this <=**

== "more than 1 infinity!" ???
The words "more than 1" implies 'end' of one thing and 'start' of another; and anything with 'start' and 'end' can not be infinite. That much we can understand on mental plane itself!