PDA

View Full Version : jat girls in 1881 and2002 are same ?

rajendersingh
November 23rd, 2002, 05:55 PM
here is a acount about girls status among jats in the year1881.major A.F.P. HARCOURT WHO WAS D.C. ROHTAK IN THE YEAR 1881TO1882 HAS TO SAY ABOUT GIRLS AT THAT PERIOD.HE WRITES IN THE ROHTAK GAZETTEER.
''infanticide is by no means a vice of this district the majorityof females might lead one to suspect that female childern do not always get fair play, but my own belief is that it is the statistcs that are wrong,and that the total number of the females may not always have been fairly counted.in this district as a rule all work in the fields. it is true that females childern are not so well cared for and nourished as are the boys and that if a boy and his sister were ill ,nearlly all the attention in the house would be given to the boy,but the girls are not unkindly treated. they stand next in importance to,and at no great distance from the boys, and if the same amount of affection is not lavished on them as on their brothers,they yet are not neglected or treated unkindly''

dkumar
November 23rd, 2002, 06:58 PM
so true....when will we jats start doing justice with girls???? though it is a problem widespread among all communities but we need to pull up and become the torch bearer for the good of community as well as society in general.

Thanks Rajender ji for giving food for thought to all of us!

urmiladuhan
November 25th, 2002, 03:37 AM
[quote]Rajender Singh (Nov 23, 2002 07:25 a.m.):
here is a acount about girls status among jats in the year1881.major A.F.P. HARCOURT WHO WAS D.C. ROHTAK IN THE YEAR 1881TO1882 HAS TO SAY ABOUT GIRLS AT THAT PERIOD.HE WRITES IN THE ROHTAK GAZETTEER.
''infanticide is by no means a vice of this district the majorityof females might lead one to suspect that female childern do not always get fair play, but my own belief is that it is the statistcs that are wrong,and that the total number of the females may not always have been fairly counted.in this district as a rule all work in the fields. it is true that females childern are not so well cared for and nourished as are the boys and that if a boy and his sister were ill ,nearlly all the attention in the house would be given to the boy,but the girls are not unkindly treated. they stand next in importance to,and at no great distance from the boys, and if the same amount of affection is not lavished on them as on their brothers,they yet are not neglected or treated unkindly''[/quote

Thankyou for searching and posting extremely relevant records on our communities grave problems. I totally agree that Jat women in villages work very hard i.e., work in the fields as well as bear children and look after the house. In all this intense humdrum where is the time to think about education?? On the other hand, women in cities appear to be treated much more gently. I hope discussion on this topic will continue... i will be back soon.

ashima_singh
November 25th, 2002, 05:40 PM
This is very very true... and such examples of people wanting male child can be seen not far from our homes, even in our kunba, I know some well educated people wanting a male child, though they donot ill treat the girls in the family but just this biased thought of having a male child, isn't this proof enough of their orthodox thoughts. I don't mean that having a male child is bad or anythng.. but shouldn't we pray to god to just have a healthy child of whatever sex, it doesnot matter. I feel that girls should be treated as equals not as an eyewash but in real life, this calls for a change of something deep inside us. Let us not be biased against certain gender or else a dangerous situation of sex ratio is lying ahead.. As was reported in TOI recently, Jats from our villages have to go to MP to buy brides for them.. Lets stop this menace, atleast we can try changing our attitude.. just wearing western clothes and talking in chaste English doesnot make anyone modern, modernism is a thought and is in the way you think..