PDA

View Full Version : household furniture 1883and2002 same?

rajendersingh
November 25th, 2002, 06:57 PM
i am typing from gazetteer of rohtak dist. for yr1883-84prepared by then d.c. rohtak, not even a[,] has been changed what to speak of haryanvi names.

''there will be found in every house a bed for each grownup person, a corn-mill (chakki),the hudge pestle and mortar of wood (ukhal and musal ),a spinning wheel(charkha),and a cotton cleaning machine(charkhi); along the wall are arranged large receptacles for grain,made of mud and called kothi. anumber of cooking vessels(which are of brass if in hindu house,and of tin in muslim house) are scattered about the room,the commonest of which are trays called thalis, parat, tambiya andtash, cooking pots(bhartiya and patili), the handi for preparing rabri and the kadhaoni for boiling milk;there will also be seen lotahs, and cups(katorah) and the iron plates for cooking cakes(tawa) will on the hearth (chula).milk is made into curds in the barola, and into ghee in the balona, or churn.baskets are called khari.the water,which is brought up in brass large vessels, called tokni is kept in the house in other named matka;some is poured into the kund,or large earthen bowls,in the yard for the cattle to drink from''.

next time we shall take another intersting aspect of day to day life

urmiladuhan
November 25th, 2002, 11:18 PM
IT IS A VERY INTERESTING POST... I AM EAGER TO READ YOUR NEXT ADDITION TO THE THREAD.

smalik
November 26th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Solid!!!!
pl keep it up
I am also waiting for your next post

dkumar
November 26th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Rajender Bhai...

Nice thread ...quite interesting and soul searching....keep posting such nice articles!