PDA

View Full Version : Please voice your concern...

urmiladuhan
December 16th, 2002, 11:27 PM
on the existing sex ratio trend in Haryana State, by writing to the government about your deep concern on this serious matter.

We, as educated and politically aware residents of the state should use whatever means we have to make a difference in our community by all means. Below are the addresses of government officials in Haryana to which we all may write:

1. Director

Haryana State Social WElfare Advisory Board

SCO 87-88 Lind Floor

Sector 17D

Chandigarh.

2. Director

Dept. Of Women and Child Development

360-61

Sector 34 A

Chandigarh

3. Director

Social Justice and Empowerment

SCO 66-70 Sector 17A

Chandigarh

I am in the process of sending my letters to the concerened departments. As able citizens, we have a right to ask our elected government as to what it is doing about this grave social problem which can have disastrous implications. Also i believe that doing so will let officials know that ordinary people even though far off from Haryana are closely monitoring their work and they are very concerened- which we are as we have seen that on Jatland many times. This is least we can do, i believe. I think it will be a good idea to post our letters/email content here on Jatland at the same time so as to motivate other members in this extremely important endeavour.

jaatni
December 16th, 2002, 11:46 PM
yup!!!
this really is a subject of great concern.......
n we must really try our level best to help ourselves come out of this situation n avoid any serious complications which may arise of neglect at this stage.
wish everyone can help.....

sanjaychhikara
December 17th, 2002, 12:04 AM
This is more like it!

harvindermalik
December 17th, 2002, 01:04 AM
urmila ji koshish jarur karni chahiye..pr bahut moti khal ke manas sai sarkari offices mai..

aap aur hame to mag. ya site se pata lagta hai en bato ka.... unko to sidha pata hai..phir bhi na kuchh kr rhi sarkar.. letter likhana ar us pai karwai karna..donu padhe likhe ke kam sai..ar sarkar chalan aale ( jugadi mantry) ar sarkar aale( RISHWAT SE LAGE HUE OFFICER) donu anpadh ka tol sai

urmiladuhan
December 17th, 2002, 02:58 AM
Governments everywhere tend to be fat and sloppy creatures like cows and buffaloes. They need to be prodded and yelled at regularly to keep them moving.

On an issue like this we should first convey to the government our concerns through mail even though they may be aware of the problem.

The next step should be to increase the pressure using media such as writing to the news papers etc. Civil righs groups should be formed and as a final recourse the government can be sued in a court of law as a public interest litigation. The rights of the unborn and just born female babies to life are being denied and the government bears the legal responsibility for this outrage. Perhaps the threat of a lawsuit will prod government to act where nothing else might work.

rsdalal
December 17th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Urmila ji,
You have put the definition of govt in very right words. Any start is a good start in this direction.
Good work keep it up.
...Ranvir

Urmila (Dec 16, 2002 04:28 p.m.):
Governments everywhere tend to be fat and sloppy creatures like cows and buffaloes. They need to be prodded and yelled at regularly to keep them moving.

rajendersingh
December 17th, 2002, 08:12 PM
urmilaji,
its a grat start.and i am sure that we all must work in this direction .every one is aware of the problems, lakin suruyat to kahin se hoti hai.aur samadhan nikale me waqat lagata hai. and we should convince other ppl whom we can influence to join this fray.my target is to ensure atleast30 letters in next 30 days, simply one letter a day

urmiladuhan
December 21st, 2002, 01:06 AM
Here is a copy of my letter to the Chief Minister:

Dear Chief Minister,

I am writing this mail in connection with the imbalanced sex ratio prevailing in my state, Haryana (861 girls/1000 boys; 812 girls/1000 boys in 0-6 age group). Upon my research on the issue, I found that the declining trend has been going on for almost a decade now, resulting in the present number. Recently it was in news that parents, especially from the Jat community, are forced to ‘buy’ girls from other states and communities in marriage for their sons as there are not enough girls in Jat community. This is a grave problem, not only because the situation speaks of ill health of the society (in particular Jats) but will have grave consequences in near future such as Jat culture invasion, feeling of security among women, destabilization of traditional Jat family values to name some. It is painful to see that Jat girls are being denied the right to live by selective abortion and negligible infant care. It seems, parents have not being given enough motivation by the government to overcome the traditional bias against a girl child. I cannot stress enough the fact that women are the foundation of a family and the health of a community depends on the family unit. It is imperative that the government strongly encourage girl education and subsequent jobs for girls from farming communities in the state so that parents can see for themselves that having girls is not a burden, as it is widely thought now. Educated men/boys can always rely on farming for a living, but girls cannot be independent farmers given the social constraints. Unless girls from farming communities are given money earning capacity, it will be hard to get rid of bias against girl child. Therefore, in my opinion, government should lure parents for having girl child by creating more jobs exclusively for educated girls from farmer families.

The government may already be working on solution to this grave problem which will be heartening to know. As a domicile individual of the state and a girl belonging to Jat community, I am very curious to know the progress being made in tackling the problem.
Dear Jatland members,

Please do spare some time in supporting the cause by writing to the government of Haryana. More the letters, more are the chances of being heard. Please do not hesitate to copy my letter if you may think my feelings resonate with yours.
the e mail address of chief minister is:
cm@hry.nic.in

ranjitjat
December 21st, 2002, 06:30 PM
Urmila- nice topic Good luck
We all are concern about this problem,
We have face to face discussion with CM haryana during his recent visit to London.
The Chief minister told us that his government is fully aware of this problem. The Indian press is high lighting this problem with new figure daily.
He told us that Haryana government has started a SAWARAN YOJANA SCHEME under this every new born girl child will get RS 500 per month- a cash award until the girl is 18 years old.
This is the answer of all problems according him.
We can write letters to CM -PM Daily. I am doing this over 40 years & will be happy to write few more on this subject.
BUT--but----- This type of pressure only work in western world----- not in India.
They only care about voters- NRI Have no vote. so they not care NRI.
The public in India dare not ?? a CM - PM or MINISTER. They NOT CARE ABOUT PUBLIC OR NRI.
A great mass movement at grass roots level is the answer.
You can wait & see the result of reply.
GOODLUCK

urmiladuhan
December 22nd, 2002, 06:20 AM
Dharmpal Singh Dudee (Dec 21, 2002 08:00 a.m.):

Urmila- nice topic Good luck

We all are concern about this problem,

We have face to face discussion with CM haryana during his recent visit to London.

The Chief minister told us that his government is fully aware of this problem. The Indian press is high lighting this problem with new figure daily.

He told us that Haryana government has started a SAWARAN YOJANA SCHEME under this every new born girl child will get RS 500 per month- a cash award until the girl is 18 years old.

This is the answer of all problems according him.

We can write letters to CM -PM Daily. I am doing this over 40 years & will be happy to write few more on this subject.

BUT--but----- This type of pressure only work in western world----- not in India.

They only care about voters- NRI Have no vote. so they not care NRI.

The public in India dare not ?? a CM - PM or MINISTER. They NOT CARE ABOUT PUBLIC OR NRI.

A great mass movement at grass roots level is the answer.

You can wait & see the result of reply.

GOODLUCK

Dudee jee, thankyou for important information on the problem. Swaran yojna is atleast a step in the direction for tackling the problem. Giving away money to the family (Rs 500/month) for rearing of a girl child is O.K for short term, as it will give immediate reward to the family of a girl child, but will not do anything to change the biased mentality of people, which is the core of the whole problem. Sex ratio is just a manifestation/subroot of the real crux. The day government stops giving money to the family, public will revert to the old behaviour because there will be no incentive - only social/economic problems for them that come with having a girl child.

I can see that Rs. 500/month/girl in the state for 18 years is a lot of monetary investment by the government. To ensure the benefits of this huge investment are not undone at any point in future, government also needs to invest money in emphasising good technical education exclusively for girls and subsequent secure jobs. Parents should not have to bear monetary burden of supporting a girl before, during and after marriage. Such a goal once accomplished will also take care of dowry problem besides giving a sense of self esteem and security-which will be a huge pay off.

urmiladuhan
December 23rd, 2002, 07:45 AM
Dudee jee,
Thankyou for volunteering to write the cover letter for all the letters to be sent to the CM.
I think, it would be necessary only if we have lot of letters.
Mr. Suresh Deswal has been kind enough to give his time in tracing our letters in government offices to ensure they reach right people. Thankyou Deswal jee. If members are planning on sending letters by post, it is highly recommended that it be registered so that they can be traced and also quoted in newspapers etc. at a later time if no response is received- as rightly advised by Suresh.
In the mean time, please show your support to the cause by writing/sending e mail to the government. Also, please write your views here on Jatland and perhaps to the officials on 'Swaran Yojna'- whether it will prove to be an efficient solution given that it is a huge investment of our money.

harvindermalik
December 23rd, 2002, 11:41 AM
aap CM tk letters pahunchana aur confirmation chahti hai to mai 1st week Jan me chandigarh me hi hu.. aap saare letter muze bhijwa de to mai personily unke hath me soup dunga... official root ki garanty na hai pr ye kam to mai kr dunga....

urmiladuhan
December 24th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Harvinder Malik (Dec 23, 2002 01:15 a.m.):
aap CM tk letters pahunchana aur confirmation chahti hai to mai 1st week Jan me chandigarh me hi hu.. aap saare letter muze bhijwa de to mai personily unke hath me soup dunga... official root ki garanty na hai pr ye kam to mai kr dunga....

Thankyou Harvinder jee. Can i fax you the letter? Post will take anywhere from 5-15 days to reach India from U.S.