PDA

View Full Version : Jats and Alcohol

sansanwalamit
February 27th, 2003, 04:47 PM
I do not understand the love hate relationship between Jats and Alcohol.....either I see Jats totally in love with alcohol (drinking till there bodies or their pocktes cant take it anymore) or with a hatred towards it(considering it a sin and looking at alcohol consumers as people deprived of senses)
since my childhood I have seen 100s of speicemens of both kinds ......it is very evident that alcohol has broken and shettered many homes of our community ....where men get addicted to it they forget their families and end up broke or even finishing themselves because of it ...and leaving behind huge responsibilities and a weeping widow and mom.....and may be due to this there are people who develop an attitude of regarding alcohol consumption as a sin ....thinking of alcohol consumers are stupid people .....what I do not understand here is why cannot we people respect alcohol and enjoy it like most of other people around us ....why is it only in our community that alcohol has such a role to play...at times its actually feels like a curse ...
if we go down to villages we find that people are alcoholics from a young age....what is the reason of this ......why our community has suffered so much because of it .....why in most cases more prosperous a Jat is more alcoholic he becomes ...is there someting within us that we develop this addiction instead of just enjoying it at times ...taking a drink or two or maybe three but not gulping down the whole bottle.....are we addictive personalities as we do have drug abuse too in our villages....what is the reason for it ....please give me some views on it while keeping the sensitivity of this topic in minnd

scsheorayan
February 27th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Did you also notice that all those people who got hooked on alcohol were very good in their chosen profession and decent human beings. Believe certain personality types are more prone to addiction than others and usually those are not the dullest ones. The there is matter of affordability and social acceptance. Because all taboos fromalcohol have disappeared over the years people who are well off have more time and money to indulge and ultimately get hooked on it. Other half who despise it are probably as intelligent but also possess some self discipline which prevents them following the alcoholics.

It is a serious problem every where more so in the villages where people have more free time.

sansanwalamit
February 28th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Mr Sheorayan Thank you for your reply,
it does makes sense to me that some presonalities are more addictive then the rest and I also think that we jats have a majority of them among ourselves .....well we are passionate people and thats how we are addictive thats what I assume......but it is no excuse to become an alcoholic..........
but there is one more quetsion that comes in my mind right now ...that is why is a person's character is judged by drinking alcohol ... ......I mean if someone is not an alcoholic but who enjoys it just like people enjoy tea or coffee.....why is his character judged upon that ...I mean why do people asked whenever they wanna make a nuptial agreement that .....KYA AAPKA BETA CIGG. SHARAB PITA HAI.....or why do some parents themselves say that.....JEE HAMRA BETA TO NAA CIGG BIDI SHRABA KUCH NAHIN KARTA.....I mean what kinda foolishness is this.....I am 22 and among my peers I have hardly come acorss with anyone who doesnt do such things especially in my commmunity ....though some of them hide it from their parents ....but I have seen boys themselves lying about it ....but I dont think its there fault....why is such a silly question is aksed in first place ...I mean if you need to know whether a person is an alcoholic or a chain smoker then one should simply asked that ....so that one wouldnt lie as well....and how would it make a difference if a boy is social drinker or occasional smoker ...I mean these questions definitely suggest that people do have a bad opinion about drinkers which doesnt make sense to me .....I mean why do people lie about it ....or people ask about it ..why there are silly pre concieved notions about people who enjoy drinking ....why dont people ask certain questions as does your beta have respect for elders .....has he had reckless sexual life or not........is he responsible ...does he respect women.....instead of asking does he drink or smoke ...now someone plzz tell me what questions make more sense to you...I have seen people disresepcting women and their parents, having irresponsible behaviour, reckless sexual life but I have hardly seen an alcoholic or a chain smoker between the age of 23-28.....thus why do we have this attitude towards alcohol it just beats me....I guess we need to educate ourselves towards the concept of drinking and not take it as a measure to define someone's character.......

lrburdak
March 3rd, 2003, 12:49 PM
Dear Amit
If drinking habbit is limited to an individual who can afford and this is not effecting the community it can not be said to be that bad. If you are talking about perception of the society about alcoholism it may be due to historical and cultural reasons.When it becomes a custom to drink in a community it is certainly harmful to the community. People do not have financial capability but have to drink due to customs only or some people who are rich and want to show higher status by drinking, it is not good. Reformers of the community have always advocated against it. Some of the communities have gone down due to alcoholism .