PDA

View Full Version : Your Native Place and What to do if you don't live there.

scsheorayan
March 9th, 2003, 02:04 PM
The suggestions received at to-day's Jat picnic were varying. Some examples are;

1. Sell your farm and house every thing and invest in a city.
2. Let your remaining family members (if any) look after it and benefit from it.
3. Let your remaining family members look after it and pay you the returns received.

4. Don't sell it if you can afford it because that is your last tie with your ancestors.

Let us hear what opinions the reders on this site have for those Jats who were born in the village and grew up there and moved to city and made a career for themselves and some even moved overseas. Would you rather forget about your dear village ?

sunju11
March 9th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Hi,

I will go with option 4.Moreover, we all should also try to repay back to our roots in some way.Like donating to the village school, temple or helping someone who wants to study.I have seen, we ought to forget and don't help anyone from same village.Might be jealousy.

lrburdak
March 9th, 2003, 04:18 PM
I also will choose option 4. To look after the ancestral property we can also suppliment with option 2. It is important that the property is properly looked after. We assume that we can afford it so a part of income can be ploughed back for the development of that village. It is also necessary that we keep in touch with the village. We should visit the village at regular intervails.

ranjitjat
March 9th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Subhachand ji- RAMRAM
Nice topic.
I will go for option 4.
When there is joint family. the family will look after it any way.
The joint family system is breaking up. any way
We are among the few joint families in our village any way.
this is going on for 4 generations in our family- any way.
Most of the NRI already gone for option 1- & sold the village land- any way.
Who care in this care free world- any way
Good luck & cheers any way
God bless you all any way

ssiwach
March 9th, 2003, 08:03 PM
I think I will go for option 3 . If I am settled in city and some of the members are in village and they want to stay their then I will ask them to take care of the property and return me a part. I won't ask them for return because I need it but because this way they will take care of the property sincerlly. They will be benifitted and property will be in good hands and good shape too.
We must take care of the property otherwise somebody else will. By having the property , we still have a place of our own to go and stay in village. and tie with our ancestors will remain.

Sanjeev

sansanwalamit
March 10th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Option 4 is the best one for me .....
well right now I am also too young for to even think about these issues .....still I know such situtaion will come one day .....
I am also thankful as my village is right in a big city ...thus rest of the options do not matter to me as well...and what matters is the lionk to my ancestors and yes I do not want to be a weak link and whatever I am today is surely ebcause of this gift of my ancestors to me thus parting with it would surely be like cutting of a part of my body......

saroj
March 10th, 2003, 04:26 AM
Here is my family side of the story about our village house. Forty odd years ago, my parents moved to city. We spent most of our summer holidays in our village house. We have a very big family in the village. My parents used to go there regularly and always stayed at their own house. When my parents divided the property, they allotted the village house to my eldest brother. After few years, my brother put the house in the market. You know what first thing my father did; he took the house and gave it to my youngest brother. Now he regularly visits the village to inspect the house. Every year after monsoon, he hires some to repair the house. My father’s wish was to keep the house in good condition to last generation after generation. Every time when we visit there it brings back to us our childhood memories. So keep the house as long as you can.

ranjitjat
March 10th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Saroj Ji
very touching -real story.
This is lesson to every one in the community.
The same message i am giving to my children. Never sale the house- where i and my foreFATHERS WERE BORN.

tHANK YOU SHARING YOUR STORY.
cHEERS

ompati
March 10th, 2003, 05:47 AM
I will go for option 2. We did like this to our family house. My husband and his two other brothers, who have good jobs agreed to give the ancestral home to their 'Majhla brother', who looks after agricultural land in our village. If I am successful in my mission, I will ask my husband to give at least our part of the agricultural land to his brother who stays in the village. We are well settled in our life and hope that our children can do much better than us. So why to keep an eye on the land. In this way, I hope we will be able to be in constant touch with our ancesteral home. In our case, this has strengthened family ties.

Ompati

scsheorayan
March 10th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Thanks every one for sharing your personal stories with jatland members. There must be other members who wish to shed some light on what heritage means to them.Even if it does not apply to you you are welcome to share your opinions and experiences. High points and low points (which there must be with so much of materialism around). Keep them coming any way.

gajeshd
March 10th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Shubhai Ji,

Thanks for bringing in focus such an important and relevent issue.

Although I am still not in position to take a dicision but when ever I am i think I will go for option 2 as my father has been opting.

But I would like to go little beyond that like starting some social project like free medical facility/ health & Hygiene awareness / literacy programme/ employment generation etc.

Interestingly our village(although very small) is an exclusive Jat village. The village was settled by my great grand father in middle of barren desert land near Palwal (in Faridabad Distt.) over 300 Acres of land. My tauji's and my father put in lot of efforts to make the land fertile. Now it is in good shape. All the service providers like Nai, Brahmin, sweeper, farm labour comes from the neighbouring villages daily. But liqour,rivalaries,lack of interest in education are major blocks in the development.

sanjaychhikara
March 10th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Like Amit bhai rightly suggested I am also too yong to think about this issue or lets say decide about it. We live in a joint-family, so there are many others to think about it. Option 4; Don't sell it if you can afford it because that is your last tie with your ancestors. This is the best option I would choose.
Their is a tradition in our family no to sell our land, just keep expanding it, I would follow that line. At this stage I can tell that we dont life in the village, we life only 10 km from it so thats not that far from it, we are still expanding our land in the village. This is also a way to keep in touch with your village.
And personnally I think the arcitecture of a hawelis is so beautiful that u cannot compare it with a new koti. It makes me proud that my elders still care about our village. We try to help the villagers in every possible way we can. Every time I go to India, I visit my village, althought I was not born there, still I have a very stronge connection with it.

shokeen123
March 11th, 2003, 12:23 AM
"Your Native Place and What to do if you don't live there?"

For me the poem, "The old house" might suffice as an answer! Treasure the memories!

uday
March 11th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Sujataji,
Very nicely answered..." Treasure of MEMORIES "..

lukam chupaai khelte-khelte Dasooti main chup jana...
Dadaji ki chilam bharna...
Gher main jawaar ki puliyoon main se se kachharee todna....
Barje ( nowadays Balconey) main beth kar sardeyyon main dhoop sekna..
Garmiyoon main chatt ( terrace) per sona...
Peedha rakh kar Khoontee per se gheeladi main se ghee khaana....
bela ( Copper-pot) le kar byah main jaana....
Bhens ki poonch pakad kar swimming sikhna...
Johad main Eet ( brick) phek kar nikalna or kehna " Yeh Bahu Kiski ... Ya bahy meree "
Johad per Thalsan ( Reptan..slippary mud) per fisalna...
Khichhadee main Taijise jyada ghee dalwana...
Padosiyon ke bachoon ko Majak main toothpatse (Colgate) khila dena.....
JAAL ke ped per kai danka khelna...

Fond memories.. This is the real which one carries till his whole lifecycle.."TREASURE"... IT'S AN INDIVIDUAL DECISION WHETHER ONE WANTS TO KEEP THIS TREASURE OR NOT...

Sujata (Mar 10, 2003 01:53 p.m.):
"Your Native Place and What to do if you don't live there?"

For me the poem, "The old house" might suffice as an answer! Treasure the memories!

ompati
March 12th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Very nice presentation Uday.

uday
March 13th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Thanx Ompatiji

amitdahiya
March 18th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Shubha chand Ji
Pranam its been along time since I have had the pleasure of catching up with one of your communications.

I feel that the property in the village should benefit only those who stay behind to work on the land. If you leave the village and forsake all monetary benfit you will eliminate any resentment that might come up with regard to sharing the income from the land. You will also through this magnanimity ensure an abiding position of respect in your own family and the members of your Thola and Paana. When some of our land was acquired by the government for some new sectors I invested the new money in agricultural land in other places wherever land was available, immediately before any one could even think of converting agricultural wealth into something else. My siblings who are settled outside the village have no share in the income from the land because they contribute no effort to creating any agricultural income. They are entitled to and do receive all their requirements of grain cereals oil and other produce for their annual requirements since it is avery special pleasure to eat the produce of your own land. I believe that only tension and sadness can result from any effort by those who leave the village to continue to excercise ownership and pecuniary interest in the land and its income once they have left.

scsheorayan
March 19th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Parnam Amit ji,

Nice to hear from you. How did the Ride for Pride go ? Please enlighten us. Must have missed it due to problems with my home computer. Probably some IT wiz can help me resolve the problem with my Windows 98 on Pentium 2 ( looks old but it was new compared to my XT 1984 model which was thrown out in my absence). The problem is with number of colours there are only 16 available instead of 256. They say driver is the problem but don't know how to fix it. If any one knows I will be grateful for information.

Coming back to the topic under discussion, thanks to all those who contributed to it. It confirms that we are predominantly sentimental which can be a harnessed to be a great motivator under right circumstances. There are no right or wrong answers and we can not tell some one what to do with his/her inheritance or possessions. It is very much an individual's decision however a number of factors can influence the process of making this decision.

To start with in most cases the native place was probably inherited by you and if you want to be fair to next generation the attempt should be to add some value to whatever you started with . Tough call especially for those who have no time even to visit the place regularly. But that is the choice people make and ofcourse learn to live with it. We are free to make whatever decisions we make on any issue but we are not at all free to choose the outcome which results from our decisions. This is one of those decisions which needs careful considerations on many fronts.

Let us say if we treat our whole life as a smooth running corporation with number of departments all humming in synergy and producing profit for shareholders and founding members alike. In case of our own life founding members are our parents then follow various departments e.g. education, production, finance , marketing etc. All these departments are essential to our wholesome life and we have to allocate necessary resources to maintain the function and upgrade it with time. In this scheme our original place can be represented by Corporation's logo e.g. Star for Mercedes and Windows for Microsoft. These logos probably are not worth much to outsider but for the company itself it is very very important and they will not sell them for any thing. For those who consider their native place central to their existence will not sell it for any thing but for others it is probably just a piece of land or property with no intrinsic value. By disposing it off you have decided to shut down the heritage department and cut yourself off from the umbilical chord of your identity. By shutting your parents out of your life you are sacking the founder of the company and by cutting yourself off from rest of your family you are shutting down the PR Department. Being a CEO of your own life you have to decide how many departments you want to have working for you and at what synergistic level. Money is not every thing and what we can see is not the only thing which matters. What we can not see but can feel may at times be more important. Therefore due considerations must be given to all the factors which could influence your decision making with respect to your native place.
In old age people do become like children and you may long for your birth place but if you have shut down that department there is no going back.

amitdahiya
March 20th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Shubha Chand Ji Ram Rram,
The Reccee of the Ride for pride was done on the 21st of February with riders froim as far away as Jullandhar in Punjab, and Bera In Rajasthan. The Haryana Government has badly letdown the Haryanvi Jats for whom we needed Horses. They are crack riders but do not have the resources to mantain horses after retirement from the army so we ahad approached the Govt of Haryana. At the last monet we were let down and so the event has been postponed even though the punjab and the rajasthani columns are well mounted and ready to go at a mutually convenient date so right now I am running around all over the country begging, borrowing and rustling horsees for the Hindu Jats I need about 125. Any ideas/ suggestions/ thoughts, I hear they breed nice big horses in Australia do you by any chance keep any horses there.

With rgard to your very relevant post I just dont believe in the sale of agricultural land or its ownership by those who do not need to cultivate it or lack the experiential skill to do so. I feel the emotional attachment for a genuine and good farmer comes from his dependence on the land and his symbiotic relationship with it. I dont think that one could reverse engineer the process by starting off with some emotional attachment and then becoming a good farmer. Shared ownership is a mess and only works when a joint family is headed by a strong, sometimes tyrannical but always nurturing head of the family. In the absence of such a personality divisions grow and occur inevitably.
Yours respecfully
Amit

Shubha Chand Sheorayan (Mar 18, 2003 09:12 p.m.):
Parnam Amit ji,

Nice to hear from you. How did the Ride for Pride go ? Please enlighten us. Must have missed it due to problems with my home computer. Probably some IT wiz can help me resolve the problem with my Windows 98 on Pentium 2 ( looks old but it was new compared to my XT 1984 model which was thrown out in my absence). The problem is with number of colours there are only 16 available instead of 256. They say driver is the problem but don't know how to fix it. If any one knows I will be grateful for information.

Coming back to the topic under discussion, thanks to all those who contributed to it. It confirms that we are predominantly sentimental which can be a harnessed to be a great motivator under right circumstances. There are no right or wrong answers and we can not tell some one what to do with his/her inheritance or possessions. It is very much an individual's decision however a number of factors can influence the process of making this decision.

To start with in most cases the native place was probably inherited by you and if you want to be fair to next generation the attempt should be to add some value to whatever you started with . Tough call especially for those who have no time even to visit the place regularly. But that is the choice people make and ofcourse learn to live with it. We are free to make whatever decisions we make on any issue but we are not at all free to choose the outcome which results from our decisions. This is one of those decisions which needs careful considerations on many fronts.

Let us say if we treat our whole life as a smooth running corporation with number of departments all humming in synergy and producing profit for shareholders and founding members alike. In case of our own life founding members are our parents then follow various departments e.g. education, production, finance , marketing etc. All these departments are essential to our wholesome life and we have to allocate necessary resources to maintain the function and upgrade it with time. In this scheme our original place can be represented by Corporation's logo e.g. Star for Mercedes and Windows for Microsoft. These logos probably are not worth much to outsider but for the company itself it is very very important and they will not sell them for any thing. For those who consider their native place central to their existence will not sell it for any thing but for others it is probably just a piece of land or property with no intrinsic value. By disposing it off you have decided to shut down the heritage department and cut yourself off from the umbilical chord of your identity. By shutting your parents out of your life you are sacking the founder of the company and by cutting yourself off from rest of your family you are shutting down the PR Department. Being a CEO of your own life you have to decide how many departments you want to have working for you and at what synergistic level. Money is not every thing and what we can see is not the only thing which matters. What we can not see but can feel may at times be more important. Therefore due considerations must be given to all the factors which could influence your decision making with respect to your native place.
In old age people do become like children and you may long for your birth place but if you have shut down that department there is no going back.

scsheorayan
April 3rd, 2003, 04:30 PM
Thanks Amit ji,

Government bashing will not help your cause. It just goes to show that you can always count on two things first the selfishness and second the stupidity.

Yes Australia does have good horses and we do ride sometimes but keeping your own horse is too much work because labour is so expensive and one has to all chores which is time consuming.

If you really want to achieve some thing in life start by discounting help from others and am sure you will get there sooner or later and will not be let down by others. Life is a journey enjoy every day of it without worrying about destination. If your path is right and keep walking, sooner or later you get there.

Chal akela, chal akela,
tera mela peechche chhota rahi
Chal akela!!

As far as the joint families are concerned, it is a dying breed and great loss for our culture. In another 25 years one will only find these examples in the books. The real reason is that we are forgetting the value of sacrifice wihtout which joint family or any family can not live happily. We are forgetting to give and learning to rob. In other words the we are becoming too clever for our own good. Do you know who leads this race ? Educated and influential people who could easily be role models. They are role models alright but on the wrong track.

Love is in short supply and hate is abound. If the love compels you to maintain your native place it is worth but if it only causes hate in your heart then think about the personal price you are paying for your emotional attachment.

Good luck and Best wishes.

anne
April 3rd, 2003, 06:28 PM
As far as my opinion goes, i think i would go with option 2 so that proper care of property is taken which can be possible only by ppl who own it. and the members of family living outside the village can come and enjoy village life in their vacations!! I think one should never sell his/her ancestral land/home cuz its always showing us our roots....from where we orginated and our parents came!

akdalal
April 4th, 2003, 04:09 PM
I believe that:

1. if its a joint family than any way the ancestorial property will be looked after.

2. If there is no one to look after than some one else will acquire it and the your name may vanish from the village history. Its better to sell of the property and do some dharam ka kaam in village itself on behalf of your ancestors like kuan (well) banva do, dharamshala khulva do, etc...

ANY TAKERS of this suggestion.

regards,

Anand Dalal

ranjitjat
April 4th, 2003, 06:58 PM
Dear Anand
I agree with you on both points.
Sawami Omanand ji- donated his 70 acres land in Narela village to KANYA GURUKUL NARELA.
Bhagat Phulsingh To KANYA GURUKUL KHANPHUR KLAN

kulwant
February 17th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Sheoran Sahab,

Your all options look nice to me if the person is doing it with good intentions. It also depends upon the Circumstances(which option to choose).
Aur kayi baar to baat in options tai BAhar bi chali jya sai.

As far as giving back to the family which is living in the village, it depends not only on the donor but the person recieving it also must be willing to take that help in a spirited manner.

After all it depends up on the individual what he wants to do with his ancestoral property. Ofcourse I will agree with all of you that Nostalgic Feelings about one's roots are always very nice.

I will just ask one thing, For how long we can keep our ROOTS intact......one genration...Two generations......Three generations.....Four generations......or FOREVER?

The suggestions received at to-day's Jat picnic were varying. Some examples are;

1. Sell your farm and house every thing and invest in a city.
2. Let your remaining family members (if any) look after it and benefit from it.
3. Let your remaining family members look after it and pay you the returns received.

4. Don't sell it if you can afford it because that is your last tie with your ancestors.

Let us hear what opinions the reders on this site have for those Jats who were born in the village and grew up there and moved to city and made a career for themselves and some even moved overseas. Would you rather forget about your dear village ?

devdahiya
February 17th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Sheoran Sahab,

Your all options look nice to me if the person is doing it with good intentions. It also depends upon the Circumstances(which option to choose).
Aur kayi baar to baat in options tai BAhar bi chali jya sai.

As far as giving back to the family which is living in the village, it depends not only on the donor but the person recieving it also must be willing to take that help in a spirited manner.

After all it depends up on the individual what he wants to do with his ancestoral property. Ofcourse I will agree with all of you that Nostalgic Feelings about one's roots are always very nice.

I will just ask one thing, For how long we can keep our ROOTS intact......one genration...Two generations......Three
generations.....Four generations......or FOREVER?

BHAI KULWANT,

Very pertinent and timely question and mind you answer is not easy to find?Preserving a culture or heritage is not a joke as it has a tendency to get influenced and abused by changes taking place as the time goes by and hence not easy to tell as to for what period of time it can be sustained.Also there are thousand other considerations with the indviduals to ponder and choose what is best for an indvidual?Sustanity of culture require great sacrifices and determination By majority of clan/group and the basic requirement is whole hearted support and a sense of pride for it. We somhow could not promote our language or culture like panjabis due to lack of forethought and lack of pride in ourselves and answer to the question posed by you is not at all simple.LET US DO OUR BIT PLEASE.

punia
February 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Hello everybody, I will go for option 2 and 4. I have very strong ties with my Family and they are there to look after the house and land so they should also benefit from it. So long we can afford it we will not even think of selling and loosing ties with our roots.

scsheorayan
February 21st, 2005, 03:43 PM
:) Dear All,

Thank you very much for posting your frank opinions. What do you give to some one who has every thing. I will say heritage. We may provide our children every thing but if heritage is missing they will sooner or later start searching for their roots. If you have roots preserve them if you can. It is individual's decision how much importance one places on heritage. Once gone you can not get it back.

brad
February 22nd, 2005, 01:08 PM
this is what really happens: if u are away in city/overseas, whoever is in the village will grab ur land and kick u out.

ajayverma1973
February 22nd, 2005, 06:25 PM
I will go sure for option four, though we came delhi when i was just 6yrs old. but we used to go our village on marriage or functions is our relations. After all our roots are from village, that is our matrabhumi.

Cheers